PDA

View Full Version : Expedition to Northern Noco

Volthawk
2010-07-11, 05:24 AM
As you stand outside the gates of the manor, a light drizzle starts to fall. You can see the ocean to your right, although no boats are visible. The manor itself is located in sparse woodland, with small farms among the trees. All the roads here are just dirt tracks, and can be quite irregular. You are still waiting for someone to let you in the manor.

Rannil
2010-07-11, 01:02 PM
Out either the feeling of boredom or impatience, Tarilrelh decides to inspect the door more closer. He knocks on the door to hear how thick the wood is, he judges the strength of the hinges and makes a rough estimate of how easy it would be to break open the door.

Simba
2010-07-12, 01:05 AM
Mrin

Mrin looks on stoically, his gray tail's twitching from time to time the only sign of his impatience.

He has the body of a snow leopard, with medium grey fur and dark, almost black spots. From the waist up he is a human man wearing a thick bearhide cloak, with grey-brown leathers underneath. His hair is dark grey and worn in a long, tightly bound braid. His eyes sparkle with golden light and have the vertical slits usual to cats.

He carries a greatsword and a composite bow on his back, but very little other equipment. The rings, bracelets and other assorted pieces of jewelry usually found on adventurers of experience are absent and his equipment, while well maintained and clean, seems to be of average quality.

Derjuin
2010-07-12, 09:50 AM
Eleanor

Asleep in a barely-noticeable heap on the side of the road, Eleanor wakes with a jump as a drop of rain splatters on her forehead. She tries to mumble something, then turns over and notices other people waiting at the manor's door.

"Are y-ooh..." She starts to say, then notices the half-man, half-cat-looking fellow. She shakes her head and starts again, this time standing and coming out of the shadows.

"Are you here for the expedition, too?" She says, looking from the elf inspecting the door to the cat-person.

She is "short" as far as tall folk would say, though she is perfectly normal in height for a halfling, which she is. Her clothing is mostly a batch of brown leather and heavy furs sewn and patched tight. Her black hair is tied back into a ponytail, though it's been mussed a bit from her nap.

Simba
2010-07-12, 09:55 AM
Mrin

The 'half-man, half-cat-looking fellow' turns towards the little one and smiles: "Awake at last? Yes, I am here to wait, it seems. Patience is a virtue."

After a pause he adds: "I am Mrin."

Frog Dragon
2010-07-12, 10:35 AM
From the road walked a five and a half foot tall changeling with little discernible facial features. In his current form, his hair was an ethereal grey color and his eyes had the same featureless grey shade. He walked up to the gate and sat down, leaning on the wall.

Rannil
2010-07-12, 12:02 PM
Hearing people talk behind him Tarilrelh stops checking out the door and turns around. For an elf he is of normal size, but compared to humans he less tall then the average female. His body looks young, but he has a wizened look in his light blue eyes and his hair is silvery-white. You got the feeling his hair was once blond now, but now it's the only show of older age. He wears a long cloak and has a lot of accessories, but he doesn't seem to carry any weapon.

He bows gracefully. "Greetings. My name is Tarilrelh and I am too, here to wait for the expedition. It is not that we can a lot else for the moment. Al though the door is weak."

Derjuin
2010-07-15, 08:39 AM
Eleanor bows her head and looks up to the manor door, then back to the others.

"You can call me Eleanor Blackleaf; simply Eleanor will do, though."

She walks up next to the new feature-lacking fellow and politely prods him in the side. "Who might you be?" She asks with a smile.

Frog Dragon
2010-07-15, 10:46 AM
Taran looks up. "I am Taran. I'm part of the expedition. I understand you are too?" Taran picks himself up, offering to shake hands.

Simba
2010-07-15, 11:58 AM
Mrin

Mrin extends his hands, obviously trying to not hurt the seemingly much weaker changeling: "I am called Mrin. I will be your guide to the coldlands. They were my home once. I was born to them and I have returned time and time to see its wonders, delight in its harsh beauty and survive its brutal caress. I will do my best to keep us all alive. I trust you are all well prepared for what we must face?"

Frog Dragon
2010-07-16, 05:14 AM
The changeling surprises you, for his handshake does not feel weak at all. "I am well prepared, yes." However, he wears no obvious armor, nor does he carry a weapon.

Volthawk
2010-07-18, 01:53 PM
Half an hour later, there is still nobody at the gate to let you in.

Derjuin
2010-07-18, 03:36 PM
((nonsensical action erased))

Eleanor taps her foot for a moment and sighs.

"I wonder if there's some way we can let whoever owns this place know someone's here..."

Simba
2010-07-19, 01:25 AM
Mrin

"This is getting ridiculous. Why call us all here and then let us wait outside?"

Mrin walks along the walls, looks at the gates critically, then shrugs.

How high are the walls? How do they look? Is there some kind of knocking mechanism or bell? Anything to let them know we are here?

Volthawk
2010-07-19, 10:28 AM
The walls are 60ft high, and are made out of uneven stone. There is a bell, but pulling it seems to make no sound. You see reddish light coming from inside the manor.

Simba
2010-07-19, 11:59 AM
Mrin

"Shall we wait a little longer or let ourselves in to see what is keeping them? Maybe this bell does not ring inside. Or would you rather not intrude on our noble patron?" Mrin says with a grin. "We could go over the wall or simply check if the door is open"

He then goes and checks the gates.

Frog Dragon
2010-07-19, 03:49 PM
"I could easily get in." Taran says. "The area is probably not warded against dimensional intrusion."

Simba
2010-07-20, 12:52 AM
Mrin

"I could get in as well, but I am not sure our host will like that. On the other hand something could be wrong in there, the red light looks strange."

Simba
2010-07-21, 02:20 AM
Mrin

Getting impatient, flies up to a height of 70' and looks over the walls into the ground below and towards the house, looking for signs or sounds of 'something wrong'.

Listen: 1d20+22
Spot: 1d20+22

Simba
2010-07-21, 02:56 AM
Rolls did not work, so here they are again:

Listen: [roll0]
Spot: [roll1]

Volthawk
2010-07-21, 03:33 AM
Mrin hears sounds of fighting, and looking around, you notice a human trying to sneak around the house, badly.

Rannil
2010-07-21, 03:40 AM
Tarilrelh rolls his eyes and takes his thief's tools out his belt. He studies the lock and goes to work.

Search on the Lock: [roll0]
Open Lock: [roll1]

P.S. can't we just take 10 on spot and listen atm?

Simba
2010-07-21, 03:44 AM
Mrin

Mrin flies back down again.

"There is fighting going on in there and someone is sneaking around. Lets go and chack it out, our host might be in need of saving! Can I give a lift to someone?"

Volthawk
2010-07-21, 03:47 AM
The lock appears to be nothing special, and opens without much effort. The manor is some distance away, and getting closer, you notice what those lights were. Fire.

Yeah, you can take 10.

Simba
2010-07-21, 03:51 AM
Mrin

Seeing that at least some part of the house is burning, Mrin takes to the air again, taking the first person who agreed to his offer of a lift with him and accelerates towards the flames, looking for people in need of a rescue.

Taking 10 on Spot and Listen results in a 32 in both cases.
Mrin can carry almost anyone without reaching the limit for a light load (532 lbs) so it does not slow him down at all.

Rannil
2010-07-21, 04:17 AM
Seeing that Mrin goes towards the house and spotting the figure sneaking around Tarilrelh decides sneaks up on him.

Spot: 29
Listen: 29

Hide: [roll0]
Move Silently: [roll1]

Frog Dragon
2010-07-21, 10:47 AM
"Looks like we will have to bail out our prospective employer" Taran says, moving to the door of the manor. He tries to open it, and if that fails, he'll kick it down, taking ten on the strength check (Final result 17).

Derjuin
2010-07-21, 01:35 PM
Likewise, Eleanor rushes toward the manor, and draws two of her knives in case the group's potential employer needs combat-oriented help. She runs up behind Taran and stands ready to rush in.

Volthawk
2010-07-22, 05:59 PM
The door opens without any trouble, and you notice that the lock has been smashed. It opens into a grand hall, with an orc, just wearing a pair of trousers, unconscious on the floor. Bending down over him is a humanoid creature, with rubbery mauve skin, and head with six tentacles, two a lot longer than the others. Once it sees you, it rises quickly, and you see how large it really is.

Tarilrelh sneaks up behind the human easily, and you see him looking around in a pack, eventually pulling out a grappling hook, and hooking it onto one of the statues on the manor's roof. He then begins to climb.

Simba
2010-07-23, 12:49 AM
Mrin

Mrin charges the creature without pause or drawing a weapon, using his claws instead.

Initiative first, I guess: [roll0]

Rannil
2010-07-23, 04:31 AM
"Why are you breaking in a building that on fire?" Tarilrelh asks while pointing his his finger (In the form of a finger gun) at the man.

Volthawk
2010-07-23, 04:33 AM
"What? I'm not breaking in. Surprise attack, my friend. Damn ulitharid won't see it coming!"

With that, he starts to climb up the rope. You see he has no real weapons, just a shortsword, and is just wearing light leather armour.

Rannil
2010-07-23, 04:40 AM
"Ulitharid eh, is that the owner of this mansion, or the one burning it?"

Frog Dragon
2010-07-23, 04:42 AM
"Alright, who are you." Taran questions the large creature, ready to attack.
Initiative: [roll0]
I shift into Giant's Stance
I'm going to try diplomacy first so I don't attack the owner or something but if he doesn't give a satisfactory answer, I searing charge his ass with snap kick. :smallbiggrin:
Attack rolls, Full attack first, Snap Kick last. [roll1], [roll2], [roll3], [roll4]
Damage Rolls, Same order: [roll5], [roll6], [roll7], [roll8]
Fire Damage [roll9]

Simba
2010-07-23, 04:48 AM
Mrin

Roaring like a lion, Mrin jumps for the evil creature in front of him without regard to his personal safety, claws extended to reap and rend.

Charge, using his claws as his primary natural attack:
- Power Attack for 5 points,
- Smite Evil (+4/+8),
- Charging Smite (+16 damage),
- Vicious (+2d6 damage, taking 1d6 himself),
- Rapidstrike (+1 attack at -5),
- Leap Attack (+100% Power Attack damage),
- Touch of Golden Ice (FORT DC 14: 1d6 Dex Primary, 2d6 Dex secondary damage),
- Improved Skirmish (+2d6 damage),
- Pounce (full attack after charge)
- Rend (rend attack deals damage equal to the creature's natural attack + 1-1/2 times its Str modifier)

attack1: [roll0] damage: [roll1] plus [roll2]
Additional effects: FORT DC 14: 1d6 Dex Primary, 2d6 Dex secondary damage if hit

attack2: [roll3] damage: [roll4] plus [roll5]
Additional effects: FORT DC 14: 1d6 Dex Primary, 2d6 Dex secondary damage if hit

attack3: [roll6] damage: [roll7] plus [roll8]

attack4: [roll9] damage: [roll10] plus [roll11]

attack5: [roll12] damage: [roll13] plus [roll14]

For using the viscous ability, Mrin takes 1d6 damage hiimself per successful hit. Rolling 5d6 separately, just in case:
[roll15]
[roll16]
[roll17]
[roll18]
[roll19]

Simba
2010-07-23, 04:53 AM
Mrin

Critical:

Attack 3 was a natural 20: [roll0] additional damage: [roll1] plus [roll2]

Sorry for jumping in and ruining your diplomacy, but Mrin seems to be upset by the situation. I as a player really hope he did nothing wrong. He as a character know he did nothing wrong.

Volthawk
2010-07-23, 04:55 AM
Mrin

Critical:

Attack 3 was a natural 20: [roll0] additional damage: [roll1] plus [roll2]

Sorry for jumping in and ruining your diplomacy, but Mrin seems to be upset by the situation. I as a player really hope he did nothing wrong. He as a character know he did nothing wrong.

No plus 8d6. Extra damage isn't multiplied.

Simba
2010-07-23, 04:57 AM
No plus 8d6. Extra damage isn't multiplied.

Please see the Telling Blow feat. Is it added.

Volthawk
2010-07-23, 05:30 AM
The man looks down, a confused look on his face. "You don't know what ulitharids are, do you? They're the tentacled freaks, brain-eaters."
-------------------

As Mrin and Taran charge, you hear in your minds Reckless. Very reckless.. As you get close, the creature disappears.

Rannil
2010-07-23, 05:48 AM
"Didn't that name start with the letter I? Owh well, I guess that makes you on of the good guys. I am going to check on my... team members, I hope they know more then me." Tarilrelh waves and walks towards the front entrance.

Frog Dragon
2010-07-23, 05:57 AM
"This thing is like a powered up version of the Mind Flayer" Taran says. "Watch out, it could come back."
Assuming it doesn't attack before my next turn, I manifest Metaphysical Claw, augmented to cost 13 power points, reduced to 12 by the Torc. Gives me a +4 enchantment bonus to my unarmed attacks for 15 hours.
I use a move action to obtain psionic focus.

Derjuin
2010-07-23, 12:36 PM
Eleanor gasps when she sees the thing, and starts to pull her hand back to throw a dagger right as the thing disappears. She looks around the room quickly and mutters "Where did it go?"

Volthawk
2010-07-23, 03:55 PM
As time passes, the ulitharid doesn't return, leaving you standing there with the unconscious orc, and that's the scene Tarilrelh walks into.

Rannil
2010-07-23, 04:16 PM
"Was that the evil guy? Orc doesn't sound like Ulihairit. What did I miss?" Tarilrelh frowns "Anyhow I talked with that guy sneaking around, he wasn't breaking in, although he was entering through the window, and he was hunting brain eating Ulitairits. I figured brain eaters where a bigger threat then people breaking in in burning houses."

Frog Dragon
2010-07-24, 02:57 AM
"We just attacked the Ulitharid but it disappeared. The Ulitharid is basically a bigger, more dangerous illithid. A small percentage of illithids actually turn out to be Ulitharids. We better watch out backs. "

Rannil
2010-07-25, 02:15 PM
"Illithid, that was the word I was looking for." He stares at the orc. "Shouldn't we check on it, or plunder it's corpse?

Tarilrelh shrugs and walks towards the orc, checking if it is still alive by kicking it in the side.

Simba
2010-07-26, 01:02 AM
Mrin

Mrin looks around where the creature dissappeared, wondering why none of his attacks seemed to have doen it any harm.

Volthawk
2010-07-26, 01:25 PM
Tarilrelh's kick seems to have no effect; either the orc is unconscious or dead.

Rannil
2010-07-26, 03:19 PM
Tarilrelh kicks.
It's not very effective.

"I think he is dead." Tarilrelh points his finger(gun) towards the orc. "Or does someone want to touch it to check a pulse?"

Derjuin
2010-07-26, 05:13 PM
"Regardless of whether he's alive or not, we should probably get him out of the burning house just in case!" Eleanor offers, then looks back down to the orc. "It'll probably be quieter outside; I could check after he's out there."

Simba
2010-07-28, 08:13 AM
Mrin

Very carefully Mrin takes the orc and carries him outside. He looks around, waiting for Eleanor to point out a place to put him down: "Where do you want him?"

Derjuin
2010-07-29, 09:14 AM
"Somewhere on the grass will do; here's fine. She points to a spot alongside the pathway and slips her daggers back into their respective pockets and takes off one of her gloves.

Simba
2010-07-29, 09:20 AM
Mrin

Mrin carefully puts the orc down on the grass nearby, then turns around to guard Eleanor.

Rannil
2010-08-04, 05:04 AM
Tarilrelh also walks out the house towards the rest. Still aiming his finger(gun)s at the orc. He is tempted to give another kick in the side of the orc, but seeing that Mrin is being carefull he decided not to do it.

Simba
2010-08-30, 07:10 AM
Mrin

"So, what are we going to do with this guy now?" Mrin asks Eleanor. "Is he going to survive?"