PDA

View Full Version : How to get Fort Immunity (Resolved)

Dire Reverend
2010-07-10, 08:12 PM
So, I am in the process of making a character for a game with a Medusa as a PC. Now we supposedly are on the same side, but just to be sure, I was trying to find ways to become immune to any effect that requires a Fortitude save.

I so far have found that Undead have said ability. Also, Constructs have the same ability, but I believe living constructs do not.

I am looking for anything that grants this ability. Races, classes, templates, prestige classes, feats, whatever. Heck, if anyone knows of homebrew material, tell me as well.

Thank you in advance.

Claudius Maximus
2010-07-10, 08:34 PM
Being blind or specifically immune to gaze effects would also solve this problem. This can be obtained by racial blindness (Grimlock?) or by certain items like the Blindfold of True Darkness.

You could also somehow limit your gaze attack. I think there are several options in Savage Species for accomplishing this.

Dire Reverend
2010-07-10, 08:53 PM
I am looking for things for myself if it turns sour and she goes against me, so her limiting her gaze attack would not work.

Jack_Simth
2010-07-10, 09:08 PM
I am looking for things for myself if it turns sour and she goes against me, so her limiting her gaze attack would not work.
Steadfast Determination (PHB 2) plus a Fort save high enough that a nat-1 is a success (Steadfast Determination gets rid of the auto-fail on a 1 clause for Fort saves ... and lets you use your Con mod on Will saves).

Snake-Aes
2010-07-10, 09:12 PM
I remember a merchant city that had one shopkeeper who was a medusa that loved to sculpt statues in stone. She actually sculpted them even, and was capable of suppressing her gaze attack.

But there was never any rule explaining it =(

Jack_Simth
2010-07-10, 09:19 PM
I remember a merchant city that had one shopkeeper who was a medusa that loved to sculpt statues in stone. She actually sculpted them even, and was capable of suppressing her gaze attack.

But there was never any rule explaining it =(
Ahem (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#gazeAttacks):
Unless specified otherwise, a creature with a gaze attack can control its gaze attack and “turn it off ” when so desired. Allies of a creature with a gaze attack might be affected. All the creature’s allies are considered to be averting their eyes from the creature with the gaze attack, and have a 50% chance to not need to make a saving throw against the gaze attack each round.

There you go.

HunterOfJello
2010-07-10, 09:30 PM
it could be more appropriate to have a feat that the medusa could take to limit their gaze ability

Jack_Simth
2010-07-10, 09:53 PM
it could be more appropriate to have a feat that the medusa could take to limit their gaze ability
There's a number of ways to arrange that, yes. However:

Dire Reverend
2010-07-10, 10:53 PM
Like Jack Smith said, I am not looking for how her to stop herself, as the DM gave her sunglasses that completely cancels out the gaze attack until taken off (like cyclops from X-Men)

Grumman
2010-07-10, 11:07 PM
The Entropist PrC from Lords of Darkness gives you immunity to all hostile attempts to transmute your body, including petrification. There's also a +5 armour enhancement in Complete Arcane that does almost the same thing.

Dr.Epic
2010-07-10, 11:11 PM
Green Star Adept?

Ranos
2010-07-10, 11:13 PM
The vestige Haagenti from tome of magic makes you immune to any transformation effects, petrification included.

I don't really get why you're so worried about the medusa turning on you though. Any other party member can kill you just as dead, right ?

Dire Reverend
2010-07-10, 11:25 PM
The vestige Haagenti from tome of magic makes you immune to any transformation effects, petrification included.

I don't really get why you're so worried about the medusa turning on you though. Any other party member can kill you just as dead, right ?

The way the PC plays their character makes me think she might try to petrify me.

Hadrian_Emrys
2010-07-10, 11:45 PM
Roll a necropolitan <insert race here>. Easy as falling off a log. I'm looking for other means by which to more... subtly undermine the misnamed gorgon, but it'll do as a simple plan b.

Saya
2010-07-11, 01:29 AM
Ghostwalk? Stop pissing off the medusa?

Also, what level are you starting at?

Lycanthromancer
2010-07-11, 11:53 AM
I don't really get why you're so worried about the medusa turning you on though.This is how I read it. I'm glad I read it incorrectly.

I second necropolitan. Or you could use the ghost progression in Ghostwalk, as was alluded to earlier. One level can give you undead status and incorporeality. Great for spellcasters and manifesters; not so great for warblades and factotums.

There's at least one spell that blocks gaze attacks, though I don't recall the name.

You can also use psionics for touchsight and keep your eyes closed. Or you could pull off a The Big Guy Is With Me build, use your psicrystal as your main mechanical means of interacting with the world, and have your 'master' be blind and use you as a Seeing Eye Stone.

Critical
2010-07-11, 12:34 PM
Be a DFA with Tremorsense and close your eyes?

Optimystik
2010-07-11, 12:37 PM
You can also use psionics for touchsight and keep your eyes closed. Or you could pull off a The Big Guy Is With Me build, use your psicrystal as your main mechanical means of interacting with the world, and have your 'master' be blind and use you as a Seeing Eye Stone.

Or keep your eyes closed and use Synesthete. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/synesthete.htm)

Lycanthromancer
2010-07-11, 12:43 PM
Or keep your eyes closed and use Synesthete. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/synesthete.htm)That's truthiness, that is.

Just watch out for laser-bears.

Ernir
2010-07-11, 01:13 PM
If her Fortitude save sucks, you can keep a Seething Eyebane (Book of Vile Darkness) spell in reserve. She gets frisky, you make her eyes explode.

Munchkin-Masher
2010-07-11, 02:09 PM
The Master of Many Forms PrC capstone grant inmmunity to all transmutation effects inless you willingly accept them.

Endarire
2010-07-11, 05:28 PM
Wear very shiny and reflective gear, including a mirrored full helm.

sofawall
2010-07-11, 05:54 PM
Aren't creatures normally immune to gaze attacks by themselves and others of their kind?

Hadrian_Emrys
2010-07-11, 06:21 PM
If her Fortitude save sucks, you can keep a Seething Eyebane (Book of Vile Darkness) spell in reserve. She gets frisky, you make her eyes explode.

I should not be laughing this hard at such a horridly awesome way to kill the same bird twice with one stone... -but I am.

gorfnab
2010-07-11, 06:47 PM
Lists of Stuff (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19871954/Lists_of_Stuff) - has a decent listing of where to find various immunities for characters

Lhurgyof
2010-07-11, 07:29 PM
There's a feat she can take so that it doesn't affect allies, IIRC.
Plus, there's an item that makes it not affect allies, too.

These are in Savage Species.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2010-07-11, 08:09 PM
Persisted Surge of Fortune (CC) works, once a day. Mind Over Body (ToB) combined with Steady Concentration (RoS) works, once an encounter. What kind of character do you want to play? It shouldn't be defined by one ability of one potential devious character, even if you do end up taking precautions.

gdiddy
2010-07-11, 08:10 PM
I would get plot immunity, from the Tome of Life Experience:

The two of you could resolve this like adults out of game.

The occasional playful threat is cute, but I have a feeling starting an intra-party arms race is a possible outcome.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2010-07-11, 08:16 PM
I would get plot immunity, from the Tome of Life Experience:

The two of you could resolve this like adults out of game.

The occasional playful threat is cute, but I have a feeling starting an intra-party arms race is a possible outcome.I get the feeling that either the medusa character might not always act like an adult, or it's a game where backstabbing is okay, or a little of both. Secretly maintaining an ace in the hole in case things get ugly isn't going to start an arms race.

Dire Reverend
2010-07-11, 09:30 PM
I am just worried that the playstyle of the PC could end up with me as a statue.

I am playing as a wizard, and I think that I am going with becoming a necropolitician. Thank everyone for the help

Lhurgyof
2010-07-11, 09:32 PM
Bone Creature template from Book of Vile Darkness?

taltamir
2010-07-11, 09:33 PM
So, I am in the process of making a character for a game with a Medusa as a PC. Now we supposedly are on the same side, but just to be sure, I was trying to find ways to become immune to any effect that requires a Fortitude save.

why not just find a way to become immune to petrification?

Dire Reverend
2010-07-11, 09:36 PM
Well, the idea that I see me taking is undead.

Lhurgyof
2010-07-11, 09:38 PM
Well, the idea that I see me taking is undead.

Not sure if necropolitan has a LA, but BoVD has two undead templates without any. But that's sweet, being undead is cool, but make sure to account for your weaknesses.

gdiddy
2010-07-11, 09:42 PM
I'm not saying to avoid the immunity, but walking in tomorrow going "My character is immune to that thing that your character spent all the LA and RHD getting" would be kind of frustrating, if there is only a misunderstanding.

Most people are very reasonable.

The Rose Dragon
2010-07-12, 06:14 AM
Not sure if necropolitan has a LA, but BoVD has two undead templates without any. But that's sweet, being undead is cool, but make sure to account for your weaknesses.

They have an LA of -, which means they are not suitable for player characters.

I might be wrong, though. I haven't checked the BoVD in a long time.

Lycanthromancer
2010-07-12, 10:33 AM
They have an LA of -, which means they are not suitable for player characters.

I might be wrong, though. I haven't checked the BoVD in a long time.Necropolitans are from Libris Mortis, and they have no Level Adjustment, and are, yes, meant for players, DM willing.

It's not a normal template. You have to go through a ritual and lose 1 previously-gained level and 1000 XP, so it's not a Level Adjustment in a normal sense; it's level-loss. Kind of like auto-buy-backable LA.

Ormagoden
2010-07-12, 10:44 AM
Did somebody say bears? I thought I heard bears...

~Nye~
2010-07-12, 09:01 PM
There's a psionic power available to psions and wilders (maybe psychic warriors?) that gives you immunity to gaze attacks, I can't remember the name or it's duration, but it's in the expanded psionics book, has a picture of a psion looking at a medusa right in the middle of the page, I can remember that much. Hope that helps.

olentu
2010-07-12, 09:14 PM
There's a psionic power available to psions and wilders (maybe psychic warriors?) that gives you immunity to gaze attacks, I can't remember the name or it's duration, but it's in the expanded psionics book, has a picture of a psion looking at a medusa right in the middle of the page, I can remember that much. Hope that helps.

That would be synesthete if I remember correctly.

~Nye~
2010-07-12, 09:21 PM
yeah I remember now, 10 min duration with a 1PP cost.