PDA

View Full Version : Rolling up 17th level for undead campaign

Popertop
2010-07-03, 03:12 AM
Okay, so I gotta roll up a character for this big undead campaign. Vosque is the name of the undead cleric we have to fight, he's trying to ascend to godhood by ruling the earth for 100 years. So big epic fights are on the way. Anyway, we have like 10 people in the group already, the only bases not covered are skill monkey, slightly cleric (the cleric we have in our group isn't that experienced), and meat shield. I don't wanna play a rogue, since undead are immune to crit, I would feel very useless. And I would rather have something with a bit of divine casting since there is only going to be one cleric. I'm really not inclined to play a meat shield, I'm pretty sure I'll need at least some casting to cover my ass.

I was thinking of going Sacred Fist (4 Clr/2 Monk/10 SF)
but I don't know where I wanna go after that.
I'm not sure what prestige classes would help
after I get most of what sacred fist has to offer.
If all else fails I would just go more levels of cleric after sacred fist,
but I think there's a really obvious prestige class I'm missing.

BobVosh
2010-07-03, 04:26 AM
Play a rogue if you like, lots of ways around the immune to sneak attack thing.

Low level spell: grave strike (SpC)
ACF: Don't remember what it is called..or the book, but it is the book with factotums. (dungeonscape?)
Magic enhancement: Ghoststrike (MiC)

Radiant servant of pelor does kill undead something fierce.

Since you are thinking monk, and know you are going undead hunting make sure you got undead bane, ghost touch in your amulet of mighty fists.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-07-03, 04:29 AM
Cleric + Trapmonkey: LE Kobold Cloistered Cleric (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#clericVariantCloistere dCleric), Knowledge, Trickery, and Kobold (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060420a) domains, stay single classed. Raised as a servant of Kurtulmak, he secretly converted to worshipping Vecna in his early days and has since mentored dozens of sorcerers in whom he recognized exceptional skill and breeding. Feats should be Whispered Secrets (RoD), Item Familiar (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/itemFamiliars.htm), Extend Spell, Persistent Spell, DMM: Persistent, and Darkstalker (LoM). You should probably get the spontaneous domain casting ACF from PH2 for the Trickery domain, since spontaneously casting inflict spells won't be of much use. Be sure to get a Dagger of Denial (CD) and plenty of Night Sticks (LM).

For a pure trapmonkey, play a Factotum from Dungeonscape. I'm sure you can google a guide on how to build/play one.

If you want to just make a character to win, make a Cleric of Pelor 5/ Morninglord 1/ Radiant Servant 5/ Morninglord+. Get the Healing and Sun domains, plus Glory from Radiant Servant. Morninglord is in Player's Guide to Faerun, and can easily be adapted from Lathander to Pelor since they're basically twins, separated at birth to rule over different settings. You'll need Improved Turning and Extra Turning to qualify for everything, and you should get the spontaneous domain casting ACF from PH2 for the Healing domain since it's the same thing but better compared to spontaneously casting cures. Get a Phylactery of Undead Turning (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#phylacteryofUndeadTurning), Scepter of the Netherworld (LM), Rod of Defiance (LM/MIC), Ephod of Authority (MIC), Circlet of Persuasion (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#circletofPersuasion) (a turning check is a Cha-based check), and any I may have missed. At level 17 with Improved Turning, you'll be treated as though you were 26th level for purposes of turning undead, and any nearby undead will be treated as though they were four levels/HD lower for purposes of turning checks. You'll get enough Greater Turnings to obliterate every encounter each day, tank around in heavy armor, and Radiant Servant even grants proficiency in martial weapons.

BobTheDog
2010-07-03, 09:36 AM
If you want to just make a character to win, make a Cleric of Pelor 5/ Morninglord 1/ Radiant Servant 5/ Morninglord+. Get the Healing and Sun domains, plus Glory from Radiant Servant. Morninglord is in Player's Guide to Faerun, and can easily be adapted from Lathander to Pelor since they're basically twins, separated at birth to rule over different settings. You'll need Improved Turning and Extra Turning to qualify for everything, and you should get the spontaneous domain casting ACF from PH2 for the Healing domain since it's the same thing but better compared to spontaneously casting cures. Get a Phylactery of Undead Turning (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#phylacteryofUndeadTurning), Scepter of the Netherworld (LM), Rod of Defiance (LM/MIC), Ephod of Authority (MIC), Circlet of Persuasion (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#circletofPersuasion) (a turning check is a Cha-based check), and any I may have missed. At level 17 with Improved Turning, you'll be treated as though you were 26th level for purposes of turning undead, and any nearby undead will be treated as though they were four levels/HD lower for purposes of turning checks. You'll get enough Greater Turnings to obliterate every encounter each day, tank around in heavy armor, and Radiant Servant even grants proficiency in martial weapons.

Be careful with this. It has the potential to seriously annoy the DM because he can no longer use undead (they'll either die straight up or be too powerful to survive turning that they'll obliterate you). Then, chances are a very big dragon will show up and eat you.

At least, that's what happened to a PC that did this in one of my games... (The dragon was completely justified, I swear!) :smallbiggrin:

Eldariel
2010-07-03, 09:47 AM
Straight Cloistered Cleric would be a good choice; you can be a meatshield while also being the skill monkey and the divine caster. Disruption weapons for everyone! Chain it for good measure.

Why straight, you may ask? 'cause that means you get 9th level spells this level. Which means all manners of good stuff; Miracle to emulate various badass spells like Giant Size among other things. DMM: Persist would of course still help a ton but by these levels you can already Persist quite a bit without it. Get Easy Metamagic-type feat in Persistent Spell and you're good to go.

Idea is, of course, getting Divine Power up all day and working from there. This gives you full BAB, meaning you can kick butt just fine. Add to that various buffs (e.g. use Quarterstaff two-handed with Spikes & Greater Magic Weapon, add Righteous Might or so and you're already going to town) and you're good to go. Miracle gets you craziness like:
Bite of the Werebear [SC]
Owl's Insight [SC]
Giant Size [CArc]

Et cetera. You can also use 10 min/level buffs Extended to make 'em last all day. You can get however high Strength you want this way; though I suggest stopping at 60 or so. The DM might get frightened if you pump it too high. And of course, you can pump your Caster Level to make dispelling you a bit harder, and pack Ring of Spell-Battle [MiC] to redirect Disjunctions away from you. Ring of Greater Counterspells [MiC] with Greater Dispel Magic on them works too. And yeah, Battlemagic Perception [Heroes of Battle] is a spell you want on at all times to use countermagic as necessary. Divine Insight [SC] and Guidance of the Avatar [WoTC Site (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/sb/sb20010504a)] help your skillmonkey duties too.

But yeah, you can be the meatshield, the divine caster and the trapmonkey. Go for it!

jguy
2010-07-03, 09:48 AM
In my DM's undead campaign we use the damage variant from Complete Divine (might be Champion). You do 1D6/Cleric level within 30 foot radius, will save for half. The DC is 10+Cleric Level+Cha modifier. I asked that if I took the Sun Domain would allow me to do 2D6 damage. He agreed. I went Radiant servant and do 16D6+ 4 times a day! I have a small charisma for my class. If a monster has turn resistance it acts as DR

Paul H
2010-07-03, 10:07 AM
Hi

I'm playing a Cleric type in Age of Worms. Suggest you look at Cleric/Radiant Servant of Pelor PrC.

Immunity to Diseases. (including magical, eg. Mummy Rot), all spells from Healing Domain maximised & empowered, Martial wpns proficiency, light spells double area & count as one level higher, etc.

Use Spontaneous Domain to ensure you actually convert spells to Healing Domain, (not just spon healing as normal).

I'm 20th lvl, with items & domain power I count as 24th lvl for Mass Heal. So 360HP damage to Undead, (Will save for half). At 17th lvl, even without the items you're doing 270HP damage/healing to allies & undead! :smallcool:

Oh - if you've got access to Magic Item Compendium, get the full set of Wraith's Woe. 24,000GP, and too good NOT to take!

Thanks
Paul H
Edit: Some real Gems from Spell Compendium.....
1) Healing Lorecall allows you to substitute ranks in Heal fo CL with Conj (Heal) spells. So maxed out you are CL20, plus +1 for Healing Domain
2) If you can, DMM Gtr Visage Deity do become pseudo Half Celestial, wings, stats, SR, etc.
3) Undead Bane Weapon

Lhurgyof
2010-07-03, 10:13 AM
Ah, sweet; Sacred Fist is pretty cool. You might wanna look at other Monk prestige classes in the Oriental Adventures. There's one that gets paladin-esque abilities, the Shintao Monk. :)

Paul H
2010-07-03, 10:18 AM
Hi

My Age of Worms Undead Slayer....

Gareth Bonecrusher Dwarf Clr 9/Radiant Servant 10/Contemplative 1

In Righteous Form (Includes Items & Gtr Visage of Deity etc)

Str 24 (30 c/w Divine Power) Dex 12 Con 28 Int 12 Wis 30 Cha 27
BAB 13 (20 c/w Divine Power)
HP 268 +D8+9(78 + D8 Base, 179 Con, 20 Imp Tough) Increases to 288+D8+9 c/w Divine Power
AC 40 (42 vs Undead). Deflection+5, Shield +7, Nat +5, Fullplate +5 (Magic Vestment), Dex +1., Size -1
Note: Excludes Divine Protection (+1 Morale) and Shield of Warding (+5 Sacred)

Attack: Lge +5 Holy/Magebane/Dragonbane/Sacred/Undead Bane/Everbright Warhammer (Inc Gtr Magic Wpn& Undead Bane spells)
To Hit: +40/+35/30/+25/ (+2 vs Arcane Casters, Dragons & Undead) [Reduce to 31/26/21 without Divine Power]
Dam: 2D6+21 (+4 Enh +10 Str, +6 Divine Favour) [2D6+17 without Divine Pwr]
Vs Dracolich's add 11D6 ( 2D6 Holy, 2D6 Magebane, 2D6 Dragonbane, 2D6 Undeadbane, D6 Truedeath Crystal, D6 Wraith's Woe, D6 Sacred)

Saves: F 21 R 14 W 26 (Excludes +2 Resistance from Magic Circle vs Evil)
SR 25
DR 10/Magic & 15/Evil
Move 20' (20' in armour)
Fly 40' Good Maneuverability

Notable Equipment

Mithril Full Plate +2 Lt Fort/Death Ward/Blueshine (Plus Restful & Gtr Lifekeeping Crystals)
Lge Steel Shield +5 (plus Lssr Crystal Deflection)
+2 Holy/Sacred/Magebane/Dragonbane/Everbright Admamantine Dwarf Waraxe (Plus Gtr Truedeath Crystal)
+1 Comp Longbow (+5 Str)
M/c Longsword
2x M/c Daggers
Wraith's Woe set (Boosted for +6 Wis, +4 Con, +2 Dex)
Cloak Cha +6
Pearl Pwr Lvl 9
Gtr Ring Counterspells (Gtr Dispel in it)
Ring Mystic Healing
Book Cha +1
Book Wis +4
Belt Battle
Third Eye Concentration
Dimensionstride Boots
Orb Mental Renewal
Rod Bodily Restoration
Everlasting Ration Pack
Everfull Mug
5x Trueseeing Compoments
5x Stoneskin Components
Diamonds & Diamond Dust components
Mundane Adventuring Kit

Thanks
Paul H

Popertop
2010-07-03, 03:54 PM
Ah, sweet; Sacred Fist is pretty cool. You might wanna look at other Monk prestige classes in the Oriental Adventures. There's one that gets paladin-esque abilities, the Shintao Monk. :)

yeah, I really want something that stacks with my cleric-y, monk-y-ness.

Fisticuffs
2010-07-03, 04:31 PM
If you're not completely opposed to skill monkey, then maybe you should look into the Skullclan Hunter PrC from Minitaures Handbook. Off the top of my head they can sneak-attack undead at no penalty and gain immunities to many nasty things one can pick up from undead plus they're a Cleric/Rogue thing so you'd be able to support the other Cleric.

Khellendross
2010-07-03, 04:46 PM
Could do a prestige paladin/morning lord maybe? The healing touch from the paladin is hurtful to undead and has no save. Get a high cha and level and you'll touch the undead for 400dmg with no save. By by demi lich(if you can get that touch attack off)

Critical
2010-07-03, 04:51 PM
Your group is big enough, and I assume everything should be covered already. Have a good character instead. Necropolitan Bard, having troubles with smell issues who wants to be a famous performer, perhaps? :smallcool:

EDIT: Oh, fighting the undead campaign. :smallannoyed:

Eldariel
2010-07-03, 05:07 PM
yeah, I really want something that stacks with my cleric-y, monk-y-ness.

Do you really need Monk-levels for that though? A straight Cleric can fight with a Quarterstaff which is a very Monky weapon and get Wis to AC from Monk's Belt. That is to say, just because your character lacks the word "Monk" in the class line doesn't mean you can't be a Monk. Heck, Clerics are often of monastic upbringing and if you want some unarmed mojo, give him Improved and Superior Unarmed Strike and go to town. Straight Cleric will get you higher level spells which are very key for dealing with Undead, while still maintaining your ability to whoop ass and most importantly, your skillmonkey capabilities.

Sacred Fist is a fine frontliner but not that good a skillmonkey lacking Trapfinding and getting relatively few skillpoints per level with no Int synergy, while straight (Cloistered (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#clericVariantCloistere dCleric) aka. Monastic) Cleric can expand the skill list to cover all the necessary skillmonkey skills (the ones Monk gets and then some), and gets 6+Int skillpoints per level as opposed to 4+Int. While Sacred Fist can fit two of the lackings of the party, it won't cover the third one, which straight Cleric could do.

In other words, I suggest you do straight Cleric so you can cover all the areas the party is lacking. With Sacred Fist you can do 2/3, but with Cleric you can do 3/3 (and you'll also do better in the "divine casting"-area). Well, Sacred Fist doesn't get Turning either so you lose out a bit there too; you can pimp out your Turning to be very decent but it's not much good with only 4 levels that advance it.

If you are dead set on Sacred Fist though, consider Sacred Exorcist [CD] or Radiant Servant (of Pelor) [CD] to finish off. Fist of Raziel [BoED] is another option but as you aren't taking 10 levels of it, it's kinda bad; you lose yet another level of spellcasting for little gain.

Critical
2010-07-03, 05:25 PM
Also, consider Church Inquisitor, it's bonuses may not seem like much, but they can be useful in a critical(no pun intended... or is it?) moment.

Pollen
2010-07-04, 11:44 AM
Be careful with this. It has the potential to seriously annoy the DM because he can no longer use undead (they'll either die straight up or be too powerful to survive turning that they'll obliterate you). Then, chances are a very big dragon will show up and eat you.

At least, that's what happened to a PC that did this in one of my games... (The dragon was completely justified, I swear!) :smallbiggrin:

I'm with the dragon on that one :smallcool: The player has, by accident or design, painted the PC into a corner.

Popertop
2010-07-04, 12:27 PM
alright, thanks for all your responses and suggestions.

I'm strongly considering just going Cleric/Radiant Servant, that class looks really good.

Sacred Exorcist is also enticing, but I have to crunch some numbers before I start going into that class after Sacred fist.

I was originally going for more of a combat approach, but after seeing all the goodies straight clerics get, i think it might be better to just sit back and play support.

I rolled up a Shadowbane Stalker before, but I was alot more focused on the rogue part, plus I hadn't played a caster before. I'm thinking maybe half and half rogue/cleric would be better? What other rogue cleric options are there?