PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] How can my fighter draw aggro? (Or: What do I do with this Wish?)

Dr Bwaa
2010-07-03, 09:32 PM
Our party* is level 16 and pretty unoptimized** in a very involved and long-running campaign, and in last night's session, we freed a genie from an old semi-abandoned laboratory/zoo. In gratitude, he has offered the party one Wish. One thing high on our list of priorities is a way for me (the tank) to draw aggro off everyone else (the squishies). Is there an item (or a spell that I could turn into an item) that gives a person something akin to the Knight's (PH2) Test of Mettle ability? Or just something to draw all the damage to the guy with all the HPs? If no one knows of anything, how would you approximate such an item?

Secondly--any other recommendations for what we should Wish for?

*The party (all human):
Tank - me - Claaus O'Neal, Fighter 10/Devoted Defender (SaF) 5/Special Prestige Class 1
Claaus can take damage for anyone in the party due to his Harm's Way ability, and his special PrC allows him to switch who his DD charge is as a std action. He uses a longsword, breastplate and heavy steel shield (non-negotiable--special set items), and generally fights defensively with Expertise and his Defending weapon since he can't deal lethal damage, and just soaks up attacks. He's recently picked up Weapon Trip for extra options in combat.
DPS - Filbert Baker, Monk/Tattooed Monk/SPrC 1
His special set items really do (sigh) make him the best DPS in the party--if he can hit his target with 3/4 BAB. They also give him various stances to enhance his versatility. Filbert is also the only lawful person in the party.
Skillmonkey - Nim, Rogue/Bard
More bard than rogue these days, Nim has a guitar-type instument that can (among other various abilities) cast Forcecage 1/day.
Evoker Mage - Charlize, Half-Dragon Sorceress/Archmage (no LA)
This is the DM's favorite character in this campaign (sort of...). There's a free Half-Dragon mod on there and Charlize knows all evocation spells up to 7th level or something like that, plus she can prepare some number of spells from spellbooks or something. She is becoming dangerously volatile in temperament, and is also the party face.
Healbot - Namia, NPC Druid.

**Unoptimized in the sense that the rest of the players think that this party is decently optimized, and in the sense that my DM thinks that the items he's given us are totally godly and epic (I have a +3 Defending LS that only deals nonlethal, and a +3 equiv. mithral breastplate and heavy steel shield (I don't even have this yet--I am using a +1 HSS right now, and I only got that two sessions ago). As the guy who is supposed to be the tank).

EDIT: Is there a price limit on what magic items Wish can make? (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8843877&postcount=4)

mcl01
2010-07-03, 09:46 PM
Friend shield rings (http://srd.dndonlinegames.com/magicItemsPRR.html#ring-of-friend-shield) seem to be what you're after. They're prohibitively expensive for a whole group though. A custom continuous shield other effect should cost 12000 gp by magic item creation guidelines.

Tavar
2010-07-03, 09:47 PM
Goad might work. I think it's in....Complete Adventurer?

Dr Bwaa
2010-07-03, 10:37 PM
Friend shield rings (http://srd.dndonlinegames.com/magicItemsPRR.html#ring-of-friend-shield) seem to be what you're after. They're prohibitively expensive for a whole group though. A custom continuous shield other effect should cost 12000 gp by magic item creation guidelines.

If I have to go this route maybe we will (depending on whether Wish can make these, as well), but I'd rather force them to attack me than just suck up the damage. I'll eventually be able to Shield Other from a set item, and frankly I'd rather use my AC than any of the other PCs'.

Goad might work. I think it's in....Complete Adventurer?

Can Wish grant feats? Also I'd really like to be able to draw fire from mages-- it's a very magic-heavy campaign, nearly all our enemies have access to near-epic-level mages.

Here's another question--I was operating under the assumption (from another player's reading) that Wish can only make up to 25,000gp worth of item, but the actual text is

- Create a nonmagical item of up to 25,000 gp in value.
- Create a magic item, or add to the powers of an existing magic item.

Is there a price limit on the magical items Wish can create?

arguskos
2010-07-03, 10:52 PM
Is there a price limit on the magical items Wish can create?
RAW, no. Logically, your DM is well within his rights to impose one. As the rules stand though, no, there's no such limitation.

Coidzor
2010-07-03, 11:33 PM
RAW, no. Logically, your DM is well within his rights to impose one. As the rules stand though, no, there's no such limitation.

Especially since it's Wish as an SLA rather than the spell proper.

Andion Isurand
2010-07-03, 11:49 PM
As far as your wish goes, perhaps you could aim your wish towards an item that casts Heroics (sor/wiz 2, spell compendium) so the you (and possibly the party) can grant themselves feats from the bonus fighter feat list.

////////////////////////////////////////

Things you can do for future levels.

(1) I'd recommend picking up Allied Defense (Shining South) after Combat Expertise, so that adjacent allies gain the same AC bonus you do when you're using the Combat Expertise feat.

(2) A 3 level dip in Knight (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20060501a&page=2) can net you the Bulwark of Defense feature.

(from WotC Website)

Bulwark of Defense (Ex): When you reach 3rd level, an opponent that begins its turn in your threatened area treats all the squares that you threaten as difficult terrain. Your strict vigilance and active defensive maneuvers force your opponents to move with care.

This will make it take longer for enemies to move around you, and they can't take 5 ft steps.

(3) You can then add that to the benefits of the Stand Still feat from XPH... which enables your attacks of opportunity to force a reflex save (10+dmg dealt) against foes moving out of one of your threatened squares. Those that fail stop as though they used up all thier move actions for the round. (Combat Reflexes practically required here)

Zaq
2010-07-04, 12:08 AM
Wish for one or more of the Tome of Battle stances (you may be able to get them as an item, or you could just give your GM the puppy dog eyes) that gives enemies an active disincentive to attack anyone other than you (they'll take penalties, or an AoO, or something).

Or just go with an explicit 4e mark-and-punish ability. A -2 isn't enough in 3.5, but just wish for the ability to choose a target, lay penalties on them if they attack anyone other than you, and the ability to smack them somehow if they disobey. Done.

Roderick_BR
2010-07-04, 01:49 AM
(2) A 3 level dip in Knight (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20060501a&page=2) can net you the Bulwark of Defense feature.

(from WotC Website)

Bulwark of Defense (Ex): When you reach 3rd level, an opponent that begins its turn in your threatened area treats all the squares that you threaten as difficult terrain. Your strict vigilance and active defensive maneuvers force your opponents to move with care.

This will make it take longer for enemies to move around you, and they can't take 5 ft steps.

That's what I find odd. The enemy need to start within your reach, as in, if you already engaged him, he can't charge outside your reach, but he can both just move (dificult terrain doesn't stop you from simply moving, or taking 5ft steps), or charge from outside your reach and past you.

(3) You can then add that to the benefits of the Stand Still feat from XPH... which enables your attacks of opportunity to force a reflex save (10+dmg dealt) against foes moving out of one of your threatened squares. Those that fail stop as though they used up all thier move actions for the round. (Combat Reflexes practically required here)
The best feats for a tank: Stand Still (with Combat Reflexes), Goad, and getting that maneuver from ToB that deny enemy's abilities to 5ft step around you. Ticket of Blades or something.

allonym
2010-07-04, 07:28 AM
That's what I find odd. The enemy need to start within your reach, as in, if you already engaged him, he can't charge outside your reach, but he can both just move (dificult terrain doesn't stop you from simply moving, or taking 5ft steps), or charge from outside your reach and past you.

Actually, difficult terrain does stop you taking a 5-foot step...

You can only take a 5-foot step if your movement isn’t hampered by difficult terrain or darkness.

Under Actions In Combat (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/actionsincombat.htm).

Lysander
2010-07-04, 12:35 PM
How about something that increases your mobility, either by speeding you up, giving you flight, or allowing you to teleport? That way you can get into your enemy's face very quickly. Instead of luring them to you, you can put yourself between them and your allies.

Possible items:

Wings of flying
Boots of speed
Cape of the Mounteback

Endarire
2010-07-04, 04:46 PM
The best way to draw aggro is to make yourself a credible threat.

If you can reliably one-shot foes, monstarrrs may give you a round to stop them before they warp the casters out of existence.

Take inspiration from the Hood (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19872838/Little_Red_Raiding_Hood_A_Tale_of_38_Guide_to_the_ 35_Dragoon).

rat-morningstar
2010-07-04, 05:47 PM
wish that in xx years, on planet earth, [enter DM's name here] will allow you to go knight

and why did your DM give you a non-lethal weapon?
it's MADNESS

ericgrau
2010-07-04, 06:31 PM
Outside of that ring of friend shield and a similar paladin spell there's not much in core. The defender (tank) role came in later books as a precursor to the 4e defender, you may want to see if any of those have magic items. In core everyone has ways to protect themselves, and no class is truly dedicated to it. 3e roles are more martial, controller and skill-monkey, with other things secondary.

Saya
2010-07-04, 06:41 PM
http://srd.dndonlinegames.com/spellsS.html#shield-other

In the form of an at-will item, and enough rings to cover your entire party. If you are allowed to do this, make sure you don't ever accidentally get AoE'd while the spell is in effect, or funny things happen.

Jorda75
2010-07-04, 06:43 PM
Why not just yell at them? Intimidate is in your class skill list for a reason :D I know this doesn't work on everything but sometimes all it takes is a few well placed obscenities to make an enemy go right for you :smallbiggrin:

DragonBaneDM
2010-07-04, 07:22 PM
Kill two birds with one stone! Give yourself the fighter's ability to mark in 4th edition with this wish.

It's not too much to ask for, and a good mechanic to fit into a 3.5 group, especially if you actually want the class to do anything.

woodenbandman
2010-07-04, 08:08 PM
Wish to replace your fighter levels with other levels :D

You might try a belt of enlarge person. Nothing says "hit me" like being gigantic and threatening everyone who so much as thinks about touching your squishies.

Hague
2010-07-04, 11:21 PM
Yeah, some kinda permanent Heroics spell or a feat-enabling ring so you can use Goad. Alternately, you can use your wish to maybe retrain some of your Fighter levels into Knight Levels. Then you can use your knight's challenges to force intelligent foes to focus on you.

woodenbandman
2010-07-05, 12:38 AM
oooh, wish to be a duergar, and to have that duergar feat that allows you to use your racial expansion 2x more per day. Become huge sized, and wield a reach weapon = you cannot possibly be ignored.

Hague
2010-07-05, 01:25 AM
Heh, by all technicality, a drunken master with Improved Improvised Weapons can use a chain of nearly any length, making them the kings of reach weapons.

Dr Bwaa
2010-07-05, 07:00 AM
These are some great ideas; thanks a lot everyone. I should explain a couple things:

My DM assigns value to things completely at random as far as I can tell (as far as what he considers to be good). This is a personality trait present not just in D&D, so I expect it, but it makes it impossible to predict the outcomes of a certain plan of action (such as wishing for what you think is perfectly reasonable, or expecting that when he homebrews magic items for the whole party they will be balanced between party members :smallsigh: )

It is also NEARLY impossible (unfortunately) for the "Credible Threat" strategy to work, partially because he doesn't tend to consider it when assigning enemy actions (this was my strategy in recent levels when it has started to matter--basically no effect no matter how many guys I kill in round 1), and more crucially for plot reasons (ostensibly).
Long story very short, the land is a magocracy, which is why we have to fight so many accursed high-level wizards. Wizards only, mind you--sorcery is outlawed and practitioners of the sorcerer's magic are kill-on-sight-no-questions-asked types. So I really need to FORCE people to direct their attention to me, or else they will turn all their firepower straight against my squishy sorceress friend/unrequited love interest.

Wish to replace your fighter levels with other levels :D

No kidding.

I wonder if I can just wish for a couple of those Knight class features (and I wonder if he'd respond by gifting me 4 levels of Knight (LOLOL))

DracoDei
2010-07-06, 06:26 AM
Well, this PROBABLY doesn't solve your core problem, but I did make a feat that could help:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113722

Should at least get you a lot more AoOs.... that combined with anything else on this thread might help, and feats from items have a low GP cost as I recall, so it should be a minor boost from his perspect.

Ruinix
2010-07-06, 07:41 AM
3 lev dip in Knight. if melee enemys r the issue.

feat mage slayer. if the casters are the problem.

Fouredged Sword
2010-07-06, 08:35 AM
Wish for a spike chain that cast effects a permenant enlarge person. Then grab mageslayer. Mages will HATE you and then die. Mage slayer is what you are looking for. Mages loose the ability to cast defensivly in area's you threaten. I will say that again. Mages CAN NOT, not find it dificult, not get a penelty, CAN NOT, cast defensivly. You get a AoO every time they try to cast, then have thier spell messed up. Let that be known in a magic comunity and you will be worse than the sorrcerers. Then grab the pierce magical X feats to allow you to ignore concelment and armor buffs.

Profit?

Psyx
2010-07-06, 08:45 AM
Given what you've said about the campaign; we're missing the obvious:

Disguise yourself via illusion or whatever means are viable as a sorcerer!

If Sorcs are 'detected' through magic aura in some way, then wish for one of those.

AtwasAwamps
2010-07-06, 09:07 AM
Given what you’ve said, I’m not sure Goad would work…it requires a decent charisma score and only restricts melee attacks, so that magic missile of death is still going straight for the wizard.

See if your DM is willing to give you some TOB stances or even better, trade a few levels for Crusader levels. Crusader has a number of great “I am the Tank!” type abilities right from the start with things like Iron Guard’s Glare and Shield Block, allowing you to make hitting your melee allies extremely difficult. It would also let you grab the Devoted Bulwark Tactical feat, which is even more “Rawr I tanks!”

Barring that, pretty much ever other tank strategy has been covered here. Since you lack turn undead, I can’t suggest the powerful Divine Feats that would key off of that (Divine Shield is a lovely thing sometimes, as is the feat that shields you AND your allies from energy damage), but it’s something to consider…a dip in cleric is rarely a bad idea for a melee class.

Dr Bwaa
2010-07-07, 03:15 PM
These are great, everyone. Thanks for all the help; if we play that campaign again before this thread dies I'll update with what we ended up doing for anyone interested :p

Andion Isurand
2010-07-07, 08:18 PM
As far as your wish goes, perhaps you could aim your wish towards an item that casts Heroics (sor/wiz 2, spell compendium) so the you (and possibly the party) can grant themselves feats from the bonus fighter feat list.

////////////////////////////////////////

Things you can do for future levels.

(1) I'd recommend picking up Allied Defense (Shining South) after Combat Expertise, so that adjacent allies gain the same AC bonus you do when you're using the Combat Expertise feat.

(from WotC Website)

(4) There are some fantastic opportunist feats in Dragon Magazine 340, pg 86-87. Most of them are fighter bonus feats.

If you have good dexterity, and take Improved Combat Reflexes and Greater Combat Reflexes... you can take up to three melee attacks of opportunity each time an enemy would normally provoke one (the second at a -5 penalty and the third at a -10 penalty). Although all three count towards your total AoOs for the round.

The two above feats are not listed as fighter bonus feats, but many of the other feats in that article are... perfect for loading on Heroics.