PDA

View Full Version : March of the Maple Armies: Canada Conquers the World: Let's Play Hearts of Iron 2

Gamerlord
2010-07-12, 04:51 PM
So. Hearts of iron 2. World war II strategy game. 175 nations, 5 different starting years, not including the doomsday one cause it isn't WW II. You pick.

All the nations? Even the small unimportant ones?
Yep.
What about vichy france? And Ehtopia?
You play those in the eras they existed in.
What version are you going to play?
The complete version, which increases the end date from 1947 to 1964 or something like that. Also adds some extra features, like espionage, I will set it so democracies can declare war.

So, you pick the nation and era (You can play pretty much any nation in existence during WW II or the 3 years before it)

The eras are as follows:

There is a WW III 1945 era, but I don't want to start in that, because it IS NOT WORLD WAR II DARN IT.

Also, this won't be an authoritarian let's play, you the readers get to make some choices.

NecroticPunch
2010-07-12, 05:40 PM
Can you be Luxemberg?!

Gamerlord
2010-07-12, 05:41 PM
Can you be Luxemberg?!

Yep, a small ,one region, "Nation" that is practically just a detour for any neighboring nations.

NecroticPunch
2010-07-12, 06:09 PM
Can you play as the Vatican?

Gamerlord
2010-07-12, 06:16 PM
Can you play as the Vatican?

They aren't in the game, apparently the developers considered them not even a city-state.

But I am sure there is some sort of mod the allows it, knowing the community.

doliest
2010-07-12, 06:17 PM
Soviet Russia, 1936. Let's see if you are truly made of steel, comrade! :smallamused:

NecroticPunch
2010-07-12, 06:26 PM
I want to see you play as the...Lords of Paaaain, Soviet Russia!

Gamerlord
2010-07-12, 07:02 PM
So far...
Soviet union,1936:2

Voting will continue until Wednesday 5:00 PM EST.

SolkaTruesilver
2010-07-12, 10:08 PM
Play Canada. Your role is to achieve Canada's manifest destiny: conquer the Americas, starting by the U. S.

Gralamin
2010-07-12, 10:47 PM
Play Canada. Your role is to achieve Canada's manifest destiny: conquer the Americas, starting by the U. S.

As a Canadian, I fully support this motion.

Cogwheel
2010-07-12, 10:58 PM
Not picky as far as time period goes, but I vote for one country that's possibly smaller than Luxemberg (can't be asked to check): Liechtenstein.

Failing that, Monaco if it's available. I'd vote Transylvania, but I don't think it was independent at any stage :smalltongue:

Klose_the_Sith
2010-07-13, 02:53 AM

+1

For the Emperor of Canada!

You guys have an Emperor, right? Cause 'Emperor of Canada' would be the best job-title ever ...

SlyGuyMcFly
2010-07-13, 03:34 AM

I approve of this notion.

Cogwheel
2010-07-13, 04:00 AM
+1

For the Emperor of Canada!

You guys have an Emperor, right? Cause 'Emperor of Canada' would be the best job-title ever ...

Not actually Canada, but I feel compelled to link this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emperor_Norton).

SolkaTruesilver
2010-07-13, 09:00 AM
You have to remember something very interesting.

The official name of Canada was, until the 50's, "The Dominion of Canada".

So we will conquer the world U.S. under the title of "Dominion of Canada", not "Empire of Canada".

Ergo, we do not have an Emperor, we have an Overlord.

All hail Gamelord, Overlord of the Dominion!

(who knew Canada was that badass?)

Klose_the_Sith
2010-07-13, 09:06 AM
You have to remember something very interesting.

The official name of Canada was, until the 50's, "The Dominion of Canada".

So we will conquer the world U.S. under the title of "Dominion of Canada", not "Empire of Canada".

Ergo, we do not have an Emperor, we have an Overlord.

All hail Gamelord, Overlord of the Dominion!

(who knew Canada was that badass?)

Well I'll be, Overlord of Canada is indeed a more-badass job title.

Hail the Dominion of Canada! Forward the Maple Legions! (That's what the troops are called, right? :smalltongue:)

Talkkno
2010-07-13, 09:12 AM
Just to note, the small countries are oftwise really boring to play, since your waiting around most the time. Unless your playing something like Communist China or Afghanistan.
I'm going to throw in my hat for Republican Spain, gets you right into the action, options to join Comintern or the Allies, and decent amount of IC for a minor power, and mountains as a buffer in case France gets overrun.

SolkaTruesilver
2010-07-13, 09:27 AM
Well I'll be, Overlord of Canada is indeed a more-badass job title.

Hail the Dominion of Canada! Forward the Maple Legions! (That's what the troops are called, right? :smalltongue:)

Our elites troopers were called Wolverines.

I think that is all you have to know.

Oh, and is Canada considered a "small country" in HoI?

Canada had the 3rd biggest fleet in the world at the end of WW2. How can it be considered "Small?" We consisted of 1/5th of the Operation Overlord's manpower.

Cogwheel
2010-07-13, 09:30 AM
Canada had the 3rd biggest fleet in the world at the end of WW2. How can it be considered "Small?" We consisted of 1/5th of the Operation Overlord's manpower.

Well, obviously. Operation Overlord would, you know, require a nation with an overlord.

Would that be a dominion until the 1850s? Just checking.

ZeroNumerous
2010-07-13, 09:44 AM

The airforce, not the navy, won WWII.

Plus, I believe 1/5th is not quite accurate as Sword was a tiny beachhead compared to Utah or Omaha. On top of that, the largest concentration of British ground forces landed on Sword with Canada. In fact, Sword's beachhead still allowed for the creation of the Falaise pocket, and Canadian ground forces were in capable of overcoming a scant 50,000~ german soldiers and varied elements of the Panzer divisions without assistance. So, while 1/5th of the beachheads is accurate, 1/5th of the manpower of Operation Overlord is probably an exaggeration.

SolkaTruesilver
2010-07-13, 09:46 AM
The airforce, not the navy, won WWII.

Plus, I believe 1/5th is not quite accurate as Sword was a tiny beachhead compared to Utah or Omaha. On top of that, the largest concentration of British ground forces landed on Sword with Canada. In fact, Sword's beachhead still allowed for the creation of the Falaise pocket, and Canadian ground forces were in capable of overcoming a scant 50,000~ german soldiers and varied elements of the Panzer divisions without assistance. So, while 1/5th of the beachheads is accurate, 1/5th of the manpower of Operation Overlord is probably an exaggeration.

Fun fact: Scotty's actor was part of that landing force. This is why we won :smallcool:

How can you lose with Scotty ony our side?

Okay, I've been called out. But still, Canadian had a higher than average efficiency rate in their engagement against the Germans compared to most other forces in this theater.

Hell, some regiments surrendered when they learned they were facing Canadians. What happened to our image of bloodthirsty shocktroopers? :smallfrown:

Talkkno
2010-07-13, 10:02 AM
The problem with Canada at least in the 1936 scenario is that it has no navy to speak of, few starting troops, and only two research slots....so theres going to be alot of waiting if you start at 1936 at least to build anything substantial.

SolkaTruesilver
2010-07-13, 10:13 AM
The problem with Canada at least in the 1936 scenario is that it has no navy to speak of, few starting troops, and only two research slots....so theres going to be alot of waiting if you start at 1936 at least to build anything substantial.

Who said the game was going to be easy?

Can't you build up diplomacy in the meanwhile maybe...? :smallredface:

Klose_the_Sith
2010-07-13, 11:10 AM
Our elites troopers were called Wolverines.

I think that is all you have to know.

Oh, I already knew about your Wolverines.

Then again, Aussie grunts go through at least the same training as Navy SEALs - so maybe we stole your reputation?

(Seriously, Aussie troops are insane)

SolkaTruesilver
2010-07-14, 07:45 AM
So, Gamelord, still wanna make a better, Canadian World? :smallbiggrin:

Gamerlord
2010-07-14, 08:02 AM
So, Gamelord, still wanna make a better, Canadian World? :smallbiggrin:

Canada seems to be leading in the votes, so even though I am a yankee, it appears the Overlord of the Dominion is going to go on the march towards world domination.

SolkaTruesilver
2010-07-14, 08:05 AM
Canada seems to be leading in the votes, so even though I am a yankee, it appears the Overlord of the Dominion is going to go on the march towards world domination.

And the fandom rejoiced! (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AndTheFandomRejoiced)

Klose_the_Sith
2010-07-14, 08:26 AM
By the will of the Overlord, we shall find victory! :smallbiggrin:

Lord Loss
2010-07-14, 09:36 AM
I vote for Canada as well (unless voting is closed).

Gamerlord
2010-07-14, 03:46 PM
Voting would close in 14 minutes, but it is obvious that unless someone pulls a last-minute-vote-zerg-swarm, canada is going to win.

SolkaTruesilver
2010-07-14, 04:22 PM
Voting would close in 14 minutes, but it is obvious that unless someone pulls a last-minute-vote-zerg-swarm, canada is going to win.

Like the Hockey Gold Medal? :smallwink:

Ohhh... burned! :smallbiggrin:

Oh my god.. it means that in this reality, Hockey will become the World's Global Sport?!?!?! :smalleek:

doliest
2010-07-14, 04:28 PM
Canada physically can't succeed in World Domination, so I doubt it. :smallbiggrin:

Klose_the_Sith
2010-07-14, 05:11 PM

Ohhh... burned! :smallbiggrin:

Oh my god.. it means that in this reality, Hockey will become the World's Global Sport?!?!?! :smalleek:

How on earth does one adopt 'O Canada' into a global anthem? :smallconfused:

Gamerlord
2010-07-14, 06:00 PM
The Rise of the Canadian Overlords
Well, this was unexpected, I honestly expected my coup to fail horribly, but look at me now! The new Overlord of the Canadian Dominion.

http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/4066/canada01.jpg
Couldn't have picked a worse job.

http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/3299/canada02.jpg
I got the new tech teams to put their noses to the grindstones, one of the few things I have managed to reform from the now gone head of state.

http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/309/canada03.jpg

I figured I might as well crack open the intel files, which from the look of it had not been opened for some time. Just as I am about to order the awakening of our sleeper agents, my secretary drops off a pleasant little surprise from the UK. I think those sleeper agents can sleep for a bit more.

http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/5060/canada04.jpg
Now comes the really nasty part of me looking at our situation. This is our only land regiment. ONE.REGIMENT. WE ALSO HAVE NO.AIR.FORCE. And only 8 ships. We only have enough industrial capacity to start recruiting one regiment, I expect to overview the last head of state's policies on production.

http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/8748/canada05.jpg
Well isn't everyone in a giving mood today?
Anyway, I have a lot to reform, so I best get to work!
-TEH OVERLORD!!!!!!!!!

SolkaTruesilver
2010-07-14, 07:40 PM
Awesome Canadian Stuff

:smallamused:

First of all, everybody sings together:

O Canada!
Our home and native land!
True patriot love in all thy sons command.

With glowing hearts we see thee rise,
The True North strong and free!

From far and wide,
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.

God keep our land glorious and free!

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTOm7gofXnQ)

Good. Next week, we'll sing it in French.

Next: I just have this to say. It seems we already started using our Secret Weapon: Everybody likes us without really knowing why.

Just like in reality.. hehe.. :smallamused:

Klose_the_Sith
2010-07-14, 08:00 PM
Next: I just have this to say. It seems we already started using our Secret Weapon: Everybody likes us without really knowing why.

Hurray for Canadian pleasantries, deadlier than a thousand bullets! :smallwink:

doliest
2010-07-14, 09:20 PM
Well, I'd hoped for Soviets, but let it never be said that I was disloyal.

Turning in application for a position as either Military advisor or General.

Arcanoi
2010-07-14, 09:41 PM

Orly? I thought it was "Nobody sees us as a threat. Knowing precisely why."

Just like in reality... bwahahaha...
:smalltongue:

SolkaTruesilver
2010-07-15, 08:56 AM
Orly? I thought it was "Nobody sees us as a threat. Knowing precisely why."

Just like in reality... bwahahaha...

*They keep thinking that.

Good.*

Oh, Supreme Overlord. Do you ask for any tips? Do you wish to share with us the strategy you will be designing?

What is the first objective for the Dominion? Take over South Africa maybe? The Carrabeans? Cuba?

SuperMuldoon
2010-07-15, 08:57 AM
Dang, missed this before I could vote...not that it would have changed anything anyway :smalltongue:

Anyways, go Canada etc. etc....

Whats our plan besides trying to tech up as much as possible?

SolkaTruesilver
2010-07-15, 03:19 PM
Until the Overlord keeps going toward out Manifest Destiny, I'd like to know what you people think about the differences between HoI 2 and 3.

If I want to pick up such game (being a big fan of EU3), should I go for the 3?

I just read an awesome post in the Paradox Forum about Canada liberating England from a German invasion of 150,000 men :smallbiggrin:

Gamerlord
2010-07-15, 03:51 PM
*They keep thinking that.

Good.*

Oh, Supreme Overlord. Do you ask for any tips? Do you wish to share with us the strategy you will be designing?

What is the first objective for the Dominion? Take over South Africa maybe? The Carrabeans? Cuba?

The first objective will be to capture and annex as many tiny Caribbean/southern america as possible. After we build up a small military force. Also, we will attempt to maintain good relations with the USA, because they have several None-agress pacts with those various nations, without good relations, we might end up facing the Great Objective a weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee bit early.

SolkaTruesilver
2010-07-15, 03:54 PM
I suggest you change this thread's name for something a little more ominous.

"March of the Maple Armies: Canada Conquers the World: Let's Play Hearts of Iron 2"

Edit: I love you, Overlord, oh my Overlord! :smallbiggrin:

I think we should start bribing some allies in South America and subvert their government to establish our rule there. Is there an option to send them Maple Syrup?

Maple Syrup Diplomacy? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panda_diplomacy)

Science Officer
2010-07-15, 04:07 PM
"Ottawa is controlled by Canada. It is one of Canada's national provinces."

what.

unless national provinces is a game term...

SolkaTruesilver
2010-07-15, 04:13 PM

what.

Oh damn. :smalleek:

Don't go there man! In that game, a Province is just a sub-territory!!! :smallconfused:

Don't worry. We'll just add other Official Provinces to our country along the way. Do we grant 1 or 2 Provincial status to the U.S.? :smallbiggrin:

Gamerlord
2010-07-15, 04:47 PM

what.

It is a game term, a national province is a critical part to your survival as a nation, if an enemy has captured all your national provinces, they can annex you, AKA Game Over. I think they are also the only areas you can spawn troops in.

SolkaTruesilver
2010-07-15, 07:23 PM
It is a game term, a national province is a critical part to your survival as a nation, if an enemy has captured all your national provinces, they can annex you, AKA Game Over. I think they are also the only areas you can spawn troops in.

Can you generate new national provinces out of conquered territories?

doliest
2010-07-15, 07:23 PM
No, you can put troops anywhere as long as their part of your main land mass. Also, once you've milked the allies for all their worth, get out of it. Rising tensions in Europe are likely to break out into all-out war and this is no time to be making enemies. I suggest an alliance with Japan if we are to achieve the main objective.

Gamerlord
2010-07-15, 07:29 PM
Can you generate new national provinces out of conquered territories?

I do not believe so.

ZeroNumerous
2010-07-16, 02:09 AM
I suggest an alliance with Japan if we are to achieve the main objective.

Uh... Japan acts like an idiot in HoI 2. Particularly with their near complete lack of carrier construction. I've never seen the U.S navy fail to steamroll them all the way back to the Japanese homeland.

doliest
2010-07-16, 02:15 AM
True, but while Japan is drawing all that lovely attention away from us, we can take the U.S overland. Not to mention that doesn't tend to happen on my games. Is a difficulty thing?

SolkaTruesilver
2010-07-16, 09:13 AM
True, but while Japan is drawing all that lovely attention away from us, we can take the U.S overland. Not to mention that doesn't tend to happen on my games. Is a difficulty thing?

If we have a quick, dedicated and elite troop, we could try sneak-attack the USA into their National Provinces while they are busy player soldier in Europe or the Pacific.

We are extremely vulnerable to anything they might throw at us, so we should also consider having a crippling defensive posture to defend our key National Provinces.

How many NP the USA have, and where are they located? We could try to spy on them to gather the location of their homefront armies, and try to isolate or bypass them.

Again, the most important is going to be speed and opportunism.

In the meanwhile, we need more manpower and industry, but we need to avoid spreading out. Conquering South America sounds like a sound objective. With Cuba, Haiti and Dominican Republic under our boot, we could maybe start of with Venezuela, and work our way up while carefully avoiding the Panama Canal (darn U.S.).

If we manage to hold on Mexico, we'll only have to wait for the U.S. to get distracted.. and we stage a multifront invasion.

Flickerdart
2010-07-16, 10:54 AM
See if you can trade off Quebec for something useful.

SolkaTruesilver
2010-07-16, 11:55 AM
See if you can trade off Quebec for something useful.

Heresy!!! BRULEZ-LE!!

Edit: Hehe.. I decided, in my HoI3 game (playing Canada, off course!), that I will rely a lot on Cavalry, as they are fast in wood terrain, they are strong and they don't need fuel.

So, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police will invade Latin America. That is just awesome :smallcool:

Cogwheel
2010-07-16, 12:22 PM
and they don't need fuel.

Wait, what kind of cavalry have you been using?

You mean you didn't tech up to rocket-propelled mecha-cavalry yet? For shame.

SolkaTruesilver
2010-07-16, 12:40 PM
Wait, what kind of cavalry have you been using?

You mean you didn't tech up to rocket-propelled mecha-cavalry yet? For shame.

My horses don't like it when I stick a rocket there :smallfrown:

I did not had the heart to go through it, so I sticked with the natural horsies.

Gamerlord
2010-07-16, 05:19 PM
http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/2308/canada06.jpg
This is a start at least, production ramped up, everything else decreased.
Why hello there, these are the author's notes, where I will speak OOC, you cannot see it, but afterwards I ramped up production even more, we can now produce 201% of our current production.
http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/9746/canada07.jpg
I get some more propaganda out, and our country is now to the far,far, right.
I decided a move to the right was the only slider change I could do without being influenced like mad by the UK and company, also improves relations with them.
http://img704.imageshack.us/img704/1168/canada08.jpg
I can sense the UK doesn't completely like us, they rejected this offer, and don't seem willing to deal any blueprints with us, no matter what we offer.
http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/5569/canada09.jpg
I ask the staff to figure out what we would need to capture in order to annex the USA, turns out we would need to capture everything they have at the moment,states,pacific islands, everything.
http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/1900/canada10.jpg
I wonder if my staff hid alcohol in the maple syrup we sent our "Allies" .
http://img704.imageshack.us/img704/7596/canada11.jpg
So we even consider trading with japan, and the USA turns nasty all of a sudden?
http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/6655/canada12.jpg
I decided to check on what our tech capability is so far.
http://img693.imageshack.us/img693/7966/canada13.jpg
Apparently the US and japan have really bad relations.
http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/6058/canada14.jpg
Tensions are growing in Europe, I need to get out of the allies ASAP, but they still have some tech, and what if I need back up in the Americas?

SolkaTruesilver
2010-07-16, 05:42 PM
ACF

Is there any other far-right Latino country you could befriend while we build out power base near them?

I was thinking maybe Columbia? Chile?

ZeroNumerous
2010-07-16, 08:17 PM
My screen! She is stretched :smallfrown:

doliest
2010-07-16, 08:18 PM
I think Argentina is Right at the start, since they are somewhat Nazi-sympathetic.

chiasaur11
2010-07-16, 11:08 PM

Eh. The states won it back when it was cool.

SolkaTruesilver
2010-07-17, 10:38 AM
Eh. The states won it back when it was cool.

And Canada refused to field a team, cause they think USSR wasn't playing fair.

But I strongly disagree about "It was cool back then and isn't anymore". Seriously, you want to argue the quality of the play of Then Vs Now? It's no contest. These olympics had one of thr highest level of play on show.

Gamerlord
2010-07-17, 10:42 AM
http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/3985/canada16.jpg
Australia seems to enjoy the alcohol-laced maple syrup we give them.
http://img709.imageshack.us/img709/7386/canada17.jpg
With the help of our blueprints given to us by Australia, we manage to easily get work on the tools done.
Blueprints only help in heavily speeding up tech research apparently.
http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/1073/canada18.jpg
More troops are ready for battle, time to begin my first step to world domination....
For some odd reason, the first division I ordered had a screenshot, but didn't save apparently.
http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/9010/canada19.jpg
...The invasion of Haiti.
http://img693.imageshack.us/img693/9150/canada20.jpg
This is BBC, on may 6th in response to the Canadian declaration of war on Haiti, the USA declared war on the UK and its allies, including canada.
I only have one thing to say about this: *BLEEP*

Flickerdart
2010-07-17, 11:39 AM
Well, that's a humdinger. The same country that guaranteed your independence for some reason will now conquer you.

Klose_the_Sith
2010-07-17, 12:15 PM
They cannot possibly conquer us! We must stand unopposed at the heights of glory for the rest of all eternity! :smallbiggrin:

Shotgun minister for propaganda.

surikesu
2010-07-17, 01:36 PM
Interesting turn of events. Well, time to get in the escape pod.

Gamerlord
2010-07-17, 07:06 PM
http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/1309/canada21.jpg
Ok, seriously? In other news, japan declared war on the USA.
http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/9963/canada22i.jpg
Okay, what was THAT for?
http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/9568/canada23.jpg
USA discovered our transports.
http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/6946/canada24.jpg
Portland has been conquered by our forces.
http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/7007/canada25.jpg
And soon the rest of Maine follows.
Not going as badly as I thought it would
http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/7633/canada26.jpg
However, US bombers soon got to our troops in the area.
http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/7189/canada27.jpg
Our generals appear to be very dumb, they mistook my order for a transport of some troops to portland to an attack on boston or whatever. WITH NO TROOPS THAT COULD DO SUCH A THING.
http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/8845/canada28.jpg
I am really starting to hate those bombers.
http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/4020/canada29.jpg
An unfortunate setback, I plan on simply forcing them to return by continuing my attacks.
http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/687/canada30.jpg
France has begun sending troops to the east coast, where the war is going on at the moment obviously. It shows results almost immediately.
http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/1187/canada31.jpg
France soldiers are right next door to Washington, but those blasted US bombers might stop that, it looks like I might forever be forced to be a member of the allies what with this war. On another note, the UK has started sending large fleets of submarines and groups of bombers to attack the US.
Just wanted to let you guys know something: the annexation of canada would not mean the end of the lets play, since a nifty feature of saved games allows one to select another nation with another nations saved game.

doliest
2010-07-17, 08:00 PM
Sir, It appears some of our generals were drinking the mapple syrup intended for the Mother Country. It's unfortunate that my original suggestion has been rendered null and void by relations between England and Japan. If the war must continue, then we should continue in the planned direction for a double fent on washington between us and the French.
If you want to listen to me, anyway. :smallwink:

Klose_the_Sith
2010-07-17, 08:18 PM
These American's have been practising unclean warfare, their refusal to commit to an open battle but to instead attempt to shell our brave soldiers to pieces is purely symptomatic of their underlying cowardice. Our noble soldiers shall yet have victory, especially with the rest of the world turned upon these treacherous vermin!

Though we may have taken losses, we shall yet prevail and ride to victory!

~ From the desk of the propaganda department, to the hearts and minds of truly brave soldiers everywhere

SolkaTruesilver
2010-07-17, 11:45 PM
So wait, we actually have a shot a this EXTREMELY early war against the US?

With Japan, UK, France on our side, we have a chance to prevail... Maybe?

Oh well. All of our plans went to hell. That is still funny, IMHO.

Good luck Overlord! You are doing God's Work!!!

Rae
2010-07-17, 11:55 PM
By the time they join the war in Europe the USA will have one of the largest armies in the world, the highest industrial capacity and near limitless manpower - and the AI will keep most of those on the mainland so there's no real way to take advantage of their war in Europe and the Pacific.

Interestingly, 1936 is actually the best time to invade the USA - they begin the game with with only a couple of divisions as well as a huge (something like 80%) penalty to their industrial capacity; even Canada can quickly field many times the number of divisions they have. The trick is to invade quickly, because declaring war eliminates their IC penalties and within a couple of months they'll field more divisions than Canada could produce in years.

doliest
2010-07-17, 11:55 PM
Japans not on our side, soldier. They're at war WITH us.

Gamerlord
2010-07-18, 06:11 AM
This is how the war is going at the moment:
Japan,Manchuko (Also at war with the netherlands in a separate conflict) VS. USA,Haiti VS. Entire allied movement.

That is what the war looks like on paper though, in reality:

*In the pacific, japan and the UK are having a contest, seeing who will hit first, large build up of Japanese forces near Hong Kong.
*Haiti is literally being ignored by everyone, mostly because they aren't DOING ANYTHING.
*The US war is happening only on the entire eastern coast,and ALASKA IS NOT DOING ANYTHING FOR SOME ODD REASON, which will make it my next target once I get another regiment to deploy.
*The only real allied forces fighting this are Canada,France, and the UK.

EDIT: Fun fact, if you google "Canadian war machine" IIRC none of the links are about Canadian military. On the first page at least.

SolkaTruesilver
2010-07-18, 06:04 PM
Oh, All Mighty Overlord, I would like to know if the Supply mechanics are somewhat similar to HoI3's, meaning that troops will grow slowly weakened when they are cut from a proper supply center. The supplies are brought on by province infrastructure.

If that is the case, can you identify the location of the main supply depots of the USA? Maybe we could strike at the infrastructure of a few of the sorrounding provinces to help our allies secure the East Coast Beachhead.

I hate these bombers. Is there a way to cripple their bomber capabilities?

Gamerlord
2010-07-18, 06:24 PM
Oh, All Mighty Overlord, I would like to know if the Supply mechanics are somewhat similar to HoI3's, meaning that troops will grow slowly weakened when they are cut from a proper supply center. The supplies are brought on by province infrastructure.

If that is the case, can you identify the location of the main supply depots of the USA? Maybe we could strike at the infrastructure of a few of the sorrounding provinces to help our allies secure the East Coast Beachhead.

I hate these bombers. Is there a way to cripple their bomber capabilities?

AA guns, fighter planes, bombing their air fields, etc.

ZeroNumerous
2010-07-18, 06:31 PM
So wait, we actually have a shot a this EXTREMELY early war against the US?

Not really, no. You know those bombers wiping out entire armies? That's a tiny fraction of the bombers the U.S can actually produce now that we're at war. The airforce will decide the fate of Canada, and without an airforce of your own that fate will be a grim one indeed.

Gamerlord
2010-07-18, 06:51 PM
Not really, no. You know those bombers wiping out entire armies? That's a tiny fraction of the bombers the U.S can actually produce now that we're at war. The airforce will decide the fate of Canada, and without an airforce of your own that fate will be a grim one indeed.

That and the 6-8 US regiments on our doorstep, I will explain later in the next update.

SolkaTruesilver
2010-07-18, 07:05 PM

Yhea, but we still got UK and France that will try to come at the rescue. Doesn't that even the odds?

Edit: I just want to say. If we have a chance to do ANYTHING, I say we do our best to help our allies.

It's lost for us for now. But it's not for them. Maybe we can disrupt the counter-offensive of their landing. Maybe we can damage their logistic center. I don't know, anything. But we got to give them time.

Gamerlord
2010-07-18, 08:21 PM
http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/9148/canada33.jpg
Today french troops captured Washington DC, FDR and co. escaped to Pennsylvania.
http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/7687/canada34.jpg
Then we seized boston around the same time.
http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/4241/canada35.jpg
US is making a lot of allies.
http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/3295/canada36.jpg
That was a close call, they almost found us!
http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/484/canada37.jpg
France gaining a foothold in North America.
http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/4110/canada38.jpg
More grunts for the slaughter, and we continue our conquests.
http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/8937/canada39.jpg
A rush of troopers might be able to win this war.
http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/5240/canada40.jpg
Our troops are too far away and too occupied to fight this regiment, counting down the days to Operation: Canadian rush.
http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/9061/canada41.jpg
FDR flees again to Roanoke this time.
http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/6708/canada42.jpg
The UK and netherlands appears to be losing the pacific war.
http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/1328/canada43.jpg
UK manages to capture the very reason the war started. I sure tolerate it.
http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/9219/canada44.jpg
Note to self: When we annex the US find every US bomber and burn them to the ground.
http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/9775/canada45.jpg
Our conquests have given us some extra room to invent new and painful methods to blow up bombers. Like fighter planes.
http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/8462/canada46.jpg
At least now I have one regiment following in their shadow, retaking everything they take.
http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/7880/canada47.jpg
Only a few more days before the operation can start.
http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/5521/canada48.jpg
However at the same time, we continue our conquests.
http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/9128/canada49.jpg
Apparently there was a welcoming party.
http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/8246/canada50.jpg
Only 2-3 more days.....
http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/722/canada51.jpg
Americans begin unleashing a counter attack.
http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/1977/canada52.jpg
Some sort of documentation issue, needless to say, the operation was crushed, so now we just have more shadows. And possible midwest attackers.
I had a screenshot, seems to have vanished.
http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/3280/canada53.jpg
US starts attacking in even more force.
http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/8610/canada54.jpg
Well, this is starting to become problematic.
Some odd reason, there is no image of more american forces sweeping in and seizing more french land. Also for some odd reason the UK is not sending troops or anything to our aid, just the occasional bombing run or submarine attacks.

SolkaTruesilver
2010-07-18, 08:32 PM
GO CANADA!!!

Show what you are capable of!

(Bloody U.K. who can't actually stick to the game plan of hitting the real threat. I am so glad France is on our side. Vive le Quebec Libre?)

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2010-07-18, 08:52 PM
I once tried a Canada game in HoI3. It ended up with around 15 divisions sitting around in Britain waiting for them to start D-day, so I could follow. Also: USA joined the Allies, and then refused to send their hundreds and hundreds of thousands of men over. *sigh*

Flickerdart
2010-07-18, 09:17 PM
See if you can make peace as soon as you've recaptured all the land you lost. Your relations are pretty high.

doliest
2010-07-18, 09:19 PM
One of my favorite campaigns was a Democratic US that was part of the Axis. To sum up how that ended-The U.K ended up as a U.S. puppet, all of North and South America was part of the United States, Japan was a U.S. puppet...but Germany was conquered by the Soviets who took all of western europe excluding Nationalist Spain who joined the Axis only after I brokered a truce with the Soviets. Basically, The Cold War happened, only the two sides were even bigger.
Oh and a suggestion? Try to get out while you can, maybe broker a separate peace between you and the U.S. France is the only one helping and they don't seem capable of holding much longer.

Klose_the_Sith
2010-07-19, 04:20 AM
Proclamation from the desk of the propaganda minister

Forward boys, the Overlord is ushering in a new dawn, a better dawn, a Canadian dawn! Our time is fast approaching and rests with your steel!

Though these Southerners may be convinced of their own mettle, their only real victory lies in cowardly bombing runs. We shall yet persevere and we shall yet overcome! Every one of you carries the Overlord's message deep at heart - I need not remind you of the price of failure. Glory is ours, forevermore - all we must do is simply seize it.

Our allies have stormed their coast and blasted them to pieces in the East - we will wipe our foes from coast to coast until the sky above the United States rings out with the glorious refrain of 'O Canada'.

They cannot stop us now, for we have been chosen to carry an eternal legacy. Nobody shall stop our fate, the Overlord has spoken.

~ Your friendly neighbourhood Propaganda Minister

Incidentally, this game has caused me to go out and actually buy a copy of this game thing. The interface appears to be an utter beast :smalleek:

Oh well. I shall persevere and all of that.

SolkaTruesilver
2010-07-19, 07:42 AM
Incidentally, this game has caused me to go out and actually buy a copy of this game thing. The interface appears to be an utter beast :smalleek:

Oh well. I shall persevere and all of that.

I'm having fun with Canada in HoI3 for the moment. I put Haiti, Dominican Republic and Cuba under my heel, and I plan to move on against Colombia or Venezuela pretty soon. Then Chile, Argentina, etc... then Brazil (a tough nut).

Mexico will be the last on my list, then I will strike the U.S.

I am still wondering at the differences between HoI2 and 3, tho.

Gamerlord
2010-07-19, 07:46 AM
I have tried making peace 6 times, all refused.

I am currently producing fighter planes, lets hope we survive long enough to use them.

Lord Loss
2010-07-19, 07:50 AM
Quick! Quebec make a false Independence vote, then, when the US thinks we are on their side, ATTACK! With the power of poutine, we can reclaim our country, Ta-(Censored)

SolkaTruesilver
2010-07-19, 07:58 AM
I have tried making peace 6 times, all refused.

I am currently producing fighter planes, lets hope we survive long enough to use them.

Why fighter planes?

I mean.. shouldn't we focus on holding out the line, sending Canadian troops through the U.S. to sneakely capture provinces?

Oh, I also saw that you seemely avoided capturing a U.S. airbase located near the coast. Any reason?

Lord Loss
2010-07-19, 08:00 AM
If we manage to take Phili, could we try to take Baltimore and from there aim for Washington???

SolkaTruesilver
2010-07-19, 08:02 AM
Quick! Quebec make a false Independence vote, then, when the US thinks we are on their side, ATTACK! With the power of poutine, we can reclaim our country, Ta-(Censored)

Free Quebec capable of holding off the U.S. only works in Rift (http://riftsccg.mahasamatman.com/Faction/FreeQuebec.HTML):smallfrown:

Lord Loss
2010-07-19, 08:06 AM
Free Quebec capable of holding off the U.S. only works in Rift (http://riftsccg.mahasamatman.com/Faction/FreeQuebec.HTML):smallfrown:

Poisoned Poutine, then?

SolkaTruesilver
2010-07-19, 08:10 AM
Poisoned Poutine, then?

They don't know it. So they won't eat it (the fools!).

I think we should spread a biological agent in the strip clubs of Montreal. Since the majority of the U.S. Army will spend 80% of it's downtime there, we will be able to infect the majority of their population.

And it will be written in the history books that Chez Parée won the war... :smallwink:

Lord Loss
2010-07-19, 08:11 AM
They don't know it. So they won't eat it (the fools!).

I think we should spread a biological agent in the strip clubs of Montreal. Since the majority of the U.S. Army will spend 80% of it's downtime there, we will be able to infect the majority of their population.

And it will be written in the history books that Chez Parée won the war... :smallwink:

Then we Forcefeed the survivors the poutine... I like the way you think, comrade!:smallbiggrin:.

SolkaTruesilver
2010-07-19, 08:21 AM
Then we Forcefeed the survivors the poutine... I like the way you think, comrade!:smallbiggrin:.

Why this Poutine obsession? Why waste perfectly good poutine that could be used for our fronline troops?

Kill them with bullet. If they only outnumber us 2 to 1, they don't stand a chance.

Klose_the_Sith
2010-07-19, 08:27 AM
Why this Poutine obsession? Why waste perfectly good poutine that could be used for our fronline troops?

Kill them with bullet. If they only outnumber us 2 to 1, they don't stand a chance.

Somehow this seems appropriate (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epeQwq-aYV0) :smallbiggrin:

Zenos
2010-07-19, 02:06 PM
Considering the US is annihilating the canadian divisions with bombers, wouldn't Firestorm be more appropriate?

Gamerlord
2010-07-19, 03:15 PM
Why fighter planes?

I mean.. shouldn't we focus on holding out the line, sending Canadian troops through the U.S. to sneakely capture provinces?

Oh, I also saw that you seemely avoided capturing a U.S. airbase located near the coast. Any reason?
A lot good those troops will do if they get blown to bloody bits by bombers.

Also, I was going to capture pittsburgh but then this happened.

doliest
2010-07-19, 03:25 PM
Fighters will be useful in the months to come; somethings got to stop the U.S from wiping out the forces of Canada without fielding a division against them. :smalltongue:

SolkaTruesilver
2010-07-22, 12:24 PM
No news from the Overlord! :smalleek:

Has he been captured? Should we send in the Wolverines to snatch him back to us?

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2010-07-22, 01:01 PM
No news from the Overlord! :smalleek:

Has he been captured? Should we send in the Wolverines to snatch him back to us?

I was just thinking that it seemed like a longish time with no news. How are we to know how the war is going without the Overlord's famed and amazing propaganda messages?

Gamerlord
2010-07-22, 03:22 PM
Hey, I have been busy, okay? :smalltongue:

SolkaTruesilver
2010-07-22, 03:30 PM
Hey, I have been busy, okay? :smalltongue:

Running Skating away from the American Invasion Forces? :smalleek:

Gamerlord
2010-07-22, 03:52 PM
Running Skating away from the American Invasion Forces? :smalleek:

Unfortuntuly, yes.

It is pretty hard to skate and get pictures for an entry at the same time, especially when you don't know how to skate. But fortunately I have pictures, I will hopefully manage to get an entry in today.

EDIT: Actually, I miscounted the number of screenshots I took, might have to wait a bit longer.

BooNL
2010-07-23, 06:33 AM
I approve of this thread. Canada vs the world? Awesome!

Glad to see my country (NL) putting up a fight as well!

I wonder why I've never heard of this game, it sounds really cool. So you can basically pick any country in the '36-'45 periode and enact a completely alternate WWII?

Cool :smallbiggrin:.

How difficult is this game to play/learn?

SolkaTruesilver
2010-07-23, 06:51 AM
I approve of this thread. Canada vs the world? Awesome!

Glad to see my country (NL) putting up a fight as well!

I wonder why I've never heard of this game, it sounds really cool. So you can basically pick any country in the '36-'45 periode and enact a completely alternate WWII?

Cool :smallbiggrin:.

Wait.. you are a Newfie? :smalleek:

We shall conquer the Labrador, and make it Quebec's! :smallmad:

:smallwink:

The game is fairly complex. Luckily for you, there is an online wiki that explains to you the basic features, gives you advices about the game mecanics, and there is always the forum where you can ask questions about rules, strategies, etc..

If you want to try one of those games, but a little simplier, I'd recommend Europa Universalis. Same concept, but with longer timeframe (1650--> 1790), and you take any country of the world.

Yes, even France. Or the Mayan Nation. Or Brunei (primitive indonesia). Or the Papal State.

doliest
2010-07-23, 07:22 AM
There's also HOI3, which is IMHO more complex and Victoria which is...fun, but doesn't explain a word. Nor does it have a tutorial. I tell you how it works when I figure out what I'm doing.

BooNL
2010-07-23, 07:44 AM
Wait.. you are a Newfie? :smalleek:

We shall conquer the Labrador, and make it Quebec's! :smallmad:

Netherlands, mate. Not Newfoundland :smallwink:

SolkaTruesilver
2010-07-23, 08:14 AM
Netherlands, mate. Not Newfoundland :smallwink:

Ohh..

In that case, you are okay in my book :smallamused:

Gamerlord
2010-07-23, 04:40 PM
http://img830.imageshack.us/img830/9130/canada55.jpg
Our western shadows have been crusher even as they shadow. Ow.
http://a.imageshack.us/img185/7164/canada56.jpg
The American advance is overwhelming us.
http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/3665/canada57.jpg
The UK has practically lost the pacific war, holding only Singapore now.
http://a.imageshack.us/img185/1750/canada58.jpg
Our recent losses have caused us to lose a tech team.
http://img830.imageshack.us/img830/1495/canada59.jpg
Our line appears to be holding.
http://a.imageshack.us/img185/8181/canada60.jpg
.....Not so much. I am preparing a full retreat back to our original territory, maybe if they reclaim their turf they will be more willing to talk peace.
http://a.imageshack.us/img185/1759/canada61.jpg
..Yeah, our line is collapsing.
http://a.imageshack.us/img571/6213/canada62.jpg
.....I hope that retreat is soon. Also, France has been completely driven out of the US.

doliest
2010-07-23, 04:45 PM
This is bad. This is REALLY bad. Sir we're nearing collapse. We have no fallback point. The only suggestion is try to mount a consistent retreat back to an easier to hold line. Not that it will be easy, what with the bombers; and their lack of another force. Throw in the horrific loses in the pacific and I think once the war ends we may want to look for more powerful friends.

SolkaTruesilver
2010-07-24, 10:14 AM
It's all the U.S.'s fault. Why did they had to throw a tantrum the moment we attacked Haiti?

doliest
2010-07-24, 10:43 AM
You mean our unchecked aggression patriotic fervor in enriching a secondary nation response to the unchecked aggression of Haiti?

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2010-07-24, 08:20 PM
If you want to try one of those games, but a little simplier, I'd recommend Europa Universalis. Same concept, but with longer timeframe (1650--> 1790), and you take any country of the world.

EU3 is 1399-1820 :smallconfused:

Irbis
2010-07-25, 04:30 AM
A lot good those troops will do if they get blown to bloody bits by bombers.

Which is strange. AFAIR, bombers in 1936 suck so badly I never bothered to use them then. For me, they began to do anything in 1942, at earliest. Which version are you using?

Fighters will be useful in the months to come; somethings got to stop the U.S from wiping out the forces of Canada without fielding a division against them. :smalltongue:

Um... no. Fighters are expensive, and unless you have a lot of techs, they won't do anything worthwhile, IMHO. They take long to produce, they wait long to gain max organization, and then they have to actually catch the bombers. Plus, if the enemy's bombers are so dangerous, I bet they have stack of 8 led by some Air Marshall. Do you have any comparable leaders? If not, forget about it.

To play? Very easy. To play well? Well... You can always support yourself by lowering difficulty or editing the parameters.

But don't get HoI3. It sucks for anyone who isn't accountant. Stick to HoI2.

EU3 is 1399-1820 :smallconfused:

Even EU2 is 1453-1810.

As for defeating the US, you should have waited a bit, mass-producing troops to take massive swatches of territority when you declared the war. USA ceases to be dangerous without industry. But, one thing people here forgot to mention, each taking of the province damages it, IIRC, so it's best to take each lucrative one once, only fighting in the useless ones.

Also, when you fight, remember that if you take all provinces around enemy forces, which is easy to do in some spots in the US, they have massive penalties to fight and movement.

I remember taking on the US as France. It was epic :smallbiggrin:

First, I DoWed Germany. You know, to not be backstabbed. That campaign was difficult, especially after a lot of countries began to join them, for no apparent reason. Italy, Austria, Czechs, I ended up annexing everything up to the Poland and Yugoslawia, prevailing only because France has better starting force (and I gained a lot of momentum before Germany could use it's massive IC to even the odds). Then, I joined in alliance with Spain, crushed nationalists (it was 1938 already), took Portugal (which is crucial to US Invasion, thanks to Azores - your transports have little range, unlike that of cheating bastard AI :smallmad: ) landed 21 divisions on US coast... then begun shipping the rest of my forces to join them.

For a while, it looked that US might prevail, but under 120 veteran divisions, coupled with encircling and destroying their forces, they finally crumbled. Without east coast, US lost 1/2 IC and ceased to be a problem. Of course, I managed to ship them only because France has world's 4th (3rd, actually, as I captured a few German ships, and used all that IC to build a few more) navy, and yet, I took heavy losses.

After that, I had so many ICs, that I proceeded to beat the allies, japan and the rest of the world without a problem... until I stood against the Soviet Union. I upgraded/disbanded all divisions I had to the most modern ones the game had (air cavalry, MBT divisions, fully mechanized infantry, I had not a single one that wasn't the best in it's class) a week before my resources run out (yup, the world's cannot support all the ICs in it, maybe because to 'province damage' I mentioned earlier) - which heavily damaged my economy, but from that point on, I produced only supplies.

And what a war it was, my 400 divs (and a cache of 5 atomic bombs) against Soviets with some 850 divisions, only half of them modern, on 20.000 km long front. Guess who won? :smallbiggrin:

(yeah, Air Cavalry with 14 speed rapes Infantry with 6-8 speed without even trying, despite being slightly weaker).

The key to defeating stronger opponents, is to find some weak country no one protects, like Bhutan or Tibet, DoW them on the day 1, use Gearing for War bonuses to rocket-jump your economy while everyone else still has -90% to IC, build a force, then begun grabbing nearest chunks of IC and resources before anyone can match you :smallbiggrin:

doliest
2010-07-25, 06:02 AM
If we don't have ANY airforce to counter though, then we'll lose all our divisions, likely before the U.S would have to field any to fight them. Just trying to move between territory would kill us and the longer the war drags the more impossible it becomes. They'll get stronger while we get weaker.

ZeroNumerous
2010-07-25, 08:41 AM
{Scrubbed}

Lord Loss
2010-07-25, 09:06 AM
Ally Everyone we can and use our likieness to defeat the States seems to be our only option...

Flickerdart
2010-07-25, 11:19 AM
Air Cavalry? You're going to have to explain this.

Klose_the_Sith
2010-07-25, 04:45 PM

Original projections from my department predicted 'Sky Cavalry' would look a bit like this as they rained our maple destruction upon our inferior enemies and secured our total victory.

http://blog.modernmechanix.com/mags/qf/c/MechanixIllustrated/4-1956/helicopter_cavalry/med_helicopter_cavalry_0.jpg

As things stand now, I have gloriously retreated to my fortified secret bunker in anticipation of us turning the table on the US any day now ... no, really :smallwink:

Irbis
2010-07-26, 04:32 AM
HoI2. And Bombers for the U.S have always been ridiculously effective. I have no idea why your experience would be any different. :smallconfused:

For the US? Who joins the war in the late 1941-1942? How does that differ from what I've said? :smallconfused:

And there's no HoI2. Which patch you're using? These make that game completely different. Do you use Doomsday? Armageddon?

{Scrubbed}

Except I did, so there's no need to insult me, and second, every major will attack you if you invade its zone of influence, so them doing so was obvious. what did you expect?

You mean like every other country?

Every other country can push you back if you overextend, as they have strong armies. Plus, in doing so, you give them time to construct additional batches of troops. USA? Nope, thy don't have any. Take enough territory and their production will clog with ships and planes, making them useless. So no, not like every other country.

Secret tech, under Helicopters in the Advanced Tech tab. Most advanced Cavalry in the game. I don't remember if you don't need Doomsday for them, though.

If we don't have ANY airforce to counter though, then we'll lose all our divisions, likely before the U.S would have to field any to fight them. Just trying to move between territory would kill us and the longer the war drags the more impossible it becomes. They'll get stronger while we get weaker.

But, if you field planes instead of infantry, and they get beaten by said Air Marshall, you will lose land forces even more surely by not producing them instead.

Meanwhile, US will just produce land troops, game over.

Except, who I'm kidding? It's game over anyway. You might as well use 'acceptall' and spare yourself the pain.

Original projections from my department predicted 'Sky Cavalry' would look a bit like this as they rained our maple destruction upon our inferior enemies and secured our total victory.

http://blog.modernmechanix.com/mags/qf/c/MechanixIllustrated/4-1956/helicopter_cavalry/med_helicopter_cavalry_0.jpg

As things stand now, I have gloriously retreated to my fortified secret bunker in anticipation of us turning the table on the US any day now ... no, really :smallwink:

Really :smallamused:

Another word from me - I found planes so useless that I haven't produced them much. The only exception was an 4-8 stron stack of Fighters (much better than most Interceptors) under my best Fighter leader, used to intercept if enemy planes were too annoying, and an 8 strong stack of Naval Bombers. Why? These guys sunk battleships and carriers faster than Parson noms gwiffons, and they can port-strike, too :smallamused: As Germany, this stack killed 80% of the Allied Navy around Europe for me. They need to be escorted, though, and not venture over enemy skies. Other bombers are rather 'meh' not worth the effort, IMHO, both in ICs and micromanagement time. Of course, I play countries with a lot of manpower, country with lot of ICs and low manpower might find them worthwhile. Not sure if there's any like that.

ZeroNumerous
2010-07-26, 04:58 PM
For the US? Who joins the war in the late 1941-1942? How does that differ from what I've said? :smallconfused:

And there's no HoI2. Which patch you're using? These make that game completely different. Do you use Doomsday? Armageddon?

Hearts of Iron II (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hearts_of_Iron_II) doesn't exist? I suppose, like myself, that Gamerlord is running vanilla.

Except I did, so there's no need to insult me, and second, every major will attack you if you invade its zone of influence, so them doing so was obvious. what did you expect?

Uh, I wasn't being insulting. I assumed you had not read all of Gamerlord's posts, given that you had posted information that was obvious at a glance. He did not intentionally go to war with the U.S. The U.S. went to war with him.

Every other country can push you back if you overextend, as they have strong armies. Plus, in doing so, you give them time to construct additional batches of troops. USA? Nope, thy don't have any. Take enough territory and their production will clog with ships and planes, making them useless. So no, not like every other country.

You specified that the "U.S ceases to be dangerous without industry". That's such a broad statement that it can be easily applied to any country, at all, and be accurate.

Gamerlord
2010-07-26, 07:12 PM
What version are you going to play?
The complete version, which increases the end date from 1947 to 1964 or something like that. Also adds some extra features, like espionage, I will set it so democracies can declare war.

Also, I did not annex haiti, I declared war on it. On another note, the next update might be the last one we get that isn't just us being curbstomped. Over 13 regiments. Coming my way. I belieave I am running the latest version in terms of patching, will need to check.

doliest
2010-07-27, 04:51 AM
So what country would you be doing after Canada get's annexed, commander? I will serve you loyally as an advising brownnoser regardless. :smallbiggrin:

Klose_the_Sith
2010-07-27, 08:07 AM
My resume will feature glowing references found at the bottom of this blood-stained document :smallbiggrin:

SolkaTruesilver
2010-07-27, 08:21 AM
Maybe we could pick up Great Britain and rush to liberate Canada with a large army?

Well, GB or France. Or maybe Germany? :smallbiggrin: Now that'd be an impressive WW2: France, Germany, U.K., Canada vs. USA

Gamerlord
2010-07-27, 07:59 PM
http://a.imageshack.us/img413/6695/canada63.jpg
Any illusion of a fortified line is now gone.
http://a.imageshack.us/img413/6908/canada64.jpg
Giving me some technology isn't helping the odds of me staying in this alliance if we survive this war.
http://a.imageshack.us/img841/122/canada65.jpg
They're slicing us up.
http://a.imageshack.us/img841/9595/canada66.jpg
Now I'm not thinking about the war effort, I'm thinking about what country I will flee to when canada gets annexed.
http://a.imageshack.us/img826/2984/canada67.jpg
UK finally started putting boots on the ground, lot good it will probably end up doing though.
http://a.imageshack.us/img713/1738/canada68.jpg
Albany falls.
http://a.imageshack.us/img340/6972/canada69.jpg
Now the US has unified the war lines.
http://a.imageshack.us/img413/2582/canada70.jpg
We're doomed, altogether at least 13 regiments will be upon us.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2010-07-28, 11:05 AM
Aaaalrighty then.

I say we all emigrate to France.

SolkaTruesilver
2010-07-28, 12:16 PM
I say we also get Germany into the fight, and that will focus on liberating canada with a big army, so we can have the time to rebuild armies to capture U.S. territories...

Otherwise, France is good. Less complicated than UK.

doliest
2010-07-28, 12:21 PM
I once again suggest we purse a position as the Iron Soviet, Comrade.

Lord Loss
2010-07-28, 03:27 PM
I say we flee to France and retake Canada! And become Mounties, Eh!

Irbis
2010-07-28, 05:19 PM
Hearts of Iron II (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hearts_of_Iron_II) doesn't exist? I suppose, like myself, that Gamerlord is running vanilla.

I did said it because there's no such thing as standard HoI II. The game balance changes with each patch, changes very strongly when you add Doomsday, and even more with Armageddon (I use(d) all three). With them, hou have an option of an actual WW III, new spying screen, much more units, and other changes brought by modern warfare.

Even patches change things, as Subs used to be Metal Sharks of Doom in early ones, to the point you could win Atlantic War with only them, then they were colossally nerfed with only their Convoy Attack being raised.

He did not intentionally go to war with the U.S. The U.S. went to war with him.

I mentioned Zones of Influence already :P

You specified that the "U.S ceases to be dangerous without industry". That's such a broad statement that it can be easily applied to any country, at all, and be accurate.

Take ICs from other countries, and they can fight back, US cannot. Plus, US production plans are much more agressive; teke ICs from them and production will clog with useless units, while other countries manage such crisises much better, IMHO.

Any illusion of a fortified line is now gone.

A point for the future - see that huge drop in resources after you lost Ottawa? It's because it's your main resource storage. You could have bleed USA dry with repeated taking of Washington :P

Giving me some technology isn't helping the odds of me staying in this alliance if we survive this war.

By the way, why are you using militia? :smallconfused:

You don't play Soviets, you know.

They're slicing us up.

Another point - your dissent is high. You should have lovered the 'dove' bar, it would have been smaller. But, the rate at which it drops seems to suggest you have pre-war supply production, which means you are not optimizing IC at all.

Now I'm not thinking about the war effort, I'm thinking about what country I will flee to when canada gets annexed.

Another point - why you're moving that division to the side of Ottawa? You should have waited for US to exit Ottawa, then retake it, then crush out-of-supply US division. Unless you have a point I don't see, your division is losing both time and Org.

UK finally started putting boots on the ground, lot good it will probably end up doing though.

If only they attacked D.C...

We're doomed, altogether at least 13 regiments will be upon us.

More like 130.

By the way, if don't have Doomsday, you should have accurate table of ships/divisions. Care to make a screen with them?

Aaaalrighty then.

I say we all emigrate to France.

No no no! Don't you see? Now is the time to strike! Canada brilliantly lured in all US divisions...

So take Mexico and stab these Yanks in the back! Show them Califoria won't stay in the hands of gringos! Install burrito bars in San Francisco! Muahahaha! :smallyuk:

And after they defeat you, take France or Soviets. But, let's hope they wont. Just take as much ground as you can.

Gamerlord
2010-07-28, 05:37 PM
I am using militia because they are the army from the old "Zerg rush their provinces before they build up legions of doom" strategy. And I have doomsday. And those US troopers in Ottawa ARE in supply, and will still be in supply.

doliest
2010-07-28, 10:16 PM
This was an impossible war that never should have happened, sir. I personally blame the propaganda minister.

Rae
2010-07-29, 12:38 AM
I hate to say it, but you're fooked. A few months of wartime production by the USA will let them field an army to match any of the major powers; eventually, they'll simply overwhelm you.

That said, I just ran a proof of concept and it's completely possible to beat the USA, legitimately, as Canada. (On Normal difficulty - I suspect it CAN be done on the harder settings, but I'm just not that masochistic)

The trick, of course, is to strike very very quickly. Build nothing but cavalry from 1936 until you're manpower reserves are too depleted to continue (about 6 months), and buy some infantry from Britain (they'll sell you divisions quite cheaply, but they come with 1 strength and need reinforcement - which is considerably cheaper than production but will still limit you to buying 2-4 inf divisions).

In any case, once you're ready send one or two divisions to cut down through the western coastline and have the cavalry rush from Ottawa down to Florida, cutting off Washington from the interior and pocketing what sparse divisions the Americans have. The infantry can follow to hold and widen the line. American bombers will be a problem, but quick rushes to the American airbases should see most of the destroyed on the ground - which is you're only option because there simply isn't the time nor resources to produce or research fighters or interceptors as Canada at this stage.

The end result is a Canada with about 100IC (Industrial Capacity - think somewhere between France and Britain), absolute truckloads of surplus resources, but harsh manpower problems. Still, you could make an interesting game out of it and declaring war directly on the USA doesn't seem to trigger a cluster**** the way Haiti did, so WWII should proceed roughly on schedule. Your manpower will always be tough, but it can be stretched by maintaining an almost strictly mechanized and armored ground force and ignoring infantry, and investing heavily in the air force and navy. Should be an interesting challenge to try and rush a force to hold of the Japanese in the Pacific while defending France from Germany.

Klose_the_Sith
2010-07-29, 12:42 AM
This was an impossible war that never should have happened, sir. I personally blame the propaganda minister.

Sir, this is an injust slander of all me and my department have worked towards - even in the closing days of this failing war the troops obey your every order, marching forwards under your banner no matter what it costs them. I have given you fearless legions, but their brave hearts were too few.

Naturally I shall require some exit papers, to honour my daring and noble work.

doliest
2010-07-29, 12:59 AM
By Jove, sir, you are correct and I apologize. I blame who ever's in charge of the enviroment. We won't need him anymore.

Klose_the_Sith
2010-07-29, 05:19 AM
By Jove, sir, you are correct and I apologize. I blame who ever's in charge of the enviroment. We won't need him anymore.

Ladies and gentlemen of the Canadian Empire, I submit that the minister for the Environment be executed to turn this war around. All in favour?

doliest
2010-07-29, 09:29 AM
I! and that's all that matters, considering I rule the army. :smallamused:

Flickerdart
2010-07-29, 01:29 PM
I! and that's all that matters, considering I rule the army. :smallamused:
We haven't really got an army anymore though. For lack thereof, you are hereby reassigned as Minister of the Environment.

Gamerlord
2010-07-29, 02:00 PM
We haven't really got an army anymore though. For lack thereof, you are hereby reassigned as Minister of the Environment.

We haven't really got an environment anymore though, I have reduced it to rubble to try to build my empire. For lack thereof, he is hereby reassigned as Chief of Overlord Escapes.

Also, here is how I think the nation escaping to will go:
1.Mexico, with the goal of destroying the US and liberating Canada. Which will probably fail and end in our conquest. After that....
2.One of the following three: UK,France, or soviet union. We command them until they get destroyed.
The question is, when to flee Canada? Now? Just before we get annexed?

Irbis
2010-07-29, 02:43 PM
I am using militia because they are the army from the old "Zerg rush their provinces before they build up legions of doom" strategy.

Nice poster above me already mentioned cavalry, and I approve :smallwink:

And I have doomsday. And those US troopers in Ottawa ARE in supply, and will still be in supply.

Ah, right, you have 'Intel' tab [facepalm] :smallsigh:

We haven't really got an environment anymore though, I have reduced it to rubble to try to build my empire. For lack thereof, he is hereby reassigned as Chief of Overlord Escapes.

Also, here is how I think the nation escaping to will go:
1.Mexico, with the goal of destroying the US and liberating Canada. Which will probably fail and end in our conquest. After that....
2.One of the following three: UK,France, or soviet union. We command them until they get destroyed.
The question is, when to flee Canada? Now? Just before we get annexed?

I approve :smallsmile:

As for when, well, now might be a good time, while the US is still busy and their new divisions haven't come online. But, I think others might agree you, as Prime Minister, will pick the best time, what with being nearly on the front and all.

Klose_the_Sith
2010-07-29, 05:09 PM
I shall remain in my bunker until the end of the war comes crashing around.

Can't you see my bunker still broadcasting? Those are totally not pre-recorded messages on loops! Glory to the Overlord!

(Greetings from Sunny <Next Country> Overlord!

Wish you'd coup here!)

doliest
2010-07-29, 08:09 PM
As Chief of Overlord Escapes, I suggest we skip step one. How about we just get to the Soviet Union, France, Or U.K. We don't need to go and give the U.S more power when we invade from a real country.

Gamerlord
2010-08-01, 09:49 AM
I think I will go soviet union.

On another note, something VERY unexpected has happened in the game, and adobe reader is being moronic,so I cannot read the manual, so don't yell at me if in the next update something happens that I don''t understand why it happened.

Irbis
2010-08-01, 10:35 AM
Always happy to help :smallwink:

Gamerlord
2010-08-01, 10:39 AM
Always happy to help :smallwink:

The manual is not being helpful, so I have a question: What,exactly, is necessary to annex a nation? I thought it was all national provinces but I must be wrong.

Alex Knight
2010-08-01, 07:56 PM
The manual is not being helpful, so I have a question: What,exactly, is necessary to annex a nation? I thought it was all national provinces but I must be wrong.

You must control the capital and the target nation cannot control any of its national provinces.

(Note: This means if the British conquer Washington and you conquer the rest of the U.S.A., the British will be the only ones allowed to annex the U.S.A.)

Gamerlord
2010-08-01, 08:06 PM
You must control the capital and the target nation cannot control any of its national provinces.

(Note: This means if the British conquer Washington and you conquer the rest of the U.S.A., the British will be the only ones allowed to annex the U.S.A.)
Do you have a fully patched version? Because USA annexed Canada and Canada still had some national provinces. Don't worry, Overlord is safe in soviet union.

Irbis
2010-08-02, 03:34 AM
But you wnet to Mexico at least for a minute required to declare war? Did you? Hmmm? :smalleek:

As for annexing thing - where you checked your national provinces? In what window view?

Klose_the_Sith
2010-08-02, 04:27 AM
*Puts on fuzzy hat*

Ah, comrade Overlord - so good to see you alive, well and out for bloody revenge.

I'll start circulating flyers :smallbiggrin:

Alex Knight
2010-08-02, 04:32 AM
Do you have a fully patched version? Because USA annexed Canada and Canada still had some national provinces. Don't worry, Overlord is safe in soviet union.

Well, and this is key, not EVERY province a nation controls at the start counts as a "national province" for this. In fact, that's probably the wrong term. What counts are "victory point" provinces. For example, you can ignore the American Midwest. Its status is irrelevant for annexation.

Gamerlord
2010-08-02, 03:36 PM
Well, and this is key, not EVERY province a nation controls at the start counts as a "national province" for this. In fact, that's probably the wrong term. What counts are "victory point" provinces. For example, you can ignore the American Midwest. Its status is irrelevant for annexation.

Really? In that case, I think US had all the victory point provinces.

Also:

Wrath of an overlord: Soviet Union destroys america.

http://a.imageshack.us/img833/227/sovietunion01.jpg
Seeing as how we were about to be turned into a fine red paste, I made a break for it. Greetings, comrades!
http://a.imageshack.us/img843/8338/sovietunion02.jpg
Tech teams are really making some progress.
http://a.imageshack.us/img411/2143/sovietunion03.jpg
We had no transports, so I arranged for some to be built, also got to work on 4 fighter planes and a regiments.
http://a.imageshack.us/img825/4994/sovietunion04.jpg
And now conquering America is going to become a whole lot harder.
http://a.imageshack.us/img411/9316/sovietunion05.jpg
So did UK and France. Who by the way do not like me.
http://a.imageshack.us/img836/5743/sovietunion06.jpg
If I assist communist china in any war they might end up having at any point with nationalist china, perhaps they will join the cominterm.
http://a.imageshack.us/img841/5857/sovietunion07.jpg
Two of our projects are finished.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2010-08-02, 06:32 PM
Are you gonna rename the title?

Fluff & Napalm
2010-08-02, 06:46 PM
I started playing this game because of this thread. It's awesome, but talk about information overload. The learning curve is a bit brutal, but compared to EVE it's not that bad.

Gamerlord
2010-08-02, 06:57 PM
Are you gonna rename the title?

I will, but only when I think of something suitably dramatic.

Maybe "Revenge of the canadian overlord, Soviet Union crushes America"

doliest
2010-08-02, 10:16 PM
Awesome, Comrade.

I have just settled into my new office, terrifying the populace with suitable anger while ensuring our military's loyalty. Speaking of, I've been working on my speeches for the next war. That and my perspective.

Flickerdart
2010-08-03, 07:57 PM
It amuses me that the background images are flipped horizontally - you can tell because all the text is mirrored. I wonder who was stupid enough to do that.

Gamerlord
2010-08-07, 02:22 PM
http://a.imageshack.us/img838/2773/sovietunion08.jpg
Ok several things:
Germany tried to send ANOTHER spy, failed.
Transports ready, fighters coming in feb, infantry coming this month.
Building relations with Japan.
http://a.imageshack.us/img201/6683/sovietunion09.jpg
Excellent, they were the ones I had better relations with.
http://a.imageshack.us/img838/7553/sovietunion10.jpg
Infantry coming in.
http://a.imageshack.us/img202/1952/sovietunion11.jpg
Huh? I don't remember giving them anything
http://a.imageshack.us/img837/9043/sovietunion12.jpg
Tech teams certainly are quick in this nation.
http://a.imageshack.us/img840/2144/sovietunion13.jpg
See proof.
http://a.imageshack.us/img828/5126/sovietunion14.jpg
Moving us closer to interventionist policy.
I say we call a vote, do we do "Operation OMGBBQNATIONRUSH" and cunningly have every single nation DOW on US? Or should we use more honest methods to win?

Raistlin1040
2010-08-07, 02:32 PM
Crush the Imperialist American Swine!

Klose_the_Sith
2010-08-07, 08:48 PM
Rain down righteous fury upon all those who would look down upon the glorious Overlord! Let steel rain from the sky as it blasts these monsters out of hiding and grinds their men to dust!

There are only honest methods when fighting such barbarism, sir Overlord.

~ Propaganda Minister is off to hunt bears, as Russians do

Irbis
2010-08-08, 05:57 AM
Huh? I don't remember giving them anything

AI did this.

I say we call a vote, do we do "Operation OMGBBQNATIONRUSH" and cunningly have every single nation DOW on US? Or should we use more honest methods to win?

Do eet! :smallyuk:

It might end up backfiring, though.

doliest
2010-08-08, 09:39 AM
Sir my armies are more than prepared to take on the entirety of the Svine controlling zis planet! Ve hav an unending supply of men that ve shall vain down upon zer filthy headz!

-From the Desk of the Supreme-Comrade Military Commander

Gamerlord
2010-08-08, 03:06 PM
AI did this.

I know the AI did that, it was a joke from the POV of the overlord, pointing out how we didn't give them anything the event said we did.
B:

Gamerlord
2010-08-13, 02:43 PM
http://a.imageshack.us/img409/5367/sovietunion15.jpg
OK, I guess I drank some of the maple syrup....
http://a.imageshack.us/img816/2782/sovietunion16.jpg
Phillipines: Declaring war in name only on countless nations since 1936.
http://a.imageshack.us/img841/8669/sovietunion17.jpg
Case in point. Also, Peru declared war on Brazil after Brazil declared war on america at the same time with Argentina did.
Cannot wait to see how messed up WWII will be.
http://a.imageshack.us/img409/5299/sovietunion18.jpg
Ah, soviet tech teams continue to work on nastier, more advanced methods of mass revenge.
http://a.imageshack.us/img840/714/sovietunion19.jpg
I so much as LOOK at you, and you send a spy?
http://a.imageshack.us/img816/8874/sovietunion20.jpg
Persia falls on hard times.
http://a.imageshack.us/img409/2087/sovietunion21.jpg
OK, we have at least 52 hostile spies in our country, and we find one from A CHINESE WARLORD?! Guy is getting hammered by nationalist china, should be spending the money on tech! And resources!
http://a.imageshack.us/img339/4914/sovietunion22.jpg
Mexico worms its way into US territory. Also, US has less then 40 divisions. For comparison, Japan has 100.

Irbis
2010-08-13, 04:14 PM
You're doing 1939 research in 1937? :smallconfused:

Also, how many divisions Mexico has? 12? :smallamused:

Gamerlord
2010-08-13, 04:23 PM
You're doing 1939 research in 1937? :smallconfused:

Also, how many divisions Mexico has? 12? :smallamused:
A:Problem? Instant hilarity when I begin steamrolling the others with that tech.
B: I did not say that in order to say Mexico had a chance, I said it to supply the readers with info on US strength.

doliest
2010-08-13, 05:01 PM
Yes, use Advanced Tech for GREAT JUSTICE! We will crush all Svine of the vorld with our Uber-Tanks, Mui Capitan!
Oi! Me accent's slippin;. :smalltongue:

In all seriousness, Supreme-Comrade, the world seems to be falling into anarchy. Good thing we haven't. Yet.

Talkkno
2010-08-13, 08:08 PM
[QUOTE=Gamerlord;9136971]A:Problem? Instant hilarity when I begin steamrolling the others with that tech.
/QUOTE]
It takes like 50% longer to research though..................

Gamerlord
2010-08-13, 08:27 PM
[QUOTE=Gamerlord;9136971]A:Problem? Instant hilarity when I begin steamrolling the others with that tech.
/QUOTE]
It takes like 50% longer to research though..................

Just 50%. Probably will have it finished by 1938.

Klose_the_Sith
2010-08-13, 09:52 PM
Go Comrades! Go Overlord! Go Mexico! Go Phillipines :smallbiggrin:

Gamerlord
2010-08-19, 08:55 PM
Hey guys, bad news: the computer with the saved files for the LP has been suddenly put out of my use for at least four days of the week,for an indefinite amount of time, so update time will be significantly slowed.

Storm Bringer
2010-08-21, 02:16 PM
a quick question about HOI2.

I've got hoi3, and in it, i find that it is damm near impossible for a minor nation to start a war with someone, due to the high neturality levels and the fact it takes years to wear that down, and doing so invloves spending a significant amount of my leadership on spies.

is thier a simmilar mechanic in HOI2? if thier is, how the hell do i get around it and start wars in the early days? i have lillerally no idea how to even attempt somthing like the hati grab, cos i can't build thier threat up very high and drop my neturality down within 4 or 5 years.

NotAEvilToaster
2010-09-19, 01:32 PM
What happened to this?

Gamerlord
2010-09-19, 04:08 PM
What happened to this?
Issues with my HoI2 saves, computer issues.....
Also:
http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/Thread_Necromancy_3038.jpg :smalltongue: