PDA

View Full Version : Elder evils in what order?

Doctor D&D
2010-07-02, 08:12 PM
So let's say I wanted to DM an almost plotless PbP/skype campaign where planescaping/spelljamming heroes travel the planes and prime killing elder evils. I'm thinking lvl15 gestalt and doing all the elder evils.

Problem is I haven't read the whole book and wanted to know in what order I should go in. Which seems to be the easiest and which should be the last?

Thanks.

Ernir
2010-07-02, 08:48 PM
Erm... how about just going through them in CR order?

Anyway, the point of Elder Evils is usually to be used as campaign capstones, not mundane monsters to be slaughtered by a marauding band of adventurers. =/

lsfreak
2010-07-02, 08:57 PM
CR order if you insist on doing this.

But there's problems with doing it that way. The way they're set up, it's trying to stop they from being released. If they're out and well-established on a world, the PC's flat out can't fight them. If they're not yet established, then someone is trying to free them, but one person on a planet of millions in the case of some of them is going to be painfully hard to find and the PC's will fail, unless they're given suspension-of-disbelief-ruining Power of Plot.

Quirinus_Obsidian
2010-07-02, 09:03 PM
I can't wait to see someone fight a fully combined Pandorym... :smalleek: :smalleek: :smalleek: :smalleek: :smalleek: :smalleek: :smalleek: :smalleek: :smalleek: :smalleek: :smalleek: :smalleek: :smalleek: :smalleek: :smalleek: :smalleek: :smalleek: :smalleek: :smalleek: :smalleek:

Skeppio
2010-07-02, 09:16 PM
Boss Rush!

But seriously, I don't think the Elder Evils are designed to work like that. Most of their stat blocks aren't meant to be their full power. If they were at full power, no-one would ever beat them (Pandorym stands out here). So it'd take a huge stretch of plot for the PCs to fight each one without one of em beefing up and eating the universe.

Boci
2010-07-02, 09:23 PM
Boss Rush!

But seriously, I don't think the Elder Evils are designed to work like that. Most of their stat blocks aren't meant to be their full power. If they were at full power, no-one would ever beat them (Pandorym stands out here). So it'd take a huge stretch of plot for the PCs to fight each one without one of em beefing up and eating the universe.

Key of Nine-Fold Destruction? 9 different sites, each release one Elder Evil, all they require is a ritual and the age old artifact. Could even give the PCs the satisfaction of killing an Elder Evil before it even got its essence onto their home plane.

Doctor D&D
2010-07-02, 09:28 PM
Key of Nine-Fold Destruction? 9 different sites, each release one Elder Evil, all they require is a ritual and the age old artifact. Could even give the PCs the satisfaction of killing an Elder Evil before it even got its essence onto their home plane.

This was my basic premise. A band of inter-planar heroes travel to different Prime worlds stopping elder evils. Very light on the plot. Not really killing elder evils but stopping them as per the source book.

Marriclay
2010-07-02, 11:10 PM
What I did, kind of heavy on the plot, was get a character who is so powerful working behind the scenes to bring one or more elder evils to the world by manipulating circumstances, and as the PCs catch on, they continue o stop his Eldritch Abominations. I played such a campaign not too long ago, and introduced Ragnorra, Father Lymic, and Atropus all in the same game. the capstone was fighting the epic wizard who had organized all of it.

Tanuki Tales
2010-07-02, 11:22 PM
I honestly find it more interesting if you run a group through a "crap sack world" scenario where an Elder Evil was more or less released in almost its full power and was barely repulsed, costing the world many lives and resources.

I actually was in a game where a few months prior Atropus nearly collided with the campaign world before being repelled at the cost of the lives of most of the setting's upper leveled NPCs. The group were more or less running around in a Zombie Apocalypse before the campaign died. It was a pity too since a good chunk of it would have been a decision to either:

- Help the remaining living kingdoms rebuild the world.
- Conquer the world for themselves
or
- Rape, burn and pillage until the found a workable way off the planet since magic (especially extraplanar stuff) was working wonky since Atropus' visit.

Lots of moral decisions to be made.

But anyways; I think its a better challenge for a group to clean up an Elder Evil's mess than to actually stop it from awakening or defeating the thing.

The Glyphstone
2010-07-02, 11:51 PM
- Rape, burn and pillage until the found a workable way off the planet since magic (especially extraplanar stuff) was working wonky since Atropus' visit.

*Tweeeeeeet*

I'm sorry, sir, but I have to issue you a citation for that - violation of the Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule 1: Pillage, then burn.

Marriclay
2010-07-03, 12:30 AM
*Tweeeeeeet*

I'm sorry, sir, but I have to issue you a citation for that - violation of the Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule 1: Pillage, then burn.

I must learn of these rules. where may I find them?

Corporate M
2010-07-03, 01:20 AM
I like the concept of fighting and being able to defeat ultimate evils. I don't know of these "elder evils" you speak of. But like the aspects of fiendish lords, I'd roleplay as they're the actual thing.

Devils: There's a reason there's political upheavel, overthrowings, and plots against eachother. They're powerful... But they're not all powerful... And thats why they need to accumulate MORE power via mortal's soul... More then likely if you're going to battle a devil lord, you'll be doing so with an alliance with ANOTHER devil lord, or at the very least it'll be beneficary to a devil's rival... Devils most often lead to bittersweet victories...

Demons: Demons aren't all powerful either. But quite more insane. The only thing seperating an arch demon from a normal one, is an arch one is smart enough to realize he's got something good, and not to squander it by running into battle. However, because of the infinite stryfe, conflict, and chaos that goes on in the abyss. Most demons only minamally even care of the mortal realm. Which is good for the particularly clever and aware ones who know that's a much more reliable and easy source of power then trying to control the abyss! Demons can leave a bitter taste in the mouth, as even when you destroy demon lords, it doesn't mean another won't re-emerge down the line. Demons don't have souls, they simply spawn at an increddible rate, and some are born with power, and some are born with a brain. And some are born with a power AND a brain...

Kris Strife
2010-07-03, 01:31 AM
I must learn of these rules. where may I find them?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schlock_Mercenary#The_Seven_Habits_of_Highly_Effec tive_Pirates

Here are the ones that have been stated so far.