PDA

View Full Version : Sea Worthy Sea Combat

Zombieboots
2010-07-10, 01:28 PM
Hey Playgrounds.

I'm running Savage Tide once again for a PbP group. Last time I ran it I used the rules out of Stormwrack. Lets just say the last group and myself were a little underwhelmed with how the Sea-fairing book handled sea combat.

So I turn to the playground: If someone could point me in the direction or or lay down some hard and fast Sea-Combat rules. Specifically dealing with ship on ship battle/speed/movements, Magic user to Ship battle, and perhaps some sailing DCs.

Yes I can make my own rule set but we are running Pathfinder which I am already finding overwhelming just converting the STAP into. Also I prefer to dabble around a bit and pick and choose pieces from other systems I like. General suggestions are also good even if they are incomplete. I have mental glue!

Please and Thank you ofcourse.

Lev
2010-07-10, 02:32 PM
Community Campaign: Floating Worlds (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152205)

Knaight
2010-07-10, 02:41 PM
Doesn't have sea combat rules yet. You might be able to adapt another system, I've heard 7th sea is decent but don't know much about it.

DracoDei
2010-07-10, 07:38 PM
I haven't really looked at the sea-combat rules, but you MIGHT try "Twin Crowns" if you are willing to edit out the cannons.

Dairun Cates
2010-07-10, 07:43 PM
It's actually in the works for Pirates vs. Ninjas, but a system like Serenity does it for spaceships, you might be able to adapt boats. These are for Star Trek-like 1 on 1 dogfight type things. Ditto for Star Wars New Saga edition.

Otherwise, you might consider statting the two boats out as characters... Actually, that's not a bad idea for Pirates vs. Ninja. Just create an ability set and treat them like characters.

AugustNights
2010-07-11, 12:13 AM
Kingdoms of Kalamar, Salt and Sea Dogs has the best naval combat I've seen, I'm rather found of the idea of breaking it down to Sections of the Boat and Mast/Rigging. Besides their suggested ruling of spells and their effects on boats, I found this book to be an amazing resource for all my pirate themed campaigns.

Zombieboots
2010-07-13, 08:11 PM
Huuuuh... That alot a books to buy or ... acquire through other means and read.

I was hoping for something that people could actually post online. If not I'm SOL.