PDA

View Full Version : hee hee wtfpwned

Superglucose
2010-07-13, 07:54 PM
My DM just flipped out about my druid of Mielikki wearing metal armor. He accused me of cheating and started flying off the handle.

I wish I could see the look on his face when he reads page 48 of Faiths and Pantheons! :smallcool:

Erts
2010-07-13, 07:58 PM
My DM just flipped out about my druid of Mielikki wearing metal armor. He accused me of cheating and started flying off the handle.

I wish I could see the look on his face when he reads page 48 of Faiths and Pantheons! :smallcool:

... Okay, funny enough....

Thrice Dead Cat
2010-07-13, 07:58 PM
Wait, seriously flipped out? Oi. I hope he doesn't recon it away once he reads that supporting text.

Lhurgyof
2010-07-13, 08:01 PM
I'm intrigued. This sounds like ridiculous cheese.
I know I as a DM would never allow a druid to wear metal armor, what so ever. xD

gallagher
2010-07-13, 08:07 PM
hah, i too once had a player flip out on me like that. a guy who was an avid paladin back in the day (dunno if it was ADD or 2e or sooner) saw me playing a paladin of freedom and not acting in line with what a paladin should, and complained about me not falling.

seems that nobody ever explained to him the PoF

Optimystik
2010-07-13, 08:09 PM
If he is DMing FR, then it is his fault for running a setting he doesn't understand.

If he is not DMing FR, then you may be the one out of luck.

Dust
2010-07-13, 08:13 PM
For those curious, Mielikki's claim to fame is a very brief passage in the multi-paragraph diety overview (which is of course generally reserved for fluff) that reads:
Almost all clerics of Mielikki multiclass as rangers or (to a lesser extent) druids. Her druids may use weapons or armor allowed to rangers and not be in violation of their sacred oaths.

If it was me, any players that tried this stunt would immediately get smacked down by the second part of the diety's duties and whatnot. For example, once a month they need to summon a treant and run its errands for a day. You're required to attend four annual banquets that you CANNOT miss, etc.

LibraryOgre
2010-07-13, 08:13 PM
hah, i too once had a player flip out on me like that. a guy who was an avid paladin back in the day (dunno if it was ADD or 2e or sooner) saw me playing a paladin of freedom and not acting in line with what a paladin should, and complained about me not falling.

seems that nobody ever explained to him the PoF

That's because they are not Paladins.

cZak
2010-07-13, 08:17 PM
The very title of this thread made me cringe in contempt...

However, your DM may be justified. I am not familiar with the background of FR, is there some 'fluff' reason why only Meilikki allows this benefit for druids?
Its pretty standard in the PHB that druids are banned from this ability. Why are Mielikki's different?

Optimystik
2010-07-13, 08:22 PM
Her dogma focuses on harmony between nature and civilization.

"Intelligent beings can live in harmony with the wild without requiring the destruction of one in the name of the other."

It's also worth noting that the magic items she creates only have to be partially made of natural materials, whereas those made by Silvanus have to be entirely made of same.

Kylarra
2010-07-13, 08:24 PM
People bragging about pissing off their DMs in a vacuum just make me :smallconfused:

Optimystik
2010-07-13, 08:27 PM
I didn't really see the point of this thread either, but Dust's response made it worth the read for me.

Kylarra
2010-07-13, 08:28 PM
I didn't really see the point of this thread either, but Dust's response made it worth the read for me.Dust's response is what I'd think of a few hours after I'd already shot down said player hard. Sadly I'm not as creative. :smallfrown:

Optimystik
2010-07-13, 08:33 PM
Dust's response is what I'd think of a few hours after I'd already shot down said player hard. Sadly I'm not as creative. :smallfrown:

That's what forums are for! I bet you'll think of stuff like this the next time deity shenanigans get tried :smallsmile:

EDIT: For the record, I don't think letting the druid wear chainmail will make him (any more) broken. But a few months of getting a dryad's laundry to teach the player not to be so smug about loopholes might be in order all the same.

BritishBill
2010-07-13, 08:38 PM
lol thats badass

Primal Fury
2010-07-13, 08:40 PM

I wish I could see the look on YOUR face when you DM calls you on this and your druid loses all their class abilities and spells. Now THAT would be funny.

Kylarra
2010-07-13, 08:40 PM
That's what forums are for! I bet you'll think of stuff like this the next time deity shenanigans get tried :smallsmile:

EDIT: For the record, I don't think letting the druid wear chainmail will make him (any more) broken. But a few months of getting a dryad's laundry to teach the player not to be so smug about loopholes might be in order all the same.Well, I try to get my players to be as upfront as possible, but I'll try to keep it in mind just in case!

I agree that it's not really a huge issue mechanically, but the mentality is grating. :smallfrown:

Icewraith
2010-07-13, 08:42 PM
Surprising the DM with a character's build, abilities, or equipment is NEVER a good idea, both for the character's health and the health of the gaming group.

lsfreak
2010-07-13, 08:54 PM

Really, if he's not flying off the handle when he learns you're playing a druid in the first place...
It's not like wearing armor breaks druids any more than they're broken.

Dust
2010-07-13, 08:59 PM
Nope. You might think you're clever for a few minutes, get a good smug grin of satisfaction for the first session of the game, and then if your GM is worth his salt, you'll quickly realize a wonderful universal truth.

Namely, that it is impossible to win against the GM. Doing the Treant's sexy-unmentionables load of laundry is just the start. Keep it up and they'll turn fmylife.com/ (http://www.fmylife.com/) into your campaign journal.

JeminiZero
2010-07-13, 09:02 PM

Why bother though? The addition of psionics in the SRD lets you make Armor out of Crystal that costs the same, and is just as effective as Metal.

Optimystik
2010-07-13, 09:06 PM
Why bother though? The addition of psionics in the SRD lets you make Armor out of Crystal that costs the same, and is just as effective as Metal.

Or just use ironwood, that's what it's for.

Fax Celestis
2010-07-13, 09:11 PM
Or just use ironwood, that's what it's for.

Or bronzewood. Or bronzeleaf. Or blue ice. Or glassteel. Or crysteel. Or darkleaf. Or darkwood. Or deep crystal. Or mundane crystal. Or dragonhide. Or chitin.

Seriously, there are so many different materials that essentially boil down to "oh yeah, druids can actually get around that little hurdle no problem" that I wonder why people even bother trying to enforce it.

lsfreak
2010-07-13, 09:13 PM
Seriously, there are so many different materials that essentially boil down to "oh yeah, druids can actually get around that little hurdle no problem" that I wonder why people even bother trying to enforce it.

Some of us don't! :smallbiggrin:

NEO|Phyte
2010-07-13, 09:16 PM
Or deep crystal. Or mundane crystal.

While your point is quite valid, gonna have to point something out to you here.

Because deep crystal armor is considered to be made out of metal, druids cannot wear it.

Because mundane crystal armor is considered to be made out of metal, druids cannot wear it.

Optimystik
2010-07-13, 09:21 PM

Well whaddya know. Druids are forbidden from wearing metalloids too. Who knew?

Fax Celestis
2010-07-13, 09:26 PM

Well, okay, so knock those two off. The rest are fine, though.

Superglucose
2010-07-13, 10:24 PM
{Scrubbed}

Zovc
2010-07-13, 11:45 PM
What's so funny about making someone flip out? >.>

ExtravagantEvil
2010-07-14, 12:05 AM
What's so funny about making someone flip out? >.>

You have to realize, it isn't funny due to the DM having lost his self control over a chain shirt (which is minorly amusing), it is how this is entirely caused by fluff, and the PC's victory by citing the page in which it states that fun ability, which is not game statistics, not class features, but something that is so rarely used, from what I know of, just pure, whole hearted fluff. So I am proud that there was a triumph of Fluff over numerical values, and "balanced" abilities. All in all, its the end result, and the steps to get there, not the initial affect that was funny.

icefractal
2010-07-14, 12:07 AM
What I find amusing is the outrage that a Druid wearing metal armor traditionally provokes. It's not even a balance factor, it's a flavor one, and it makes dubious sense even as fluff text. Why exactly would the Druid prefer to have some creatures killed and skinned for their armor instead of pulverizing some rocks, anyway? The "closer to nature" thing makes some sense, but is undercut by the fact that the rest of the Druid's equipment and lifestyle have no such requirements. And the weapons are just arbitrary.

I think some of it is the "false balancing" factor; people (correctly) hear that classes like Druid and Wizard are very powerful, and so in order to reign them in they get strict about the wrong things, like armor restrictions that don't matter past 3rd level or weapon restrictions that are even more meaningless. I'm not saying that anyone here thinks that, but it is certainly an attitude that exists. Heck, I've even seen one DM refuse to let people buy marbles instead of caltrops, because they claimed it would unbalance the game.

Optimystik
2010-07-14, 12:18 AM
{Scrubbed}

Was that truly necessary?

Superglucose
2010-07-14, 12:23 AM
The funny part is the way he flew off the handle and accused me of cheating over and over and over again only to have me point out the rule I told him about when I first made the character.

It wasn't a secret. If he didn't want it he had been warned about it repeatedly.

He had no reason to accuse me of cheating, and I'm enjoying his backpeddling off the "OMG UR SUCH A CHEATAAAR" mentality.

In no way did I set out to piss off my DM. But it's funny what happened.

mucat
2010-07-14, 12:42 AM
OK, your actions and motivations make a lot more sense now that you've explained them...

...but that still doesn't explain the title of the thread. Did you spill coffee on the keyboard halfway though it?

SethFahad
2010-07-14, 01:51 AM
Did you spill coffee on the keyboard halfway though it?

LOL I sprayed coffee out of my mouth and on my monitor, with that quote!!! :smallbiggrin:

Wings of Peace
2010-07-14, 02:15 AM
I'm intrigued. This sounds like ridiculous cheese.
I know I as a DM would never allow a druid to wear metal armor, what so ever. xD

If the worst cheese a DM has to worry about from a player's Druid is that their Druid wear's metal armor they are very very lucky.