PDA

View Full Version : Spellblade 3.5; Warlock inspired fighter-mage. PEACH

Frog Dragon
2010-07-04, 04:23 AM
Spellblade
Spellblades are the 'true' blade-mages. They don't bother learning conventional magic, preferring to do things that help them more at being warriors. Their magic is more easily renewed, but not as versatile. However, in its niche, it can match the wizard's spells in addition to skill with the blade.

HD: d8

Spellblade
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Advanced Weapon Arcana

1st|
+1|
+1|
+1|
+2|Basic Weapon Arcana +1, Advanced Weapon Arcana: Least|2

2nd|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+3||3

3rd|
+3|
+2|
+2|
+3||4

4th|
+4|
+2|
+2|
+4||5

5th|
+5|
+3|
+3|
+4|Basic Weapon Arcana +2|6

6th|
+6/+1|
+3|
+3|
+5|Advanced Weapon Arcana: Lesser|7

7th|
+7/+2|
+3|
+3|
+5||8

8th|
+8/+3|
+4|
+4|
+6||9

9th|
+9/+4|
+4|
+4|
+6|Basic Weapon Arcana +3|10

10th|
+10/+5|
+5|
+5|
+7||11

11th|
+11/+6/+1|
+5|
+5|
+7|Advanced Weapon Arcana: Greater|12

12th|
+12/+7/+2|
+6|
+6|
+8||13

13th|
+13/+8/+3|
+6|
+6|
+8|Basic Weapon Arcana +4|14

14th|
+14/+9/+4|
+6|
+6|
+9||15

15th|
+15/+10/+5|
+7|
+7|
+9||16

16th|
+16/+11/+6/+1|
+7|
+7|
+10|Advanced Weapon Arcana: Master|17

17th|
+17/+12/+7/+2|
+8|
+8|
+10|Basic Weapon Arcana +5|18

18th|
+18/+13/+8/+3|
+8|
+8|
+11||19

19th|
+19/+14/+9/+4|
+9|
+9|
+11||20

20th|
+20/+15/+10/+5|
+9|
+9|
+12||21[/table]

Skill Points: A spellblade gains 4+int modifier skill points per level. 4x at level 1
Class Skills: The class skills for a spellblade are: Balance, Climb Concentration, Craft, Jump, Knowledge: Arcana, Listen, Profession, Spellcraft, Spot, Tumble.

Weapon&Armor Proficiencies: A spellblade is proficient with light armor, all simple and martial weapons and all shields other than tower shields.

Weapon Arcana
Weapon Arcana is the main ability of a Spellblade. It is divided into two categories, Basic and Advanced Weapon Arcana. Basic weapon arcanas are known by all Spellblades, but Advanced Weapon Arcanas are learned as the Spellblade gains levels. Every even level, a spellblade may also exhange one advanced weapon arcana she already has for one of the same or lower level.
Basic Weapon Arcanas may be used indefinitely, while Advanced Weapon Arcanas draw from a pool of arcana points.
Basic Weapon Arcana (SP)
One Basic Weapon Arcana may be added to any weapon, natural attack of unarmed strike the Spellblade has, or in case of a weapon, is holding. They mimic weapon enchantments, and do not stack with them. However, you may add basic weapon arcanas to already enchanted weapons, but adding and enchantment from a weapon arcana that the weapon already has, simply does not stack.
Adding a basic weapon arcana is a full round action, and removing a basic weapon arcana and adding one can be done in the same action. Simply removing a basic weapon arcana is a free action. You may not remove or change weapon arcanas that you did not add yourself.
A weapon arcana is automatically removed if the weapon leaves the possession of the Spellblade who added the weapon arcana.
At first level, you may mimic an amount of enhancements adding up to a total bonus of +1. At fifth, ninth, thirteenth and finally seventeenth, the maximum amount of enhancements you may add is raised by +1.
You may not add bane or similar enchantments to the weapon.

Advanced Weapon Arcana (SP)
Advanced Weapon Arcanas take a standard action to activate and do not provoke attacks of opportunity. They have point costs, with least arcana costing 1 point, lesser costing 3, greater costing 5 and master costing 7, per activation. They do not require verbal or somatic components.
A Spellblade has a number of points per encounter for use with Advanced Weapon Arcana. This point number is Equal to 2 times Class level+Intelligence or Charisma Modifier. All save DC:s for Spellblade abilities and arcanas work off the formula 10+1/2 class level+Int or Cha Modifier.
The caster level of an arcana is equal to the caster's Spellblade level.
A Spellblade gains access of higher levels of weapon arcana as he levels. Gaining lesser arcanas at level 6, greater at level 11 and master at level 17.

Least Arcanas
Energy Shield: Create a shield that damages those who attack you.
Arcane Bolt: Fire a bolt of force at the enemy.
Elemental Bolt: Fire a bolt of elemental energy at the enemy.
Sonic Boom: Deafen all creatures in an area.
Mage's Sight: See invisible creatures.
Hidden Step: Become invisible for a short while.
Shattering Crush: Shatter objects.
Spiderwalk: Walk on walls.
Cone of Smoke: Create a cone of obscuring smoke.
Terrible Presence: Cause fear in nearby creatures.
Arcane Armor: Gain a bonus to AC.
Shield of Fortune: Gain a bonus to saves.
Weakening Ray: Deal str damage.
Paralyzing Ray: Deal dex damage.

Lesser Arcanas
Arcane Vigor: Gain fast healing.
Elemental Burst: Damage all creatures in an area with elemental damage.
Arcane Burst: Damage all creatures in an are with force damage.
Wind Step: Fly with good maneuverability.
Magical Sense: Gain blindsight.
Flash Step: Teleport with a move action.
Strip Arcana: Use dispel magic.
Lightning Step: Gain large bonus to speed.
Arcane Hold: Immobilize a creature.
Breathlessness: No need to breathe.
Blinding Flash: Blind creatures with a flash of light.

Greater Arcanas
Elemental Destruction: Damage all creatures in a big area with elemental damage.
Arcane Destruction: Damage all creatures in a big are with force damage.
Freeze: Hold multiple creatures in place.
Destruction: Disintegrate a target.
Paralyzing Wave: Cause dex damage in a cone.
Weakening Wave: Cause str damage in a cone.
Elemental Wall: Create a wall of one element.
Forcewall: Create a wall of force.
True Sight: Use the spell, true seeing.

Master Arcanas
Arcane Ruin: Cause lots of force damage in a big area.
Elemental Ruin: Cause lots of elemental damage in a big area.
Stunning Barrage: Deal damage and stun in an area.
Void Sphere: Disintegrate on an area.
Freedom: Gain immunity to all things movement impeding.
Infernal Assault: Attack any creature within an area.
Flasheye: Cause unbearable blinding light to flash in the eyes of a creature.
Terrifying Visage: Cause creatures to flee in panic.
Etherealness: Become ethereal.

Arcana Descriptions
Arcane Armor
You gain a deflection bonus to armor class equal to 3+1 per 4 spellblade levels for a number of rounds equal to 3+1 per 4 swordmage levels.

Arcane Bolt
Make a ranged touch attack with a range of 60ft. If you hit you deal 1d6 force damage per Spellblade level (minimum 1d6)

Arcane Burst
This arcana has a range of 60ft. Any target point within this 60 ft, as designated by the spellblade, is the center of a 20ft sphere. Any creature in this sphere is dealt 1d6 force damage per Spellblade level (minimum 1d6) with a reflex save for half damage.

Arcane Destruction
This arcana has a range of 120ft. Any target point within this 120 ft, as designated by the spellblade, is the center of a 60ft sphere. Any creature in this sphere is dealt 1d6 force damage per Spellblade level (minimum 1d6) with a reflex save for half damage.

Arcane Hold
The spellblade causes one creature to freeze in place. This effect is as the Hold Monster spell, but has a range of 60ft and lasts for 3+1 rounds per 4 spellblade levels.

Arcane Ruin
This arcana has a range of 180ft. Any target point within this 180ft, as designated by the spellblade, is the center of a 100ft sphere. Any creature in this sphere is dealt 1d12 force damage per Spellblade level (minimum 1d12) with a reflex save for half damage.

Arcane Vigor
You gain fast healing 5 for 3 rounds+1 per 4 spellblade levels.

Blinding Flash
This arcana has a range of 60ft. Any target point within this 60 ft, as designated by the spellblade, is the center of a 20ft sphere. Any creature in this sphere must make a reflex save or be blinded for a number of rounds equal to 3+1 rounds per 4 spellblade levels.

Breathlessness
You do not breath, and do not need to breathe for 3+1 minutes per 4 spellblade levels. This makes you immune to all effects that require inhalation to work and you can function safely underwater.

Cone of Smoke
The Spellblade creates a cone of smoke (as the spell, Fog Cloud) in a 60ft cone with the starting point of herself. The smoke lasts for an amount of rounds equal to 3+1 per 4 Spellblade levels

Destruction
The spellblade may use an effect equal to the spell Disintegrate with a range of 60ft.

Elemental Bolt
Make a ranged touch attack with a range of 60ft. If you hit you deal 1d6 damage of one element (fire, cold, acid or electricity) chosen at the time of casting per Spellblade level (minimum 1d6)

Elemental Burst
This arcana has a range of 60ft. Any target point within this 60 ft, as designated by the spellblade, is the center of a 20ft sphere. Any creature in this sphere is dealt 1d6 damage of one element (fire, cold, acid or electricity) chosen at the time of casting per Spellblade level (minimum 1d6) with a reflex save for half damage.

Elemental Destruction
This arcana has a range of 120ft. Any target point within this 120ft, as designated by the spellblade, is the center of a 60ft sphere. Any creature in this sphere is dealt 1d6 damage of one element (fire, cold, acid or electricity) chosen at the time of casting per Spellblade level (minimum 1d6) with a reflex save for half damage.

Elemental Ruin
This arcana has a range of 180ft. Any target point within this 180ft, as designated by the spellblade, is the center of a 100ft sphere. Any creature in this sphere is dealt 1d12 damage of one element (fire, cold, acid or electricity) chosen at the time of casting per Spellblade level (minimum 1d12) with a reflex save for half damage.

Elemental Wall
You create an effect equal to a wall of fire, with the differences. The range is 120ft. It lasts for 3 rounds+1 per 4 spellblade levels. It deals 1d6 per spellblade level damage to any creature that passes through it and deals a quarter this amount to any creature adjacent to it. The wall may be of any element.

Energy Shield
Any creature that hits you with a melee attack takes 1d6 damage of one element (fire, cold, acid or electricity) chosen at the time of casting per 4 Spellblade levels (minimum 1). A successful reflex save halves the damage. This ability has a duration of 3 rounds+1 round per 4 Spellblade levels.

Etherealness
Use the spell, ethereal jaunt.
This ability has a duration of 3 rounds+1 round per 4 Spellblade levels.

Flash Step
The spellblade may use a dimension door effect (as the spell) with a range of 100 ft, as a move action.

Flasheye
This effect targets one creature within 60ft. The creature must make a fortitude save seperately against all of these effect. Being Dazed, Blinded, Nauseated. In addition, it is dazzled with no save. This ability has a duration of 3 rounds+1 round per 4 Spellblade levels.

Forcewall
Create a wall of force (as the spell ) with a range of 60ft that lasts for 3 rounds+1 round per 4 spellblade levels.

Freedom
The spellblade is immune to dex damage, paralyzation, stunning, hold person and similar effects, in addition to gaining all the benefits of the Freedom of Movement spell. This lasts for 3 rounds+1 round per 4 spellblade levels.

Freeze
The spellblade causes multiple creatures to freeze in place. This effect is as the Hold Monster spell, but has a range of 60ft and lasts for 3+1 round per 4 spellblade levels. In addition, it hits 1 target +1 target per 4 spellblade levels.

Hidden Step
You become invisible (as the spell, Invisibility) for a number of rounds equal to 3 rounds+1 round per 4 Spellblade levels.

Infernal assault
The spellblade may deal 1d8 damage/spellblade level to any target within 60ft of herself. One target may only be hit once per round, but there is no other limitation. The damage may be either bludgeoning, slashing or piercing. This ability has a duration of 3 rounds+1 round per 4 Spellblade levels. A reflex save halves the damage.

Lightning Step
The spellblade gains a +90ft unnamed bonus to the speeds of any and all movement modes she has. This ability has a duration of 3 rounds+1 round per 4 Spellblade levels.

Mage's Sight
You see invisible things (as the spell, See Invisibility) for a number of rounds equal to 4 rounds+1 round per Spellblade level.

Magical Sense
The spellblade gains blindsight up to 60ft for a number of rounds equal to 3 rounds+1 round per 4 Spellblade levels.

Paralyzing Ray
The spellblade deals 1d6 str damage (minimum 1) to one target within 60ft. A succesful Fortitude save negates the damage. This lasts for 3 rounds+1 round per 4 Spellblade levels.

Paralyzing Wave
The spellblade deals 2d6 str damage (minimum 1) to all targets within a 60ft cone. A succesful Fortitude save negates the damage. This lasts for 3 rounds+1 round per 4 Spellblade levels.

Shattering Crush
You may shatter objects (as the spell, Shatter) in a range of 60ft.

Shield of Fortune
You gain a resistance bonus to saving throws equal to 3+1 per 4 swordmage levels for a number of rounds equal to 3+1 per 4 swordmage levels.

Sonic Boom
Within an area you target, all creatures are assailed by loud sounds and sonic disturbance. All creatures within 15ft of a target point designated by you are deafened for 3 rounds+1 round per 4 swordmage levels. This arcana has a range of 60ft.

Spiderwalk
You gain the ability to walk on walls (as the spell, Spider Climb) for a number of rounds equal to 4 rounds+1 round per Spellblade level.

Strip Arcana
The spellblade may use an effect equal to greater dispel magic with a range of 60ft.

Stunning Barrage
This arcana has a range of 60ft. Any target point within this 60 ft, as designated by the spellblade, is the center of a 20ft sphere. Any creature in this sphere is dealt 5d6 damage every round, and is stunned for one round. The stunning may be avoided with a fortitude save. The effect lasts for a number of rounds equal to 3+1 per 4 swordmage levels.

Terrible Presence
You cause fear in all enemies within 60ft of you. They must make a will save or be shaken for a number of rounds equal to 3+1 per 4 swordmage levels.

Terrifying Visage
You cause fear in all enemies within 60ft of you. They must make a will save or be panicked for a number of rounds equal to 3+1 per 4 swordmage levels.

True Sight
You see things as they are (as the spell, True Seeing) for a number of rounds equal to 3+1 per 4 swordmage levels.

Void Sphere
This arcana has a range of 60 and a radius sphere of 10ft. Any creature within the sphere is subject to the spell disintegration.

Weakening Ray
The spellblade deals 1d6 dex damage (minimum 1) to one target within 60ft. A succesful Fortitude save negates the damage. This lasts for 3 rounds+1 round per 4 Spellblade levels.

Weakening Wave
The spellblade deals 2d6 dex damage (minimum 1) to all targets within a 60ft cone. A succesful Fortitude save negates the damage. This lasts for 3 rounds+1 round per 4 Spellblade levels.

Wind Step
You gain flight at good maneuverability with a speed equal to twice your land speed for a number of rounds equal to 3+1 per 4 swordmage levels.

Spellblade Feats

Arcana Mastery
You have trained further in the magical talents of a spellblade.
Benefit: You gain extra arcana points equal to your charisma or intelligence bonus, whichever is higher. Effectively, you gain your charisma or intelligence bonus twice to your arcana point total.

Empower Arcana
You can empower your arcanas to be more effective
Benefit: Any arcana you cast can be an Empowered Arcana at your option. All variable, numeric effects of the arcana are enlarged by one half. The arcana deals 1,5 times the damage, affects 1,5 times the targets and so on. This does not affect arcanas with no variable numbers.
An empowered arcana costs 2 extra arcana points to cast.

Maximize Arcana
You can maximize your arcanas to be more effective
Benefit: Any arcana you cast can be an Maximized Arcana at your option. All variable, numeric effects of the arcana are boosted to be the maximum possible number on the die roll. affects This does not affect arcanas with no variable numbers.
An maximized arcana costs 3 extra arcana points to cast.
Combined with Empowered Arcana, the extra 0,5x damage is not maximised.

I'm aware this is quite low on class features, and I'm thinking about it. Balance is a pretty strong worry here as well, especially at low levels. I counted a capability to pull 4d6+str per hit at level 2.

Magicyop
2010-07-04, 09:25 AM
I think this class is really freaking cool- I mean, I'd play one! But I have a couple critiques.

First, it's overpowered. It gets full BAB, at least decent in all saves, AND spells more powerful than a wizard or full caster would have, not to mention the flat out non-resist bonus damage. The end result of this class is a character who is slightly more powerful than a barbarian, fighter, or ranged in melee combat, while simultaneously being more powerful than a wizard or sorcerer in spellcasting.

I'd love for you to fix this class so that I can play one. A couple of my first suggestions:
-Lower will save to decent, like the others, make it just +1, +1, +1
-Remove or make less powerful the "Ruin" arcanas and all the arcanas leading up to them.
-Maybe add a feat that gives you some bonus advanced arcana points
-Consider making the BAB more like the druid or rogue, starting at +0 and eventually reaching +15. Food for thought.
-Is it the Spellblade or the Swordmage? You called it both of those interchangeably.

Hope you can fix this, because it's an awesome class and idea and I would gladly play one.

Frog Dragon
2010-07-04, 12:27 PM
I think this class is really freaking cool- I mean, I'd play one! But I have a couple critiques.

First, it's overpowered. It gets full BAB, at least decent in all saves, AND spells more powerful than a wizard or full caster would have, not to mention the flat out non-resist bonus damage. The end result of this class is a character who is slightly more powerful than a barbarian, fighter, or ranged in melee combat, while simultaneously being more powerful than a wizard or sorcerer in spellcasting.

I'd love for you to fix this class so that I can play one. A couple of my first suggestions:
-Lower will save to decent, like the others, make it just +1, +1, +1
-Remove or make less powerful the "Ruin" arcanas and all the arcanas leading up to them.
-Maybe add a feat that gives you some bonus advanced arcana points
-Consider making the BAB more like the druid or rogue, starting at +0 and eventually reaching +15. Food for thought.
-Is it the Spellblade or the Swordmage? You called it both of those interchangeably.

Hope you can fix this, because it's an awesome class and idea and I would gladly play one.
Its spellblade. It was originally swordmage, but I changed after seeing another swordmage class on the forums.
I'll think about the saves, though I don't think its really a problem.
About the arcanas. I don't think they're a problem. They do deal lots of damage, but the Burst is basically just a viable fireball, and Destruction and Ruin, they're good at nuking stuff, but their areas make them rather impractical.
It is strictly more powerful than the phb melee classes, but that is not a problem. phb melee classes suck.
As for this being stronger than casting. No, no, no, no. I dare to make a claim, that nothing, apart from pun pun in D&D is stronger than casting. These guys have far less versatility than the casters, and the arcanas are always weaker or equal to similar spells. Apart from the blasty attacks, but that is because blasting is underpowered. Considering that these guys kick major arse in melee, I need to make the blasts worth it. Even now, they're mainly useful only when the spellblade can't get into melee. Also, a well built blaster caster can pwn spellblade blasting. If you read AGC, Some of the Nuclear Dan build showcase this.
I'll probably curb the Spellmight ability and maybe reduce the BAB.
I thought of feats, may come at a later date.
Edit: Changed Basic Weapon Arcana to be more versatile, but less ultramurder with elemental damage.

Magicyop
2010-07-04, 03:00 PM
Its spellblade. It was originally swordmage, but I changed after seeing another swordmage class on the forums.
I'll think about the saves, though I don't think its really a problem.
About the arcanas. I don't think they're a problem. They do deal lots of damage, but the Burst is basically just a viable fireball, and Destruction and Ruin, they're good at nuking stuff, but their areas make them rather impractical.
It is strictly more powerful than the phb melee classes, but that is not a problem. phb melee classes suck.
As for this being stronger than casting. No, no, no, no. I dare to make a claim, that nothing, apart from pun pun in D&D is stronger than casting. These guys have far less versatility than the casters, and the arcanas are always weaker or equal to similar spells. Apart from the blasty attacks, but that is because blasting is underpowered. Considering that these guys kick major arse in melee, I need to make the blasts worth it. Even now, they're mainly useful only when the spellblade can't get into melee. Also, a well built blaster caster can pwn spellblade blasting. If you read AGC, Some of the Nuclear Dan build showcase this.
I'll probably curb the Spellmight ability and maybe reduce the BAB.
I thought of feats, may come at a later date.
Edit: Changed Basic Weapon Arcana to be more versatile, but less ultramurder with elemental damage.

Nice changes... I think those make it a lot more balanced.

Frog Dragon
2010-07-04, 03:29 PM
Thanks. Now I need to think up actual class features. Otherwise it'll be kinda bland..
Edit: I figured out one exploit. Bane Weapons. I'll ban those from the Basic Weapon Arcana. Otherwise you could just get a Bane on every single enemy you encounter. Kinda broken.

Diabolical
2010-07-04, 04:59 PM
Well if you wanted Actual class abilities maybe you can give it options to use things similar to metamagic but for their arcana like basic arcana stuff.

So +1 metamagic, +2 metamagic and so on. But instead of using higher level spell spots(cause you dont have them) it'll just be the maximum metamagic you could add, and it would recharge like 1d6-1d4 rounds or something :D.

Hope i helped :D and if i didnt too bad :P

I know im new here but your officially my favorite homebrewer :D

Frog Dragon
2010-07-05, 04:21 AM
Actually, I was thinking of making the meta-arcana stuff feats. Using them would add to the point cost of the arcana.

About the favorite homebrewer thing. Err.. thanks. :smallredface: I do recommend checking out some other people's work here. Compared to some people, I too am pretty new and inexperienced. My personal list of homebrew gods here is Fax Celestis, Krimm Blackleaf and The Demented One. Fax has his own game system, TDO has so much homebrew he actually had to split his extended signature into two to avoid the post length limit. Oh and he just posted links to the extended signature, not the actual homebrew. And Krimm is just generally awesome. :smallbiggrin:
Edit: Made two feats. More will come.