PDA

View Full Version : Gustav's Throne [3.5 Artifact/Mount, PEACH]

Admiral Squish
2010-07-09, 09:53 PM
The story of Gustav the Mad begins long ago. In ancient times, Gustav was a powerful wizard who, after decades of seclusion in his libraries, decided his intellect would be the only proper way to rule the world. With that belief in his mind, he began to work. He went to capital after capital, requesting them to relinquish their nation's rule to he, who was, in his mind, more qualified in every way. He was laughed out of many a court, and chased out of many more. Discouraged, but not shaken off his course, he once more returned to his library.

When he emerged from his retreat once more, he was at the head of a massive army of golems and warforged, mounted upon a massive, opulent, animated throne. His army rampaged through a great many countries, leveling cities and declaring himself emperor time and time again, until the royal mages of Ardor created a countermeasure, a dozen quivers filled to the brim with arrows charged with dispel magic. The mighty mage's protections failed him as the hail of arrows peeled away his magic. The second half didn't even need to dispel anything as they pierced his flesh. He died in an instant.

Of course, his golems continued their assault, but leaderless and unguided, they were simple enough to whittle away. With the mage gone arose the question of what to do with his mightiest creations. Ruled as too dangerous to leave alone, but too useful to destroy, the Throne of Gustav was secreted away into a deep dungeon, where it resides to this day.

Gustav's Throne
Large Construct
Hit Dice: 20d10+120 (230 HP)
Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares); Fly 40 ft. (8 squares, Good)
Initiative: +0
Armor Class: 29 (+20 Natural, -1 size); touch 9; flat-footed 29
Base Attack/Grapple: +15/+29
Attack: Slam +25 Melee (1d8+15) or Greatsword +26 Melee (3d6+15)
Full-Attack: Greatsword +26/+21/+16 Melee (3d6+15), or 2 Slams (1d8+10)
Space: 10 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Berserker, Rider's Shield, Spell-Like Abilities, Trample
Special Qualities: Construct Traits, Darkvision 60, Features, Hardness 20, Low-Light Vision
Saves: Fort +6 Ref +6 Will +6
Abilities: Str 30, Dex 10, Con -, Int -, Wis 10, Cha 2
Skills: -
Feats: -
Environment: Any
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 15
Treasure: Double Standard
Alignment: Always Neutral
Advancement: -

Before you, you see a massive, golden, opulent throne, easily ten feet tall. It's soaring back is elaborately carved with images of what appears to be a mage in mid-casting, along with a variety of almost religious-seeming overtones surrounding the withered skull of a skeletal corpse. The body is strapped into the crimson silk seat and bears a finely-wrought golden crown, a number of arrows emerging from it's chest as withered fingers grip the arms of the seat. At the top of the seat rest a pair of massive, sculpted muscular arms that remain crossed. Between their 'shoulders' juts the handle of an eight-foot greatsword that runs vertically down the back of the throne held by clamps, flanked by a pair of furled golden wings. The base of the throne sits hunched on a set of four leonine legs.

Gustav's throne is a massive throne of solid, sculpted adamantine enchanted to look like gold. It's entire thing is infused with magic to make it sturdier, more comfortable, generally fit for a man of Gustav's self-imagined stature. It bears a number of padded straps that comfortably hold a seated figure in place, and can even unfold a pair of golden wings to fly as a free action.

Combat:

In battle, Gustav's Throne draws it's massive greatsword and attacks whatever is within it's reach, though it's master's orders are the only thing it considers when it comes to movement.

Berserker: The royal mages of Ardor, not satisfied with hiding away the chair, destabilized the forces powering the throne. When Gustav's Throne enters combat under the control of an evil creature, there is a cumulative 1% chance each round that its elemental spirit breaks free and the throne goes berserk. The uncontrolled throne goes on a rampage, attacking the rider. Once the rider is dispatched, it attacks the nearest creature or smashing some object smaller than itself if no creature is within reach, then moving on to spread more destruction. The wearer of the golden circlet, if within 60 feet, can try to regain control by speaking firmly and persuasively to the throne, which requires a DC 19 Charisma check. It takes 1 minute of inactivity by the throne to reset the throne’s berserk chance to 0%.

Features: Gustav's Throne has a number of features that aren't immediately noticeable. Both arms are hollowed out. One is an extra-dimensional space effectively identical to a bag of holding type IV, though whenever it's opened whatever the wearer of the golden crown wants is on top. The other arm bears four wand-sized slots and a number of subtle buttons. By pressing any one of the buttons and concentrating, the rider can activate any one of the wands held in this way as a standard action. Finally, the seat's cushioning is enchanted to steady the ride. No matter how vigorously the throne moves, the rider never needs to make concentration checks or ride checks to stay in the seat, and can even sleep with the chair in motion, taking no penalty.

Rider's Shield: Gustav's Throne's number one priority is protecting the wearer of the golden crown. If the rider is properly seated and strapped in, the throne's swinging sword, arms, and high back and armrests provide cover to the rider.

Spell-Like Abilities:At-Will: Blur (Self or Rider Only), Entropic Shield (Rider only), Protection from Arrows (Rider Only), Protection from Energy (Self or Rider only). Caster Level 15.

Trample: Gustav's throne can trample creatures at least one size smaller than itself, dealing 1d8+15 damage. Opponents who do not make attacks of opportunity against the throne can attempt Reflex saves (DC 30) to halve the damage.

The Golden Crown:
This light, woven-gold crown rests lightly upon the brow of the skeletal corpse resting in the seat of Gustav's Throne. Over the dead man's forehead, the gold forms itself into a stylized eye with a starburst for a pupil.

The Golden Crown is the only one of it's kind in existence. It was created with Gustav's Throne and is the only known method of controlling it. While wearing the Golden Crown, the wearer can issue telepathic commands to the Throne as a free action as long as it is within 100 feet. In addition, by spending a standard action while adjacent to Gustav's Throne, the wearer can shrink the Throne down to diminutive size and attach it to the headband until spending another standard action to return it to it's normal size in a space adjacent to the wearer. Finally, the wearer of the Golden Crown gains a +6 enhancement bonus to intelligence.

----------------------------------------
How you like THEM apples? I'm going through and updating/upgrading all my old homebrews. This is my old version. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67551)

Also, I know the HP is wrong for being a construct. I figured being made of adamantine should count for something extra.

Admiral Squish
2010-07-10, 02:12 PM
Come on, somebody tell me how I'm doin' here...

Fable Wright
2010-07-10, 02:27 PM
We may be able to tell you after you add in the CR...

Admiral Squish
2010-07-10, 02:45 PM
CR is missing because I'm terrible at figuring them out.

Admiral Squish
2010-07-11, 05:26 PM
Gah! Fine, I threw on CR 15. I have NO idea if that's good enough or too good for it.

Is anyone gonna tell me if I've royally screwed over any magician deciding to use this, or am I stuck in limbo?

Admiral Squish
2010-07-12, 09:29 PM
Well, at least limbo's nice this time of year...

Look, I'm not asking much, just a 'this is cool' or 'this is awful'. A baseline to work off, if you will.

Okay, so, I changed the amulet to a crown 'cause I thought it fits better. I changed it in the first place 'cause I was worried about overlapping with headbands of intellect, but I realized I can just roll that feature into it, too.

DracoDei
2010-07-12, 10:34 PM
Liked the general concept the first time, still do.
" comfortably hold a seated figure in place comfortably" <- Department of Redundancy Department.
Amulat would be harder to steal/disarm, but if that isn't an issue, then a crown is definitely more thematic.
I think you mean BOTH arms are hollowed out.

Milskidasith
2010-07-12, 10:43 PM
This thing is pretty pitiful for a CR 15 encounter. It can very easily be killed by a disintegrate, and it's AC is at the range where most people are probably hitting around 70+% of the time depending on optimization levels, for far damage than this thing deals.

Admiral Squish
2010-07-12, 11:15 PM
Ah-ha! Progress!

Stupid re-editing errors...
Well, as said, the crown is definitely more fitting thematically.
True, both arms, gotta go add that...

I told you I'm awful at that stuff. What would be a more fitting CR? Do you think such a throne would be of any use to a Lv. 15-20 wizard?