PDA

View Full Version : Psionic Shot + Eldritch Blast

Darth Stabber
2010-07-13, 08:10 AM
Can I use Psionic Shot (and it's Greater version) on Eldritch blast, or with other ray spells? Because I am smelling a build here.

Runestar
2010-07-13, 08:13 AM
Can I use Psionic Shot (and it's Greater version) on Eldritch blast, or with other ray spells? Because I am smelling a build here.

Sure. So you can add an additional +2d6 or +4d6 damage every round, assuming you can regain psionic focus as a move action, and aren't in any immediate danger that you need to move. :smallsmile:

Optimystik
2010-07-13, 08:17 AM
Yes, Psionic Shot works with any ranged attack or ranged touch attack.

Your main issue is needing to recharge your focus with each shot. You're also looking at 4 feats tied up in doing +4d6 damage (PBS, Psionic Meditation, Psionic Shot, GPS) which makes it a touch less attractive, but still doable.

Darth Stabber
2010-07-18, 03:21 AM
Your main issue is needing to recharge your focus with each shot. You're also looking at 4 feats tied up in doing +4d6 damage (PBS, Psionic Meditation, Psionic Shot, GPS) which makes it a touch less attractive, but still doable.
Well I already plan on having pbs (and precise too, I don't like -4 to hit), and I don't want to resort to hellfire to get decent damage (I have an aversion to self inflicted ability damage). I am probably going to dip a level in psywar (for the feat and psionics).
Feats
Lvl1 - point blank
human - precise shot
Psywar bonus feat - Psionic shot
Lvl 3 - psionic meditation
Lvl 6 - ??????? (probably skill focus(concentration))
Lvl 9 - GPS

So at lvl 10 I am throwing 9d6 every round, though this doesn't work on those tasty AoE blast shapes. So this is by no means optimized, but it will work for a fun character.

PId6
2010-07-18, 03:53 AM
Skill Focus (Concentration) isn't really all that great a feat to take; your concentration checks should be fairly high already, and you should be able to avoid needing to make them most of the time anyhow.

Ability Focus (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsterFeats.htm#abilityFocus) is a better choice. It increases your EB saving throw by 2, so it helps whenever you apply a blast shape or essence that allows a save. Alternatively, Martial Study (ToB) can get you any 2nd level maneuver, such as Shadow Jaunt, Cloak of Deception, or Action Before Thought. Even something like Spell Penetration or Improved Initiative will help you more than Skill Focus (Concentration).

lord_khaine
2010-07-18, 03:54 AM
So at lvl 10 I am throwing 9d6 every round, though this doesn't work on those tasty AoE blast shapes. So this is by no means optimized, but it will work for a fun character.

Hmm, but wont it work on things like Chain?

PId6
2010-07-18, 03:59 AM
Hmm, but wont it work on things like Chain?
No, because Eldritch Chain requires making new attack rolls for targets beyond the first one, so Psionic Shot will only apply to one of the attacks.

Runestar
2010-07-18, 04:01 AM
You need 7 ranks for psionic meditation, meaning the earliest you can take it normally would be 6th lv (though you could always splash a lv of psywarrior at 4th lv).

Yzzyx
2010-07-18, 09:04 AM
No, because Eldritch Chain requires making new attack rolls for targets beyond the first one, so Psionic Shot will only apply to one of the attacks.

Secondary targets in a chain specifically take exactly half the damage the primary target took.

Runestar
2010-07-18, 09:07 AM
Secondary targets in a chain specifically take exactly half the damage the primary target took.

I think that refers to only base damage, external sources of damage such as psionic shot or mortalbane might not count.

T.G. Oskar
2010-07-18, 11:52 AM
I think that refers to only base damage, external sources of damage such as psionic shot or mortalbane might not count.

Eldritch Chain states the opposite:

Each target struck after the first takes half the damage dealt to the first target. This reduction in damage to secondary targets applies to any effect that increases the damage of your eldritch blast (such as vitriolic blast)

By RAW, Eldritch Blast counts as a ranged attack (a ranged touch attack, but nonetheless counts as a ranged attack). This feat is an effect that increases the damage of Eldritch Blast, given that it is a ranged attack and hence complies with the requisite to enable Psionic Shot (and Greater Psionic Shot); hence, it applies to all secondary characters affected by Eldritch Chain by virtue of the reading.

However, take heed that it might not work on other Blast Shape Invocations, such as Eldritch Cone, Eldritch Doom or Hideous Blow (or Eldritch Glaive). It could work on stuff like Eldritch Spear, tho, since it keeps the ranged attack action.

In any case, the build is so complex it wouldn't affect that much (Eldritch Chain becomes a good option, but so does with Hellfire Warlock's Hellfire Blast if you think about it), so it's not exactly something to ban or worry about. It only works on a few variants of Eldritch Blast, in any case (basic, Spear and Chain).

Now, it could make for a mini-nova along with Hellfire Blast...

KillianHawkeye
2010-07-18, 10:02 PM
This idea is interesting. Is there a psionics/warlock theurge PrC anywhere?

PId6
2010-07-18, 10:18 PM
This idea is interesting. Is there a psionics/warlock theurge PrC anywhere?
No, but you can use Cerebremancer if you can qualify somehow. You'll need a wizard dip + Precocious Apprentice or something similar.

KillianHawkeye
2010-07-18, 10:25 PM
No, but you can use Cerebremancer if you can qualify somehow. You'll need a wizard dip + Precocious Apprentice or something similar.

I guess it's not really necessary if you're only dipping psionics to use Psionic Shot, but it was worth a try.

Darth Stabber
2010-07-18, 11:26 PM
Actually a psionic/invoker prc would not be bad to brew. It will probably show up with in the next few days on the home brew boards, but first I have to do some research.

Also the amalgamancer prc in my sig does advance psionics and warlock, but you also need divine, prep'ed and spont arcane, and meld shaping so it hardly helps for this case, just thought I would give it a plug.