PDA

View Full Version : A Light in the Darkness [closed]



Pages : 1 2 [3]

blackfox
2006-05-03, 08:00 AM
Ginevra

Katrin accepts the box from Sheyra and her twin. Setting it on the ground, she runs quickly back to her room, hoping she remembers the way back, and returns holding a box made of lead. She puts this box inside the iron one, and hands the iron box back to Sheyra. "Here you go," she says.

Entering the armory, Katrin thanks both Sheyra and her twin, then walks over to where the daggers are stored on the wall, looking over them for a pair of well-made and balanced daggers that would be easy to hide on her person.

kuja.girl
2006-05-03, 11:18 AM
Tiriel feels immensely relieved that she and her friends won't have to worry about guarding/delivering the kris any longer. She doesn't doubt that the artifact is much safer locked up in this house than shoved into a bag and dragged around the world.
She bows slightly to the twins, "Thank you."
She then moves over to were the bows are stored. She'll spend a decent amount of time comparing the strength of the bows before chossing a composite long bow.

[ooc: Dr.bob - I added the bow and quiver of arrows to my character sheet. Is this a long bow with an normal pull (+0), or stronger?]

Soluna
2006-05-03, 01:25 PM
Si'rene

Relieved to have finished that task, and anxious to move onto the next task and be done with this whole thing, Si'rene starts to look at scimitars, picking them up and feeling the heft of them in her hands. I best get better on the close contact fighting. This may help. Finding the scimitar that suits her natural stance and swing the best, Si'rene adds that to her light load.

Dark_Stalion
2006-05-03, 02:50 PM
Gnoll

Curiously the Gnoll followed the others. It would seem that these creatures weren't hostle either. Perhapse he would have to rethink his perspective of them as a whole. From the Armoury the Gnoll takes a longsword of fine workmanship, well balanced and of strong steel. he had seen what the swords of his friends had done to the zombies.

Spaz
2006-05-03, 03:19 PM
Yix


Yix flies around looking for anything that might be pseudodragon sized, or would help aid the little dragon in what he does.

Yoric_Steele
2006-05-03, 07:31 PM
Trinark, Drow Cleric

Trinark had up to this point had been keeping to the background and observing the events around the group. Given what he had been through, seeing the twin of Sheyra appear wasn't all that surprising.

When presented with the Armory, he slips closer to the front. Initially, he seems to be checking the corners and along the floor. At one point he mutters "Scabbard", and furrows his brow as he continues his search.

Trinark will also approach one of the "Sheyras" and ask if there are any shield available, in lieu of a weapon.

[OOC: My apologies again to everyone for my absence last week. Things are better now.]

Dr._Bob
2006-05-03, 09:01 PM
Sheyra and her twin close the iron doors, sealing the Kris inside.

[hr]
The armory contains weapons and armor of all kinds and descriptions.

Katrin chooses a pair of elegant daggers. One moment they are in her hands; the next they seem to have vanished, having been hidden somewhere on her body. Following her lead, Thallios also chooses a brace of daggers.

Tiriel finds a rack of yew longbows. She strings them one by one and tests their pull until she finds one that suits her. She also slings a quiver of arrows over her shoulder.

Even Si'rene helps herself to a weapon, choosing a gently curved scimitar. She takes a few practice swings, then sheaths the blade in one graceful move.

The gnoll helps himself to a longsword, as does Tychus. Trinark examines the swords closely, but instead of choosing a sword for himself, he removes a sword from its scabbard and places his own blade inside instead. He belts the sheathed blade to his side.

Trinark also chooses a small steel shield, which he slings over his shoulder. The shield is black with no blazon or decoration. It seems to suit the drow just fine.

Even Yix finds something to his liking. On a shelf off to the side are several small dolls - mannikins with miniature armor in a variety of ancient historical styles. The craftmanship is remarkable, and the pseudodragon finds that he is able to strap on a miniature breastplate, helmet and greaves. The armor protects his torso, head and rear legs, yet allows him to move his wings and tail freely.

Everyone breaks into smiles as Yix paces back and forth in his shiny armor, looking for all the world like a miniature soldier.

[hr]
The compound bustles with activity as servants prepare for your departure. Soon the new fallen snow has been trampled into a wet slush. Most of you spend the day recuperating from the long underground journey. Trinark finds the bright light outdoors uncomfortable, and stays inside his room until the sun sets.

As you gather for dinner, conversation turns to whether everyone will be following the women to Rashemen or not ...

runehawk
2006-05-04, 08:51 AM
Lizardkin Druid

Looking at all the weapons he had no use for, He glanced at his claws and wished there was some way to improve them.

No matter..
He thought, thinking of the sword of flame, semuaya had blessed him with. He wondered if his old master had ever been able to wield one.

He patiently waited for Sheyra to tell him more of what happened to his party and his quarry. She had promised to tell him later. He remembered having seen the strangely curved knife in one of his visions and had a bad feeling about it being kept in the vaults. The further away it was from Sheyra, the better he'd feel but he said nothing.
OOC:is it okay if I get the material necessary to construct a barbed dart

Soluna
2006-05-04, 08:53 AM
Si'rene

Noting that this is indeed a safe place, Si'rene joins everyone in the feast set before them tonight. She takes her time, enjoying the taste of food, still hot from cooking. To Tiriel and Katrine, So off we go again. I guess it hasn't been so bad thus far. I look forward to being above ground for this one! She wonders if it will be just the 3 of them this time, or if these others will follow.

--OOC--

Is there a place in town I could buy some more arrows? I did not want to just take everything being offered.

Spaz
2006-05-04, 08:49 PM
Yix

Yix flies to Sheyra's twin's shoulder (or is it Sheyra's shoulder) and puff out his chest while emitting a feral growl. This is as much as he'll say before looking in delight over more food being served to them. It would seem to all that Yix is ready for anything.

Dr._Bob
2006-05-04, 10:38 PM
Sheyra and her twin do not dine with you this night. They promise to tell you what happened to Aeroz, Fizahn and the others before you leave for Rashemen though...

[hr]
Tychus and Thallios speak quietly together during the meal. Their faces are long when they finally address the rest of the group.

The bard and the elf will not be joining the rest of the party. They plan to head back across the Sea of Fallen Stars to Cormyr, where they hope to inter Andrea's body.

"We will be forever grateful to you for rescuing us from the drow ... no offense, Trinark."

"I am working on a ballad called A Light in the Darkness ... perhaps someday, the song will make its way back to the East and you will hear yourself in song someday ..."

The mood of the meal is somber after that. No one is happy to lose a companion, especially after all that you've been through.

[hr]
The next day is cloudy, which suits Trinark just fine. You spend the day in Telflamm looking for additional equipment for the journey to Rashemen. Telflamm is truly a city of merchants. Almost anything you can imagine is for sale, for the right price ...



OOC: Feel free to shop till you drop. Anyone recognize the song lyrics?

runehawk
2006-05-05, 12:19 PM
Lizardkin Druid

That night, the lizardman eats sparingly. His appetite poor because the fate of his pack, as he now thought of them and the stirring of strong feelings to return home occupied him.
He explored the human fare gingerly and nodded approvingly as two of his new acquaintances announced they were returning home.
Going to them, he asked they meet with him so he can bless them and say his final goodbye, before they leave. He looks with fondness at the blue-haired elf and the irrepressible human and feels glad they wil return to a safe haven.

Leaving them, he stands by the window staring at the moon and stars, for the first time since emerging from the Underdark, a strong sense of confinement in being in a human dwelling arises and he wishes he were under the open sky. He starts at a sound beside him but relaxes when he sees that it only his dark companion.

Seeing his bliss at seeing the moon,
"You've never seen that white orb before have you? It's the moon. It lights our darkness and lets us see the beauty in the night."
Trinark laughs before resting the lizardman on the back. He shares that the moon had been in his heart and mind for a while now. The lizardman's brow crinkles in an attempt to understand as Trinark shares his faith. He listens as his mind begins to wrap around the concept of Gods other than Semuanya and those of the balance. The two speak long into the night and stand in silence.
[hr]
The next day, the lizardkin declines to explore the city partly from knowing how pinkskins in general may treat him; mostly as he had little interest. He swa around in the pool for hours before asking about some small glade or even permission to leave the city for a while before returning.

OOC: Is there a temple of silvanus or any nature god where he can meditate/ tune himself? (they're bound to have a substantial grove)

Dark_Stalion
2006-05-05, 12:50 PM
Gnoll

The next day the Gnoll starts to think about what to do now, seeing as he had nothing to worry about that could kill him at the moment. Looking through his pack he found an emerald. No weren't human cities supposed to be places where such trinkets could be traded for usefull equipment? Perhapse even beter than his own. He starts asking arround among his companions, his... friends. what could he exchange this emerald for?

[Ooc: I'm asking for an appraise check from anyone who feels that they would be able to give me some advice. I'm phrasing it so that I'm asking what sorts of things I could buy, like what armor, as opposed to hoe much in gold.]

blackfox
2006-05-05, 05:17 PM
Ginevra

Katrin walks around the city, taking in as much as she can, and trying to get a sense of the layout. She looks for a store that sells magical equipment--since she had met Thallios, she had grown increasinly envious of his Handy Haversack, and she wanted to buy one for herself. She wasn't sure whether she had enough money, but it couldn't hurt to at least check.

Spaz
2006-05-05, 10:10 PM
Yix

Yix flies around the city in his armor. walking occasionally to rest his wings, and trying his best to lok "official." He goes up to the passerby everynow and then to beg for a little food or whatever trinket they wish to give to a pseudodragon trying to give them the puppy dog eyes.

kuja.girl
2006-05-05, 10:34 PM
Tiriel wanders around town without any strong purpose in mind. So far the only thing on her list is another quiver of arrows.

Soluna
2006-05-06, 08:08 AM
Si'rene

Si'rene wakes the next morning happy to have a goal in mind. She is going to shop for the finest arrows she can, and perhaps enough materials to make a few of them at least flammable, but still effective. She also looks at the condition of her clothes and figures a new set of travlers clothes may be in order. Finishing her order with 3 weeks worth of rations, not knowing what was in store for her.


---OOC----

can I assume prices in the player's handbook, or are the prices elevated here?

Dark_Stalion
2006-05-06, 02:48 PM
Gnoll

The Gnoll, seeing as no one could help him among those he trusted, decided to finally venture out into the city proper to find someone who would be able to apraise his emerald, preferably for free. He tries to ignore the curious, worried and occsionally scared looks thrown his way.

Dr._Bob
2006-05-06, 08:30 PM
You leave the compound as a group. Sheyra provides furs to ward off the winter chill. The snow that fell yesterday has been scraped from the streets, but Trinark is still struck by the novelty of frozen water crystals that fall from the sky ...

[hr]
Bundled up, your party attracts little attention from passersby, but when you step into their shops and remove your hoods, your receive many surprised stares and double-takes.

The citizens of Telflamm are fairly urbane, however, used to visitors from many distant lands. After getting over their initial surprise, they avert their eyes and go about their own business.

Telflamm is, after all, primarily a city of merchants, and as long as you have gold to spend, you are welcome.

[hr]
The emeralds are appraised at 300 gp each. Between the gems and the platinum pieces, each of you individually have a modest amount of money to spend. If you were able to pool your money, you would perhaps be able to buy more expensive items.

Prices in Telflamm are never fixed. Bargaining is the rule. For the good haggler, good bargains can be found ...

[hr]
Around midday, the party discovers Chapel Street, lined with temples to both major and minor deities.

The lizardman is welcomed into the temple of Meilikki. Within its walls, trees with white blossoms thrive even here in the middle of winter. A babbling spring in the center of the trees offers a peaceful place to meditate.

Trinark is surprised to spot a small sign depicting a naked dark elf dancing in the moonlight wielding an elegant bastard sword. The sign hands outside of a nondescript building, remarkable only for its complete lack of windows ...




OOC: Make diplomacy checks (DC 15) for a 10% discount on merchandise. Failing by 10 or more will result in a 10% premium. Succeeding by 10 or more will result in a 15% discount.

Pretty much anything and everything listed in the 3.5 PHB/DMG and/or SRD is available in Telflamm for a price. Make your own rolls, just let me know what you buy and how much it costs you.

Dark_Stalion
2006-05-07, 09:20 AM
Gnoll

The gnoll, not liking the slant of the mearchants mouths, and opressed by the noise and bustle of the city, resigns himself to following the others arround on their expoditions to find that they want.

Yoric_Steele
2006-05-07, 10:06 AM
Trinark, Drow Cleric

Trinark during one of his visits to the many shops, decides to purchase a standard quality Heavy Mace. Selecting this as a back up weapon, just in case. [OOC: Failed check, deducting 14gp for the purchase.]

Upon seeing the sign outside of the plain building, Trinark will enter. Hoping against hope there might be a small shrine to Eilistraee.

[OOC: Runehawk, nicely done on the exchange between your character and mine. Trinark would indeed be awed by the sight of the moon. Something he had only dreamed of.

blackfox
2006-05-07, 12:14 PM
Ginevra

Katrin talks briefly to a merchant selling magical items about his price on the Handy Haversack he was selling. Even with the extra platinum Sheyra and her twin had given her, she had barely half of what the merchant wanted, so she decided to instead purchase rations for the journey, as much as she could carry and still run easily with the weight.

(OOC: Ginevra purchases 16 days' worth of rations at the normal price.)

runehawk
2006-05-07, 01:24 PM
Lizardkin Druid

The talk with the drow had been eye-opening to the lizardman. Never had he realised the complexities of the world outside the marsh where he lived. His response to this new knowledge was mixed.

His kind had always seen the pinkskins as weak and corrupt. Unable to sustain the rigors of life in the true world. And dependant on a form of magic that would ultimately doom them. Their very warm blood dooming them to a rash and short-lived existence.

But in spending time with these creatures he had seen the qualities that Semuanya had seen fit to create within his children mixed with less desirable qualities.

Wanting to meditate on it further, he had asked for permission to leave the city for a while but on discovering his intent, the others had instead led him to a temple of a nature deity.

Within the city!

Bidding a short bye to the others and remembering the stares he had attracted as a wild-seeming creature in hide, he was relieved to enter the grounds of the temple and meet humans who seemed glad to see him.

Some even identified themselves as druids by speaking in Ogham(Druidic) to him and making the secret signs his master had taught him as well. As they exchanged information, The lizardkin learned how far he was from his home and was shocked to imagine the journey back.
Many questions he had of his own spiritual experiences were answered as well. And he came to understand of the Otherwhere which he had glimpsed into on occasion.
He found himself learning mush although it had to be explained slowly to him many a time.

Excusing himself after the small cousel, he found a place by the sacred pool where he sat and meditated. The sheer exhaustion of the past had not completely worn off and he found himself dozing before finally settling into a meditative state.

He focussed on his hunt. On what else remained for him to do to complete it and how long it would take before a message arrived from home for him.

He had promised his master that he would watch over the people. If the hunt was truly over and the people were no longer moving to war, would it mean he could return home.

His mind drifted to the members of his pack in the hunt. Faces of the gnomes, a worried halfling and all the others drifted past. Even the human with hat whom even the other pinkskins had told him they found strange. would he see them again?

He slowed his breath and concentrated on seeing the ley lines of the otherwhere again.

kuja.girl
2006-05-07, 08:31 PM
Tiriel wanders around town with the group. She's glad that both the drow and lizardman have found places of peace within the town.
She'll follow Si'rene and Ginevra on their shopping trips and purchase two quivers of arrows and, inspired by Ginerva's purchase some extra rations.
Seeing her friends buy and pack their equipment reminds Tiriel that she has a bag of holding; sheepishly she'll offer to carry anything that might cause her friends trouble.

She then leaves her friends and wanders over to the stables...

Shopping totals:
discount roll: (1d20+3=16) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=443933)
2 quivers of 20 arrows (1gp/ea) = 2gp
20 rations (20 sp/ea) = 9gp
total = 11gp

ooc: Tiriel will also offer to loan gp to anyone who looks like they may need it (within reason).

Soluna
2006-05-07, 11:15 PM
Si'rene

Si'rene wanders with her friends, also buying 2 quivers of arrows, and 16 days of rations. Splurging, she also decides the time has come to replace her adventurers clothes. She does this pragmatically, picking what is sturdy rather than flattering. Watching others finger items, inquire about them, then either put them down or haggle the price down, Si'rene finds comfort in her more spartan way of being.

---rolls---

2 quivers of arrows dc 19 (17+2) - 2GP - so 1gp 70sp
Traveler's clothes dc 22 (20+2) - 1GP - so 85sp
16 days rations dc 14 (12+2) - 5sp/day - so 8gp

total deducted: 10gp 55sp

Dark_Stalion
2006-05-08, 05:56 AM
Gnoll

Observing the others purchase of ood, the Gnoll starts thinking practically again. He too purchases a large amount of food, though isn't accostomed to haggling, so just pays the asking price [10 days rations for 0.5 pp], and several quivers of arows [4 quivers for 0.4 pp, => 1gp change].

Spaz
2006-05-08, 10:48 AM
Yix

Yix travels around trying to find the dealers with the best rations for sale. He is unsure of how many telepaths they have dealt with before but he attempts to get his rations for free. "Awww what a cute little dragon! I bet he is hungry, I should give him some food." Yix broadcasts into the merhcants heads, trying to make it seem as if it is their inner voice/conscience.

Dr._Bob
2006-05-08, 11:11 PM
One by one, you return from your trip into the city. Compared to the loud bustle of the city, the House Relik compound is quiet and peaceful, and you are all glad to be able to relax for one more night before setting out for Rashemen.

The trip to the fletcher was fruitful, and together you have many quivers full of arrows. You also have emergency rations for the long journey ahead.

Yix stumbles back into the compound carrying a stack of ration packs, "donated" by a suggestible merchant. The pseudodragon teeters under the weight of the enormous (for him) packs, which will certainly last him for a tenday.

Tiriel surprises everyone by returning with a spirited warhorse, but it is Trinark's return that makes the greatest impression ...

It is dusk when the drow returns to the compound. When he throws off his cloak, the rest of you stare in amazement. His freshly oiled and polished chain shirt glistens darkly, as shiny as the skin of a black dragon.

His longsword is gone. Instead, he carries a silver-hilted bastard sword slung over his shoulder. His shield, formerly a dull gray, is now a satiny black. At first it looks undecorated, but as the light catches it, you can see an iridescent image appear - a naked dark elf swordswoman, dancing in the moonlight.


OOC: Last chance for any purchases. Next time I post, you will be on your way to Rashemen ...

kuja.girl
2006-05-08, 11:45 PM
Tiriel returns slightly winded to the House of Relik after giving her new mount a "test ride." She's immensely pleased with her purchase and finally feels ready to leave for the next part of their journey.

When Trinark returns she flashes him a broad smile. She's happy that someone (or something) else recognized his bravery and commitment to his new life. Following her last train of thought, Tiriel realizes Tinark has probably never ridden a horse before. Looking around the room, she realizes that he's probably not the only one.

Later that evening she'll approach Trinark and offer to teach him some riding basics. Anyone is welcome to join or watch.

Light Warhorse - 150gp
Military saddle - 20 gp

ooc: Soluna - Si'rene can put her money in Tiriel's bag of Holding if weight is an issue. It's practily empty anyhow and it's not like Tiriel's going to rob her friend ; )

runehawk
2006-05-09, 05:53 AM
Lizardkin Druid

Concluding the trance, Ssathiya opens his eyes. A mixture of relief and sadness fills him. Relief that he had prevailed and that his tribe had been saved; that their future was secure and happy. Sadness as he had not been the one who had saved the tribe but the pinkskins that had become his pack.
And at the thought that his journey was not over and that the vision had not shown him return home.

Friend, a pinkskin word that the witch had taught him. He wondered where they were and what had become of them.

The clerics and druids at the temple had instructed him in many things his master had not emphasised. He learnt that the pretty rock he carried could be traded with pinkskins for things he might need. He was amazed that so many humans could be attuned to the Great Balance. Their insight into his culture/thinking helped them teach him about trade with coins & other facets of warmblood culture and his experiences thus far in a manner he understood.

Deeply grateful to them, he leaves in high spirits. He gathers some dirt from the grove in his pouch first and purchases rations and an outfit more suited for the weather ahead.
[hr]
Returning to the House Rellik compound dressed more warmly, he greets Trinark and Yix when they return and asks about their day. After a long talk, he spends the rest of the time swimming in th basement pool waiting to meet Sheyra and bid goodbye to some of his new companions.
OOC: Cold Outfit -8gp
PM to players

Yoric_Steele
2006-05-09, 08:03 AM
Trinark, Drow Cleric of Eilistraee

After Trinark's return, he moves among the group with a more confidence. Traces of the once scruffy outcast seem all but gone. He seems to be more relaxed and at peace than you have every seen in him before.

Trinark takes the time to chat with each member of the group. He lingers talking to Tiriel when she mentions riding "horses". He explains that some sects of the Drow use creatures in the Underdark as mounts, but it is not that common. He has personally never "ridden" anything.

Since it is clear that the journey ahead will require swift travel, he accepts the offer of instruction. Inwardly he hopes he will not have to do much more than ride, let alone fighting from horseback.

Spaz
2006-05-09, 05:53 PM
Yix

Yix returns. and briefly stops by the lizardkin to have a short chat before moving on to secure his belongings somewhere. Yix dissapears for a good ten minutes before anyone sees him again, obviously trying to find a good hiding space. Except whenever anyone enters the bedroom they see his stuff stacked not so neatly in a large pile with a pillow haphazardly stacked on top of it.

blackfox
2006-05-09, 07:13 PM
Ginevra

Katrin leaves her equipment in her room, except her weapons, and goes outside to watch Tiriel riding. She had never learned how to ride and never intended to, but she enjoyed any display of skill.

Soluna
2006-05-09, 10:14 PM
Si'rene

Standing next to Ginevra, Si'rene watches the specticle and says casually If I have the money you need for the weapon you desire, just let me know. you know i would do anything for you.

---ooc---
money exchange:
Si'rene exchanges all her silver to gold, as far as it will go, keeping 5 sp back, all her gold, save 71gp

45 SP
12,887 GP
75 PP

TO

5 SP
71 GP
1357 PP

Can I go into town one more time before we leave? I need to buy healing potions.

blackfox
2006-05-10, 06:25 PM
Ginevra

Katrin looks back at Si'rene and says, "I'd need almost a thousand gold for the Handy Haversack I'd wanted to buy. I doubt even you have that much money on hand, but if you really want to help me out, I'll pay you back for it eventually."

Soluna
2006-05-10, 09:04 PM
Si'rene

All you had to do was ask. Si'rene hands over 100 pp to Ginerva. The number of times you have pulled me out of danger, this is not a loan. I am forgetting this money as soon as I hand it to you.


---OOC---
I have updated my character sheet to show new balance.

blackfox
2006-05-11, 08:18 PM
Ginevra

"Thank you, Si'rene," says Katrin, accepting the money. "I'm going to go buy the Handy Haversack now; do you want to come with me?"

Dr._Bob
2006-05-11, 10:54 PM
While Tiriel teaches Trinark the basics of riding a horse, Si'rene and Katrin/Ginevra return to the stores to pick up a few last minute supplies.

By the time they return, it is late morning, the pack horses have been loaded with gear, and the party is just about ready to depart.

[hr]
Sheyra and her sister have provided horses for each of you (except for Yix, who can ride with anyone he wishes to). You also have three extra horses, which are carrying tents, bedrolls, furs, and feed.

Sheyra bids you farewell. "Follow the signs to Gref's Ferry. The road to Mulsantir should be reasonably safe for a party of your size."

Her twin stands beside her. "Remember to give Yhelbruna the mask, and please assure her that the Kris will be kept safely in our possession."

As you are about to ride away, you realize that you don't even know the twin's name. As if reading your minds, the twin smiles and says, "Midori. My name is Midori." She waves as you ride away.

[hr]
You leave the compound as a group, but at the city gates Tychus and Thallios take their leave. Andrea's body rests in a coffin in the back of a cart. The bard and wizard will make sure that Andrea is returned to Cormyr for a proper burial.



OOC: Last minute purchases can be made as outlined previously.

Soluna
2006-05-11, 11:21 PM
Si'rene

Accompanying Ginevra back to the shops, Si'rene watches as she buys the Haversack, then they go to the magicians store, where Si'rene secures a small bag of holding, a small chest, made especially for the 20 vials of cure light wounds potions. Securing those items in the bag, along with her rations and her emerald, Sirene looks to Ginevra signifying she is ready to head back.

---OOC---

Bag of holding - DC 17+2 = 19 2250 GP
20 healing potions - DC 20+2 = 22 43GP 50SP/each Total 870 GP
Chest - DC9+2 = 11 full price of 2GP

blackfox
2006-05-12, 08:06 AM
Ginevra

Katrin goes to the merchant she had seen before selling the Handy Haversack, and manages to talk him down to a lower price. She nods at Si'rene, indicating that she is ready to return. After getting back to the compound, Katrin transferred the items in ber backpack to her new Handy Haversack.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
About to leave the compound, she looks distrustingly at the horses, as if expecting one to bite her, then clumsily mounts, scowling as her horse shifts its weight around, uncomfortable under a inexperienced rider. "You know what, Tiriel?" she says, glancing over at her friend once fully into the saddle. "I might just take you up on those riding lessons after all."

(OOC: Diplomacy check 14+1=15. I added the Handy Haversack to Ginevra's inventory and adjusted her gold total.)

Dark_Stalion
2006-05-12, 08:50 AM
Karzak

Karzak looks at his horse, then at the others, mounted on theirs.

Ithink I'll just jog with mine.

Soluna
2006-05-13, 08:32 AM
Si'rene

Getting on her mount, Si'rene begins to wish she took the riding lessons as well. Uncomfortable sitting on the steed, Si'rene tries to get settled and used to this strange experience. She seems to catch on quickly, and is soon doing alright.

attemt to ride (1d20+5=22) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=450655)

Spaz
2006-05-13, 02:17 PM
Yix


Yix walks around all the horses as if inspecting them, he finally decides to travel on one of the spare horses. He makes his way up to the horses back and settles himself in with all the equipment.

kuja.girl
2006-05-14, 09:26 PM
Tiriel will move among those who choose to ride and help them with the basics before mounting her own horse.

OOC:
FYI - simply riding a horse requires no checks. Look here (http://d20srd.org/srd/skills/ride.htm) to see the details.

Dr._Bob
2006-05-14, 10:19 PM
Leaving the gates of Telflamm, you find yourselves on a well worn dirt road heading southward.

The road, which can be muddy and near impassable in the spring, is frozen and smooth at this time of year. The frigid temperatures seem to be keeping all but the most hardy travelers at home, but the furs you've been provided keep the chill away for the most part.

You essentially have the road to yourselves, and with the gnoll loping beside the horses and the drow and lizardman bundled up like taers, you are sort of glad that you don't have to explain your party's composition to anyone.

[hr]
The party is currently composed of the three women (Tiriel, Si'rene, and 'Katrin' who was formerly called Ginevra); the lizardman druid who refuses to share his name; Trinark, the outcast drow; Karzak, the gnoll who seems as surprised to be traveling with you as you are; and Yix, the tiny flying dragon.

All you know about your new quest is that you are supposed to travel to Rashemen, find someone named Yhelbruna, and give her a porcelain mask and the news that the Kris of Sethra is safely in the hands of Midori and Sheyra.

The first day's journey is uneventful and, frankly, boring. After your desperate scramble through the Underdark, simply riding along an empty road under a winter sky seems almost mind-numbingly dull.

[hr]
Before the sun sets, you find yourselves at a ford. The river is black with icy water. A number of flatboats have been pulled up onto the riverbank, but no ferrymen appear when you call out ...

Spaz
2006-05-14, 10:38 PM
Yix

Yix takes the time to stretch his tine legs and wings before taking a sip from the cold water. He then walks around the boats inspecting each on of them. It is hard to tell exactly the expression on the pseudo dragons face, but it seems to be one of happiness. As the tiny dragon continues his search of the boats the words "Hide and Seek" echo in peoples heads as he broadcasts it to all who are near.

runehawk
2006-05-15, 06:16 AM
Lizardkin Druid

The lizardkin had tried clambering a horse but after finding the horse just too skittish and the height uncomfortable, he had clambered back down. His people were fine runners in any case and he trusted he could keep up with the dogman.

He had bidden his friends who had headed east at the gate and had sprinkled some dirt on them and uttered a blessing to speed their journey home and make it a safe one.

Running beside Karzak, wearing his hide, cold weather outfit and some additional furs, he was completely covered from head to toe and only a detailed examination would have revealed him as anything other than a tall humanoid. His snout was warmly wrapped up and yellow eyes peered out from somewhere deep in the hood.

He was relieved to find that he was not suffering the ill efects of the cold. The modified boots were tight but snug and warm.

He played with the little dragon whenever it grew bored and flew around perching. It was pleasant to have a reptilian companion but the serious druid found it far too whimsical. It lightened his mood and distracted him from thoughts of home and for that he was grateful. He tried asking polite questions about dragons to improve his lore on them. But it either knew little or did not wish to answer and he did not pursue it.

OOC: Sorry doing some ICU stuff and anticipate busy weeks ahead. will check in but a, pretty much a bystander unless combat. Feel free to interact with him. He will be evasive about himself and certain details about his tribe them. and if he's running he pobably won't talk much. I make Knowledge (nat) or Survival checks as and when needed of course.

Yoric_Steele
2006-05-15, 08:41 AM
Trinark, Drow Cleric of Eilistraee

Judging by the expressions and mood of the rest of the group, Trinark could see they were clearly bored. He however sat in awe of the surroundings and "countryside" as the others called it. He desperately squinted at the landscape trying to take in as much as he could. His blindness in the bright daylight frustrated him.

He kept careful watch over the rest of the group as best he could, given his blindness. He payed special attention to his Druid companion, he felt a special kinship in spite of their physical differences.

Upon arriving at the ferry, he was puzzled by the lack of an attendant.

"I suggest we set up our camp a short distance from here. Perhaps where we can observe the ferry crossing in case the boatman returns. I think we should be cautious."

blackfox
2006-05-15, 04:30 PM
Katrin

Katrin looks around, annoyed at the lack of a ferryman. "Do any of you know how to navigate one of these things? I sure don't," she says. She begins to look around the area, to see if anyone might have passed through the area recently.

Dr._Bob
2006-05-15, 08:33 PM
Yix plays hide and seek with anyone who is willing to chase him. As he zips from hiding place to hiding place, he hisses happily.

When he crests a nearby ridge, however, he freezes. A small two-story stone building is nestled along the riverbank.

He telepathically summons the rest of you, and you crouch behind the ridge looking down on the building.

No lights are on inside, and no smoke rises from its chimney.

runehawk
2006-05-16, 08:43 AM
Lizardkin Druid
Hearing the Katrin-woman speak, he nods sympathetically, even he wasn't keen on swimming in present weather.

Wondering what the fuss was about and half-suspecting it to be another game, the reptilian follows the others. He stares with mixed feelings at the dwelling.

Soluna
2006-05-16, 09:08 AM
Si'rene

I wonder what lives there Si'rene speaks quietly, staring down at the house.that could be where the ferryman lives.

kuja.girl
2006-05-16, 12:06 PM
Tiriel joins the others at the hill crest. She nods to Si'rene's statement.
"Well I don't think any of us want to swim and I know that I don't want to try a crossing unless we have someone who knows what they're doing. Some one should check the house; if someone's home maybe they can tell us where the ferryman is."

Spaz
2006-05-16, 03:37 PM
Yix

Yix looks turns from a playful one to a look of absolute seriousness. Yix throws out his chest and marches towards the house.

blackfox
2006-05-16, 04:36 PM
Katrin

"I'll go, too. But I'm staying in the shadows, I don't like the look of this." Ginevra starts towards the house.

Dr._Bob
2006-05-16, 05:37 PM
Yix bounds from rock to rock as he makes his way down the slope towards the silent building.

Ginevra disappears into the shadows, following the pseudodragon at a safe distance.

[hr]
Both floors have small windows, which have been shuttered against the winter chill. A sturdy oak door lies in the center of one of the first story walls.

All remains silent and still as the tiny lizard and the rogue approach the building ...

Dark_Stalion
2006-05-16, 07:28 PM
Karzak

Typical. They would have to cross water, wouldn't they. Couldn't they just be content with where they were? Karzak leans back against his beast of burdon which, in turn, leans into him. It seems to have got used to having him trotting along side it, and seems to enjoy his company on some kind of animalistic scale.

kuja.girl
2006-05-16, 09:45 PM
Tiriel unconsiously shreds grass stems as she watches Yix and Ginerva make their way to the building. When they get about 3/4 of the way there she stands up.
"I don't like this, I'm going to follow them in case they need help."
She slides down the far side of the hill (out of sight of the building) before wading through the snow towards the house.

Tiriel moves at a walk and is attempts to
move silently: (1d20+2=8) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=454600)

Spaz
2006-05-16, 10:34 PM
Yix

Yix pounds as loudly as he can on the door, crooning out, as if to ask if anyone is home.

Soluna
2006-05-16, 11:32 PM
Si'rene

Groaning at the little dragon, Si'rene picks up her bow, strings up an arrow and aims at the door, waiting. Silly little thing she thinks as she nocks the arrow.

Yoric_Steele
2006-05-17, 07:46 AM
Trinark, Drow Cleric of Eilistraee

Trinark continues to crouch behind the hill, observing the advance of the other members. As the light of day continues to fade, his vison continues to improve.

As a precaution, he draws his new sword and balances it across his knees. He goes through a quick mental exercise confirming his prepared spells.

He then waits for his companions to check out the cottage.

blackfox
2006-05-17, 08:47 PM
Katrin

Katrin stands outside the door, waiting. If no response comes from inside withing a couple of minutes, Katrin will try the door to see if it's locked. If it is, she will see if she can pick the lock.

Dr._Bob
2006-05-17, 09:39 PM
Tiriel slips over the ledge following Yix and Ginevra. Si'rene nocks an arrow and aims at the door a hundred feet away.

Ginevra freezes when the pseudodragon pounds at the base of the door, but when nobody responds, she steps forward out of the shadows and tests the lock.

The door swings open with a faint squeal of unoiled hinges at her touch. The room inside is pitch black ...

Dark_Stalion
2006-05-18, 04:50 AM
Karzak

Finally sencing something amis, Karzak readies his shield and brand new sword, looking to the others to divine his course of action. Noting teir positions, he moves towards the now open doorway and may even be the first in if others are too hesitant.

blackfox
2006-05-18, 07:54 AM
Katrin

Katrin thinks for a moment about removing her everburning torch from her pack, but decides against it for the time being. She enters the house, her hand on the hilt of her shortsword, looking around for any signs of life.

Soluna
2006-05-18, 11:35 PM
Si'rene

moving slowly forward, bow still aimed at the door, Si'rene gets forward enough where she has a clearer view of what is going on as far inside as she can.

Spaz
2006-05-19, 12:23 AM
Yix

Yix walks off to the side of the door, and sticks his head to look into the room. He quickly lets out a few growls here and there to see if anyone will respond. He then boldly steps through the door dissapearing into the dark room.

Dr._Bob
2006-05-19, 12:10 PM
Yix and Ginevra slip into the open doorway into the darkened room.

Long seconds pass while the rest of you wait uncomfortably outside.

Finally, Ginevra steps to the doorway and waves you in.

[hr]
The building is dark, with the shutters keeping out even the last rays of dusk. The first floor is empty, but it looks like there was some kind of battle here. Tables and chairs are overturned and jars and an oil lantern have been left smashed on the floor. Here and there dark splotches stain the hardwood floors, which creak as you walk over them.

You check the hearth, which is cold.

A stone staircase in the corner rises to a wooden trapdoor that presumably leads to the second floor.

blackfox
2006-05-19, 05:03 PM
Katrin

Katrin walks to the ladder, a suspicious expression on her faces, and climbs up easily to open the trapdoor. She sticks her head through the opening and peers around.

Yoric_Steele
2006-05-20, 07:23 AM
Trinark, Drow Cleric of Eilistraee

Upon seeing the wave from the doorway, Trinark rises and heads for the cottage.

When he sees the mess inside, he moves quietly around the room examining the dark spots. He searches for any clues as to might have attacked the owner of the cottage. (Presumably the Ferryman)

Dark_Stalion
2006-05-20, 08:50 AM
Karzak

The gnoll makes his way confidently into the building, folowing Katrina into the loft.

"Grrr, this place stinks of death."

[Ooc: assuming that the dark blotces are blood, of course.]

Spaz
2006-05-20, 05:06 PM
Yix

Yix poeks around in all the corners of the room, before continuing up after Katrin.

Dr._Bob
2006-05-20, 05:57 PM
Katrin climbs the stairs and carefully pushes open the trapdoor in the ceiling. Yix joins her, hopping up onto the second floor.

The upper level is as dark as the lower level. All is still and quiet. Yix is the first to see the bodies. Katrin's eyes take longer to register what she is seeing. In the shadows, four bodies dangle from the rafters, suspended by crudely knotted hemp rope.

[hr]
Down below, Trinark examines the first floor carefully for any signs of what happened here. His keen drow vision spots the telltale outline of a trapdoor cunningly hidden in the floor.

[hr]
The horses, left outside, whinny in alarm ...

kuja.girl
2006-05-21, 12:16 AM
Tiriel swears under her breath and rushes outside, sword at the ready. She'll move around the hill until she can clearly see the horses...

blackfox
2006-05-21, 08:04 AM
Katrin

Katrin's keen ears pick up the horses' cries. She curses and jumps through the trapdoor, grabbing the edge and swinging herself out and away from the ladder, landing neatly on the floor. She runs outside the house, drawing her shortsword, and moves around the opposite side of the hill that Tiriel went, trying to see what scared the horses.

(OOC: Jump check to jump down, d20+10=21 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=457658))

runehawk
2006-05-21, 08:06 AM
Lizardkin Druid

Ssathiyaa had not been keen to enter the house and had been waiting outside as more and more of the group had entered the hut, a startling thought had come to him.

This was how he had met his packmates, Fizahn and Thundervoice, a trap laid by Sethra with the remains of his kin.

Alarmed and with his instincts warning him, He peered over the ridge and cast {Detect Magic} the spell that allowed him to see the ether. With his keen eyesight he peered into the night trying to see and listen for anybody else out there.

The whinnying from the horses confirmed his thoughts and he swings his head back where they had left them. Motioning to Sy rene, he moves back to the horses taking a circuitous path. As he moves, he pulls off his gloves and stuff them in a pocket. He flexes his claws in readiness.

OOC: My actions in the past few rounds and my next action, which is to flank to the left and get back to the horses. I'll use my det magic as a scanning cone in front of me ;)
Spot: 19 + 3=21
Listen: 12 + 2=14

Yoric_Steele
2006-05-21, 02:54 PM
Trinark, Drow Cleric of Eilistraee

Upon hearing the sounds of activity outside, he makes a quick mark on the floor to identify the location of the trap door in the floor.

He then rises and readies his sword and shield, prepared to do battle if required.

Soluna
2006-05-21, 11:40 PM
Si'rene

Seeing the lizard druids nod, Si'rene starts towards the horses, arrow nocked and ready. She will stop as soon as she can get a clear line of site on the area where the horses are.

Dark_Stalion
2006-05-22, 11:59 AM
Karzak

Karzak throws himself away from the ladder to avoid a flying Katrin. Clawing himself off the floor, the Gnoll follows fumbling for his longsword that is getting tangled in his legs due to it's unfamiliar position.

Spaz
2006-05-22, 07:36 PM
Yix

Yix moves slowly, as he flaps his wings to approach the bodies, to inspect them. Whatever spooked the horses in not his concern at the moment, for he has been enthralled by what he has found.

Dr._Bob
2006-05-22, 09:15 PM
Yix flaps his wings as he inspects the bodies. His armor makes flying for extended periods of time difficult, but he is able to leap high enough to see the bodies at "eye level."

The bodies are in the early stages of decomposition. Two of the bodies appear to be half-eaten. One is little more than a torso. Its legs and pelvis are missing, and entrails dangle to the floor.

All four are, or were, men. The expressions of their faces suggest that they died gripped by terror.

[hr]
Sprinting to the doorway, you are just in time to see four giant humanoids rise from their hiding places under the rocks and snow. Their rubbery gray hides and long pointed noses make them immediately recognizable as trolls.

Ignoring the distressed horses behind them, they advance on the building, their trap sprung ...

kuja.girl
2006-05-22, 11:58 PM
Tiriel
When the trolls reveal themselves, Tiriel belatedly realizes what's happened.
"Crap. We feel for the simplist trick in the book," she growls before continuing through the doorway 5' towards the closest troll.
Once on level ground she holds her sword in front of her and momenterly closes her eyes to clear her head.

Initiative: 1d20+3=13 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=459038)
Tiriel enters total defense for the first round hoping that one of the trolls will be stupid enough to attack her.

blackfox
2006-05-23, 08:03 AM
Katrin

"Oh damn..." whispers Katrin angrily, seeing the trolls. "We should have known..." Thinking rapidly, she draws her shortsword, holding it in her right hand. With her left, she removes her everburning torch from her pack. It wouldn't actually hurt the trolls, but she hoped they might be scared of it. She moves slightly out of the doorway, holding her shortsword ready and waving the torch in a wide swath before her, trying to make sure that all the trolls saw the fire.

(Initiative: 1d20+3=17 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=459166))

runehawk
2006-05-23, 12:57 PM
Lizardkin Druid

Hearing the noise behind him, he sprints back to the ridge in time to see the huge forms moving towards the house.

"Semunaya", he curses.

He instantly recognises them {Know(Nat): Nat 20]}

Looking to S'irene who had sprinted back to their former position,
"Trolls!", he says not knowing the common word for them."Use fire. OR they not die".

Seeing the recognition in the skilled mercenary's eyes, he realised that she knew well enough how to deal with the beasts. Standing on the ridge he unties the thong lashing his tail around him, freeing it for comfort and balance and stretches out his hand summoning his sword of fire.
{OOC: Flame Sword}

He charges for the nearest troll, introspections of home and his current predicament forgotten. With a snarl, he relishes the simplicity of the moment.

the hunt...I go to it..

OOC: Is it more strategic for the party members in the house to not rush out but instead wait within forcing the trolls to enter one at a time? The bottleneck would mean one troll to 3 -4 party members?... Of course this means soluna .. and i have to deal with 3 impatient trolls outside.. but ... we'll manage :-/
Init: 14 +2=16
to hit{touch}: 6 +5=11 dmg:4+3=7

Spaz
2006-05-23, 02:38 PM
Yix


Yix is frightened somewhat from the bodies, and hastily makes his way out of the room, looking around for the others. He is seemingly unaware of the commotion outside, as his mind still dwells on the dead.

Yoric_Steele
2006-05-24, 09:34 AM
Trinark, Drow Cleric of Eilistraee

Hearing the growls of the enemies, Trinark instantly recognised what they were. *He had seen Trolls in the Underdark, and knew how dangerous they were.

Trinark quickly readies his sword and shield, perpared to do battle. *He moved a short way toward the door in an effort to see exactly how many foes they faced.

[OOC: *Initiative roll: 12 (+6) = 18]

Dark_Stalion
2006-05-24, 03:16 PM
Karzak

Finaly disengaging his sword from his sheath and his sheath from his legs the Gnoll manages to finally make it up and out of the house, readying his shield as he does so.

[Initiative: 1d20+1=7 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=460284)]

Dr._Bob
2006-05-24, 09:39 PM
Katrin, Si'rene and Tiriel form a perimeter just outside the doorway to the stone building.

The lizardman and gnoll join them outside, while Trinark stands just inside the doorway.

Yix leaps down to the first floor, not yet aware of the threat you are facing.

[hr]
The four trolls lope forward with surprising speed, spreading out as they charge so that you find yourselves attacked from three sides. Only the building at your backs keeps you from being totally surrounded.

Before you have time to react, they are upon you, slashing viciously with their wicked claws ...

Tiriel and the lizardman fend off the initial charge with their flaming swords, but claws rake Tiriel's shoulder even as she brings her sword back around to strike.

Ginevra/Katrin melts into the shadows, and Si'rene takes a small step back as she draws an arrow back ready to fire.

The gnoll swings his shield up just as a troll slashes at his flank. The claws scrape harmlessly off the tempered steel as Karzak raises his sword.




OOC: Tiriel takes 8 damage. Go ahead an make your attack and damage rolls vs the trolls' charging AC of 14. Don't forget that the trolls have a 10' reach, so you will need to move 5' to engage them in melee.

Soluna
2006-05-24, 11:43 PM
Si'rene

Letting the arrow finally fly true. Si'rene heeds the lizard man's suggestion and prepares to cast burning hands.

Spaz
2006-05-24, 11:52 PM
Yix

Yix is looks about in confusion for a second, seeing Trinark in the doorway he is momentarily calmed, until he hears the sounds of the combat outside. "Others?" Yix manages to ask Trinark, as he tries to grasp what is happening.

blackfox
2006-05-25, 08:10 AM
Katrin

Katrin decides to follow Si'rene's initiative and sheathes her sword, instead removing and loading her crossbow, her torch held under her arm. She holds the crossbow in one hand, the torch in the other. Taking sight on the troll Tiriel is attacking, she looses the bolt.

(OOC:Attack Roll--1d20+2=15 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=460821) I forgot to add the penalty for firing into melee.
Damage: 1d8=7 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=460823))

runehawk
2006-05-25, 01:32 PM
Lizardkin Druid

Reaching the house and mounting a stand with Si'rene, the druid realises how penned down they are and the need for reinforcements.

Moving a little behind, he tosses his sword to his shield hand and begins to cast a spell with new knowledge he had received.Finishing the gestures with his hand, he holds his Tooth and finishes uttering the words with ' agni' completing the spell.

OOC: Convert level 2 spell to Summon Nat ALLy II for small fire elemental behind the troll opposite him

He then takes back his fiery sword and moves back into battle.

Dark_Stalion
2006-05-25, 01:54 PM
Karzak

The Gnoll snarls as it thrusts it's sword back at the troll whose claws had almost disembowled him. Disgusting creatures, trolls. They had hunted his own tribe on occasions, and mostly they had run rather than fight the beastly things, but now was not a time he could run, cirtainly not with what he owed these creatures. It would at least be an honerable death.

[Ooc: Atack:1d20+9=14 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=461004), DMG: 1d8+4=11 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=461007)]

kuja.girl
2006-05-25, 04:48 PM
Tiriel reels from the troll's attack but recovers quickly and attacks the troll that hit her:

move 5', then
attack: (1d20+8=22) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=461073)
damage (1d8+5, 1d6=[2, 5], [4]) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=461075) = 7 and 4 fire dmg.

ooc: stupid troll must have rolled like a 24 to hit last round...

Dr._Bob
2006-05-25, 10:48 PM
The gnoll and Tiriel attempt to hold the trolls at bay while Si'rene and Katrin fire over their heads at the monsters. The lizardman falls back to where Trinark is standing at the doorway. Yix hops up onto the drow's shoulder to see what is happening ...

[hr]
Si'rene fires an arrow directly into one of the beast's neck. It roars in irritation, scrabbling at Tiriel to try to get at the elf archer, but Tiriel is able to fend off the troll with her flaming longsword.

Katrin's crossbow bolt strikes a troll in the shoulder with a dull thud, but then drops to the ground, having barely penetrated the giant's rubbery hide.

A small flame elemental appears behind the trolls and immediately swipes at one, setting the giant beast on fire! Almost comically, the beast rears up and spins around, stomping out the elemental with its feet, much as one of you might stop out an errant ember from a fireplace, while batting at the flames with its hands. The troll screams in agony ...

Satisfied, the lizardman moves foward to support his comrades, but is cut slightly by the third troll as he does so.

The gnoll growls in pleasure as his sword bites deeply into the fourth troll's flank, but the monstor ignores its wound and manages to work both sets of claws in between the gnoll's plate segments. The monster attempts to rip the gnoll's armor from his body, gnarled muscles straining as metal bolts as well as tendons pop.




OOC: Si'rene hits troll #1 for 8 damage. Katrin hits troll #2 for 5 damage. The lizardman summons a small fire elemental that immediately hits troll #3 for 6 damage (3 slam/3 fire) setting the troll on fire!

Tiriel hits troll #1 for 11 damage (7 slashing/4 fire). Karzak hits troll #4 for 11 damage.

Troll #1 misses Tiriel with two slashes (at +9 each). Troll #2 hits the lizardman once for 9 damage. Troll #3 hits the fire elemental once for 10 damage, snuffing it out.

Troll #4 hits the gnoll twice and rends for a total of 35 damage!

runehawk
2006-05-26, 02:38 AM
Lizardkin Druid

The reptilian roars back at the troll that had wounded him. He spins towards it and plunges his weapon into its head.


OOC: Critical 20 dmg: 6+1 x2 =14! woohoo

Dark_Stalion
2006-05-26, 07:02 AM
Karzak

The gnoll grunts in pain and, sevearly bloodied by the last assult, starts to think tactically rather than using the automatic respose of hitting the biggest thing as hard and fast as one can.

[Ooc: Going into Combat expertise mode with -4 penalty to atack and +4 to dodge (which is as far as he can go). Atack: 1d20+5=17 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=461474), DMG: 1d8+4=7 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=461475)]

kuja.girl
2006-05-26, 11:33 AM
Tiriel switches her fighting stance before closing on the same troll (#1)

2 handed grip: changes Tiriel's attack bonus to 7 (-1 from the buckler) and adds 2 to her damage

Attack/Damage (1d20+7=26, 1d8+7=12, 1d6=6) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=461570)
and because she got a crit (rolled 19): + 12
Total: 30 damage
:D

Spaz
2006-05-26, 06:32 PM
Yix


Yix stares in awe of the Trolls for a moment or two. He thens bounds off the drow's shoulder, and rushes forward to help the gnoll.

blackfox
2006-05-26, 07:36 PM
Katrin

Katrin loads her crossbow again in the same manner as before, and shoots at the same troll she'd hit before. The bolt flies wide, however, and Katrin curses in frustration.

(OOC: Attack Roll (1d20+6=8) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=461858))

Yoric_Steele
2006-05-26, 09:12 PM
Trinark, Drow Cleric of Eilistraee

Seeing the Gnoll in dire straits, Trinark abandons his original plan and steps forward to cast a heal spell on his Gnoll companion. He is careful to avoid attacks from the surrounding Gnolls. (Cast Defensively)

[OOC: Concentration Check - 10 (+7) = 17]

[OOC: Dumping Hold Person for Cure Moderate Wounds - 7, 7 (+3) = 17 points]

Dr._Bob
2006-05-27, 07:56 PM
Tiriel slashes mightily with her blade's hilt held in both hands. The flaming sword nearly cleaves the troll in half. As Tiriel rips her sword free, she is dismayed to see the troll's rubbery hide begin to knit back together almost instantly.

At that moment, Si'rene steps forward an unleashes a cone of flame that engulfs the troll. The giant beast collapses, writhing in agony, then lies still.

The second troll leaps over the first's burning body, lunging for Tiriel. She manages to avoid being grabbed, but the troll's claws leave deep gash on the inside of her forearm.

The third troll continues to burn, but ignoring its sizzling flesh, it continues to slash wildly at the lizardman. The druid expertly avoids its attacks, and crisscrosses the troll's body with deep slashes from his flame blade that neither bleed nor heal.

Karzak settles into a defensive posture, thrusting and slashing at the troll's limbs whenever it lashes out. The gnoll avoids any further damage, but the wounds he inflicts seem to heal almost as quickly as they are made. Just as he begins to despair, he feels Trinark's cool touch on his back and a surge of energy runs through his body.

Yix leaps to the attack, flitting about the troll's face. The troll breaks off his attack on the gnoll and bats at the pseudodragon, as if trying to shoo away a gnat ...




OOC: Tiriel hits. Si'rene casts burning hands. Troll #1 drops. Tiriel takes 9 points of damage. The lizardman hits. Karzak hits. Karzak is partially healed by Trinark. Yix can make an attack and damage roll (don't forget to include a size bonus).

Spaz
2006-05-27, 11:57 PM
Yix

Yix's tail flitting around only serves as a minor annoyance of the strikes don't even seem to break the troll's thick skin (Attack Roll: 13)
(Sorry about that didn't know if I could attack with the moving and all.)


Yix moves in to bite at the Troll's hand, hoping to be more than just a minor annoyance. With a quick thrust forward Yix manages to grab ahold of the Troll's hand.

(Bite Attack Roll: 11+6=17 Dmg:1 (yay Small goobers!) Don't know what I would have to roll to try and stay attached to keep the hand weighted down.)

runehawk
2006-05-28, 06:16 AM
Lizardkin Druid

The lizardkin sidesteps the troll's lunge, his shield held forward and thrusts backward into the side of the troll as it lunges.

A victorious bestial roar from the lizardman marks him as a non-human to any within earshot.

OOC: hit 15(10+5) dmg 9(8+1)
If tiriel is nearer to him than to Trinark than he will move(minimising AoOs) to heal her instead and return to finish the troll in the next round. but all i have is a CLW.

blackfox
2006-05-28, 08:09 AM
Katrin

Katrin, seeing that Tiriel is seriously wounded, drops the torch, loading her crossbow, raising it, and firing. However, the bolt simply bounces off the troll's rubbery skin. Biting her lip, she reaches for her shortsword...

(OOC: Attack Roll (1d20+4=10) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=463035))

kuja.girl
2006-05-28, 05:57 PM
Tiriel grimices in pain. She has two choices: continue attacking or back away and heal.

since there are three trolls and they have a 10' reach, Tiriel will incure at least 1 AoO if she tries to leave combat - Since that has an equal chance of killing her, she'll take her chances and attack instead.

...too bad she misses with a 12 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=463281).

Dark_Stalion
2006-05-29, 08:46 AM
Karzak

Disgusted by the inefficiency of the sword, Karzak drops it, pulling out his trusty trident. Maybe this would fare better. It was magical, afterall, and normally inflicted deeper wounds.

[OoC: Attack roll 1d20+10=26, dmg roll 1d8+5=10]

Dr._Bob
2006-05-29, 02:08 PM
The gnoll plunges his trident into the troll, while Yix ferociously stings its hand. The troll swats at Karzak, drawing more blood, but seems unaffected by the pseudodragon's poison.

The puncture wounds in the troll's hide begin to heal almost immediately.

The lizardman is about to press the attack on the other troll, but he sees that Tiriel is badly wounded. He sacrifices his attack to instead heal his comrade. In doing so, he exposes his back briefly and feels searing pain as the troll's claws rake across his shoulderblades.

Tiriel and Katrin fall back before the burning troll's attacks. It is all they can do to keep from being mauled.



OOC: The lizardman heals Tiriel for 10 points, but is hit for 7 damage. Karzak hits troll #4 for 10 damage, but is hit back for 8 damage. Yix hits for 1 damage, but the troll succeeds on its Fort save. The rest of the attacks on both sides miss.

blackfox
2006-05-29, 08:37 PM
Katrin

Katrin draws her sword, holding her crossbow in her left hand rather than dropping it, so it won't get damaged. Stabbing at the troll, she growls in frustration as the blade slides off the beast's hide.

(OOC: Attack Roll (1d20+8=10) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=464324))

Dark_Stalion
2006-05-30, 07:35 AM
Karzak

Karzak redoubles his attack in furios anger at the Troll's persistance.

[Ooc: ATK: 1d20+10=22 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=464778), DMG: 1d8+5=13 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=464780). Woot, MAX! If only I'd crit.]

Spaz
2006-05-31, 11:56 AM
Yix


Yix watches his prey, the Troll's hand, and waits for it to moves towards him again. He rears back and lunges forwards jaws wide open to intercept the incoming hand. His teeth powered by his tiny jaws clamp down on the Troll's hand, not much damage is caused, but Yix desperaely tries to hold on to the Troll's hand.

((Bite: 18+6=24 Damage: 1))

Yoric_Steele
2006-05-31, 02:20 PM
Trinark, Drow Cleric of Eilistraee

Watching the tide of battle, Trinark sees the need to fallback into the building. His thoughts are quickly echoed by his comrades, as they begin to fall back to a more defensive position.

Before moving too far from the Gnoll, Trinark elects to cast another healing spell. (Casting Defensively again)

[OOC: Concentration check - 16 (+7) = 23]

[OOC: Dumping Remove Paralysis for Cure Moderate Wounds - 2, 5, (+3) = 10]

Dr._Bob
2006-06-01, 01:00 AM
The trolls press forward, driving you back into the relative safety of the building. "Fall back!" someone cries.

Karzak growls as he rips his trident free of the troll's body and backs towards the doorway. The others follow suit, keeping the trolls at bay as best they can.

Yix is the last to slip through. As soon as the pseudodragon is inside, Karzak and the lizardman use their strength to force the oak door closed.

Trinark lays a hand on the gnoll's back, healing some of his wounds. The rest of you look at each other uneasily, breathing heavily.

[hr]
Heavy blows rain against the oak beams of the door, and it takes the combined effort of your strongest members to keep the portal closed.

You are safe for the moment, but trapped, and the door won't hold forever ...

Dark_Stalion
2006-06-01, 07:03 AM
Karzak

"This won't hold for ever. Believe me, I know." Putting all his weight into the door, he looks back towards the trapdoor, ferile eyes frowning in thought.

kuja.girl
2006-06-01, 11:27 AM
Tiriel
Still breathing heavily, Tiriel asks.
"Did anyone find out what was upstairs?"

Yoric_Steele
2006-06-02, 08:51 AM
Trinark, Drow Cleric of Eilistraee

Once inside Trinark scans the interior of the cottage looking for a lamp or lantern that might contain some oil.

"Take a quick look around and see if you can find anything flamable that we can use against those beasts!"

He will also check out the trap door he found earlier, to see if its possible to open it.

Dark_Stalion
2006-06-02, 09:46 AM
Karzak

The Gnoll answers Tiriels question, inbetween grunts of exertion against the troll's entry.

"Only the carion of their previos feast."

kuja.girl
2006-06-02, 12:26 PM
Tiriel
"Drat, then trying to bottle-neck them up there may not be such a good idea."
Seeing Trinark trying to open what seems to be a trap door on the floor, Tiriel offers to help.

Spaz
2006-06-02, 01:19 PM
Yix

Yix piles himself against the door along with the others pushing as hard as his little stubby legs will let him.

Dr._Bob
2006-06-03, 01:19 AM
Yix pushes and pushes.

Trinark and Tiriel pull, lifting the trapdoor in the floor, revealing a 5' x 5' square hole. The opening leads to a dark earthen cellar beneath the floorboards.

runehawk
2006-06-03, 08:00 AM
Lizardkin Druid

A soft groan escapes from the reptilian. He was beside Karzak bracing the door flaming sword in one hand and shield against door.

"Not under the earth again.."

He had taken some serious injuries and wound wince at an especially hard slam.

blackfox
2006-06-03, 08:35 AM
Katrin

Pacing about in front of the door, Katrin watches Tiriel and Trinark open the trapdoor. Once it is open. Katrin jumps down into the cellar, looking around for anything that might be flammable--oil, casks or bottles of alcoholic drinks, even old rags.

(OOC: I'm assuming that the drop isn't very long--I can roll a Jump check to jump down if Katrin would take damage from the fall.)

kuja.girl
2006-06-03, 03:54 PM
Tiriel
Steps back away from the opening she helped open up - she reaches into her travle pack and pulls out 3 potions of CLW. She tosses one down before heading over to the door. Once there she tries to figure out how to give the gnoll and lizardman the potions without having the door and the trolls come crashing in....

Potion of CLW - (1d8+1=5) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=468627)
Tiriel's HP is now at 21

OOC: RH and DS - Tiriel will swap positions with one of you at a time so you can take the potions; or if you have a hand free, you can probaly chug one...

Dr._Bob
2006-06-05, 01:12 AM
The trolls continue to batter at the door. Karzak and the lizardman strain against the door from the inside. The old oak creaks and groans. It will not hold for long.

Tiriel draws three vials from her pack, administering one to the lizardman and to the gnoll, as they continue to hold the door closed. She swallows the contents of the third potion herself.

Katrin leaps down into the cellar, holding her everburning torch in one hand. The others peer down through the trapdoor after her.

The cellar is shallow and damp. A number of small barrels lie stacked against one wall. Roughly a dozen moldy sacks are piled haphazardly against the other wall. There is a body lying next to the lumpy sacks. It appears to be a teenaged girl, barefoot and wearing only a simple tunic. Her hair is disheveled and covers her face as she lies motionless on the floor.

runehawk
2006-06-05, 03:58 AM
Lizardkin Druid

The lizardman had been surprised to feel a hand grasp the side of his facae and thrust a bottle into his maw. Looking at the woman he had just saved, he wondered what she was doing until he felt the restorative effects kick in.

Aaah... minty

He nods in appreciation, his tongue snaking out lazily a few times.

As splinters fly from the door and light starts shining thru, he narrows his eyes,"They come", he voices in a low but clearly audible volume.

Thinking back to how the chanter(Tychus) could inspire them, he wished he was with them right now.

blackfox
2006-06-05, 08:12 AM
Katrin

Katrin quickly opens one of the barrels to see what it contains, hoping it's oil.

(OOC: If the substance in the barrel is flammable, Katrin will hand a couple of barrels up to Trinark, telling him what's in them, and come out of the cellar. She'll try to get up to the attic with the barrels so she can light them on fire and throw them on the trolls. If Katrin can't lift a barrel by herself, or the barrels don't contain something flammable, then she'll go up to the attic and try to shoot her crossbow down at the trolls.)

Dark_Stalion
2006-06-05, 01:21 PM
Karzak

In thanks for the refreshing beverage the gnoll lets out a single growl.

"Hurry!"

Spaz
2006-06-05, 04:39 PM
Yix


Yix backs away from the door and assumes a fighting stance. His eyes narrow as he looks to what is beyond the door and what appears to be a snarl escapes from his tiny throat.

Dr._Bob
2006-06-06, 08:57 PM
Ignoring the body lying on the ground behind her, Katrin frantically checks the small wooden barrells. Fortunately, the barrels are fairly small and easy for Katrin to handle. The first four she opens contain either vinegar or ale, but the next two appear to contain lamp oil. She quickly passes them up to her companions above, then she lifts herself out of the cellar.

Si'rene heads up the stairs to the second floor, while Yix takes up a defensive position across from the oak door.

The door begins to give way. The lizardman and gnoll are forced to step back to avoid being clawed.




OOC: Who stays on the first floor and who moves to the second?

kuja.girl
2006-06-06, 11:38 PM
Tiriel
Will stay on the first floor and will corrdinate with Karzak and the lizardman so that they are able to get the maximum amount of bonuses/hits on the trolls when the door gives way. But before she does that, she'll castes Protection from Evil* on herself, and if time allows, Karzak and the lizardman.
She'll point out that those who go above should probaly focus on pouring lantern oil/setting on fire, the trolls that will hopefully still be outside...


Tiriel's basic plan:
http://img353.imageshack.us/img353/7127/theplan2jr.jpg

[ooc: This is the best battle plan that I could come up with. Tiriel, Karzak and Ssathiya's positions are interchangable, anyone else have any ideas?]


*PfE grants +2 to AC and saves

Dark_Stalion
2006-06-07, 08:42 AM
Karzak

Karzak dodges the claws that are now starting to rake through the holes in the door as best he can. He's prepared to ready his shield and trident for when the door finally does give way.

[Ooc: It's pretty much how I envisioned it. How are we going to incorperate the oil? Throw it on the pair waiting outside and light it like that?]

runehawk
2006-06-07, 11:05 AM
Lizardkin Druid

Ssathiya makes an aggressive hissing sound and readies a stance.Shield held forward and sword above his head, he waits for the trolls to enter.

Turning around to inspect the relative positions of everyone, he catches the eyes of his friend and companion in this long sojourn. A few wisps of stray white hair cover those eyes.

"We will watch the sunrise tommorrow. This I swear"

Turning back to the door he casts one final spell to delay the frenzied trolls.

OOC: Entangle on the outside and if applicable inside just before the level where the gnoll and the lizardman stand. My intention is to delay the rush of the trolls and add a distraction while we surround them. thank you

Spaz
2006-06-07, 11:32 AM
Yix


Yix jumps a little when the claws begin to come through the door, he looks around at the others and quickly readies himself again. "We shall get them" Yix broadcasts to all that are around.

kuja.girl
2006-06-07, 12:03 PM
Tiriel
responds to Yix, "I think they need your help upstairs. You can help them drop oil on the trolls.

blackfox
2006-06-07, 04:34 PM
Katrin

Katrin, holding one of the barrels, dashes upstairs with it, looking for a window or other opening above the door of the building. She hacks a small piece of wood out of the floor with her dagger, and, opening the barrel, dips it in the oil, leaving part of it dry. Leaning out the window, Katrin throws the oil over the trolls still outside. Using her flint, she lights the oil-soaked wood and quickly drops the flaming splinter on the nearest troll.

(OOC: I realise these actions will take more than one round, but I thought it would be less confusing to post them all at once.)

Dr._Bob
2006-06-08, 10:49 AM
With a kkkkrackk!!! the oak door finally splinters and gives way.

The lead troll squeezes through the doorway only to become entangled by the lizardman druid's spell.

Tiriel and Karzak attack the pinned troll from opposite sides.

[hr]
Meanwhile, Katrin sprints up to the second floor with Yix on her shoulder.

Yix assists her by tearing up wood fragments to be used as tinder while Katrin pours the oil over the trolls down below.

To their dismay, they notice that the "dead" troll seems to have recovered and is back on his feet. That makes three trolls stuck outside with the fourth stuck in the doorway between Tiriel and Karzak.

Howling as the oil lands on them, the trolls look up and see Katrin in the window above. Two of the trolls begin to look for handholds so that they can climb the walls.



OOC: Tiriel and Karzak get flanking attacks. The troll is entangled and also subject to a penalty for "squeezing" through the narrow (for it) doorway. Go ahead and roll attacks and damage (indicate how much of any attacks are flaming).

Tiriel is able to cover the three remaining trolls with oil, but each piece of tinder can hit at most one troll. Perhaps Yix can help "bomb" the trolls ...

runehawk
2006-06-08, 05:42 PM
Lizardman Druid

Snarling in anger, the lizardman shifts his weight to his forward foot and side steps forward, slicing an arm.

OOC: touch hit (12) dmg:7 (flaming)
declare dodge vs. troll i'm fighting
will the trolls outside be affected by the entangle radius as well?
*sigh*it's times like these i wish i spat acid.

kuja.girl
2006-06-08, 10:47 PM
Tiriel
Attack w/+2 flanking: (1d8+9=11) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=472232)
but this should hit since:14 = Troll base AC
-4 = squeezing
= 10, or lower AC as he also gets a and a -4 to DEX for being entangled.
Damage: (1d8+7=13, 1d6=4) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=472233) = 17, 4 of which is Fire damage.

Tiriel does not move this round...
reference for attack/defend modifiers (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/combatModifiers.htm)

Dark_Stalion
2006-06-09, 06:01 AM
Karzak

Karzak's lips twitch, mabe in immitation of a smile.

"We will see the sun rise."

Leaping sideways to avoid the incoming troll, Karzak wirls to ready his shield and trident. [Attack roll: 1d20+12=13 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=472384), Damage roll: 1d8+5=7 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=472386)] piercing the troll's hide.

blackfox
2006-06-09, 08:17 AM
Katrin

Katrin lights the oil-soaked splinters with her flint and steel, trying to reach Yix with her mind. Yix, can you fly out the window and drop one of these on a troll? She holds out a splinter to him, and, leaning out a window, drops a splinter herself, onto the nearest climbing troll.

Spaz
2006-06-09, 05:04 PM
Yix

Yix grabs the splinter and makes for the window. He jumps and brandishing the splint like a spear as he aims for the Troll that nobody else targeted, trumpeting as he falls down onto the Troll, and beating his wings only to slow his fall.

Dr._Bob
2006-06-09, 09:29 PM
The troll in the doorway shrieks in frustration as he is attacked from multiple directions. Muscles straining, it breaks free of the entangling vegetation and fixes its yellow eyes on Tiriel and her flaming sword.

[hr]
The trolls outside do their best to avoid the combination of the druid's entangle spell and the oil from above, but the two trolls who were attempting to climb the walls are set aflame by the "matches" dropped on them by Yix and Katrin.

The pseudodragon streaks downward and peels off as he delivers the burning splinter and sets his troll on fire. He skids to a stop on the ground below, unable to fly back to the upper story window with his armor on.

Si'rene pokes her upper body out of the upper window and fires an arrow into the back of one of the trolls.



OOC: The troll inside breaks free of the entangle spell using a full round action. Tiriel, the lizardman and the gnoll can make another series of attacks. Two of the trolls outside catch on fire.

kuja.girl
2006-06-09, 11:14 PM
Tiriel
Smirks as she locks eyes with the ugly brute. She reassuringly grips her sword in both hands and attacks the troll with an upward slash.

attack/dmg./fire dmg. (1d20+7=23, 1d8+7=12, 1d6=2) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=473034)
the 2 is Fire damage

ooc: so did Tiriel get to cast Protection from Evil on her friends before the trolls stormed in???

blackfox
2006-06-10, 11:04 AM
Katrin

Katrin smirks as the trolls begin to burn, but wastes no time loading and firing her crossbow out of the window at the troll she set on fire. The bolt fails to penetrate the troll's hide, however, and Katrin ducks back inside.

(OOC: Attack Roll (1d20+8=11) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=473176) The trolls loses its Dex. bonus to AC, but I still need a 14 to hit. What a lousy time to roll a 3. :-/)

Yoric_Steele
2006-06-10, 09:53 PM
Trinark, Drow Cleric of Eilistraee

As Trinark emerges from the cellar he realizes he had lingered too long below trying to communicate with the frightened human.

Seeing that the situation was desperate but somewhat stable he began confidently speaking a prayer asking for Eilistraee's blessing. {Casting: Bless}

[OOC: DR, the Bless AoE states a "50 foot burst", your judgement call if the PCs on the second floor will be affected by the spell.]

Dr._Bob
2006-06-10, 10:15 PM
Still halfway in and halfway out of the doorway, the lead troll tears at Tiriel, but her armor, aided by her protective spell, saves her from its claws.

Outside, two of the trolls are engulfed in flame and drop off the wall. The third troll takes a flying leap and grabs onto the rough stones of the cottage wall, scrambling upward towards the second story window.



OOC: Protection from evil is in effect for Tiriel. Bless is in effect for the party members on the first and second floors of the house. Yix is too far away (outside) to be affected by Trinark's bless spell.

EDIT: Corrected protection from evil effect.

runehawk
2006-06-11, 01:37 PM
Lizardkin Druid

Catching sight of the recovering trolls outside only intensified his will to triumph over them. He slashes an arm snaking for the human.

OOC:Touch Attack roll=14 +5 +1 hit dmg=5 (fire)

------------------------------------------------------
As the troll stretches out both arms towards Tiriel, Ssathiya sees the dogman grin wickedly at the exposed hamstrings and nod to him. They attack in concert.

OOC:Touch Attack: 21 = 15 +5+1 hit dmg=6 (fire)

OOC: sorry for the previous and current round. Cmon DS

blackfox
2006-06-11, 04:42 PM
Katrin

Katrin reloads, and shoots her crossbow down at the climbing troll. The bolt punches through the thick skin of the troll, and Katrin ducks out of sight inside.

(OOC: Attack Roll (1d20+9=17) Forgot to add the Bless bonus, but it's a hit anyways (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=474475)
Damage Roll (1d8+2=7) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=474480))

Spaz
2006-06-11, 10:36 PM
Yix

Yix tries to run around underneath the Trolls legs with his tail flitting from Troll to the other.

kuja.girl
2006-06-11, 11:13 PM
Tiriel
"I...am...getting.....really....sick...of....these ...guys!"
Tiriel emphasizes each word as she swings her sword around and slices into the trollís stomach.

attack (w.bless)/dmg./fire dmg. (1d20+8=16, 1d8+7=9, 1d6=6) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=474679)
Total = 14 (6 fire).

Yoric_Steele
2006-06-12, 06:41 PM
Trinark, Drow Cleric of Eilistraee

Trinark stays just out of reach of the Troll lodged in the doorway. Rather than get entangled in the melee, he chose to hang back in the event one of his comrades needs to be healed.

[OOC: I'm here and I'm ready, I figure Trinark will play medic as needed. :) ]

Dark_Stalion
2006-06-12, 07:08 PM
Karzak

Karzak snears at the troll as he pokes his pointy stick (otherwise known as a trident) in it's general direction. [1d20+12=26 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=475279), 1d8+5=13 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=475280)]

Dr._Bob
2006-06-15, 11:03 AM
Karzak's trident passes through the troll's throat, and the rubbery giant drops to the floor and lies still. Almost immediately, another troll (still smoking from the burning oil) is in the doorway, scrabbling with its claws, trying to squeeze through the narrow doorway while avoiding the entangling tendrils writhing about its legs.

Yix zigs and zags between the third troll's legs, his stinger flicks left and right, and the troll roars and tumbles to the ground. It attempts to roll back and forth in the snow to extinguish the flames that still burn across its hide, but its movements begin to slow as Yix's poison set in, and eventually it lies still, flames still cracking across its back.

Yix watches his handiwork with satisfaction.

[hr]
The fourth troll squeezes through the upper level window. Si'rene and Katrin back up until they bump into the cadavers suspended from the ceiling. The rotted bodies sway back and forth as the troll closes in with its fangs and claws bared ...

blackfox
2006-06-15, 06:51 PM
Katrin

Katrin ducks around the bodies, scowling at the smell. Not wanting to get within reach of the troll's raking claws, she reloads her crossbow, takes aim at the troll, and fires. The bolt hits the troll squarely, and punches through its thick skin.

(OOC: Attack Roll (1d20+8=20) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=478329)
Damage Roll (1d8+2=6) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=478331))

kuja.girl
2006-06-15, 11:27 PM
Tiriel

Just as Tiriel starts feeling a bit let down because she no longer has a target. A loud noise from upstairs reminds her that there is still one more troll who has just found her friends.

Tiriel runs to and up the stairs, heading for the trap door that leads to the attic.

ooc:
DR.Bob - PM'd you.
& I'm assuming that this post will replace my last post since Tiriel's action didn't happen.

Dark_Stalion
2006-06-16, 12:30 PM
Karzak

Karzak sets about hacking at the remains of the trolls with his sword, making sure that none of them will ever walk again.

[Ooc: Basically hacking them to so many pieces that a zombification spell would not work.]

runehawk
2006-06-16, 01:22 PM
Lizardkin Druid

Swinging his scimitar into a ready position the treptilian waits for the remaining troll to advance.

OOC: To Hit: 7= 1+ 5+1 oh crap

Spaz
2006-06-16, 01:42 PM
Yix

Yix rushes at the Troll now charging into the doorway making to bite it in the ankle, but finding that his jaws only close upon air.

(Attack:2+6=8)

Dr._Bob
2006-06-17, 10:16 PM
A cry from upstairs warns Tiriel that her friends, Si'rene and Katrin, are facing another troll in the attic.

She turns from the doorway and, accompanied by a sudden rush of wind, she leaps up and through the trapdoor in the ceiling in a single bound.

The lizardman and Karzak have hardly any time for her astounding leap to register, because the other troll is through the doorway, clawing ferociously at them.

This troll is larger than the others were, and it easily knocks aside Karzak's trident and even the lizardman's flame blade. With a roar, it tears at the gnoll's armor, rending the steel like wet parchment. Blood sprays across the floor and ceiling as the gnoll is nearly eviscerated ...

A flash of movement at the troll's feet tells the lizardman that Yix is still valiantly aiding in the battle with the giant monster.


OOC: Karzak takes a total of 30 damage. Si'rene, Katrin, and Tiriel will get one more attack against the upstairs troll before it wriggles through the window ...

runehawk
2006-06-18, 07:36 AM
Lizardkin Druid
The lizardman teeter off-balance momentarily before recovering. Seeing his dogman friend being ripped into, evokes cold fury in him.

Becoming a little reckless, he reverses his grip on the weapon and swings his shield back onto his back before running and jumping. He slams onto the back of the troll burying it into the troll's upper back.

OOC: 13 +2 +5 +1 Dmg: 5+1 (flaming =6)
Trying to distract the troll from Karzak. Yoric I hope you can heal Karzak or help me with this troll.
New AC: 21

blackfox
2006-06-18, 08:45 AM
Katrin

Katrin curses as she hears the troll's tremendous attack from below. She reloads again and shoots at the troll, knowing it will just heal itself later, but having no other options at the moment.

(OOC: Attack Roll (1d20+8=20) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=481384)
Damage Roll (1d8+2=10) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=481389))

Spaz
2006-06-18, 04:41 PM
Yix


Yix abandons his tail as he sees and feels blood splatter on him. He looks around wildly before finding and slamming his head behind the Troll's knee, hoping to knock it down.


(I don't exactly know what I would add to that, but I rolled an 8)

kuja.girl
2006-06-19, 01:47 AM
Tiriel

"Try to help the ones downstairs, I'll try to hold this one off!" Tiriel tells her friends before closing the gap between her and the troll.

As Tiriel attacks the troll she has a sudden revalation: a charge with a shield could easily punch the troll out of the window as it tries to wiggle through.

But Tiriel doesn't have a shield.
She has a sword; a long sharp object used to stab or slice. She decides to use stabing for now, followed by a bit of burning.

Tiriel uses Power Attack to subtract 4 from her attack modifier, which adds a +8 to damge since she is weilding her sword in both hands.
attack/dmg./fire (1d20+4=13, 1d8+15=19, 1d6=3) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=482351)

but as she nears the troll her concentration slips and her sword digs a gouge out of the window frame.

ooc: off by 1!!!! ahh there goes 22 damage down the drain...

Dark_Stalion
2006-06-19, 02:47 PM
[Oh, i miscounted.]

Karzak

Karzak staggers from the rending claws. Bloodied and matting fur congealing, he gives into his ferile instincts and stikes out at the troll. [1d20+10=15 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=482942) this is without flanking bonus. Don't know if it still applies. If it does then it's 17. 1d8+5=6 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=482948)]

Yoric_Steele
2006-06-19, 09:29 PM
Trinark, Drow Cleric of Eilistraee

Trinark works his way around to the Gnoll, making sure to stay away from the Troll as much as possible. He casts a small healing spell on the Gnoll warrior.

[OOC: Cast Cure Light Wounds, 5 + 3 = 8 points healed.]

Sorry folks, I'm out of 2nd level spells.

Dr._Bob
2006-06-20, 10:26 PM
The troll upstairs looks like some kind of grotesque pincushion with all of the arrows and crossbow bolts sticking out of it. Si'rene and Katrin fall back, firing as they do so, but their missiles hardly seem to faze the misshaped giant beast.

With a cry, Tiriel charges the troll, her flaming sword roaring as it arcs through the air. Surprisingly nimble for a creature so large, the troll twists away from her sword and rakes its claws across her chest. Her breastplate buckles with a kapang! but the armor holds.

[hr]
Down below, Karzak ignores his wounds as he plunges his trident yet again into the troll's body. Trinark claps his hands on the gnoll's back and, as he prays to Eilistraee, the flow of blood spilling onto the floor is staunched somewhat.

Unfortunately, now that the troll has its claws on Karzak, it apparently has no intentions of letting go. The giant monster picks up the gnoll and shakes him like a rag doll.

Yix's jaws snap at the troll's heels in an attempt to distract it, but to no avail. Karzak's spine snaps with an audible crack!

Howling, the lizardman brings down his flame blade on the troll's neck, decapitating it. The giant beast collapses instantly, like a puppet from the guignol whose strings have been cut.

The druid, drow and pseudodragon rush to the aid of the gnoll, whose body lies twisted on the floor, his back folded at an impossible angle ...

kuja.girl
2006-06-20, 11:09 PM
Tiriel

Unaware of the turmoil and drama downstairs, Tiriel audiably hurls herself at the remaining troll:

::Tiriel uses Power Attack to subtract 3 from her attack roll and add 6 to damage (if it hits)::

attack: (1d20+5=21) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=485163)
dmg./fire: (1d8+13=21, 1d6=3) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=485167)
total = 24

blackfox
2006-06-21, 12:17 PM
Katrin

Katrin takes aim on the troll carefully to avoid hitting Tiriel, and looses the bolt. The bolt streaks towards the troll's eye, but is deflected slightly, burying itself in the troll's skin.

(OOC: Attack Roll (1d20+4=23) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=485931) I forgot the penalty for firing into melee.
Crit (1d20+4=10) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=485932)
Damage (1d8+2=10) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=485934))

Yoric_Steele
2006-06-21, 12:23 PM
Trinark, Drow Cleric of Eilistraee

Rushing to his side, Trinark examines his Gnoll companion quickly. *Even he is forced to admit there isn't much hope.

"Such a terrible waste" he mutters, mostly to himself.

Suddenly realizing they could still be in danger, he looks to his friends, "We should burn the bodies quickly, before they have a chance to rise again."

Trinark will start dragging the bodies outside so they can be burned.

Spaz
2006-06-21, 03:07 PM
Yix


Yix stands over the gnoll's body silently lamenting.

runehawk
2006-06-21, 10:46 PM
Lizardkin Druid

The 'snap' ssathiya heard rang as a death knell for the dog-man who lay there broken. He paused; about to stoop over and check the fallen warrior when a crash above him alerted him that fierce combat still raged abocve him.

Roaring out,
"RAAAAAAAAA!!!!"

he lunges upwards sword forward, warm air from the blade buffeting him as he ran into it.

Cloudhair was a better healer than him. If there was any hope left for the dogman, it only lay in his hands.

The last sight he catches as he races up is his dark friedn kneeling next to the hairy form, anguish on his face.

OOC: This post precedes Yoric's and I didn't know what to post when i read Kaz's death either. I hope DS is picking up the paladin he talked about. I've enjoyed RPing with him.

Dr._Bob
2006-06-23, 01:35 PM
Tiriel plunges her sword deep into the raging troll. The monster roars in pain. Its face is close enough to hers for her to smell his foul, humid breath. It grabs her arm with one massive hand and reaches out with his other hand to rip off her head ...

Thwip! Twang! Si'rene and Katrin shoot the troll from nearly point blank range. Both missiles burrow deep into the troll's neck. The troll's eyes roll up into his skull and it topples backwards with a loud THUMP!

The druid pops his head up through the trapdoor, flame blade ready. Assessing the situation quickly, he hisses "Burn it!" Then the druid scrambles back down to the first floor.

[hr]
Karzak is beyond even Trinark's power to save. The gnoll's eyes stare glassily up at the ceiling until Yix gently reaches forward and closes his eyelids.

Trinark stands and begins the gruesome task of dragging the trolls' body parts outside to be burned. Some of the dismembered parts quiver as their muscles continue to contract. Sinews and tendons seem to be visibly trying to reknit themselves even while more oil is retrieved to create a giant bonfire.

Spaz
2006-06-23, 06:05 PM
Yix

Yix stands there awestruck as he brings his hand back down at his side. He stands there with moisture bremming in his eyes, until he finally raises his and lets out a mournful cry. He wipes his eyes, and slowly begins to help with the burning of the troll's bodies.

kuja.girl
2006-06-23, 11:51 PM
Tiriel
hacks the troll's body into easily managable pieces before tossing them down to the ground outside. Hearing a mornful sound, she heads downstairs.

When she see's gnoll's body she quickly rushes to join the others in mourning the loss of their friend.
"It should have been me..." she wispers to herself, "I'm sorry I wasn't there."
While visiably upset, she squares her sholders goes outside. She suddenly remembers about her horse (and all the others), she will go find them before joining Trinark in the grusome task of buring the remains of the trolls.

blackfox
2006-06-24, 12:35 PM
Katrin

Coming down the stairs, Katrin sees Karzak's body and starts, stopping in her tracks. She looks at the ground silently, and jumps down to the cellar to help pass up oil casks. She never says a word, and her expression is grim.
________________________________________________

Seeing the body in the cellar again, Katrin calls up to whoever is above her, "...We should... We should take down the... the bodies in the attic and bury them properly, once we've taken care of the trolls." After the trolls are permanently disposed of, she walks over to the body in the cellar, and, grasping her by the shoulder, shakes her. She had a sneaking suspicion that the girl wasn't really dead--the trolls probably couldn't open the cellar door in the first place.

Dr._Bob
2006-06-25, 10:08 AM
Thick black smoke rises into the cold, clear winter night. Looking up into the sky, you can see the moon waxing bright. It will be full within a few days.

The trolls burn with an oily thick stench. You watch their body parts carefully until they turn to ash. Si'rene and Tiriel cut down the cadavers from the rafters, but the ground is too hard to dig into to bury them. Instead, their bodies are added to the funeral pyre and Trinark offers a prayer to Eilistraee on their behalf.

[hr]
Down below in the cellar, Katrin kneels next to the body of the girl. Perhaps she is still alive?

Katrin places a hand on her shoulder. Her skin is waxy and cold. Rolling the body over, Katrin sees that it is too late. The long gash across the girl's belly appears to have been the cause of death. She must have managed to somehow make it to the cellar, only to bleed to death alone and in darkness.

A small purse is clenched in between the girl's hands. It looks as though she had been clutching it to her breast as she died.

runehawk
2006-06-26, 08:24 AM
Lizardkin Druid & Trinark, cleric of Eilistraee

Seeing that the warrior had her kill well-in-hand, the druid had not interfered as this would have taken the rightful honour of the kill away from her.

Rushing back down, the dismayed expression on the dark face of his packmate told him all he needed to know.

The dogman was dead. He was gone. His savage spirit in the hunting grounds of HIS ancestors perhaps. A place of honour for a life well lived. Defending a pack. HIS pack.

The lizardkin stood shockstill. His eyes shut tight, his clawed hands clenching as a paroxysm seemed to pass thru him. Frowning with concern, Trinark arose to move toward him but the reptilian moved swiftly. Out of the door, into the open.

Free of the stink of troll ichor and blood, free of the feeling of senseless death and the surrounding walls a like a cage closing around him. The chill in the night cut into him but he welcomed the icy numbness to the stifling heat behind him.

His legs move faster until he finds himself running. Off into the darkness to be alone. No voices, no sounds just a pall of deathly silence only broken by his thoughts. Trinark stretched an arm out, intending to call out after him but stopped. The sound dying in his throat. He drops his arm to his side and heaves a deep sigh.

No, my friend. Some demons are best exorcised alone

Memories of his own persecution resurface. He looks to the pale moon. Its light carresses his face. Adding a fair hue to his delicate features. Lightening the lines of worry that are etched on a youthful, ageless face. Drawing a deep breath, seemingly taking strength from the air touched by that light, he utters softly, "Bring him back safely to us". He looks directly at the moon and smiles wanly and watches the silhouette of the lizardman disappear before turning over his shoulder, to Katrin who had just come down the stairs.

His brows knit as he prepares to tell the others the sad news.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

The lizardman ran and ran. The biting cold could not dissipate the heat that burned within him. He gasped breathless from the exertion and choking from the pain that seemed to tighten in his chest and rise like bitter vomit but yet would not. He coughed wishing that he could expel out the confused mass of thoughts that tore at him. Its seeming source in his throat.

He had heard how his own packmates had died. The witch possessed by the foul spirit of the wizard sethra. The magical copy of the wizard who travelled with that pack long before he had even joined them, sacrificing himself. How unnerving just looking at him had been. The unnatural energies that maintained him surely imbalancing the pure balance that enveloped everywhere simply by its sustained presence.

Yet the wizard or his copy, Ssathiya could never tell the two apart, aside by knowing which was the one who constantly talked to him, who along with the witch had improved his common and along with Fizahn, his knowledge on the pinkskins had not been a force of evil but a loyal companion. No less than the animals borne of the balance and that accompanied druids like himself. It had approached him, fearless and patient of his own fear and distrust of it.

They were dead. He had not dealt with this before, always shirking it to a later time because he knew deep down inside what he felt.

It was his fault.

A Druid of the people. A watcher of the tribe.

Who kept the tribe safe if not the druids?

Who tended to the wounded in the hunts if not the druids?

Shamans may be healers and knowledgeable in the rituals pleasing to Semuanya but any hunter or warrior saw in his druid the wary eye that kept them safe in the place that Semuanya had given them in this world.

They were MY packmates. Where was I?

I stood unmoving in fear as the Thunder-voice(Thokk) died fighting the spider-abominations. His death no less than one of the people.

They died to keep my tribe safe.

A tribe they have no place in. For a race that sees them as little more than beast

When their spirits were sent forth into the afterlife, where was I?

If i had died among my people, they would have eaten my flesh. My spirit with semuanya, my flesh a part of my people. Always. Now I wander away from my people. A visionquest of semuanya. No hunt. No kill. where will my spirit go? Will the pinkskins burn me as they do their kind? will i become a *lost spirit?

He falls onto his knees, head lifted and gasping for air. In frustration, he tears the ground with his claws, ignoring the pain as rock cuts into the webbing between his fingers.

Why do I feel this? Lizardkin do not feel like the warmbloods do. My people were right. To wander among the pinkskins is to lose the very thing that makes one lizardkin.

The image of the dead gnoll comes back to him. He shut his eyes as the shame and guilt wash over him. The dogman had died and here he was afraid for his own mortality. Kneeling like a weak coward in the cold, coming to terms with how lost he had been feeling for some time now instead of grieving or honouring the fallen.

The crux of the matter comes back to him. How was he to honour a creature, he had considered little better than a beast, one whose kind he had consumed before?
Eat his flesh, make him part of him forever? Would the gnoll even want that? To be part of a tribe of lizardmen where the only one who would regard him kin was the druid. To burn him like wood? To bury him? letting worms feast on his flesh.

The lizardman shudders from the anathema of the thought.

Clenching his jaw muscles, he stood up. Seeing where he was for the first time at the river's edge, he moves until he is right beside the water.
He calls out into the wind so that it would carry the words beyond,
"Spirit-of-the-wolf, to honour you, i will never eat the flesh of your kin, or allow them to be hunted."
Kneeling at the edge of the water, he marks strange patterns until he is satisfied and sings a chant with arms raised to the stars.

It is a song taught to the people that is used when they are far from home and unable to find their way. So that spirits of the balance and Semuanya may hear them and guide them home. He sings it for the gnoll and the wizard and the witch. For the brave warrior torn by the walking dead. And the thunder-voiced warrior who had shown him that the pinkskins were no mere beasts. And for others who had died needlessly in the path of death and decay, Sethra had wrought.

At the end of his song, he hangs his head.

And he does something unthinkable for one of his savage race.

He weeps.


(Edited)

Dr._Bob
2006-06-26, 08:13 PM
The lizardman runs off into the darkness, leaving the rest of you standing still, mouths agape.

Tiriel retrieves the mounts. They whinny and shy away from the stench of burning troll.

Trinark says a few words over the Karzak's body. The wind rises as he speaks, the cold breeze ruffling the gnoll's fur. Before your eyes, a startling transformation takes place as the gnoll's body shudders and blurs.

Everyone steps back, weapons drawn, unsure of what is happening. Si'rene snaps at Trinark, "What kind of magic is this, drow?" Trinark just shrugs as if to say, "This is not my doing ..."

After a few moments, there is no trace left of the gnoll. In his place, a naked human male lies curled in fetal position on the cold rocky ground ...

blackfox
2006-06-27, 10:55 AM
Katrin

Katrin kneels next to the girl in the cellar. Looking at the pouch in her hands, she tries to decide whether to open it, or to let it be. Eventually, her curiosity gets the better of her. Letting the pouch rest in the girl's hands, she opens it and peers inside.
S'irene's comment draws her attention, though, and she comes up out of the cellar to see what's going on. Seeing everyone with their weapons drawn, she says, "What's going on? What--" and cuts off short as she sees the human body where Karzak was. "Who is that?"

Spaz
2006-06-27, 03:50 PM
Yix

Yix is afraid at first, hiding behind the ankles of Katrin. After a few moments of staring in awe at the body he moves closer and begins to sniff it.

Dark_Stalion
2006-06-27, 06:48 PM
Naked Man?

The body appers to be that of a human male in it's late twenties, well muscled and quite comely in it's features. Peacefull in it's camatose state, it's breathing is barely perceptable. Gradually this deepens, however, untill, as the miniture draconic creature approaches to sniff, it's eyes snap open startling it back into cover and the entire body arches as though in pain. A cry escapes his lips, primal in it's intensity, and yet more human than any sound the gnoll before him made.

Soon the convultions decrese enough for the man to gather some sence of his surroundings. As his gaspings subside he takes in every one of the assembled members of the group one by one, seeming to recognise each one before moving on to the next, face full of wonder. Lastly in notes it's own nakedness and moves, not quickly, but not without purpose, to improve his modesty. At the same instant his face seems to loose any positivity, and only a bleak emptyness can be seen in his eyes. In a strong baritone voice he addresses no one in particular.

"So I'm alive. I never thought..."

He trails away into thought and his eyes wander with his thoughts, leaving those standing there not sure if he were truly among them.

Dr._Bob
2006-06-27, 08:26 PM
Before the transformation ...

Katrin carefully teases open the pouch. Her torch reveals a neatly bundled package of letters. Katrin gently pulls out the letters, which have been tied with rough twine. The parchment is of fine quality, folded into fourths. There are about a dozen letters. Katrin slips them into a pocket for future examination ...

[hr]
After the transformation ...

Si'rene frowns as she looks at the naked man suspiciously. Without a word, she offers him her cloak.

Her bow still held ready with an arrow nocked, the elf archer scans the riverbank for additional threats. Turning to Tiriel she says, "We should get the horses and ... Karzak ... inside. We can leave the horses on the first floor and secure ourselves up above."

When she sees Katrin, she asks whether the girl is alive or dead. Hearing that the girl is dead, she suggests getting the lizardman to retrieve the body to add to the funeral pyre.

Si'rene's short white hair glistens in the moonlight. Her bare arms are goosepimpled, but she does not shiver or otherwise show any signs of discomfort in the frosty night air.

kuja.girl
2006-06-28, 12:59 AM
Tiriel
dumbfounded by shock Tiriel agrees to Si'rene's idea without fuss or question. She helps move the horses into the bottom floor before mentioning that she's going to go look for the still missing Lizardman.

She walks off into the night and quickly dissapears from sight.

Spaz
2006-06-28, 11:56 AM
Yix

As the man awakens Yix again runs behind the closest pair of ankles. He slowly leaves his favorite hiding spot, only to stare at the man while telpathically asking his name. He then points to himself and sends the word "Yix."

runehawk
2006-06-29, 05:03 AM
Lizardman Druid

The lizardman snaps his neck as he hears the crunch of a footfall.

"There you are" a feminine voice rings out. Flameblade steps into the range of Ssathiya's darkvision.

She walks up to the large rock he is leaning against.
His hide armor and cold weather outfit are loosened and some flaps are open.
His chest and face are exposed to the cold.
She notes that he has obviously tried to roughly unfasten them.

She stands with arms akimbo, her hip in level with his head. The lizardman tilts his head and looks up at her.

"Boh-t... Boat"
He makes a hand sign of something moving on water.
His movements slow, sluggish.

"Make one...to-morr-ow"

He points behind him to the river barely visible in the dark until the moon shifts from behind come clouds.
"for ....."

He frowns with the effort of thought as his breaths continues to form mist.

Tiriel nods in assent to this as she wraps the reptilian with his hide and thick cloak and hood as best as she could. Deciding that attempting to lift and support him would be a futile effort, she opts to warm him first.

Gathering the sparse twigs that were dry enough to satisfy her, she piled them in front of them. She pondered digging through the lizardman's pack for some flint and tinder as she had left hers behind to move more speedily.
As she taps her chin with her right hand, her left hand on her hip hits her belted sword.

A moment of silence passes as she looks at it.

Silently berating her, she draws her sword.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Edit: sorry DR, changed details from yr IM but you can intro them back in the next round unless kuja rps.

kuja feel free to change anything relating to your character. and thank you for the opportunity.)

blackfox
2006-06-29, 09:09 AM
Katrin

Katrin stands just inside the doorway, watching the now-cloaked man. "If you don't mind me asking, who are you?" she says. "And do you know how you got here? It's not often you see a dead body transform and come to life."

Dark_Stalion
2006-06-29, 12:08 PM
Now-cloaked Man

It takes a moment for the man to notice the cloak being offered to him. Once he has, his actions becoe automatic again, mechanical, like something some dwarven wizard has created at his forge, eyes blank and staring. Still, dispite the fact that Yix is not even in his line of sight he turns to him in the eyes at the mental sound.

"I know."

His voice is like gravel, his voice cold and biting as mountain air.

At the mention of the gnoll's name, however, emotion does reach his eyes as he flinches mintely.

"I am not Karzak. I am..." he pauses momentarialy, colecting his thoughts, "I am... E... Ev... an... Evandur."

The detachment returns and he rises, following the others inside. At Katrin's question he just shakes his head. He doesn't seem very willing to talk.

Spaz
2006-06-29, 04:02 PM
Yix

Yix growls at the man, it is a non-threatening growl, more questioning how this strange man already knew his name. He doesn't put much thought into it, as he yawns deeply and begins taking off his armor.

kuja.girl
2006-06-30, 01:02 AM
Tiriel sighs as she draws her long sword. She gently touches it's flaming blade to the kindling. Such a mundane and low use...
Once she has made sure that the fire will keep, she sits down across from the lizardman. She sits awhile, gathering her thoughts and staring into the flames before she talks.
"Something happened to the Gnoll's body right after you left. she pauses, "somehow his body became that of a living man. I don't know if he is the same person, but until we know who and what he is, we should all stay together."

Yoric_Steele
2006-07-01, 07:38 AM
Trinark - Drow Cleric of Eilistraee

After completing a short benediction for their fallen ally, even he had to admit his surprise at the transformation. He had witnessed magic before, but nothing similar to this. Perhaps Eilistraee was watching over him and his group of friends.

He gazed up at the waxing moon, its quiet serenity bolstered his spirits. For a few moments he just let the gentle moonlight clense his spirit.

Sounds of his friends moving the horses inside brought him back. Sighing, he moved to help finish the cleanup and moved toward what he hoped would be a quiet night.

Dr._Bob
2006-07-04, 10:03 PM
A long night passes, with little conversation. Everyone is tired and perhaps a bit dispirited. They glance at Karzak ... now Evandur ... curiously, but he simply ignores the obvious questions and curls up under Si'rene's cloak.

Si'rene stands watch for most of the night, her bow and arrows close at hand. As she slips in and out of trance, she thinks about the events of the past several months and about her companions, old and new.

It would seem that many of us are not who we first appeared to be.

She thinks about Ginevra's/Katrin's uncanny ability to see in the dark with vision surpassing her own elven low-light vision. She also thinks about Tiriel's occasional surprising bursts of speed and jumping ability. She marvels at the drow's transformation from a wretched outcast to noble scion of Eilistraee. The lizardman, who still refuses to share his name, remains an enigma as well. She has no idea what to make of the telepathic lizard.

A strange bunch indeed ... One wonders what lies in our future.

Si'rene pulls a small bundle from her gear and unwraps the porcelain mask. I wonder what its significance is ...

[hr]
The dawn breaks clear and cold. There is a thin skin of ice on the riverbanks. Several flatboats lies drawn up on the near riverbank. Each could hold three horses or six people.

blackfox
2006-07-05, 12:30 PM
Katrin

Katrin lies in her bedroll, staring up at the night sky and the almost-full moon. She glances over at-- Karzak? Evandur? Who is he, really? What is he? Is he Karzak reborn? Or is he someone completely different? How did it happen? With all the questions and doubts and worries running through her head, it takes a long time for Katrin to fall asleep.
_____________________________________________

When the morning comes, Katrin walks down to the boats with the rest of the group. "Tiriel, S'irene, how do you think we should split up on the boats? We'll probably have to make more than one trip over, with the number of horses we have."

Spaz
2006-07-05, 02:02 PM
Yix

Yix wakes only to find himself rather famished, he quickly brings out his sack of provisions and begins merrily munching away. As the others ponder over how to go about the boats Yix takes advantage of the water and begins to shine his armor, occasionally stopping to admire himself in its reflection.

Dark_Stalion
2006-07-05, 02:35 PM
Evendur

With the dawn Evendur rises. Litterally. As the sun crests the horizon his eyes snap open and he sits up, panting as though coming out of a nightmare. Sweat drips off his brow as his eyes gradually focus on his surroundings. He looks down at his hands, turning them over before bringing them up to his face to feel it. He seems to be a bit unsteady on his feet when he gets up onto them, but the unsteadyness doesn't last for long. wearing the cloak he used the previous night for a blanket. He finds the gnoll's belongings attached to it's horse and rumages arround. Seeming to not find what he wants, he looks to see if anyone else is awake...

Dr._Bob
2006-07-05, 10:45 PM
Yix preens at the water's edge, seemingly unaffected by the chill. Is it your imagination, or does the tiny lizard seem a little bit larger than he did when you first encountered him in the Underdark?

[hr]
Evendur rises to his feet unsteadily. He pokes through the rubble, looking for something but doesn't find it. Eventually, he joins Yix at the edge of the river, wincing as he crosses the frozen rocks in his bare feet. He kneels by the water, clearing away a thin crust of ice so that he can see his face reflected in the water.

Even Si'rene has to admit that Evendur is a handsome specimen (for a human, she thinks to herself).

[hr]
It will take two people to pole each ferry across the river and back.

Si'rene suggests having the lizardman and Tiriel act as "ferrymen", shuttling the rest of the party and the mounts across the river. Si'rene volunteers to cross first and scout ahead.

It takes hours to make the multiple trips across the river ...



OOC: Please decide who crosses first, second, last, etc. Si'rene is already across the river (ferried by the lizardman and Tiriel, unless there are strong objections).

kuja.girl
2006-07-05, 11:35 PM
Tiriel looks at the lizardman and shrugs. She's never done this before but she doesn't figure that it will be all that hard.
Remembering something she saw on one of her previous travles, she suggests that they tie a rope to the ferry and attach that rope to a couple of the horses so that if something happens, the ferry can be pulled back to shore/upstream.

runehawk
2006-07-06, 01:28 AM
Lizardkin Druid

The night before...
The physical and emotional exhaustion of that day causes him to only hear snatches of the conversation as Tiriel peers into the fire talking. He only catches snatches of her mentioning something about a stranger mysteriously appearing.

A snore from him a short while later confirms Tiriel's suspicions as she sighs before wrapping her cloak about herself and settling beside the lizardman.

She is the first to awaken the next morning and scout extensively, thus discovering the barges and alerting the others to it.
---------------------------------------------------------------

As Tiriel stood beside him waiting for his response, he had been on one knee and examining the barges. He wordlessly looks into her eys and nods and *will help her tie the rope on the boats.

He is more concerned on the rough looking land on the far bank and frowns at it as they ferry Si'rene across.

He says in a low voice to her: "No far"

The look of annoyance she flashes him is all the answer he gets. He leaves his pack and some of his cold weather clothing, now mended, on the other side before returning to ferry the remaining members.

~~~~~~
Earlier as the lizardman and the warrior had returned to fetch the others, the only response he had had for the newcomer was by walking right up to his face and then revealing his own face. *Pulling his scarf and pushing his hood back, he had stared into the eyes of the human until with a deep inhaled breath, he growled with gritted teeth,
"you... are not known to me". The human had not flinched at the sight of the reptilian face in front of him and remained silent as the lizardman turned away.

Turning to tiriel who removed her now unnneeded restraining hand from his arm, Ssathiya stalked away, ignoring the stranger. The more observant party members like Trinark deduced that while the lizardman had not accepted the stranger but ignored him because he clearly did not see the close-mouthed stranger as a threat.

Yix who had been peering curiously at him, got a soft rub on his side by the druid's tail as he passed him. He had not glanced in Trinark's way but Tiriel nodded to the look of gratitude he shot her.

The rest led by Tiriel followed behind him to the water's edge where she had been the first to speak to him.

OOC: sorry busy with an A&E posting. Mainly an entry to tie up loose ends from the night and morning and interact with char.s.

Dark_Stalion
2006-07-06, 12:31 PM
Evendur

Evendur, exiting from the water starts to shiver.

"I don't suppose anyone has any spare clothes," he says through chatterig teeth.

It is weird as he seems to have aged not at all in all the years. His body is still young and he has his life ahead of him.

Maybe she is not so harsh a mistress...

blackfox
2006-07-07, 11:40 AM
Katrin

Katrin looks sympathetically at Evendur. "I'm sorry... I don't have any spare clothes, and I'm pretty sure nothing I wear would fit you anyways, but if I had any extra clothes, I'd give them to you." She turns back to Tiriel and the boats. "I think we should go over with two horses and two people on each boat. One person holds the horses and the other poles the craft across. Unless you won't be able to get across with only one person ferrying?" She looks questioningly at Tiriel. "Anyways, I'll go over next, if no one else wants to."

Spaz
2006-07-07, 06:13 PM
Yix


Yix walks over and holds out his now shiny armor for Evendur.

kuja.girl
2006-07-07, 10:46 PM
Tiriel
"It would be safer if we only took one boat at a time since I don't think either of us has done this before."
She glances at the man huddled under his cloak,
"We'd better do something about him too. Hopefuly we'll run into a town where we can get him some clothes since I don't think any of us packed extras."

Spaz
2006-07-09, 06:01 PM
Yix


Yix puts his offering down, as it is unaccepted. This only provokes him though as he gazes at Evendur and silently asks "Who are you?" He ***** his head to the side and waits for his answer.

runehawk
2006-07-10, 10:34 AM
Lizardkin Druid

The druid stares silently at the ridge he last saw Si'rene disappear over.

He ferries Katrin across.

Dr._Bob
2006-07-13, 02:40 PM
Yix's armor is of course too small for Evendur, but it was quite disappointing that the generous gesture went unacknowledged.

"Evendur" simply stares into the distance, lost in his own thoughts without answering any of his companions' questions.

It takes nearly the entire morning to ferry the entire party and equipment across, but soon enough the party is on the road again, led by Si'rene, who is content to scout ahead, just out of sight of the main party.

[hr]
Two days pass uneventfully. The snow remains unmelted on the ground, but the skies are clear and your furs are thick, so the cold is no hardship, even for the druid.

On the third morning, you are breaking camp when Si'rene points back the way you have come. A thin line of smoke is visible at the horizon.

"Other travelers perhaps?" the elf asks hopefully as she begins stringing her bow.

Spaz
2006-07-13, 05:08 PM
Yix

Yix's head perks up at the mention of something other than the cold boring whiteness of snow. He was growing rather bored as he spent the past few days throwing snowballs at his fellow companions, and wondering where his lap goes when he stands up. He looks at the smoke with great interest and more than a passing fancy.

Dr._Bob
2006-07-14, 10:11 AM
Gesturing to her shoulder, Si'rene invites the pseudodragon to hop on. "Shall we see what's going on?"

Si'rene wheels her horse around and trots back down the road with Yix.

The rest of the party continues to head East, pausing occasionally to look behind them.

[hr]

Si'rene and Yix catch up with the party an hour later, her horse's breath steaming in the chilly air. She wastes no time giving her report.

"A half dozen horsemen were breaking camp. They appear to be heavily armed, but I couldn't see exactly who they were.

"I don't think they saw me and Yix, but our trail is pretty obvious, so they clearly know that we are up ahead of them.

"I don't know whether they are following us or not, but we can probably keep ahead of them if we don't run into any more delays."

Trinark, squinting against the daylight, mumbles, "Or we could leave the road and wait until they pass ..."

kuja.girl
2006-07-14, 11:18 AM
Tiriel
looks at the snow covered ground.
"Unless we find an area without snow, we'll be leaving a trail no matter where we go. I think we shoiuld press on until we know more or find a good spot to leave the road."

Spaz
2006-07-14, 12:20 PM
Yix


Yix points at Tiriel and nods his head in agreement, then to demonstrate what she says is true he walks around the group in a circle, then points to his tracks.

Dr._Bob
2006-07-14, 10:25 PM
You decide therefore to continue onward, but you can't help wondering who the horsemen behind you are.

This deep into the winter, you would not expect any casual travelers. In fact, the horsemen are the first living people you've encountered since leaving Telflamm.

Si'rene continues to keep a sharp elven eye out for them, and occasionally points them out when the terrain allows you a good view to the horizon. There is no question that they are following you, but whether because they are pursuing you or because this is simply the only road to the next town is unknown.

[hr]
Toward the end of the day, you come to an ancient stone bridge, slippery with snow and ice, that spans a dark river. The bridge is long and narrow, clearly designed for easy defense, though from which side is hard to say.

runehawk
2006-07-15, 10:50 AM
Lizardkin Druid

The journey after the ferry crossing had been uneventful except for the playful antics of the little dragon. He had pelted a snowball at the druid who had seem stunned by the first hit.

With an unreadable expression, the reptilian had pulled his hood lower over his semi-masked face. The next snowball the cheeky pseudodragon sent his way found the pseudodragon squeaking and ducking as a green tail snaked out returning his shot.

With an evil gleam in his eye, Yix continued to play with the others but always took an opportunity to throw one at the druid whenever he thought the druid's guard was down.

The little amusement he had engaged in however had distracted him from detecting the horsemen and he explained with dismay to Tiriel and Trinark that he could not mask their tracks even with combined magical and mundane means. He looked at his own trackless steps and sighed.

He did give evandur dirty looks when the horsemen were mentioned from then on.

As they stood gathering their breath at the bridge, he squinted into the light trying to make out the horsemen.
Stretching his stiff muscles he thanked whatever spirits had chased the cold away that morning and waited to see what the others might say.
OOC:

OOC: I pass w/o trace and I could memorise a spell that can mask 3 but even with a very good survival check i doubt i could hide all the horses. Is evandur walking now bec. i remember the gnoll not having a horse?

kuja.girl
2006-07-16, 04:21 PM
Tiriel
examines the bridge in the waning light. If the horsemen have bad intentions, this would be the place to find out.
"Let's cross the bridge, if there's trouble, we can bottle neck them at the otherside as they try to come off the bridge.

Dr._Bob
2006-07-16, 04:32 PM
Everyone dismounts, including Evendur, who had been riding the extra horse (eschewed by the lizardman). One by one, you carefully lead your mounts over the icy bridge, their hooves scraping and sliding on the slippery stones.

The dark water rushes by underneath the bridge, flowing very rapidly due to the narrowness of the river at this point.

Once safely across, you turn back to look for the horsemen. After a short while, they appear over a small rise, halting there to regard you from perhaps a quarter mile away.

With the sun setting to their backs, they are silhouetted against the purple sky, making it hard for you to see their faces. In any case, they are as bundled up against the cold as you are, rendering them essentially anonymous.

They seem to be considering whether to approach or not. It seems unlikely that they could attack you across the length of the bridge. On the other hand, if you set out to the east again, it would be easy for them to overtake you on the open road.

Spaz
2006-07-17, 05:07 PM
Yix

Yix points to the horsemans silhouettes and then points to his mouth. Yix then waltzes over to a convenient spots and sits down awaiting the horseman.

Dr._Bob
2006-07-17, 08:12 PM
Unexpectedly, Evendur chuckles, his voice hoarse, as if from disuse. "It would appear that the little dragon has made up his mind. I only wish I knew whether he plans to eat them or talk to them!" The handsome, pale man's body convulses with laughter.

S'rene rolls her eyes. "I think I liked him better when he didn't talk," she mutters.

She tests her bow and sights in on the far end of the bridge, then loosens the arrows in her quiver and clears a spot on the ground of snow. Without further comment, she kneels down to wait.

A wind rises, blowing snow crystals into the air, which sting your face.

[hr]
The horsemen come no closer. In fact they seem to get a bit agitated as they stare at you from their vantage point.

They seem to be pointing at you and shouting, though the wind, which is strengthening, seems to be sweeping their words away so that you can not make out what they are saying.

The lizardkin druid growls. There is something unnatural afoot ...

blackfox
2006-07-19, 09:27 AM
Katrin

Katrin glares supiciously at the horsemen, trying to catch their words. At the same time, she looks for a sheltered hiding place, preferably one with shadow. She lets her horse's reins fall to the ground, allowing the animal to graze off what little green matter might stick up above the snow.

runehawk
2006-07-19, 09:48 AM
Lizardkin Druid

The wrongness of the situation came at him. A churning in his lower gut. Closing his eyes he tries to attune himself to what is happening around him.

The reaction of the horsemen, the 'feel' around only lead him to one conclusion.

The danger was HERE!

His eyes snap open!

"Back, Back"
He roars suddenly startling those around him. He waves them back towards the horsemen, across the bridge.

The spines on his back and neck all stood erect and he hoped the pack leader (Tiriel) would see the alarm in his eyes and lead them in a gallop back to the bridge.

He would hold off the unknown danger for as long as he could.

This was his pack.

HIS pack.

Hunter. Druid. Lizardkin. Survivor of the deep earth.

Whatever threatened them would face the full ferocity of that culmination.

OOC: DR let me know what rolls to make ... OR go ahead and make them for me. My motive would be to make the relevant skill checks or cast spells that will perceive the threat.

Dr._Bob
2006-07-19, 09:56 AM
The horses whinny in alarm. As Katrin turns around, she is startled to see a new threat approaching from behind the party.

The lizardkin druid seems to have almost presciently sensed the danger and is already urging everyone to run back across the icy bridge, even though it will take you closer to the horsemen.

Icy clouds of mist roll towards the party from a copse of evergreen trees. The mist obscures vision somewhat, but you can make out several serpentine heads writhing within the mist.

The creatures seem to be approaching at a deliberate pace, having pinned the party against the bridge ...

"Behind us!" Katrin calls out to warn the others.



OOC: The bridge is narrow and icy. Movement at any speed faster than 10' will require a DC 20 balance check. Failure will trigger a DC 15 reflex save. If the save fails, you fall off the bridge into the river.

kuja.girl
2006-07-19, 11:51 AM
ooc: I guess the builders of the bridge forgot the guard rails.

Dr._Bob
2006-07-19, 12:21 PM
The bridge is narrow with very low (knee high) guard rails. Under normal conditions, it would be easy to cross the bridge double file, but in the winter, the stones are very icy and the bridge is therefore dangerous to cross.

You could walk over carefully without needing to make checks, but running back over it could be dangerous.

[hr]
In the distance, the horsemen keep shouting and pointing, obviously trying to warn you about the ice serpents. They seem to be arguing amongst themselves whether or not to get involved.

Spaz
2006-07-19, 04:16 PM
Yix

Yix runs as fast as he can towards the bridge, at the last second he leaps into the air hopefully sliding his way across most of the icy bridge. He then picks himself up and runs next to the guard rail the rest of the way.

((This is under the assumption that since Yix is about knee high the guard rail is about as tall as he is))

Dr._Bob
2006-07-19, 08:38 PM
Yix is able to slide and skid his way across the bridge, shooting off into a snow drift on the far side of the river.

The rest of you find the footing much more perilous.

Each of the six serpentine heads sends an icy blast towards you as they approach. Through the frosty mist you can just make out the outline of a single massive dragon-like body ...

kuja.girl
2006-07-19, 11:13 PM
Tiriel
whips her around at the Lizardman's shout. Seeing the icy serpent, she runs a quick appraisal and decides that the horsemen are, at the moment, the least serious threat.

"Retreat!" she shouts, "Everyone head back across the bridge!"
She asks Si'rene to guide her horse back across as she unsheaths her sword and prepares to cover her retreating friend's backs.

ooc: Tiriel will be facing the ice-snake-thing and walking backwards across the bridge. This is probaly going to be my las IC post until Sunday evening-ish.

blackfox
2006-07-20, 10:04 AM
Katrin

Katrin grabs the reins of her horse, without speaking. She runs, sure-footed, across the bridge. She turns around when she's about 60 feet back from the ice creature. She pulls her horse around behind her with one hand, reaching for her crossbow with the other.

((OOC: Balance Check (1d20+11=21) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=523472)))

Dr._Bob
2006-07-20, 10:06 AM
Si'rene grabs the reins of two horses and begins pulling them onto the bridge.

As she assesses the situation, however, she realizes that there isn't enough time to get everyone and the horses across the bridge. Handing the reins of the horses to Trinark, she slips and slides her way back to Tiriel.

"I will stand with you. Maybe we can hold off these things long enough for the others to get across!"

Si'rene draws her bow and begins whispering in elven ...

runehawk
2006-07-20, 12:36 PM
Lizardkin Druid

The lizardkin had lagged behind the others and finally stood a distance behind them watching the mist-covered monster reveal itself.

Staring at the approaching monstrosity with a grim expression, he tries to remember if had been taught anything about facing such a creature or at least something akin to it. {Knowledge(Nature): 9 +5 = 14}.

Seeing Tiriel coming to stand beside him as the others bottleneck at the bridge, he takes on a look of annoyance and waves at her to get back over the bridge or stay with the others.

The worried look on Trinark's face catches his eye and his expression softens. He simply looks grim again and gives a nod. One that conveyed that he knew their hunter was a serious threat.

Turning back to approaching enemy, he spreads his arms and then begins to quickly whirl them and chant casting a spell

OOC: EDIT: din know it's so close. change plan. cast barkskin on self. cast flameblade. fight flameblade and shield

Modifeid AC: 26
Touch attack: 12 + 5 =17 Damage 5 + 1= 6 (flame)
at the head that lunges at tiriel

Spaz
2006-07-20, 01:21 PM
Yix

Yix claws his way out of the snow bank and hops over towards the men and their horses. He stares at each of them in turn looking them directly into their eyes communicating only one thing "We Fight!"

((heres to them speaking common and taking orders from a little pint size dragon))

Dr._Bob
2006-07-21, 12:14 PM
Yix leaps, glides and scurries up the hill to the horsemen on the ridge. They look surprised to see the tiny dragon, and are amazed when he telepathically communicates with them.

From their vantage point, they can see the cryohydra closing in on the remaining warriors attempting to hold the bridge. They look at each other uncertainly.

[hr]
Trinark, Evendur and Katrin guide the frightened horses over the icy bridge while the lizardman, Tiriel, and Si'rene try to hold off the huge beast to buy them some time.

Si'rene fires an arrow that strikes one of the heads right in the eye. As the head rears back, however, the other heads dive forward to attack.

Tiriel's flaming sword is drawn, and she slashes viciously as five heads snap at her shield.

One catches her in the ankle and almost upends her.



OOC: Si'rene hits for 12 points of damage. Tiriel does 15 points of damage (flaming). Tiriel is hit once for 10 damage.

Runehawk, go ahead and make attack and damage rolls vc AC 21.

blackfox
2006-07-21, 02:32 PM
Katrin

Katrin draws her crossbow and pulls back the string, fitting a bolt into the notch. Her eyes widen as she sees multiple heads on the beast--hydra! She carefully takes aim on the ice hydra.

Spaz
2006-07-21, 02:56 PM
Yix

Yix shakes his head at the paltroonery of the horsemen. He lets out a sharp growl trying to quit them down and focus all attention on gimself. He then points the horseman to where he wants them to stand, trying his best to make a defensive position on this side of the bridge.

runehawk
2006-07-22, 10:36 PM
Lizardman Druid

Never having fought such a beast before and knowing nothing about it, Ssathiya believed that saving his friends depended severing as many ice-brething heads as possible.

He readied himself to slice at another head.

Touch attack: 17 + 5 =22 Dmg: 5 +1= 6

Dr._Bob
2006-07-23, 09:25 AM
The horsemen dismount and draw their weapons. They appear to be a mixed bunch - some humans and elves, some gnomes and halflings. They move forward cautiously, while Yix encourages them forward.

[hr]
At the bridge, Tiriel and the lizardkin druid slash at the hydra with their flaming weapons. Si'rene and Katrin fall back and pepper the beast with arrows and crossbow bolts.

Meanwhile, Trinark and Evendur continue to lead the horses back over the bridge to relative safety.

One of the hydra heads blasts the party with an icy cone of frost that rolls over the front line and catches Si'rene and Katrin as well. Tiriel and the druid catch the worst of the breath attack, however, and are instantly coated in a thin layer of ice.

Flakes of ice break off their skin as they continue to dodge and parry the snapping jaws of the six-headed hydra ...



OOC: Ssathiya takes 12 cold damage. Tiriel takes 11 cold damage. Katrin takes 5 cold damage. Si'rene takes 8 cold damage.

blackfox
2006-07-23, 12:44 PM
Katrin

Katrin shivers as the icy blast hits her, throwing off her aim as she looses her bolt. It flies wide, missing the head she had aimed at by a good two yards. She scowls and reloads her crossbow.

((OOC: Attack Roll (1d20+4=14) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=528106)
Forgot the penalty for firing into melee... again... :P))

Spaz
2006-07-23, 01:13 PM
Yix

Yix holds up his hand for the horseman to stop and stay on this side of the bridge. He then tries to get his companions to cross to his side of the river. He looks to the horseman and asks on word "Bows?"

runehawk
2006-07-23, 01:24 PM
Lizardkin Druid

The sting of the ice bites into him. Thousands of sharp needles numbing him. Gritting his teeth through the pain, he sees his packmates blasted with the ice.

Knowing that they could not last long against this monster, he hatches a desperate plan.

He charges forward, intending to distract the heads away from the others and sinks his flame blade to its hilt at the root of the necks and slowly begins cutting through.

OOC:
dunno how we're gonna play this DR. my intention is to draw away the fire from the others (tiriel) and make me the primary target. you can apply ac penalty as you see fit. dex + dodge? i'm prob holding shield over my head and blocking attack attempts. and yes AoO for you

Dr._Bob
2006-07-23, 09:56 PM
Seeing his companions hit by the cone of frost, Trinark releases the horses and slips and slides back to the melee.

The lizardkin druid bravely (or perhaps foolhardily) charges toward the hydra. He jams his shield into the maw of one of the serpentine heads, but another head clamps down on his ankle and spins him off his feet, tossing him off to the side.

This gives Trinark an opportunity to slip up behind Tiriel. He quickly whispers a prayer to Eilistraee and lays hands on her. She nods her head in gratitude.

[hr]
The dismounted horsemen draw bows and crossbows and prepare to provide supporting fire.



OOC: Trinark heals Tiriel for 8 points. Ssathiya takes 7 points of damage (tossing etc just added as flavor text) from an AoO. Also, we're moving to a new OOC thread. Drop by The Naughty Nun (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=play_ooc;action=display;num=11537045 82) when you get a chance ...

runehawk
2006-07-24, 08:03 AM
Lizardkin Druid

The reptilian grunts at the impact. Picking himself up, he notes with satisfaction as one head chokes on his heavy shield.

Holding up his flaming sword in front of him, he readies himself to dodge and smite the next head that lunges at him.

Touch: 12+ 5=17 dmg= 6+1 =7 flaming

New AC= -2 for loss of shield =24

Spaz
2006-07-24, 12:03 PM
Yix


Yix raises his arm straights up then throws it forward growling as he does so, hoping the soldiers will loose their arrows all at once. He then motions them forward slowly as he marches in the lead of the column crossing the bridge.

blackfox
2006-07-24, 04:45 PM
Katrin

Katrin looses her bolt, aiming for one of the heads. It flies wide, a sudden gust of wind carrying it astray. With a frustrated growl, she reloads again, ready to try shooting one last time.

(OOC: Attack Roll (1d20+4=12) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=529407)
What a lousy time to roll an 8...)

kuja.girl
2006-07-25, 11:40 AM
[ooc: so I went and read up on hydras...this is not going to be fun without an arcane caster. We really need to chop off it's heads with flame weapons...]

Tiriel
quickly decides that it's time for a change in her attack plan. She switches to a two-handed grip on her sword as she waits for one of the beast's heads to try to strike her:
readys a sunder attack agaist the next head that attacks her

attack roll: 1d20+11=22 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=530807)
damage, slashing/fire:
1d8+7=10, 1d6=4 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=530809)

ooc: I'm 1 short on each damage roll...well at least it's got one head hanging by a thread...

Dr._Bob
2006-07-25, 08:55 PM
With a shout, Tiriel lops off one of the hydra's heads! The head and a few feet of neck writhe in the snow for a few moments, then lie still, contorted and twisted.

She smiles with satisfaction, but her grin turns to a grimace as a different head bites her arm, as if trying to neutralize her fearsome flaming sword. Ice cold fangs punch through her armor like iron spikes. She feels her blood run hot and wet down the inside of her forearm.

Katrin's bolt misses, but she is stunned to see a simultaneous flurry of additional arrows and bolts drop down onto the cryohydra from above. She spins to see that the horsemen have dismounted and have aimed up into the sky. Their missiles arc expertly into the air and rain down on the hydra.

She can barely make out Yix standing in front of the strangers, waving his wings and directing their fire like some sort of field marshal.

There are more of the horsemen than had been visible at first. About a dozen now have crested the rise, the setting sun to their backs ...


OOC: Tiriel takes 8 damage.

blackfox
2006-07-26, 10:38 AM
Katrin

Katrin smiles helplessly and shakes her head when she sees Yix. She turns around, levels her crossbow, and fires. Again, the bolt misses. She looks around for any kind of shadow she might be able to hide in...

(OOC: Attack Roll (1d20+4=14) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=532122)))

Dr._Bob
2006-07-26, 11:29 AM
The setting sun casts long shadows along the ground. After another crossbow bolt sails between the writhing hydra heads, Katrin crouches, then rolls into a nearby shadow, vanishing.

Si'rene's hands as a blur as she fires arrow after arrow into the hydra. Her lips move as she whispers in elven with each shot.

Encouraged forward by Yix, the fur-clad strangers begin to approach the bridge on foot, firing as they move.

Evendur leads the horses away from the bridge so that they are not in the way.

[hr]
Seeing Tiriel badly bitten, Trinark again calls upon Eilistraee to heal the warrior. "Perhaps a bit more restraint?" he suggests as he lays hands on her.

The lizardkin druid appears determined to hold off the cryohydra by himself. His flame blade slashes at the hydra's body. Four of the remaining heads snap at the druid, while the fifth head spits out his shield.

The lizardman seems surprisingly nimble considering the cold temperature and the bulky furs he is wearing. Still, he can not avoid being nipped several times by the enormous beast. Crimson droplets spatter the snowy ground around him as he duck, weaves, and slashes ...

Spaz
2006-07-26, 12:39 PM
Yix

Yix presses forward still, and urges the horsemen to move a little faster, as he spies the lizardkin in quite the predicament.

kuja.girl
2006-07-27, 01:44 AM
Tiriel
Grimices in pain. Two near death situations in less than a minute, things are not looking good. Still, she hates the idea of leavign the lizard man behind. She settles on a comprimise:

Tiriel prepares to do the same as before, but she will also take a 5' step backwards after attacking.

Sunder attack: (1d20+11=21) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=533362)
damage: (1d8+7=14, 1d6=5) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=533363)

ooc: whoo-hoo there goes another head, and this out for good !!! I decided to take out another head instead of retreating because I'd probaly get hit with the AoO anyhow.

blackfox
2006-07-27, 11:08 AM
Katrin

Katrin will sneak up on the cryohydra, drawing her shortsword. Once she gets in a good position for attacking and flanking, she'll sneak attack the hydra.

(OOC: Balance Check (1d20+11=20) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=533645)
Hide Check (if I need it) (1d20+21=32) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=533647)
Move Silently Check (if I need it) (1d20+16=33) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=533649)
Attack Roll (1d20+8=26) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=533652)
Damage+Sneak Attack damage (1d6+2, 1d6=[8], [5]) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=533655)
Now I get good rolls...))

runehawk
2006-07-27, 07:07 PM
Lizardkin Druid

Spitting the blood that had collected in his mouth, the reptilian holds a broken rib and winces. He grunts as he barely dodges another attack and gets smacked by a long serpentine neck.

Tottering to a side, he spots his shield lying in the frozen ground and dives to pick it up, flicking his flameblade upwards with a backhand flip.
a head that head been lunging, ducks away from the whirling, burning object and hisses with anger as it tries to shield itself.

Rolling onto the shield, ssathiya picks it up and comes to rest holding it before him. He stretches out his hand, catching his weapon deftly before it hit the ground and spins it in readiness.

OOC: flavour text move to pick shield w/o AoOs. SO i'm moving in a 'U' pattern and ready partial action to sunder while fighting defensively.

Touch: 13 +1 =14 (hit?) dmg =8+1= 9 flaming

Dr._Bob
2006-07-28, 10:22 AM
Ignoring the drow's sound advice, Tiriel spins and cleaves a second head from the hydra. Before the disembodied head even hits the ground, however, powerful jaws clamp down around her waist. Her armor buckles as she is lifted off of the ground and shaken until she loses consciousness. Her sword drops from her bloody hand, sinking point first into the frozen ground with a hsssss. Its flames flicker out.

"NNNOOOOOO!!!!!" Katrin, who had circled around unseen toward the hydra's flank, plunges her sword deep into the belly of the beast, causing it to drop Tiriel's body as all four of its remaining heads roar in pain.

The lizardkin druid slashes at the hydra's other flank as he recovers his shield, a cry of anguish on his lips ...

Without warning, you are all engulfed in a stinging cloud of ice that chills you to the bone as three heads simultaneously blast you with jets of frost ...

[hr]
Yix watches with horror as his two-legged companions disappear in an opaque, glittery white cloud. He had seen Tiriel fall before the frosty mist obscured his vision.

He urges the newcomers forward with even more haste. As they reach the near end of the bridge, they drop their bows and crossbows and draw melee weapons. Evendur stands nearby with the horses, seemingly frozen in stunned horror.




OOC: Tiriel is critically wounded but is thrown clear of the frost blast. Ssathiya saves and takes 17 points of cold damage. Trinark fails his save and takes 33 points of cold damage. Katrin saves and takes 17 points of cold damage. Si'rene saves and takes 19 points of cold damage.

Is this the end? Of course not. Please stand by ...

runehawk
2006-07-28, 12:59 PM
Lizardkin Druid(A cinematic from his perspective)

The reptilian had heard a shout from Movingshadows or Katrin as she had named herself. Snapping his head around, a sight of horror greeted him.

Their leader lay, a bloody broken mess on the hard ground and Trinark had rushed to kneel at her side. Ssathiyaa had roared out and slashed a flank that slithered forward to obstruct him as he had moved to help them.

Time had slowed down at that point.

The heads had jerked upward. Blood ceased spurting from the second head Flameblade had loped off. The monster roared out its pain to the heavens.

Si'rene moved before him to her fallen 'sister'. She had been closer to Tiriel and was skipping ahead and to the right of him. She had stood more distant from the hydra, in the center between the druid and the pair of the fighter and cleric. She sidestepped with an urgency while facing the hydra, loosing arrow after arrow. All the while she kept shifting towards tiriel's side.

The lizardkin did not see Katrin to his left behind the root where the hydran necks joined at the torso. Tears streaking down her face as she stabbed it from the back. Her teeth bared in a grimace as grief and anger wrestled across her face.

Ssathiyaa smelt the soot from Si'rene's magic arrows as they whistled over and around his head as he moved towards Trinark and Tiriel, cutting between her and the hydra.

The necks of the hydra had swelled as it began to draw in a deep breath. The others knowing what it heralded, flinched as they prepared to dodge the inevitable blast.

Only Trinark did not flinch as he knelt before Tiriel on one knee. His sword, shining as light caught its expert craftsmanship, was clasped at the hilt by one hand, its tip on the ground while his other hand rested lightly on Tiriel.

A knight standing still vigil over the fallen.

His lips moved soundlessly, completing the last spell he would ever utter as he stared into the gaping maws of the hydra. There was no fear on his face, just the grave expression he always wore as he woried about others around him.

The blast spewed forth from the serpentine heads.

Ssathiya broke his stride and twisting his shield around him , ducked, trying to avoid as much of the blast as he could.

As the force of the blast hit him, he was propelled backwards to the ground. He saw Trinark kneeling, unmoving from the oncoming blast. He twisted his neck to face his drow friend. The noble drow finished the spell and the hand on Tiriel glowed briefly.

Trinark's head turned slightly to Ssathiya. Their eyes met and a light smile touched Trinark's lips, softening his calm, grave expression.

It would be the last time Ssathiya would see his friend smile.

As the blast hit them, the cleric mouthed,
"Be well" and slowly closed his eyes as the mist robbed him from sight.

"CLOUDHAAAAAIR", he screamed with all his heart.

Everything went white. Only a world of biting cold.... , excruciating pain... existed to his senses.

The last thought he had before unconsciousness took him was a memory of Trinark smiling broadly. He clenched a goblet in his hand as they stood at a balcony of Sheyra's mansion. Moonlight splayed on both their faces.

Alone, together and free.

Their missions complete. A hunt fulfilled and a spiritual journey ended. The Underdark behind them.

That night and many more nights like it lay ahead. The wind caught their laughter and carried it into the night. A starlit darkness that stretched forever, like the future ahead of them.

Dr._Bob
2006-07-28, 02:58 PM
Trinark is dead. The lizardkin druid is dying. Tiriel (healed by Trinark) is unconscious. Katrin and Si'rene are badly injured.

To be continued in The Necromancer's Pact (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=play;action=display;num=1146798070;s tart=345#359).