PDA

View Full Version : [3.5 PEACH]The Soul Sharer PRC

TaintedLight
2010-07-11, 10:50 PM
I'm a big fan of variant systems like ToB, pact magic, incarnum, mysteries and the like, so it was really just a matter of time until I was inspired enough to write this up. The goal wasn't to produce a really powerful class, but rather to blend the two systems in a way that just feels natural. Please let me know what you think!

Soul Sharer

The power of souls is one of the forces that drives the Great Wheel of the multiverse. Powerful entities who were once spirits of great outsiders, mortals, and beasts unknown surface from time to time as the mysterious beings called vestiges, and the power of raw souls, sometimes called incarnum, suffuses existence with the essence of all creatures; living, dead, undead, or otherwise. The Soul Sharer has knowledge of both vestiges and incarnum and learns to offer up a portion of his own soul's energy to vestiges when he makes pacts above and beyond what binders traditionally dare to promise these mysterious entities.

Entry Requirements:
Skills: Knowledge (the planes) or Knowledge (religion) 8 ranks, Knowledge (arcana) 8 ranks
Feats: Any Incarnum feat, Expel Vestige
Special: Pact Augmentation class feature
Meldshaping: Meldshaping level 3rd

Hit Die: d6

{TABLE="head"]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Meldshaping
1|+0|+0|+0|+2|Cerulean Fortitude, Amplify Spirit, Soul Binding +1|+1 level of existing meldshaping class
2|+1|+0|+0|+3|Soul Binding +2, Chakra bind (feet, hands)|+1 level of existing meldshaping class
3|+1|+1|+1|+3|Soul Binding +3|+1 level of existing meldshaping class
4|+2|+1|+1|+4|Soul Binding +4, Soulshield|+1 level of existing meldshaping class
5|+2|+1|+1|+4|Soul Binding +5|+1 level of existing meldshaping class
6|+3|+2|+2|+5|Soul Binding +6, Chakra bind (arms)|+1 level of existing meldshaping class
7|+3|+2|+2|+5|Soul Binding +7, Spirit Link|+1 level of existing meldshaping class
8|+4|+2|+2|+6|Soul Binding +8, Chakra bind (brow, shoulders)|+1 level of existing meldshaping class
9|+4|+3|+3|+6|Soul Binding +9|+1 level of existing meldshaping class
10|+5|+3|+3|+7|Soul Binding +10, Soul Mastery|+1 level of existing meldshaping class[/TABLE]

Class Skills (4+Int modifier per level): Bluff, Concentration, Craft, Diplomacy, Decipher Script, Knowledge (arcana), Knowledge (planes), Knowledge (religion), Profession, Spellcraft

Meldshaping: At each Soul Sharer level, you increase your meldshaper level, the number of soulmelds you can shape, the number of chakra binds you can create, and your essentia pool as if you had gained a level in a meldshaping class to which you belonged prior to gaining the Soul Sharer level. You do not, however, gain any other abilities of that class, such as new tiers of chakra binds. If you had more than one meldshaping class before becoming a Soul Sharer, you must decide to which class to add each level for the purpose of determining your essentia pool, meldshaper level, and the number of soulmelds and chakra binds available.

Bonus Feat: At 1st level, a Soul Sharer gains Cerulean Fortitude as a bonus feat even if he doesn't meet the prerequisites. If the character already possesses Cerulean Fortitude, he may select another Incarnum feat or a feat from the list of Binder bonus feats (ToM 11).

Amplify Spirit: Soul Sharers are daring individuals who promise a larger portion of their soul's energy to vestiges when they make pacts. This augmented offer is in fact an investment of the Soul Sharer's essentia, and it encourages the enigmatic beings to share a greater amount of their own spiritual power in return. A Soul Sharer who is bound to at least one vestige gains 2 bonus essentia for the duration of the pact.

Soul Binding Bonus: At each Soul Sharer level, your soul binding ability improves as if you had also gained a level in the binder class. Your Soul Sharer levels and binder levels stack for the purpose of determining your bonus on binding checks, the effectivenes of your vestige-granted abilities, your ability to bind higher-level vestiges, and the number of vestiges you can bind. You do not, however, gain any other benefit a binder would have gained.

Chakra Binds: Beginning at 2nd level, you can bind your soulmelds or magic items to your feet and hands chakras, in addition to any other chakras you have available. When you attain 6th level, your arms chakra becomes available for chakra binds, and at 8th level your brow and shoulders chakras become available for chakra binds.

Soulshield: At 4th level, a Soul Sharer's intimate knowledge of souls both foreign and familiar lends him a great degree of strength. By wrapping the energy of incarnum around himself as he creates a pact, the Soul Sharer can convince a vestige to provide him with tremendous strength of mind and body. This ability is identical to the Mettle ability of the Hexblade class (CWar 7).

Spirit Link: As the Soul Sharer continues to grow in power, he learns new methods of coaxing power from vestiges with his own soul. When a Soul Sharer of 7th level or higher forms a pact, he may invest 2 or more points of essentia in the pact. If he does, he may select one additional Pact Augmentation from the list of Pact Augmentations (ToM 11). In addition, the Soul Sharer may add the following two abilities to that list:

A. Choose a supernatural ability of the vestige with whom you are making a pact that can only be activated every 5 rounds. For every 2 points of essentia you invest, you may activate that ability one round sooner than normal.

B. For every 2 points of essentia you invest, you gain a +1 enhancement bonus to your binder level for all effects and abilities related to the vestige with whom you are making the pact.

A Soul Sharer may only invest as much essentia in a pact as his character level would allow (MoI 19). Furthermore, he may only invest essentia in each pact once, allowing him to gain no more pact augmentations in this way than the number of pacts he is capable of forming.

Soul Mastery: At 10th level, a Soul Sharer learns how to blur the line between his own soul and those of foreign beings. Once per 24 hours, a Soul Sharer of the appropriate level may choose to gain the ability to bind one additional vestige beyond what he could normally form pacts with. If he does, he loses the ability to bind one soulmeld to a chakra for the same duration. Alternatively, the Soul Sharer may choose to gain the ability to bind an additional soulmeld to a chakra. If he does, he loses the ability to form one pact for the same duration.

TaintedLight
2010-07-12, 12:39 AM
18 views and no comments? I know it's not as powerful or weird as the Midnight Occultist, but surely someone has something to say about it?

Temotei
2010-07-12, 12:44 AM
18 views and no comments? I know it's not as powerful or weird as the Midnight Occultist, but surely someone has something to say about it?

Be patient. Sometimes, people just drop in to check it out and decide they don't want to post. I'd say to wait until about one hundred views and until your homebrew has fallen back a page or two before you protest. :smalltongue:

Anyway, I might have to critique this.

Kuma Kode
2010-07-12, 12:45 AM
I can't really help, since I can't even remember what meldshaping is off the top of my head, but I've seen threads get over 200 views with no comments. It simply means people have nothing to add. The problem is, you can't tell if it's because everything thinks it sucks or if it's perfect the way it is. :smallsmile:

It seems to be a pretty decent blending of binder and whatever does meldshaping, though, so I think it's simply that people view it and think it's okay, so they don't have anything to add.

TaintedLight
2010-07-12, 12:52 AM
I can't really help, since I can't even remember what meldshaping is off the top of my head, but I've seen threads get over 200 views with no comments. It simply means people have nothing to add. The problem is, you can't tell if it's because everything thinks it sucks or if it's perfect the way it is. :smallsmile:

It seems to be a pretty decent blending of binder and whatever does meldshaping, though, so I think it's simply that people view it and think it's okay, so they don't have anything to add.

I guess I was just eager to see what people thought of it. After all, any feedback is good feedback, even if it's just to give the stamp of approval.

jiriku
2010-07-12, 12:55 AM
Me, I can tell that you're theurging binder and something to do with incarnum, but those are both pretty obscure systems. I've skimmed the binder once, and don't feel qualified to comment on it, and I know nothing about incarnum apart from what I've picked up on this forum. I can't even tell how many caster-levels-equivalents you're giving up in each discipline to enter...shrug. Maybe it's good. I can't tell.

Sereg
2010-07-12, 09:29 AM
I am also a fan of variant systems and dual progression, but dual progression classes are usually a bit on the weak side. Therefore, you may not need to lose any meldshaping levels. However, I'm not good with balance. As for the low number of responses, some people, like myself, like to quickly look and then com back after they've thought about what they've seen for a while.

EDIT: By the way, you might want to look at the Midnight Occultist for another example of a binder/meldshaper dual proggresion class.

zagan
2010-07-12, 02:07 PM
I was complening of not getting any response myself just now so i'll trow a PEACH your way.

I'm a big fan of variant systems like ToB, pact magic, incarnum, mysteries and the like, so it was really just a matter of time until I was inspired enough to write this up. The goal wasn't to produce a really powerful class, but rather to blend the two systems in a way that just feels natural. Please let me know what you think!

Soul Sharer

The power of souls is one of the forces that drives the Great Wheel of the multiverse. Powerful entities who were once spirits of great outsiders, mortals, and beasts unknown surface from time to time as the mysterious beings called vestiges, and the power of raw souls, sometimes called incarnum, suffuses existence with the essence of all creatures; living, dead, undead, or otherwise. The Soul Sharer has knowledge of both vestiges and incarnum and learns to offer up a portion of his own soul's energy to vestiges when he makes pacts above and beyond what binders traditionally dare to promise these mysterious entities.

Simple but nice fluff.

Entry Requirements:
Skills: Knowledge (the planes) or Knowledge (religion) 8 ranks, Knowledge (arcana) 8 ranks
Feats: Any Incarnum feat, Expel Vestige
Special: Pact Augmentation class feature
Meldshaping: Meldshaping level 3rd

Most likely entry binder2/Incarnate 3 or Totemist 3.

Why expel vestige ?

Hit Die: d6

Of the class that can enter only incarnate have d6 a d8 could be better.

-snip-

BAB and saves.

Again only incarnate have half bab but its a theurge class so that can be excused but all class that can enter have good fort save so you could probably give good fort and will.

Class Skills (4+Int modifier per level): Bluff, Concentration, Craft, Diplomacy, Decipher Script, Knowledge (arcana), Knowledge (planes), Knowledge (religion), Profession, Spellcraft

Nice list.

Meldshaping: At each Soul Sharer level except 1st, you increase your meldshaper level, the number of soulmelds you can shape, the number of chakra binds you can create, and your essentia pool as if you had gained a level in a meldshaping class to which you belonged prior to gaining the Soul Sharer level. You do not, however, gain any other abilities of that class, such as new tiers of chakra binds. If you had more than one meldshaping class before becoming a Soul Sharer, you must decide to which class to add each level for the purpose of determining your essentia pool, meldshaper level, and the number of soulmelds and chakra binds available.

Losing a level is not necessary you already lost at least 2 just to enter.

Bonus Feat: At 1st level, a Soul Sharer gains Cerulean Fortitude as a bonus feat even if he doesn't meet the prerequisites. If the character already possesses Cerulean Fortitude, he may select another Incarnum feat or a feat from the list of Binder bonus feats (ToM 11).

Any reason why cerulean fortitude ?

Amplify Spirit: Soul Sharers are daring individuals who promise a larger portion of their soul's energy to vestiges when they make pacts. This augmented offer is in fact an investment of the Soul Sharer's essentia, and it encourages the enigmatic beings to share a greater amount of their own spiritual power in return. A Soul Sharer who is bound to at least one vestige gains 2 bonus essentia for the duration of the pact.

The ability is fine but the fluff doesn't fit, when reading it I get the feeling that I would sacrifice essentia for the day and in exchange I would gain an ability from the vestige. But I just gain essentia.

Soul Binding Bonus: At each Soul Sharer level except 1st, your soul binding ability improves as if you had also gained a level in the binder class. Your Soul Sharer levels and binder levels stack for the purpose of determining your bonus on binding checks, the effectivenes of your vestige-granted abilities, your ability to bind higher-level vestiges, and the number of vestiges you can bind. You do not, however, gain any other benefit a binder would have gained.

Sam thing you already lost 3 level of binding.

Chakra Binds: Beginning at 2nd level, you can bind your soulmelds or magic items to your feet and hands chakras, in addition to any other chakras you have available. When you attain 6th level, your arms chakra becomes available for chakra binds, and at 8th level your brow and shoulders chakras become available for chakra binds.

You should also give the crown chakra at 2 as I said Totemist could enter.
At 6 you could give arm, brow and shoulder it's already two level later than normal incarnate or totemist.
At 8 nothing but at 10 perhaps throat or waist ?

Soulshield: At 4th level, a Soul Sharer's intimate knowledge of souls both foreign and familiar lends him a great degree of strength. By wrapping the energy of incarnum around himself as he creates a pact, the Soul Sharer can convince a vestige to provide him with tremendous strength of mind and body. This ability is identical to the Mettle ability of the Hexblade class (CWar 7).

Mettle is nice.

Spirit Link: As the Soul Sharer continues to grow in power, he learns new methods of coaxing power from vestiges with his own soul. When a Soul Sharer of 7th level or higher forms a pact, he may invest 2 or more points of essentia in the pact. If he does, he may select one additional Pact Augmentation from the list of Pact Augmentations (ToM 11). In addition, the Soul Sharer may add the following two abilities to that list:

A. Choose a supernatural ability of the vestige with whom you are making a pact that can only be activated every 5 rounds. For every 2 points of essentia you invest, you may activate that ability one round sooner than normal.

B. For every 2 points of essentia you invest, you gain a +1 enhancement bonus to your binder level for all effects and abilities related to the vestige with whom you are making the pact.

A Soul Sharer may only invest as much essentia in a pact as his character level would allow (MoI 19). Furthermore, he may only invest essentia in each pact once, allowing him to gain no more pact augmentations in this way than the number of pacts he is capable of forming.

Can you remove the essentia or is it "locked" into the pact ? Otherwise a fine ability.

Soul Mastery: At 10th level, a Soul Sharer learns how to blur the line between his own soul and those of foreign beings. Once per 24 hours, a Soul Sharer of the appropriate level may choose to gain the ability to bind one additional vestige beyond what he could normally form pacts with. If he does, he loses the ability to bind one soulmeld to a chakra for the same duration. Alternatively, the Soul Sharer may choose to gain the ability to bind an additional soulmeld to a chakra. If he does, he loses the ability to form one pact for the same duration.

I really like this one, open lot of possibility.

Conclusions Class is a little bland but still nice and you go a different direction than Dragonwraith midnight occultist.
Good work.

TaintedLight
2010-07-12, 10:56 PM
I was complening of not getting any response myself just now so i'll trow a PEACH your way.

1. Simple but nice fluff.

2. Most likely entry binder2/Incarnate 3 or Totemist 3.

3. Why expel vestige ?

4. Of the class that can enter only incarnate have d6 a d8 could be better.

5. Again only incarnate have half bab but its a theurge class so that can be excused but all class that can enter have good fort save so you could probably give good fort and will.

6. Nice list.

7. Losing a level is not necessary you already lost at least 2 just to enter.

8. Any reason why cerulean fortitude ?

9. The ability is fine but the fluff doesn't fit, when reading it I get the feeling that I would sacrifice essentia for the day and in exchange I would gain an ability from the vestige. But I just gain essentia.

10. Sam thing you already lost 3 level of binding.

11. You should also give the crown chakra at 2 as I said Totemist could enter. At 6 you could give arm, brow and shoulder it's already two level later than normal incarnate or totemist. At 8 nothing but at 10 perhaps throat or waist ?

12. Mettle is nice.

13. Can you remove the essentia or is it "locked" into the pact ? Otherwise a fine ability.

14. I really like this one, open lot of possibility.

Conclusions Class is a little bland but still nice and you go a different direction than Dragonwraith midnight occultist.
Good work.

First, thanks for the PEACH. Now to address your points:

1. The goal was to keep it simple and flexible, so it looks like that came across.

2. I did design it with the incarnate in mind, it's true.

3. No particular reason, but when I make binders I tend to take it. It feels like a very thematically appropriate and representative feat for what binders do, but it could very well be any other binder feat.

4. On the subject of chassis, I am of the opinion that a class that advances two forms of class features/spellcasting should probably have a weakish chassis to compensate for the doubled rate of power gain. It's true that he can only be doing one or the other at a given moment, but that flexibility is worth a lot. Plus, since so many binder abilities and incarnum abilities are passive boosts, they work nicely together anyways. That said, I don't suppose it could hurt to bump the HD to a d8.

5. Again, point 4. This time I'm inclined to leave it where it is though because you can do scary things with attacks as a binder and as an incarnate. Moreso as both.

6. 2 + Int skills makes everyone sad.

7. Upon review, agreed. I'll make it level-per-level.

8. Mostly to compensate for the weak fort save progression. It is not thematically central or particularly evocative of the feel of the class though, so I suppose this could just be an incarnum feat or a binder bonus feat.

9. Yeah, I want to keep the ability as it is but I suppose the fluff works the other way around. Revising that is easy.

10. Like 7.

11. I'm not good with deciding when and which chakras to do this with seeing as this is my first incarnum homebrew class. I will have to mull that over more.

12. Yes. Yes it is.

13. I would say the essentia is locked in. You promised the vestige that portion of soul energy, so that's part of the deal you made. Alternatively, you could just lose the pact augmentations if you decide to revoke that essentia. I would make it such that you lose that pact if you do seeing as you just cheated the vestige out of what was promised. Next time you summon that one you get the normal -10 penalty.

14. I was originally afraid that everyone would go for an extra vestige over a bind, but apparently it works out.

Again, thanks for the critique :).