PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] PrCs for a Spirit Shaman?

Zaq
2010-07-10, 12:40 AM
So, I've recently become enamored with the Spirit Shaman (Complete Divine), and since my party needs a bit of control, I'm probably going to be making one soon. (He's a dwarf who hails from Boatmurdered. His spirit guide is an elephant. He doesn't pray for spells per se... every morning, he drinks until the elephant goes away.) I'm noticing that they don't really fit into too many of your basic prestige classes out there (most of the druid ones require wildshape, and most of the cleric ones require K:Religion), but I figure I'd ask... are there any good prestige classes out there for a spirit shaman? I know that there's always the ones that are super easy to get into (Sentinel of Bharrai, Paragnostic Apostle, Ruathar, etc.), but they're not terribly interesting (or thematically appropriate). I suppose there's Holt Warden from Complete Champion, but I'm kind of trying to play up being a stereotypical dwarf (very earthy-stony, not planty-treey), so it's not terribly appropriate.

Basically, I'm level 15, and I plan on being battlefield control writ large. I plan on using lots of wall spells (dwarves make fine walls, don'cha know), lots of don't-stand-in-the-fire AoEs, lots of oh-suddenly-the-terrain-is-something-new spells, that sort of thing. I could go straight spirit shaman (they do at least get class features), but that's kinda boring. What kind of options are out there?

gbprime
2010-07-10, 07:22 AM
Well Spirit Shaman gets candy as it levels up, so it's a question of what you want to live without. It's chastise spirits ability does damage based on class level, and there's no PrC that improves that. The major ability to weigh is the Spirit Form. You have to stick it out until 9th level if you want that one.

Contemplative is always worth it, as it comes with a bonus domain right off. Picking up Earth Domain would give you Turn/Rebukes. And most DM's will let the earth domain turn/rebukes power the Earth Devotion feat, which lets you alter terrain around you. (And the fellow certainly sounds like he's spent a lot of time contemplating his cups. :smalltongue: )

Optimystik
2010-07-10, 07:45 AM
You can't get much more "earthy-stony" than Earth Dreamer (RoS). It's full-casting and peanuts to qualify for as well.

Amphetryon
2010-07-10, 08:00 AM
Levels 7, 11, and 13 serve as natural break-points for Spirit Shaman, thanks to the progression of their 'cookies.' Since general advice is to PrC out as soon as it's reasonable, I'd favor Spirit Shaman 7/PrC(s) 8 in some combo.

The benefits of gaining Turn Undead through an easy-access Sacred Exorcist dip are well known. It's not, generally, a Class you need more than a level in, though. Similarly, Divine Oracle 2 provides considerable benefits - full casting, access to a Domain, and a better version of Evasion - without needing to invest further in the PrC.

So far, that gives us Spirit Shaman 7/Sacred Exorcist 1/Divine Oracle 2. Five more levels to consider, having spent 1 Feat and invested in 2 Knowledge Skills. Lots of options still available.

If your campaign is in or near the Frostfell, Rimefire Witch (Frostburn) is within reach at that point, given a decent INT. Its focus on cold-themes can be a boon to your battlefield control aspirations, and could be considered worthwhile to take through to 10 if you're into Fey.

If, instead, you find yourself at sea often, Sea Witch (Stormwrack) deserves mention. Large AoE controlling spells and a funky, though limited, curse ability are strong points.

Mephibosheth
2010-07-10, 08:19 AM
If you're looking for Spirit Shaman-specific PrCs and you think your DM can be convinced to accept homebrew stuff, there are a number of Spirit Shaman PrCs here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154917). Unfortunately, none of them are particularly "earthy-stony" but nor are they "planty-treey." You could take Servant of the Spirits (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8626604&postcount=4) and gradually turn into an earth elemental, though. I could also see a dwarf being interested in Inheritor of the Ancestors (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8655721&postcount=12), though perhaps re-flavoring the ancestral relics to be possessions or things the ancestor crafted instead of actual body parts. If I'm remembering correctly, traditions, family trees and ancestral grudges are a big part of stereotypical dwarven culture. [/shamelessselfpromotion]

Unfortunately, if you're looking for Spirit Shaman PrCs, you're pretty much out of luck outside of homebrew. WotC apparently didn't think Spirit Shamans were worthy of support outside the base class itself. At least, I haven't found any...

Hope that helps.

Mephibosheth

nedz
2010-07-10, 09:01 AM
The selection is very poor for your concept, seems you are off the radar here.

Stormlord is possible - though thats more melle, similiarly with WarPriest.

Lion of Talsid looks reasonable, but you don't qualify beacuase you lack an animal companion. You could try to talk this past your DM on the basis of your spirit guide I suppose. This doesn't sound right for you either however.
I suppose you might try this arguement with some of the Druid based classes, your spirit guide is an animal after all.

Runecaster might work for you - its from PGF
or Earth Dreamer from RoS

Zaq
2010-07-10, 01:19 PM
Earth Dreamer! I had that in the back of my head, but I couldn't quite remember it. That's perfect. I'm pretty sure that the existence of Earth Dreamer was what kept me looking, but I just couldn't remember it.

Now the question is whether to go Spirit Shaman 10 / Earth Dreamer 5, which would get me that guide-concentrates-for-you thing (anyone know how to fluff that, given that I don't like my guide? I'm thinking that it's stealing my spells, and I've never bothered to tell it that it's helping me), or whether to try to sneak Contemplative in there too. I'd need either Education or Ruathar (which I would fluff as being an accidental elf-friend... friggin' elves, they won't leave me alone!) to get K:Religion, but that's doable. Then the only question is what domain I should take. I guess it depends on whether my GM says that I don't have to retrieve domain spells but can spontaneously use them once per day, or if I can retrieve them like any other spells and use them normally. Hmm...

gbprime
2010-07-10, 01:21 PM
Or spend a feat on Knowledge Devotion. That gets you any one knowledge skill as a class skill plus gives you combat bonuses against a lot of foes if you have 2 or 3 types of knowledge, which you would.

Zaq
2010-07-13, 03:14 AM
So, let's say I do snag a domain one way or another. I talked to my GM about how that would actually work (whether I could retrieve it like any other spell, or whether I could spontaneously cast it 1/day without using a Spell Retrieved slot), and he said that he couldn't see a conclusive argument for either side, so he's letting me pick, as long as I stick with my decision. I'm not really sure which would be better for me in the long run. The ability to cast certain domain spells more than once would be really useful (and something that most clerics couldn't pull off, which is kind of funny), but the ability to have some flexibility without using my Retrieved slots is also very tempting, like having a built-in Runestaff. Any thoughts on the matter? (Also, any suggestions for Domains? Again, I want earthy-stony-dwarfy battlefield control. The Earth domain is decent, but I get the hunch there might be something better.)

gorfnab
2010-07-13, 03:28 AM
There are a few listed in the Spirit Shaman Handbook (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19865442/The_Spirit_Shaman_Handbook) that might be worth looking into. Divine Disciple and Walker in the Waster are fairly decent prestige classes for a Spirit Shaman.