PDA

View Full Version : Calling All Munchkins!

GreatWyrmGold
2010-07-12, 04:07 PM
My DM has told me a few things about the upcoming game.
I am the only player, but will be switching between the four party members.
It's 1st level.
It's the Tomb of Horrors.
He asked me for munchkined characters. Seriously.

I suck at munchkining. As such, I am asking for help with creating the characters.
EDIT: Please tell me where the heck this stuff comes from.

Exthalion
2010-07-12, 04:10 PM
Sun Elf, Elven Generalist, Collegiate Wizard, Spellcasting Prodegy (Int)

Huge number of spells known, +2 int, int counted as 2 higher for purpose of bonus spells, extra spell slot of highest level known.

GreatWyrmGold
2010-07-12, 04:12 PM

Huge number of spells known, +2 int, int counted as 2 higher for purpose of bonus spells, extra spell slot of highest level known.

Should I have mentioned, "Tell me where the heck this stuff is."?

subject42
2010-07-12, 04:15 PM
Tomb of horrors at 1st level?

You are going to die.

So hard.

Please do a campaign log. I want to see the results of your misadventures.

We did it at 8th level and lost a character in the first monster encounter due to one full attack. Even with our sacks of infinite donkeys it was an industrial murder factory.

GreatWyrmGold
2010-07-12, 04:17 PM
Tomb of horrors at 1st level?

You are going to die.

So hard.

Please do a campaign log. I want to see the results of your misadventures.

We did it at 8th level and lost a character in the first monster encounter due to one full attack. Even with our sacks of infinite donkeys it was an industrial murder factory.

Alright, I will.
Wait, sacks of infinite donkeys?!?

subject42
2010-07-12, 04:23 PM
Alright, I will.
Wait, sacks of infinite donkeys?!?

It's an item in the MiC called the Survival Pouch that has a daily number of charges that can be expended for useful items. Among other things, you can pull Mules out of it.

GreatWyrmGold
2010-07-12, 04:27 PM
It's an item in the MiC called the Survival Pouch that has a daily number of charges that can be expended for useful items. Among other things, you can pull Mules out of it.

But how can it be infinite?
Also, I hope this thread isn't getting derailed.

Celebrochan
2010-07-12, 04:27 PM
In the tome of horrors.... you will want a monk, two rogues and a cleric...

GreatWyrmGold
2010-07-12, 04:29 PM

Are you serious? On the internet, it's hard to tell.

Prodan
2010-07-12, 04:30 PM
My DM has told me a few things about the upcoming game.
I am the only player, but will be switching between the four party members.
It's 1st level.
It's the Tomb of Horrors.
He asked me for munchkined characters. Seriously.

... Good luck.

GreatWyrmGold
2010-07-12, 04:33 PM
... Good luck.

Thanks. [10 character rule]

Boci
2010-07-12, 04:35 PM
Partial Pin-Pun? Seriously, boost all states to 100 or something, give some bonus abilities, and you should be set.

GreatWyrmGold
2010-07-12, 04:36 PM
Partial Pin-Pun? Seriously, boost all states to 100 or something, give some bonus abilities, and you should be set.

I've read Pun-Pun; it A.) requires a +1 LA template and B.) only works at 4th level.

Coplantor
2010-07-12, 04:40 PM
I've read Pun-Pun; it A.) requires a +1 LA template and B.) only works at 4th level.

Actually, they found a way to do it at first level with no LA

Tavar
2010-07-12, 04:40 PM
Not quite. There's a version that can get started at level 1.

GreatWyrmGold
2010-07-12, 04:43 PM
Actually, they found a way to do it at first level with no LA

How? Boy, do I run into the 10-character rule.

ScionoftheVoid
2010-07-12, 04:44 PM

It involves a DC 21 Knowledge: Religion check, Pazuzu, and can be done with any class or race that is not within one step of Chaotic Evil (though Paladin works best for class and a Kobold is traditional). Just to provide more detail on that.

I don't think I can help in any other way though, sorry.

Kylarra
2010-07-12, 04:44 PM
Kobold Paladin.
Pazuzu pazuzu pazuzu

Boci
2010-07-12, 04:45 PM
How? Boy, do I run into the 10-character rule.

Boost your knowledge planes modifier enough to learn that pazuzu grants wishes, then say his name three times and be any alignment other than CE, preferably a paladin. Start infinite wish chain.

nedz
2010-07-12, 04:46 PM

That sounds like a scary book :smallbiggrin:

GreatWyrmGold
2010-07-12, 04:47 PM
Boost your knowledge planes modifier enough to learn that pazuzu grants wishes, then say his name three times and be any alignment other than CE, preferably a paladin. Start infinite wish chain.

Thanks...except, how the infinite wish chain?

Thrice Dead Cat
2010-07-12, 04:47 PM
Go Battle Stalwart Sorcerer 1 (One of these is in Complete Mage, the other I want to say the SRD/Unearthed Arcana) Whitedragonspawn (Dragonlance Campaign Setting) Loredrake (Dragons of Eberron) Spell-hoarding Dragon Psychosis (Dragon 313, I want to say) Dragonwrought (Races of the Dragon) Kobold.

All your sorcerer casting turns into wizard casting. You have spells as a 4th level wizard. Go nuts.

Keld Denar
2010-07-12, 04:48 PM
Is the monk there so you'll have someone expendable that you can push into suspected traps and gargoyle mouthes?

GreatWyrmGold
2010-07-12, 04:48 PM
Go Battle Stalwart Sorcerer 1 (One of these is in Complete Mage, the other I want to say the SRD/Unearthed Arcana) Whitedragonspawn (Dragonlance Campaign Setting) Loredrake (Dragons of Eberron) Spell-hoarding Dragon Psychosis (Dragon 313, I want to say) Dragonwrought (Races of the Dragon) Kobold.

All your sorcerer casting turns into wizard casting. You have spells as a 4th level wizard. Go nuts.

If only I had access to half of those sources...:frown:

Boci
2010-07-12, 04:50 PM
If only I had access to half of those sources...:frown:

Try crystalkeep.com. The base classes have been removed, but it still have a good source of templates and races. Lore drake just gives you a +2 to caster level and makes your casting int based I believe.

Thrice Dead Cat
2010-07-12, 04:54 PM
Try crystalkeep.com. The base classes have been removed, but it still have a good source of templates and races. Lore drake just gives you a +2 to caster level and makes your casting int based I believe.

Spell-hoarding is the one that switches it to wizard (and therefore Int-based) casting.

This is where I got most of the info. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8544775#post8544775)

ScionoftheVoid
2010-07-12, 04:55 PM

In case this isn't clear enough:

1. Ask for a Candle of Invocation keyed to the alignment Lawful Evil.

2. Use it for its Gate function and call an Efreeti. Make it grant you its Wishes, asking for two things of your choice and another Candle of Invocation.

3. Go to 2.

Since both of the Wishes are used as Spell-Like Abilities they cost no XP, and there is therefore no limit to the value of a magic item made using the Wish. You can in fact use one of these Wishes for a Ring of Infinite Wishes (which is not a standard available item, and so cannot be counted on as much) or for a casting of Simulacrum (with no components required because the Wish is an SLA) to give you a perfectly obidient Efreeti. Not as powerful as a normal one, but still able to use Wish (HD halving doesn't remove any abilities the creature has). Then use Wishes from that for more Simulacra and you get an ever increasing number of Wishes and expendable troops.

EDIT: Hey, I managed to start this explanation before it was actually requested and finish it only shortly afterwards.

EDIT 2: I prefer Factotum'd. My Wis is appalling and I need every Knoledge in class for all the useless information I carry around.

Draz74
2010-07-12, 04:57 PM
Thanks...except, how the infinite wish chain?

Wish for a Candle of Invocation, use it to Gate an Efreeti, demand three wishes from the Efreeti.

EDIT: Swordsage'd.

pseudodragon
2010-07-12, 05:02 PM
greatwyrm, remember that if you make pun-pun the dm will say rocks fall, pun-pun dies

Boci
2010-07-12, 05:03 PM
greatwyrm, remember that if you make pun-pun the dm will say rocks fall, pun-pun dies

That's why i reccomended partial pun-pun. Its not as if he can succeed any other way.

GreatWyrmGold
2010-07-12, 05:05 PM

Thanks.

In case this isn't clear enough:

1. Ask for a Candle of Invocation keyed to the alignment Lawful Evil.

2. Use it for its Gate function and call an Efreeti. Make it grant you its Wishes, asking for two things of your choice and another Candle of Invocation.

3. Go to 2.

Since both of the Wishes are used as Spell-Like Abilities they cost no XP, and there is therefore no limit to the value of a magic item made using the Wish. You can in fact use one of these Wishes for a Ring of Infinite Wishes (which is not a standard available item, and so cannot be counted on as much) or for a casting of Simulacrum (with no components required because the Wish is an SLA) to give you a perfectly obidient Efreeti. Not as powerful as a normal one, but still able to use Wish (HD halving doesn't remove any abilities the creature has). Then use Wishes from that for more Simulacra and you get an ever increasing number of Wishes and expendable troops.
[and others]

Thanks! (again.)

Meepo is the kobold's name, not Pun-Pun. Well, now.
Also, does anyone else get that?

EDIT:

That's why i reccomended partial pun-pun. Its not as if he can succeed any other way.
Ha ha...I still need a few more characters.

dgnslyr
2010-07-12, 05:09 PM

Fire elf is probably a better choice, because it drops cha instead of str, and the elven con loss can be negated by picking up the Arctic template, for +2 con and -2 cha. You'll be lowering cha by a donkey-load, but cha is usually a dump stat anyway, especially for a wizard, and there won't be too many social challenges in the Tomb of Horrors. Arctic Fire Elf does raise some interesting backstory questions. Arctic template can be found on crystalkeep, under 3.0.

The Glyphstone
2010-07-12, 05:14 PM
Fire elf is probably a better choice, because it drops cha instead of str, and the elven con loss can be negated by picking up the Arctic template, for +2 con and -2 cha. You'll be lowering cha by a donkey-load, but cha is usually a dump stat anyway, especially for a wizard, and there won't be too many social challenges in the Tomb of Horrors. Arctic Fire Elf does raise some interesting backstory questions. Arctic template can be found on crystalkeep, under 3.0.

Say you're from the Faerun version of Iceland?

SurlySeraph
2010-07-12, 05:59 PM
Personally, I'd get set up for early entry tricks since you'll be getting enough XP to level up quite quickly. Start with a Human Wizard with Earth Sense, Heighten Spell, Sanctum Spell, and Earth Spell. Go into Rainbow Servant if you survive to 2nd level. More suggestions here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137447)

This thread on 1st-level optimization (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156864) will also be helpful to you.

You should also take inspiration from this post (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7097263&postcount=38) on Handle Animal optimization. One trick I like is to start with a wizard and sell your spellbook (remember, it's worth 100 gp per page, you can sell it for half that, and you have 1 page per 1st-level spell and 1 page per 2 0th-level spells) to buy a pack of attack dogs.

dextercorvia
2010-07-12, 06:28 PM
You'll be lowering cha by a donkey-load, but cha is usually a dump stat anyway, especially for a wizard, and there won't be too many social challenges in the Tomb of Horrors.

I would expect Ghosts with Corrupting Gaze, however. Ouch.

Lhurgyof
2010-07-12, 08:07 PM
Tomb of horrors... Level 1? Does the DM hate you that much? You WONT be able to finish the final encounter without supreme optimization... Much less make it past the first door.

I would say to votekick him as a DM.

Tshern
2010-07-13, 12:36 AM
The final encounter? The first one will effortlessly decimate a non-TO 1st level party.