PDA

View Full Version : Absorption + Energy Transformation Field...How?

liquid150
2010-07-02, 05:38 PM
Is not Absorption a Personal range spell, with a target of You? How can you key it to an Energy Transformation Field?

PS - yeah I'm talking about tricksies. I like getting hit with rulebooks.

sofawall
2010-07-02, 05:42 PM
Well, Magic of the Land and Spellguard of Silverymoon give it a range.

liquid150
2010-07-02, 05:49 PM
Well, Magic of the Land and Spellguard of Silverymoon give it a range.

I don't see anything in Magic of the Land that would give it range.

Douglas
2010-07-02, 07:28 PM
That's because MotL is not where the non-personal part comes from. MotL just allows the spell to qualify for the Spellguard ability, and that is what converts personal range to something else.

sofawall
2010-07-02, 09:09 PM
I don't see anything in Magic of the Land that would give it range.

Note: "Or" does not mean the same thing as "and".

Siosilvar
2010-07-02, 10:00 PM
Note: "Or" does not mean the same thing as "and".

Except when you're using the English language, when "or" can sometimes mean a logical "and" and vice versa.

For example, if I said that Incantatrix and Arcane Thesis reduce the cost of metamagic, would you take that to mean in combination?

sofawall
2010-07-02, 10:06 PM
Yes. I would. It would also be true.

Siosilvar
2010-07-02, 10:08 PM
Yes. I would. It would also be true.

But either one also does it by themselves. "and" (not logical and), when used in a typical English-language sentence, usually means that one or the other or both can do something. If both are required, you (usually) need to specify in order to be clear.

sofawall
2010-07-02, 10:24 PM
But either one also does it by themselves.
"and" (not logical and), when used in a typical English-language sentence, usually means that one or the other or both can do something. If both are required, you (usually) need to specify in order to be clear.

I tend to assume the opposite. Usually I will say "A and B both work for X" to mean either will work. "A and B work for X" I would assume means you need both.

liquid150
2010-07-03, 12:46 AM
I tend to assume the opposite. Usually I will say "A and B both work for X" to mean either will work. "A and B work for X" I would assume means you need both.

A and B work for X = A and B both work for X, they are interchangeable.

The proper way to say it would be "A and B together work for X," or "Using both A and B will work for X."

liquid150
2010-07-03, 09:47 AM
I suppose I might as well clarify on why I want to know. I'm looking at putting together a TO Red Wizard just for kicks to show why Red Wizards are the likely most powerful prestige class in the DMG. I know this can depend on your personal character, but humor me.

I would really like to get my Red Wizard levels to 10 for Great Circle Leader.

I also don't think Spellguard of Silverymoon really mixes with Red wizard. :smallbiggrin:

Douglas
2010-07-03, 09:57 AM
I also don't think Spellguard of Silverymoon really mixes with Red wizard. :smallbiggrin:
I don't know, maybe a deep undercover agent...:smallamused:

hamishspence
2010-07-03, 09:58 AM
The Red Wizards set up trade enclaves everywhere- possibly including Silverymoon- and he left the enclave, volunteered for the Spellguard, and passed all the character tests?

Or- he could be a wizard born and raised in one of those trade enclaves near, rather than in, Silverymoon, he chose to explore the world, wound up in Silverymoon, and chose to sign up to the Spellguard?

Red Wizards can be any nongood alignment- a neutral Red Wizard might actually like the folk of Silverymoon.

Siosilvar
2010-07-03, 02:06 PM

You're just going to end up confusing the majority of English speakers.