PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Feats (PEACH)

Rowanomicon
2010-07-10, 10:12 PM
I want to create feats that grant characters the bonuses that would be provided if they were either one Size Category larger or smaller without the penalties that would normally come a long with them. This does not include the bonuses to abilities scored that monsters gain when they change size categories.

Yes, this is similar to certain Racial Abilities that exist in D&D 3.5.

I want to make sure I get everything right and don't miss anything.

- Slight Finesse [General]

Prerequisites
Dex 15

Benefit
You are treated as being one Size Category smaller than you actually are whenever, and only when, it would be beneficial to you.
This grants you Size bonuses to Armor Class, Attack rolls and Hide checks.
This also means that you can move through the spaces occupied by creatures only 2 or more Size Categories larger than you, since you count as one smaller than you already are.

Normal
You normally receive only the benefits and penalties from only the Size Category that you actually are.

Special
A Fighter may select Slight Finesse as one of his/her Fighter Bonus Feats.

- Expansive Durability [General]

Prerequisites
Str 17, Con 15

Benefit
You are treated as being one size category larger than you actually are whenever, and only when, it would be beneficial to you.
This grants you x2 Carrying Capacity, larger natural weapon damage, benefits to opposed checks such as Grapple, Bull Rush and Trip attempts, and.
You are also considered to be one size larger when determining whether a creature’s special attacks based on size (such as improved grab or swallow whole) can affect you, but only if this is beneficial to you.
This does not affect your Space, Reach or Speed nor does it allow you to use weapons of larger size categories without the normal penalties.

Normal
You normally receive only the benefits and penalties from only the Size Category that you actually are.

Special
A Fighter may select Expansive Durability as one of his/her Fighter Bonus Feats.

- Long Limbed [General]

Prerequisites
Size Category Small or larger.

Benefit
You gain +10 Feet to Speed and +5 Feet to Reach.
You may also move through squares occupied by creatures only 2 or more Size Categories smaller than you.

Special
A Fighter may take this as one of his/her Fighter Bonus Feats.

----------------------------------

Here's another Feat that's not really related.
Possibly more to come as well.

- A-List Athlete [General]

Prerequisites
At least 2 of the following Feats: Acrobatic (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#acrobatic), Agile (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#agile), Alertness (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#alertness), Athletic (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#athletic)

Benefit
You gain an additional +8 bonus on all Jump, Tumble, Balance, Escape Artist, Listen, Spot, Climb and Swim checks.

Special
A Fighter may select A-List Athlete as one of his/her Fighter Bonus Feats.

Temotei
2010-07-10, 10:31 PM
- Slight Finesse [General]

Prerequisites
Dex 15

Benefit
You are treated as being one size category smaller than you actually are whenever, and only when, it would be beneficial to you.
This grants you +1 Size bonus to Armor Class, +1 Size bonus to Attack rolls, +4 Size bonus to Hide checks.

Normal

Special
A Fighter may select Slight Finesse as one of his/her Fighter Bonus Feats.

Take out the last part about what the smaller size category gives you. If a character is diminutive, the bonuses will be different.

While this feat isn't as useful to most fighters as the below feat, it's still pretty decent.

Are you allowed to have Expansive Durability with this feat?

- Expansive Durability [General]

Prerequisites
Str 15, Con 13

Benefit
You are treated as being one size category larger than you actually are whenever, and only when, it would be beneficial to you.
This grants you x2 Carrying Capacity, +10 Feet Speed, larger natural weapon damage, able to use larger weapons, +5 Feet Reach, and benefits to opposed checks such as Grapple, Bull Rush and Trip attempts.
You are also considered to be one size larger when determining whether a creature’s special attacks based on size (such as improved grab or swallow whole) can affect you, but only if this is beneficial to you.
This does not affect your Space.

Normal

Special
A Fighter may select Expansive Durability as one of his/her Fighter Bonus Feats.

Expect every fighter, ever, to take this. Seriously. No exceptions.

- A-List Athlete [General]

Prerequisites
Acrobatic (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#acrobatic), Agile (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#agile), Alertness (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#alertness), Athletic (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#athletic)

Benefit
You gain an additional +2 bonus on all Jump, Tumble, balance, Escape Artist, Listen, Spot, Climb and Swim checks.

Special
A Fighter may select A-List Athlete as one of his/her Fighter Bonus Feats.

Expect nobody to ever take this, as nobody will ever take Acrobatic, Agile, Alertness, and Athletic with the same character, then use another feat slot for small bonuses to some skills.

Ajadea
2010-07-10, 10:47 PM
You really shouldn't be able to take slight finesse and expansive durability at the same time. Reach perhaps shouldn't be expanded by Expansive durability, as powerful build does not do that either. You can also remove the notes about what it gives you, as there's more to it than combat bonuses (escape artist, intimidate, etc)

Also, what the above poster said. All fighters will take Expansive Durability, no exceptions.

Temotei
2010-07-10, 10:49 PM
All fighters will take Expansive Durability, no exceptions.

And by fighter, I meant every melee character. Fighters will just get it more easily.

Rowanomicon
2010-07-10, 11:08 PM
Thank you, everyone, for the feedback.

Take out the last part about what the smaller size category gives you. If a character is diminutive, the bonuses will be different.

Thanks, will do.

Are you allowed to have Expansive Durability with [Slight Finesse at the same time]?

This may seem counter intuitive in most cases, but I would say yes it is possible in some cases so I didn't put a ruling in against it.
I would say that most character ideas would not involve both; use it if it's right for your character.

Expect every fighter, ever, to take this. Seriously. No exceptions.

I figured this as I know how advantageous Powerful Build is. Perhaps more/greater Prerequisites?

Expect nobody to ever take this, as nobody will ever take Acrobatic, Agile, Alertness, and Athletic with the same character, then use another feat slot for small bonuses to some skills.

I'll increase the bonus to +4, but that wont help much will it? Would +6, or is this a lost cause unless I come up with something other than flat skill bonuses?

each perhaps shouldn't be expanded by Expansive durability, as powerful build does not do that either.

I agree that it is not quite balanced at this point.
Perhaps there could be a separate Feat granting Reach (Expansive Reach?).
That would be good enough on it's own.
Does it already exist?
Instead, or as well, I will increase the Prerequisites for Expansive Durability.

You can also remove the notes about what it gives you, as there's more to it than combat bonuses

I would like to compile a complete list of things that Size Category affects.

Mystic Muse
2010-07-10, 11:15 PM
I'll increase the bonus to +4, but that wont help much will it? Would +6, or is this a lost cause unless I come up with something other than flat skill bonuses?

You'd be hard pressed to find somebody who'd take five feats for skill bonuses

Rowanomicon
2010-07-10, 11:18 PM
You'd be hard pressed to find somebody who'd take five feats for skill bonuses

That's what I figured.
I made it and additional +8 to each of them, but I'm still not sure that someone would want to spend 5 Feats, even for +10 to 8 different skills.

Temotei
2010-07-10, 11:23 PM

You tell me. Do you know of anyone that's willing to have those four prerequisite feats at the same time by spending feat slots? The only way someone would take your feat is if the prerequisites were free.

I agree that it is not quite balanced at this point.
Perhaps there could be a separate Feat granting Reach (Expansive Reach?).
That would be good enough on it's own.
Does it already exist?
Instead, or as well, I will increase the Prerequisites for Expansive Durability.

Granting reach with a feat probably isn't such a good idea.

I would like compile a complete list of things that Size Category affects.

Growth modifiers

{table=head]Base Size|New Size| AC & Attack Bonuses*|Space*|Reach (Tall/Long)*|Ave. Size Incr.|Ave. Weight Incr.|Grapple Mod.|Hide Mod.
Fine|Diminutive|-4 (size)|+½’|+0’/+0’|+6”|+1/2 lb.|+4 (size)|-4 (size)
Diminutive|Tiny|-2 (size)|+1½’|+0’/+0’|+9”|+5 lbs.|+4 (size)|-4 (size)
Tiny|Small| -1 (size)|+2½’|+5’/+5’|+18”|+36 lbs.|+4 (size)|-4 (size)
Small|Medium| -1 (size)|+0’|+0’/+0’|+3’|+240 lbs.|+4 (size)|-4 (size)
Medium|Large|-1 (size)|+5’|+5’/+0’|+6’|+2000 lbs.|+4 (size)|-4 (size)
Large|Huge|-1 (size)|+5’|+5’/+5’|+12’|+8 tons|+4 (size)|-4 (size)
Huge|Gargantuan|-2 (size)|+5’|+5’/+5’|+24’|+80 tons|+4 (size)|-4 (size)
Gargantuan|Colossal|-4 (size)|+10’|+10’/+5’|+48’|+200 tons|+4 (size)|-4 (size)
[/table]

No you don't gain extra stats just for growing. It's not even listed on the table. Just to make it clear since every other person asks it.
Your natural weapons damage increases one die size for each size increase tough.

Kudos to Zeta Kai for the basis of the above table.

Kayne650
2010-07-10, 11:27 PM
I would recommend having a requirement for Slight Finesse that would make it mutually exclusive with Expansive Durability. The first thing that comes to my mind would be a Con maximum, something like 13 or lower, though I'm not sure if there's any precedent for such requirements.

Rowanomicon
2010-07-10, 11:38 PM
You tell me. Do you know of anyone that's willing to have those four prerequisite feats at the same time by spending feat slots? The only way someone would take your feat is if the prerequisites were free.

You're right. So, what if the Prerequisite was only 2 out of those 4 Feats?

Granting reach with a feat probably isn't such a good idea.

Thinks it's too good? What if it's a Fighter Only Feat (I don't really like that idea, actually)?

I would recommend having a requirement for Slight Finesse that would make it mutually exclusive with Expansive Durability. The first thing that comes to my mind would be a Con maximum, something like 13 or lower, though I'm not sure if there's any precedent for such requirements.

Now that Expansive Durability and Long Limbed are separate Feats this might be a better idea, but I'm still not sure.
Would you mind convincing me?

Temotei
2010-07-10, 11:53 PM

Penalizing a character's ability to take feats for having high ability scores isn't a good idea.

Mystic Muse
2010-07-10, 11:55 PM
Penalizing a character's ability to take feats for having high ability scores isn't a good idea.

QFT.

It's a lot easier to just make the feats mutually exclusive than to find requirement feats/requirements that makes them mutually exclusive.

Rowanomicon
2010-07-11, 12:04 AM
I agree with you, Kyuubi and Temotei.

Should they be mutually exclusive?
Isn't it possible, though probably rare, for someone to possess both?

Jolee
2010-07-11, 12:16 AM
Does Alertness gained via a familiar/psicrystal count for qualifying for feats normally? I'm just wondering what classes can access A-list Athlete from level one (assuming a racial bonus feat). Not that there'd be anything wrong with accessing it at level one.

EDIT: Also, are the bonuses to skills in A-List Athlete and to speed in Long-limbed both unnamed bonuses?

Rowanomicon
2010-07-11, 12:30 AM
Does Alertness gained via a familiar/psicrystal count for qualifying for feats normally?

I think so.

Also, are the bonuses to skills in A-List Athlete and to speed in Long-limbed both unnamed bonuses?

Would you suggest using a specific type of bonus? If so, which type?
The only one I think could be applicable is Competence Bonus (and even then only for the A-Lister, not the Long Limbed).

Jolee
2010-07-11, 01:24 AM
For A-List Athlete the feats it's based off use unnamed, so I see no problem with having it stack with everything; after all, you spend a feat to get it so it would suck to see it overlapped by a magic item.

The question of bonus type was more aimed at long-limbed, as movement bonuses are a little wonky between classes (the barbarian's is unnamed so it stacks with anything but the scout's and monk's are both enhancement bonuses). So if you want any class to use these feats then leave them as unnamed.

On a non-redundant note, long-limbed should have a minimum size at one of the requirements (probably small), otherwise you'd end up with tiny creatures capably of attacking adjacent squares. And if that happens then titan bloodline pixies get a whole lot scarier :smalleek:

Rowanomicon
2010-07-11, 02:05 AM
For A-List Athlete the feats it's based off use unnamed, so I see no problem with having it stack with everything; after all, you spend a feat to get it so it would suck to see it overlapped by a magic item.

Agreed. Unnamed bonus for A-List it is.

The question of bonus type was more aimed at long-limbed, as movement bonuses are a little wonky between classes (the barbarian's is unnamed so it stacks with anything but the scout's and monk's are both enhancement bonuses). So if you want any class to use these feats then leave them as unnamed.

OK, Unnamed bonus for Long Limbed as well.

On a non-redundant note, long-limbed should have a minimum size at one of the requirements (probably small), otherwise you'd end up with tiny creatures capably of attacking adjacent squares. And if that happens then titan bloodline pixies get a whole lot scarier :smalleek:

You're right, setting a Perquisite size of Small or larger is a good idea, I'll go do that now.

EDIT: Tiny creatures could still qualify for Long Limbed by first taking Expansive Durability.

Also Slight Finesse and either Expansive Durability and/or Long Limbed should work for moving through a space occupied by a 3 Size Categories larger or smaller than the Character.
DONE

EDIT2: Took the ability to use larger size category weapons away from Expansive Durability.