PDA

View Full Version : Misuse of animal shapes

TrueMikeBrown
2010-07-14, 09:51 AM
I just realized that the druid spell animal shapes could lead to some interesting role playing situations.

The party I am DMing is about to try to assault a demilich enchantress in her own house. I was trying to see what spells they might use, so I was considering the druid spell list.

A dog could be purchased fairly cheap. 20 dogs is not much of an expense either. Once those dogs are all the size and shape of Mastodons, however, they are fairly capable of destroying walls, priceless libraries, kitchens, arcane tools, and anything else that gets in their way. They wouldn't take a hit, but if you released 20-100 of them into the place, the lich would likely get so angry that she *might* make a mistake and not teleport away if she is in a tough situation. I wonder if there are any other spells like this (ones that I should be aware of from a roleplaying stand point, as my group tends to come up with interesting solutions to problems.)

We have a wizard, druid, bard, and monk

(by the way, they use mainly the SC, and the PH for their spells)

Grumman
2010-07-14, 09:58 AM
A dog could be purchased fairly cheap. 20 dogs is not much of an expense either. Once those dogs are all the size and shape of Mastodons, however, they are fairly capable of destroying walls, priceless libraries, kitchens, arcane tools, and anything else that gets in their way.
A dog only has 1 HD, or 2 HD for a riding dog. This means it cannot be polymorphed into anything with more than 1 or 2 HD. You could turn them into ponies, but not elephants.

TrueMikeBrown
2010-07-14, 11:29 AM
oh! hmm that is too bad... Well that prevents her from being annoyed in that particular way

gallagher
2010-07-14, 11:43 AM
oh! hmm that is too bad... Well that prevents her from being annoyed in that particular way

if you are of high enough level, you could always purchase a bunch of these dogs and use a couple of awesome buffs and let them loose.

Yorrin
2010-07-14, 01:48 PM
If we're using animal assailants go with the fastest and smallest bird you can find, and then have it hold a delayed blast fireball in its beak. it takes dove-bombing to a whole new level.

I know it's not what you asked for specifically, but it's along the same vein...

Ormagoden
2010-07-14, 01:51 PM
1) Collect and trap hundreds of rats
2) Buy a couple bags of corn
3) Feed rats
4) Turn rats into pigeons
5) Release pigeons in BBEG's house, mansion, cave, tower.
6) ????
7) Profit (In laughter)

Beorn080
2010-07-14, 02:14 PM
You want chickens. I'm not sure what the statblock is, but you can probably polymorph them into cats. Chain some buffs onto them, and you got yourself a 2cp army. Bonus points if you take leadership for a lvl 1 commoner with chicken infested and quick draw.

jiriku
2010-07-14, 02:41 PM
I wonder if there are any other spells like this (ones that I should be aware of from a roleplaying stand point, as my group tends to come up with interesting solutions to problems.)

There are dozens. Scores. Perhaps hundreds? If you have two full-casters and a half-caster in your group (I assume the monk is a lawn ornament), the ability to think on your feet and react quickly to curve balls is pretty much mandatory.

gbprime
2010-07-14, 03:08 PM
Animal shapes. Do you have any good contacts in the regional Wealth Relocators guild? A crack team of mid-level rogues might jump at the chance to recon or infiltrate the place in force. High level casters tend to have really valuable stuff. They can enter as rats, scope the place out, and lurk until the fireworks start. While you guys are busy with the lich, they can handle minions and otherwise make off with a lot of valuables while the lich is busy.

Best scare I ever gave the PC's was them confronting an evil priest with the Animal domain. Leave now, or you shall all die... and the songbirds in the area all turned into assassins, surrounding the PC's. (The party won, but with 2 PC deaths.)

SurlySeraph
2010-07-14, 05:33 PM
A dog only has 1 HD, or 2 HD for a riding dog. This means it cannot be polymorphed into anything with more than 1 or 2 HD. You could turn them into ponies, but not elephants.

If you could hire a bard at a high enough level to use Inspire Greatness, he could give them enough bonus HD for you to turn them into black bears.

nedz
2010-07-14, 07:56 PM
You could try this the other way around: rather than turn small animals into large, turn large into small.

eg
1 Turn a herd of elephants into mice.
2 Place mice in bag.
3 Throw bag into room.
4 Dismiss the spell for all recipients.
5 Profit!

Rising Phoenix
2010-07-14, 08:33 PM
Best scare I ever gave the PC's was them confronting an evil priest with the Animal domain. Leave now, or you shall all die... and the songbirds in the area all turned into assassins, surrounding the PC's. (The party won, but with 2 PC deaths.)

I am stealing this.