PDA

View Full Version : spell choices for a budding wizard

Sindri
2010-07-14, 01:27 AM
What are, in your personal opinions, the most valuable first and second levels spells? Please include the book they're from if possible.

edit: Direct damage is even more useless than usual for this character, and I'm not all that interested in summons, save or suck, and mind control (though particularly epic ones should be mentioned), but protection, battlefield control, and buffing are very valuable. I'm a generalist if that matters.

PId6
2010-07-14, 01:30 AM
Off the top in no particular order:

1st:

Benign Transposition (SpC)
Grease
Ray of Enfeeblement
Ray of Clumsiness (SpC)
Mage Armor
Charm Person
Shield
Silent Image
Nerveskitter (SpC)

2nd:

Glitterdust
Alter Self
Resist Energy
See Invisibility
Web
Invisibility
False Life
Rope Trick

bobspldbckwrds
2010-07-14, 01:34 AM
if you can talk your DM into it, disrobe (first level, BOEF) can be a worthwhile save or suck. it has style, it has multiple uses, and the look on the other players' faces when you pull it off is priceless, pun not intended.

PId6
2010-07-14, 01:36 AM
if you can talk your DM into it, disrobe (first level, BOEF) can be a worthwhile save or suck. it has style, and the look on the other players' faces when you pull it off is priceless, pun not intended.
If the pun involved the word "suck," then I certainly hope it's not intended. :smallyuk:

Sindri
2010-07-14, 01:54 AM
I'm pretty sure I want to avoid that book in order to not give my GM unpleasant ideas.

gorfnab
2010-07-14, 01:59 AM
Well it kinda depends on what campaign your in. But if you're looking for a guide on wizard spell selection A guide to Wizards: Playing a GOD (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=394.0) is a good start.

HunterOfJello
2010-07-14, 02:02 AM
You should read through The Wizards' Handbook by Dictum Mortuum (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19869222/The_Wizards_Handbook) and also Treantmonk's Guide to Wizards: Being a God (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19873034/Treantmonks_guide_to_Wizards:_Being_a_God). They're your best sources for all things Wizard related.

As far as spells go, the best books are the Player's Handbook and Spell Compendium.

There are tons of first and second level spells that are very useful and worth obtaining. Your best bet is to read through those guides to understand what type of wizard you'd like to play based on schools of magic and group role. (Hint: the best schools are Conjuration and Transmutation)

I'll list a few of my top favorite spells.

lvl 0
Prestidigitation
Stick
Detect Magic
Ghost Sound
Mage Hand

Early lvl 1 Spells
Silent Image
Mount (used in similar situations as Silent Image, except it makes noise. Or you could do something strange like riding on it.)
GREASE!!!
Magic Missle (the definitive lvl 1 damage spell)
Sleep
Mage Armor

Late lvl 1 Spells
Identify
True Strike (for use with rays)
Disguise Self
Lesser Orb of Sound (few enemies can resist sonic damage, and since it's a conjuration spell, spell immunity and spell resistances don't apply to it)
Hail of Stone (nice low level aoe)
Nerveskitter (amazing in a wand)
Appraising Touch (nice for if your DM makes your characters use appraise to determine item values. you can keep it in your spell book and ignore it until you finally spend a day in a town when you need to cash in all those extra magical items)

lvl 2 spells
Baleful Transportation (excellent for surprises that pop up in combat. Your party will be happy when their tank is in front of the newly arrived enemies instead of 100 ft away)
Clowd of Bewilderment
GLITTERDUST
Mirror Image
Invisibility (this is the kind of spell you studied to become a wizard for)
Entice Gift (please give me that weapon of ultimate destruction. thank you! *teleports away*)
Heroics (any fighter feat you want for 10 min/lvl ? Your tank will love you to cast this on him. Actually, anyone in your party would love you to cast this on them)
Combust (*poke* you're dead!)

late lvl 2 spells
Shadow Spray (this spell has a very specific use. to take down enemies with very low strength. One cast of this and a CR 6 Will-O-Wisp can make it completely helpless. Pretty good for a lvl 2 spell)
Earth Lock (a group of pesky Kobolds are living in a mine with 2 entrances? well there's no reason to go fighting them all when you can trap them inside for the foreseeable future)

Eric Tolle
2010-07-14, 02:59 AM
In my day, we were happy if we got a Sleep or a Charm Person. Pity the poor mage who was given Spider Climb and Comprehend Languages.

Sindri
2010-07-14, 03:16 AM
In HackMaster (AD&D variant) I ended up with Grease and Alter Self...

Xyk
2010-07-14, 03:23 AM
If the pun involved the word "suck," then I certainly hope it's not intended. :smallyuk:

The pun was "pull it off".

And MAGIC MISSILE. I have never not grabbed magic missile, mostly because I like shouting "I WANNA CAST MAGIC MISSILE!"

Freegle
2010-07-14, 03:33 AM
And the 'being batman (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104002)' guide is useful too