PDA

View Full Version : Last Redoubt

Pages : [1] 2

appending_doom
2010-07-15, 05:52 AM
It is the dawn of First Watch, the time that to surface-dwellers might be called morning, and Rasht'dajath is shifting from night watch to the day's work.

The bustling community of 1,326 humans, kalashtar, xeph, and sundry other races moves with the practiced air of routine, but with the leaden movements of a world without much else other than routine to live by.

"Hey! Anyone seen Niev?" Chorad, the head miner of the settlement, walks among the gathering miners, looking for the recruits assigned to his company for the day. Guarding, or worse, helping, the miners is one of the least glamorous jobs in Rasht', and it always takes some time to find those assigned to it. "Laskin? Mari? Come on, those kids have got to be around here somewhere..."

Sallera
2010-07-15, 03:59 PM
Huddled in the shadow of a nearby building, Niev sits with one arm around her knees, sipping tea from a metal flask. Eyes closed, she slowly lets the calling voice filter through into her unwilling mind, waiting for the last possible moment that will allow her to avoid seeming to be hiding. A few seconds more pass before she opens her eyes with a sigh. Stopping the flask and stowing it in an inside pocket of her dark green cloak, she stands and brushes the dust off the fabric before emerging into the slightly brighter gathering area.

"Hello, Chorad. First Watch already?" There is no sense of purpose in her stride, but she reaches the caller regardless, greeting him with a half-raised hand.

FirebirdFlying
2010-07-15, 06:42 PM
Mari comes hurtling down a narrow street, dodging past the odd miner or two and coming to an abrupt halt several yards away from Niev and Chorad. Oh good. I'm not late this time. I think… As her heavy breathing subsides, she approaches with a more dignified walk coupled with a yawn. "G'day."

acid_ninja
2010-07-15, 09:44 PM
Laskin tightens the straps on his armor once more each movement precise and deliberate, with no wasted motion.
Perform every action as if it is the last thing you will ever do he thinks as he does so. Satisfied that he is prepared, Laskin strides forward towards Chorad.
I am ready

appending_doom
2010-07-16, 05:17 AM
Chorad grumbles at his errant guardians, even as he shouts back to the gathered workers, "Let's get going! That iron vein isn't going to mine itself!"

The miners' chatter dies away as they gather their kits for the day (as much as any time spent in the dark below the earth can be called day) and head for the new vein of iron ore discovered a week ago by an exploratory dig.

Other digs might be willing to go without guards, but this one is dangerously close to Khyber; it wouldn't be worth it had not there been hints that the iron was of high enough quality to forge adamantine from it.

Still, this didn't stop the miners from spreading rumors of ghosts and demons seen lurking that deep.

Surely nothing more than rumors, but Lasht' didn't survive this long beneath the surface of Eberron by being reckless.

acid_ninja
2010-07-16, 06:09 AM
Laskin strides to the forefront of the company. If there are more than rumors waiting in the dark he will meet them head on

Sallera
2010-07-16, 11:15 AM
Niev drops back to walk with Mari, taking out the flask again. "Good day to you as well, although," she adds with a wry smile, "this doesn't look to be the most auspicious start to it. Tea?"

FirebirdFlying
2010-07-16, 09:40 PM
"Oh, yes, please." Covering another yawn, Mari grins up at Niev. "It'll do me good - overslept again. Stayed up reading, you know how it is…probably not the best idea." Her grin fades. "You know, I was reading, some demons down there can make themselves sound like your dead loved ones. They call your name, and when you've gone after them far enough away from the path they drain all the flesh from your body and wear your face. Along with all the others they've collected."

appending_doom
2010-07-16, 10:19 PM
A few murmurs from those closest to Mari suggests her commentary isn't helping the superstitious mood today.

Neither is the lighting -- even everburning torches seem to be flickering as if on the edge of dying. The day is going to be a gloomy one, and the miners keep closing in small packs and muttering to themselves.

The word "nightmare" keeps drifting through the crowds, a word that has an all-too sinister meaning below Eberron's surface.

Soon enough, however, they reach the twisting iron mine Chorad is overseeing, and Chorad stops at the entrance, turning to his assignees.

"Now, we've found no side-passages down there, and generally it's better if we don't have any outsiders messing around the mine. But we're close to a few entrances to Khyber down here, and so it's your job to keep anything dangerous out." He wrinkles his square face at the thought of Khyber monsters. "Of course, if we run into anything troublesome, we'll give you a shout, and directions, through the ring."

He is speaking, of course, of the two circles of sound, crafted by a master artificer who was a part of the early settlement. Their range is nearly a mile, and at times essential for communication deep beneath the earth. He hands one of the rings to Laskin.

acid_ninja
2010-07-17, 12:00 AM
Laskin puts the ring on his right hand.
Understood. Nothing will get by us.

Laskin draws his sword and moves to take up a guard post near the entrance. He stands still as a statue but alert, giving the impression that he is prepared to stand without twitching a muscle all day if necessary.

Sallera
2010-07-17, 12:20 AM
Niev hands the flask to Mari, eyes widening at the tale. "Sounds like a nasty lot. What do they need the faces for, though, I wonder? If they catch people by calling for them? Is it just some sort of... trophy?"

She stops with the others, and leans against the wall next to the entrance. "Well, we won't need to worry about face-collecting demons on this job, at least, but I'm sure there's plenty of variety in Khyber's denizens. A tool for every job - if there were someone to pick, which we can hope there isn't."

FirebirdFlying
2010-07-17, 10:31 AM
Mari shrugs, sipping tea. "Didn't say. I'd guess so, though. I mean, the faces would probably dry up or decay or something after a while." She glances down the tunnel, across at Laskin, and back at Niev. "I've never actually met anything down here, though. Besides the odd fungus worm."

Sallera
2010-07-17, 11:48 AM
"Yeah, they don't seem to have much desire to leave. Still, if we sit around on their doorstep taunting them... who knows? Might try to have us end up in someone's face collection after all." Niev raises an eyebrow. "Oh, maybe that's what they do with them! Dry them out and hang them on a wall somewhere... could have a whole row of them staring down at you."

appending_doom
2010-07-17, 05:50 PM
A quiet sound, much like the movements of small vermin through the tunnels beneath Eberron, disrupts the general quiet of the twisting passages.

Movement almost seems to flicker through the darkness beyond the reach of their everburning lanterns, but to see more, one would need to explore beyond the small entrance.

Laskin:

At the same time, a startled voice speaks from the ring of sound:

"What in Siberys' name-?"

The voice itself cuts off abruptly, as if the power of the ring itself has been broken.

acid_ninja
2010-07-18, 02:08 AM
Laskin lets his inner senses take over, reaching out with his mind to detect any hostility directed towards him. (Manifesting Detect Hostile Intent)

Quiet. Something's wrong.

He speaks into the ring:
Chorad? Are you okay?

Sallera
2010-07-18, 02:38 AM
"Tch." As amusing as it would be to think the conversation had made the normally unflappable Laskin nervous, that hardly seemed likely. And there was something odd about that noise... it was probably better to err on the side of caution. She nods to Mari, briefly channeling energy through her body and trying to discern the source of the sound.

Manifesting Vigor.
Listen: [roll0]

FirebirdFlying
2010-07-18, 11:38 AM
Mari nods back at Niev as a small rock clambers its way out of Mari's belt pouch, crawling down her leg to end up on the floor beside her. She stares down the tunnels, listening - much like the rock, which although expressionless gives off the impression of alertness.

Listen (M): [roll0]
Listen (P): [roll1]

appending_doom
2010-07-18, 01:55 PM
Laskin

It is said that holy warriors can go mad in Khyber, as their ability to sense evil is overwhelmed by the darkness below the earth.

Even seeking only hostile emotions, you can see how such people might avoid the depths, as a subtle malevolence pervades the tunnel. But you sense no creature actively seeking you ill.

The speaking stone hisses and crackles, and then goes dead.

Mari

Mari's psicrystal sends disjointed thoughts along their bond -- something -- larger than a normal rat -- not too far away.

FirebirdFlying
2010-07-18, 03:15 PM
"There's something there," Mari whispers. "Not - big. Should I…?" She gestures towards the entrance.

Sallera
2010-07-18, 06:26 PM
Niev frowns, reaching out to take one of the everburning torches. "Not alone," she whispers back. "Have your crystal take a look if you can, but otherwise we should all go."

acid_ninja
2010-07-18, 08:47 PM
Whatever is out there, it isn't actively hunting us. But I can't raise Chorad on this ring. We need to go and find out what's happened to them.

FirebirdFlying
2010-07-18, 09:42 PM
Mari nods, and the crystal skitters down into the tunnel.

acid_ninja
2010-07-18, 09:58 PM
Laskin takes the lead, trusting his augmented senses to warn him of any attack, and heads down the mine towards where Chorad and the others were working.

Sallera
2010-07-18, 11:34 PM
"Kuh! You..." The hissing whisper barely escapes her before she bites it back. No choice, then. It was probably the correct choice - if the circle was dead, then something untoward had certainly happened - but rushing off without at least having a look first didn't feel right. "Come on, then. We can't split up now." She motions Mari forward, taking the rear and holding the torch high, glancing backward every few steps.

FirebirdFlying
2010-07-19, 12:31 AM
Mari gives Laskin an irritated look before following quietly at Niev's behest. She can feel the slight disorientation of not having the crystal close already, and stares vaguely past Laskin's shoulder as her focus shifts to wherever the rock is.

appending_doom
2010-07-19, 05:43 PM
The group leaves whatever was lurking outside the mine to discover what has surprised the miners.

The mines are tight -- only large enough to fit one abreast -- and twisting almost at random. While the paths branch almost incessantly, arrows etched in the stone guide the errant towards the main mine.

Something about the mines seems odd, although it isn't immediately obvious what.

Wisdom checks

Sallera
2010-07-19, 06:15 PM
Ugh, how were they planning on getting the ore out of here? Mentally cursing as she scrapes against another rough protrusion, Niev wraps her cloak tighter around herself, still trying to hold the torch where it won't interfere with her vision. Well, this isn't really anything new, but under conditions like this, even these passages seem like they're out to get us...

Wisdom: [roll0]

FirebirdFlying
2010-07-19, 08:22 PM
…I hate mines. It's official. Never again. She trudges along, staring mostly at her feet. Her psicrystal has scuttled back, and clings like an odd sort of bird to her shoulder. They might even be down one of these side passages.

[roll0]

acid_ninja
2010-07-19, 08:52 PM
Laskin keeps his calm, despite the thoughts that come unbidden Perhaps I will have a chance to test myself.

Widsom Check:
[roll0]

appending_doom
2010-07-20, 05:15 PM
Laskin:

It occurs to Laskin that there aren't any noises surrounding them -- even of mining.

Niev:

The miners have abandoned their duties, if the all-encompassing silence is anything to go by.

Luckily, the same silence means there's about an even chance that they haven't gotten involved in a pitched battle for their lives.

As the troupe moves further along, the dimness of their surroundings recedes; it's still dark, but there's something more welcoming about the darkness. And something like a pure, clear bells cuts through the eerie silence.

Will saves

Sallera
2010-07-20, 05:55 PM
All these passages... should probably carry sound better than they appear to be. Niev places a hand on Mari's shoulder. "I don't know about you," she murmurs, "but I haven't heard anything other than us in here. Maybe they're just hiding, or this mine doesn't carry sound as well as I think it should, but this might be a good time to start preparing for the worst."

The incongruous sound of bells a few minutes later is almost a relief, but it makes even less sense than the previous silence.

Will: [roll0]

FirebirdFlying
2010-07-20, 07:44 PM
Mari nods, trying to walk even more quietly, and places a careful hand on her sword. "Do you think - " she begins, before being interrupted by the bells.

[roll0]

acid_ninja
2010-07-20, 07:46 PM
Dead silent. But no sounds of fighting either.

[roll0]

appending_doom
2010-07-21, 05:14 AM
Mari and Niev

After a moment, you realize how soothing the chiming is, a balm to the broken soul, and a calming influence.

It seems like a good idea to try to find the source; the fact that the other presumably did the same thing, and have vanished, seems unimportant.

You are fascinated, and must make another Will save.

Laskin

You brush off the seductive lure of the bells, only to notice something...odd about them. Not that they are perfectly clear, but that they aren't echoing. In fact, the more you think on it, the more you think the chimes are all in your head.

Sallera
2010-07-21, 10:54 AM
If we follow this, we ought to find something useful. Now if we could just find out where it's coming from... Halting, Niev turns in a slow circle, concentrating on the sound of the bells.

FirebirdFlying
2010-07-21, 11:43 AM
Had Niev not stopped, she would likely have tripped over Mari, who halted abruptly enough to almost trip herself. "That must be…" she breathed, listening closely.

[roll0]

acid_ninja
2010-07-21, 07:46 PM
Don't! Do not follow the bells. Listen, they do not echo. Whatever they are, they are in your mind. You must try to focus. Whatever befell the miners, I think its connected to the bells.

appending_doom
2010-07-21, 07:58 PM
While Mari and Niev can still feel the suggestion to draw closer to the source, it is no more than a niggling thought, a possible decision. Laskin's warning, if anything, weakens the hold of the unnatural draw held by the sound.

Still, the source of the bells seem the most likely way to determine what, if anything, has gone wrong.

And you do vaguely remember there being a larger gallery, an open area where the miners shared some of their more unique finds, as well as gathered for meals. If the source is mobile, it seems likely it would be brought there. If not, there's a chance the more resilient miners may have found their way there.

FirebirdFlying
2010-07-22, 10:28 PM
"Right, which is why we should find the bells!

…Do you remember how to get to that meeting place they had?"

Sallera
2010-07-22, 11:18 PM
"Yes... as long as we approach cautiously, I don't see why we shouldn't follow them. If we don't know where the gathering place is, then... all we need to do is give in to the suggestion." Niev takes Mari's hand and squeezes past Laskin, letting the hand with the torch fall down to her side.

"May as well look the part," she explains. "Whatever it is, it'll probably be expecting us, but as long as at least one of us is paying enough attention to know when we're getting close, we can stop before we reach it and scout properly." Niev starts walking slowly along, taking a route determined partly by the arrows and partly by the pull of the bells. "Let me know if I take any paths that don't feel right," she murmurs to Mari. "You can feel it too, right?"

appending_doom
2010-07-23, 04:55 AM
It's strange; the sense is something like the old kalashtar game of "forward-back" -- you can tell when you get closer, and when you get further from the source.

But there seems to be a twist to the strange compulsion. Turning back towards the tunnels outside the mine elicits a feeling of wrongness, of pain and death. Either the source is more manipulative than you thought, or it has a sense of when its thralls are in danger and wants to prevent that.

If the latter, it's promising.

acid_ninja
2010-07-26, 12:35 AM
I will not be tempted by the bells. You lead on and I will be there to aid you if needed.

Laskin follows the pair, weapon at the ready.

Sallera
2010-07-26, 01:43 AM
Following the compulsion is almost pleasant, after a while, a soothing sense of direction that makes the task of navigating the narrow passages less arduous. Still, the jarring sense of danger Niev feels whenever she considers a turn that leads back to the exit keeps her from falling further into a daze. It's an odd contrast, so different from the subtle emotions the bells use to tell her when she's getting closer. "That noise we heard back at the entrance... do you think something's still behind us? I can't tell where the feeling's coming from, but if it's not just the bells..." Her voice still doesn't rise above a soft murmur; something about the place discourages normal speech.

appending_doom
2010-07-26, 12:52 PM
Slowly, the narrow tunnels give way to a wider gallery, and new noises join the chiming -- harmonies that twist and make a simple melody, and this close, the psychic song becomes something more.

Warm yellow light spilling over an impossibly large expanse of greenery, colorful specks of plant life scattered across the open space.

A woman handing a green stem topped with a colorful spray of leaves to a young man; he smiles at her, and your heart warms.

An impossibly dark space filled with bubbling steam nourishes a tiny, insignificant plant that twists slowly in the strange, liquid wind.

A flame, colored silver-white, bursts into life in the cupped hands of a human child.

Emotions flood over those gathered in the gallery, and this close, it is almost impossible to focus on the fascinated, unmoving groups of miners, for the sake of the singer. But they are arrayed around a crystalline object the size of a fist -- almost translucent, its surface is marked with streaks of midnight blue, and deep within, you can see blood-red swirls. The entire thing is illuminated with almost golden light that shines from within.

Laskin

The ring of sound in your hand begins to make an ominous cracking sound.

Everyone

Knowledge (arcana) or (the planes), if you wish.

FirebirdFlying
2010-07-26, 10:59 PM
"There could be two things, then. That don't necessarily like each other much. Maybe the bells are trying…" Mari's eyes have been closed, trusting Niev to keep her away from walls and focusing on the strange compulsion, but as they draw closer and the images grow clearer she opens them. "…It's beautiful," she whispers, before coming to focus on the crystal. What is that…? I swear I've…

Planes: [roll0]
Arcana: [roll1]

acid_ninja
2010-07-26, 11:31 PM
Laskin hurriedly takes the ring off of his finger and drops it on the ground. He tries to focus and rid his mind of the images. I don't like this and its definitely no time to be distracted.
I have no idea what that thing is but I don't trust it. Perhaps we should try to get one of the miners' attention and find out more.

Laskin looks for Chorad in the group of miners.

Sallera
2010-07-27, 12:33 AM
Niev nods, staring at the crystal. "Beautiful, yes, and such... promise. Surely this is something more than a simple trap..." She halts in the doorway, still holding Mari's hand, and not quite willing to approach any closer lest the wave of emotions take her in completely.

appending_doom
2010-07-27, 05:56 AM
The ring of sound continues to crackle warningly as it strikes the ground. None of the miners seem to notice.

Chorad seems to be standing near the center of the mass, very close to the strange crystal. He is frowning, thoughtfully, but appears to be as enthralled as the rest.

Mari

At first glance, it looks like a dragonshard, but by your recollection, no single dragonshard has this appearance. The outer layer itself looks like a Khyber shard -- used to make items that bind spirits. The inner seems to be an Eberron shard -- used to power magical items. And the glow around the shard is that of Siberys shards -- those used to augment the power of those who wield them.

If a construction, this item is meant to have significant power. If a natural formation, it is nothing you have ever heard of before.

A flickering mental touch sweeps through the three new arrivals. There seems to be no actual probe or hostile thrust, but it is disconcerting.

Niev

A voice speaks into your mind. finally!

The word seems to be in Common, but the touch and the word fades as soon as you hear it.

The song twists into a natural climax and dies, slowly, leaving only the echoing chords in one's mind.

Sallera
2010-07-27, 11:12 AM
Niev's eyes narrow as she stares at the crystal. A conscious entity? She turns to Mari, not quite ready to address whatever it might be directly. "Did you hear that voice as well? I could try establishing a mindlink with... whatever it is, but it would be nice to have a better idea of what it might be, first."

FirebirdFlying
2010-07-27, 06:31 PM
"I didn't hear a voice - Niev, that's a dragonshard. Sort of. A very weird one. Nothing I've ever heard of. …And they're not sentient. I have to see this closer…" Mari steps forward towards the shard, angling to pick it up.

Sallera
2010-07-27, 08:04 PM
Niev follows along, glancing around the room. "I heard a voice say 'finally,' just before the song ended. If it's not from the shard itself, could there be something bound in it? I'm not sure touching it would be a good idea, if so."

acid_ninja
2010-07-28, 07:44 PM
Listen to Mari, Niev.

Laking focuses his awareness on the crystal.

Manifesting detect hostile intent.

appending_doom
2010-07-28, 08:19 PM
The crystal appears unresponsive as the people approach. With the end of the song, the miners seem to be slowly drifting out of their dazes.

Laskin

When Laskin focuses on the crystal, however, he senses an empty void in space. It seems an impossible result, as the power picks up on every sparking of anger, hatred, and violence in a thinking creature's mind, enough to register the moment a creature's idle thoughts turn to violence.

As per the power's description, you can attempt to Sense Motive against the apparently inanimate crystal as a free action.

Sallera
2010-07-30, 10:56 AM
Niev shoots Laskin an annoyed glance. "I am listening. Why do you think I'm asking questions?" She stops awkwardly as she realizes her voice had come out at normal volume, and was clearly audible in the now-quiet cavern.

Her gaze is drawn swiftly back to the shard as they reach it, barely noticing the miners. "It must have stopped for a reason," she murmurs. "The timing was too close to be coincidence."

FirebirdFlying
2010-07-30, 12:08 PM
"Maybe it wanted everyone in here… anyone got a piece of cloth, or something?" Mari bends down to it, not quite touching, peering deeper into it.

appending_doom
2010-07-30, 04:28 PM
As close as Mari is, the colors are more distinct, the clear lines of midnight blue and blood red sharply distinct.

Mari

Make a Spot check.

Chorad approaches Laskin. His contemplative look is gone, and he looks annoyed, the sort of expression that can mean he is impatient, annoyed, worried, or confused.

"I don't suppose you lot have an explanation for this," he grumbles. "Some idiot dug up the rock and stuck it in here to show everyone. I guess this was a good place to echo, because soon everyone heard it, and dragged me down here to listen."

Sallera
2010-08-01, 04:11 AM
Niev unclasps her cloak and drapes it around Mari's shoulders. "Here. If you want to get a better look at it, at least this has a little protection in the fabric." She watches the shard uneasily, unable to remove her gaze from it for long. "Do you think it's possible that there is something trapped in there? I'm tempted to try linking to it, but if it was some sort of demon, that could be as risky as touching it physically."

FirebirdFlying
2010-08-01, 12:30 PM
"Thanks. I don't know - there's no documented instances of such that I remember. I wish I had a library…better not to link to it, though. Might try to hypnotize you again." With the cloak covering her hand, Mari picks up the rock. "I don't see anything else - you?" She holds it up to Niev.

Sallera
2010-08-01, 02:33 PM
Niev gazes deeper into the stone, then after a minute shakes her head. "A beautiful crystal, but I don't see anything new. I wonder where those visions it showed us came from... someone's recorded impressions, or just constructs?"

appending_doom
2010-08-01, 03:19 PM
Wisdom check.

The crystal appears to have been unreactive through this entire exchange. However, shortly after the stone is removed from its base, a faint, real sound carries through the cavern.

The noise is faint, but just loud enough to be heard, as it was designed to be.

You see, it is the alarm for the city of Rasht'dajath.

There are three patterns for the warning bells: one to recall the city's inhabitants to its center, one to warn them of a need to return -- albeit cautiously -- to defend, and one to tell them to flee the city in expectation of its fall.

This is the second pattern, a sign of an assault, albeit one you could have some hope of repelling.

So probably not an illithid invasion.

Sallera
2010-08-01, 04:22 PM
Niev jerks back from the stone as the alarm sounds, her face twisting into an expression of concern and more than a little guilt. "Nn, we have to get out of here. Put the stone in the lower-right pocket, it's empty." She looks over at Chorad. "I suppose we'll get back a lot faster with one of them guiding us, though."

Wisdom: [roll0]

FirebirdFlying
2010-08-01, 06:46 PM
Mari nods, putting the stone away and handing the cloak back to Niev. "We'll all go back together. You want to guard the front or the rear?" She pauses, and swallows. "That thing we thought we heard at the entrance…do you think…"

Sallera
2010-08-01, 08:28 PM
Niev cringes as Mari puts her thoughts into words, wrapping the cloak around herself. "I'd like to think not, but, well...." She shakes her head, once, trying to focus on the present situation. "We should guard the front. Whatever the trouble is, we're heading to meet it, right?"

appending_doom
2010-08-04, 10:11 PM
With little urging from Chorad, the miners do gather quietly behind the three guards, as if ready to follow their lead. Chorad glances at them, and then at the twisting tunnels away from the central chamber.

"We might want to get back quickly. You know we're always warned about drills..."

The ringing trails off. You doubt it means the danger is over, and even if it does, leaving the village undefended so shortly after an emergency seems wrong.

Sallera
2010-08-05, 02:03 AM
Niev nods, heading for the exit. "Let's go, then. Stay behind us and tell us the fastest way out of here."

The barest flicker of energy touches her limbs as they exit the cavern, preparation for the powers that will soon be needed. "Well, I've no idea what we're running into, but as long as we stay close we'll get through it," she murmurs, although whether the statement is meant for Mari's benefit or her own is unclear.

appending_doom
2010-08-05, 06:34 AM
Chorad helps you navigate the twisting paths of the mines with apparent ease, while the city itself continues to broadcast eerie silence. The crystal performs no further apparent effects, and as near as you can tell, you are not followed by anything.

As you draw close to the outer buildings of Rasht'dajath, however, you can hear indistinct noises, those of voices.

You think you might recognize Qushtathmelk's voice, but the other is unfamiliar. Something else is odd, however.

And after a moment, you realize it. A shaft of golden light pierces the ceiling of the great cavern, illuminating the city center. You're not entirely certain what it signifies.

Knowledge (nature). (It's DC 10, so Int check otherwise)

FirebirdFlying
2010-08-05, 02:07 PM
"That's not sunlight, is it?" Mari hisses.

Knowledge:Nature[roll0]

Sallera
2010-08-05, 08:23 PM
Niev's stare flicks between Mari and the light, and she lets out a slow breath. "Is that even possible? I mean, we weren't..."

She tilts her head after a moment, listening to the voices. "Do you think we should let the crystal scout? I mean, it doesn't sound like an invasion, but that doesn't mean much."

FirebirdFlying
2010-08-06, 10:06 PM
"Seems like we should be cautious." The psicrystal skitters down Mari's arm and leg, setting off for the voices.

appending_doom
2010-08-08, 04:26 PM
Mari

The psicrystal sends back a running commentary as it scouts forward; most of the city's inhabitants seem to have migrated to the center of town, in an eerie similarity to the crystal's summoning power.

This, however, seems to have a much more mundane source, as four crystalline constructs twice the height of a human stand at the edges of the central square, protecting a conflict that seems to cinsist of Qushtathmelk arguing with a tall, attractive humanoid female.

[roll0]
[roll1]

The psicrystal reports back that she is human, although it's unclear what brought her to Rashtdajath.

"I told you already," Qush' growls, "I don't know what you're talking about. No one in this city's left in close to a century."

The woman sighs and retorts, And I didn't ask if any of your people were skulking about making trouble. I asked where the Khorvaire spies are hidden."

All this is reported to you through your empathic link (note that you don't actually see or hear any of this, but have it relayed).

FirebirdFlying
2010-08-08, 05:18 PM
"…There's a woman there. In the center of the city. She seems to think Qushtathmelk's hiding spies. From Khorvaire, of all places. The spies, I mean. Everyone's going towards the central square."

appending_doom
2010-08-09, 05:25 PM
Mari

The psicrystal inquires if it is to return or remain to watch the exchange.

FirebirdFlying
2010-08-09, 05:27 PM
Stay there, for now.

Sallera
2010-08-09, 08:17 PM
"Ah... correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't that sound rather ridiculous?" Niev shakes her head, although it does nothing to help her make sense of the situation. "I mean, you know more about this sort of thing than I, but I can't see any spies choosing Rasht' of all places to hide in. And when was the last time anyone from outside showed up here? How'd she even find the place?"

FirebirdFlying
2010-08-12, 12:11 AM
Mari shakes her head. "No - I mean, yes, it is ridiculous. I'm honestly more worried about the giant hole in the rock up there."

Sallera
2010-08-12, 12:23 AM
"Yes, that... could be a problem. Although it doesn't make any more sense than the other. What could possibly have happened to let light this far down? Provided it's real, and not some illusion..." Niev sighs, squinting at the light. "Maybe we should just stay here and listen for a little while?"

appending_doom
2010-08-12, 06:04 AM
Mari

The psicrystal seems...on edge. It relates a continued portion of the conversation. The woman edges closer, and Qush' seems to quail in the face of her anger.

"I am not a patient person, Qushtathmelk. You should remember that. And I was against this little preserve anyway. If you give me a reason-"

"What sort of spies would be here anyway?" Qush demands frantically.

"Why, the sort looking for you," the intruder says.

Make a Knowledge (psionics) roll.

Dreamcatcher

The night was too confusing for you. Warforged need not sleep and should not dream. You have found ways to...trance, you suppose, which at times allows you the same frustration and confusion found among those who dream naturally.

Luckily, you never have to put up with a full eight hours of that.

But the night revealed worrying visions. A pit of shadows enveloping Rasht'dajath, and a blinding light ensconcing the world beyond it. A small patch of ordinary lighting, where the light and darkness mixed, had sat at the very edge of the village.

It had seemed very simple in the morning, when you decided to spend your day lurking near the twilit area, rather than the ones that would be overwhelmed by light or darkness.

The intruders came as only a mild surprise; discretion seemed the better part of valor. After all, one rarely made the difference in confrontations of this type. You were carefully hidden in a storage shed when a number of villagers -- miners, you recalled -- approached the town. And with them were two other of the village's talented people, including a twin-souled kalashtar.

Fishy
2010-08-12, 09:15 AM
From his hiding place on the edge of the village, Dreamcatcher looked at the shaft of light over the town and the darkness surrounding it- the exact opposite of his vision. Where was truth? In his eyes or his dreams? Where should he go, to stand on the path to light, facing the darkness?

Because suddenly, he remembered that was where he wanted to stand. "Cowardice," said the warforged, in a soft bass monotone that rustles with beads and feathers, "A subtle one. I shall remember it."

And with that, he goes to join the group headed towards the village. "Sister, Dreamer," he said with a respectful nod at Niev and Mari respectively. "I believe we will be needed, although I do not know why and I am not sure where."

"This is perhaps not very helpful," he adds, in his usual artificial deadpan.

FirebirdFlying
2010-08-12, 10:28 AM
Mari blinked. "Um. Well. No, not, not really…I'm sorry, do I know you?" She's a bit distracted, obviously, staring not quite at his face. "She knows him. She - was against Rasht?"

K:Psi[roll0]

appending_doom
2010-08-12, 10:38 AM
Niev, Mari

Dreamcatcher isn't seen much in the village, so his appearance is certainly unusual. Qush', as well as some other elders, are wary of him, while a number of people turn to him for aid in deciphering what the future holds for them.

He is one of the three or for eldest creatures in the village, warforged having a warantee extendening beyond the normal human (or kalashtar) lifespan.

Mari

The woman is suggesting she was present during the Lightning Strike, nearly a century before. She cannot possibly be that old -- unless it is only her memories that were present at the Strike, and not her body.

That suggests that she could be a kalashtar.

The realization takes several moments, because for all that they dominate the nightmares of the people of Rasht'dajath, no one has seen one in close to a century.

Because the other creature the intruder could be is an Inspired, agent and host to the Quori of the Dreaming Dark.

FirebirdFlying
2010-08-12, 04:42 PM
"…She might be a kalashtar, to be so old. She might be - " Mari flaps her hand " - something else. You know. I think - think we should, go. There. Or. I don't know."

Sallera
2010-08-12, 08:46 PM
Niev manages an aside nod to the warforged, with a murmured greeting of "Seer." The look of concern on her face is plain as she listens to Mari, however, and she doesn't answer him immediately.

"Alright, I'll trust you. If it is... yes, we probably should." Niev offers her hand. "You alright? Try to keep listening if you can." She glances at Dreamcatcher. "Needed, hm? Well, everyone else is headed over there. Let's try and stay inconspicuous, though, however that'll work."

Fishy
2010-08-16, 12:51 AM
"Scornful doubt," Dreamcatcher remarks, after a moment's reflection. "It is a good idea, but I suspect that my presence will make that difficult- and also I apologize if I have unsettled you, Dreamer. Nevertheless, I would like to see what is going on with my own eyes."

"I shall go ahead, feel free to follow at whatever distance you feel necessary."

appending_doom
2010-08-16, 07:18 PM
"We won't follow you that far," Chorad growls. "Something else it may be, and that's enough for us to stay away"

The buildings of the city are irregularly-spaced, with fairly wide paths between them. If one makes an effort, one could move fairly invisibly among them. Of course, one could also make an effort convincing the miners to join along.

Sallera
2010-08-16, 08:27 PM
Niev frowns slightly, remembering the still-unidentified noise they'd heard earlier. "Yes, we're only going to find out what's happening, for now... Laskin, perhaps you should stay with them? We can stay out of mind more easily as two, anyway."

She looks over at the city as she waits for Dreamcatcher to get a short distance ahead, trying to remember the locations she uses for avoiding attention without seeming to be hiding. "All we have to do is stay out of sight of the centre... we don't want to look like we're sneaking around..." she mumbles as she attempts to put a mental map together.

"Alright." She nods to Mari as Dreamcatcher rounds the first corner. "Shall we?"

FirebirdFlying
2010-08-17, 07:12 PM
"Let's." Mari walks relatively quickly, slowing down as they reach the crowd near the argument.

appending_doom
2010-08-18, 05:12 PM
As you draw closer to the center of town, it becomes unnecessary for the psicrystal to convey the tone of events, as the woman's and Qush's voices are raised in heated argument.

"We have let your little village flourish because you pose no threat to us! If you harbor those who believe you will lead them in rebellion against us..."

Qush sighs, a weak, defeated sound. "There is nothing here to find. We have seen no visitors to this village in close to a century. And even so, what frightens you about a few kalashtar?"

There is a dangerous growl from the woman. "Twelve of you yet live in this village," she says quietly. "That is more than a few, and it is enough to be concerned about, if rabble-rousers attempt to arouse their ire. So you will let us search for these intruders, and in return, we will allow you...peace."

FirebirdFlying
2010-08-19, 01:02 AM
"…One wonders," Mari mutters mostly to herself, "why, when attempting to not, ah, rouse the population, one would not do so in such a spectacular and disruptive manner."

The psicrystal clicks quietly towards her, and she picks it up gently, settling it on her shoulder.

Sallera
2010-08-19, 11:24 AM
"And one that would so obviously alert any of these supposed Khorvairan spies," murmurs Niev, shaking her head. "Unless she has the whole place surrounded to catch anyone that tries to run. And given that we came in one way, that seems unlikely - although not impossible. So, the question is..."

Fishy
2010-08-20, 02:57 AM
Dreamcatcher makes his way carefully through the crowd, keeping his eyes on the intruders- and his more metaphysical senses besides. Dreamcatcher uses Detect Spirits, scanning the intruders first, and then a random sampling of the crowd.

Is there anyone present that Dreamcatcher knows is a Kalashtar? He enjoys talking with them when he can, and has lived here for a long time...

appending_doom
2010-08-20, 05:08 AM
Dreamcatcher

You know Qush and Mari are kalashtar, and you can easily pick out the other ten that dwell here.

The woman is obviously possessed; under the circumstances, you would have to assume by a Quori spirit.

Her guards appear to be utterly material, if still mysterious.

Qush stares for a few quiet moments before nodding tersely.

The woman smiles. "Good. Then let your people come forth to be...judged."

Fishy
2010-08-20, 10:05 AM
"In the spirit of full and peaceful cooperation," announces Dreamcatcher, making his way to the front of the crowd, "I volunteer to be 'judged' first."

appending_doom
2010-08-21, 07:57 AM
The woman smiles, a thin, nasty expression that leaves no doubt that there is some pretext or plot involved in this demand. She steps forward and meets Dreamcatcher's eyes, and something about her changes. It's not clear if it's her posture, her bearing, or something else entirely, but a strange haze descends over the warforged.

Dreamcatcher

You feel a probing presence, and, before you can react to it, you feel something within you reaching back out to the probing.

The haze vanishes almost as quickly as it appeared, and the woman recoils, eyes wide and face draining of color.

"Impossible!" she hisses.

The loss of composure lasts only a moment, however, before her face hardens. "I might have thought something like this would happen if we left you alone too long," she growls. Then she raises her voice, carrying throughout the gathered crowd. "This warforged is found guilty of the crimes of kidnapping, wrongful imprisonment, and heresy, for which the penalty is death."

She raises one hand, and the strange constructs around her move in towards Dreamcatcher.

Roll initiative!

[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]

Sallera
2010-08-21, 12:02 PM
"Good luck making that stick," mutters Niev, faint flickers of light already playing over her left hand as she spreads her fingers. She turns to Mari, expression solemn, and places a hand on her shoulder. "Looks like this is the first step on the path. Make sure you live through it; I'd hate to walk alone."

Init: [roll0]

FirebirdFlying
2010-08-21, 01:41 PM
"Thanks," and Mari briefly brushes Niev's hand.

[roll0]

Fishy
2010-08-22, 01:55 AM
"Interesting claims," responds Dramcatcher, calmly. "Do you have proof of these accusations, or are you a band of roving thugs sent to execute the first person you came across?"

[roll0]

appending_doom
2010-08-22, 02:52 PM
The woman does not reply, but Qush, backing away from her at top speed, does. "She is one of the Inspired and, carries the full weight of the law of Dal Quor. I won't-" His face crumples in a sort of pain. "We can't fight her, if she wishes to kill us all."

The woman seems to ignore the comment, punching forward with a kick to Dreamcatcher's chest. Her foot seems to darken as it moves, until it explodes into a cloud of shadow.

Normal Melee, flat-footed:
[roll]1d10+1d6+1

If it hits, make a Will save.

Almost immediately after, a lance of violet energy spears down from the rooftops, aiming towards the Inspired.

Ranged Touch: [roll1]
[roll2]

The blast causes the Inspired to make a shocked sound in the back of her throat as the energy cuts into her flesh like a knife.

MAP

Rasht Battle (https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Ak-wpwe8SySIdFNuQktSLUhLTmx0amlycXBVbFdFR0E&authkey=CP7OmN4M&hl=en&pli=1#gid=0)

Each of you are noted
DC = Dreamcatcher
NV = Niev
MR = Mari
IN = Inspired
RW = "robot" warriors
QU = Qush
??? = Mystery assailant
pp = crowds of people, difficult terrain

The dark areas are buildings, with the elevation written on them.

Sallera
2010-08-22, 03:04 PM
The light playing over Niev's fingers snaps inward, rushing through her body and causing every curve and angle to appear more precise, more sharply defined. Pulling away from Mari, she sidles through the crowd to its inner edge, getting close enough to strike.

Manifesting a wild-surged Vigor for 25thp, then moving to G22.
Enervation on a 1: [roll0]

Fishy
2010-08-23, 11:37 AM
[roll0]

"Run if you must," Dreamcatcher calls back to Qush, "My place is here, between the darkness and the-"

With an ear-piercing crack, Dreamcatcher is cut off in mid sentence. The agent's foot connects solidly with his chest, and snaps a chunk of his composite plating clean in half. He staggers, beads and string spilling out of his 'wound'- and expanding into a living, writhing net that fills the plaza.

Dreamcatcher burns his psionic focus to take 15 on the Concentration check to cast defensively, and fires off an Entangle.

Entangle (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/entangle.htm) is a stupidly large spell. Dreamcatcher will try to grab the agent and all of the robots- trying to catch as few civilians as he can, but not worrying about himself. I think that's a 40' radius spread centered on A15, unless I can't cast onto the brown tiles for some reason. (What are those, again?)

Anyway. Everybody in the affected area makes a DC 15 Reflex save, once a turn, or be entangled (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm#entangled).

[roll1]

FirebirdFlying
2010-08-26, 04:18 PM
Mari pulls at the living string that curls around her. Dammit… Wriggling out of its grasp, she hops over and around it, working her way across the square.

Ref: [roll0]
If I make the save:
Move to E20, attack robot thing at F17.
Ranged touch: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]
15/18 pp
Move to E20.

appending_doom
2010-08-27, 04:35 PM
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

[roll4]

appending_doom
2010-08-27, 04:42 PM
One of the robots is thoroughly entangled, and the Inspired seems hopelessly ensnared, as well. Qush appears caught in the trap, too, while only a few parts of the crowd are overrun.

The black-outlined squares are now entangling territory.

Two of the trapped one glance up towards where the bolt of energy came, as if searching. The third snaps its right arm out. Something like a crossbow has been welded to it. It fires at Dreamcatcher without preamble.

Spot: [roll0]
Spot: [roll1]

[roll2]

Attack: [roll3]
Damage: [roll4]

appending_doom
2010-08-27, 04:44 PM
The two searchers abruptly point upwards, and each ready their bows, firing up to the roofs on the east.

Spot to see it for yourself

[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3]

The bolts speed to either side of the roof, not hitting anything.

FirebirdFlying
2010-08-27, 04:45 PM

Sallera
2010-08-27, 04:59 PM

appending_doom
2010-08-27, 07:33 PM
On top of the roof is a small, humanoid form -- a child, halfling, or gnome, you suspect. It is crouched low, illuminated by the violet energy clutched in one hand.

appending_doom
2010-08-28, 08:47 AM
The Inspired's eyes flicker as she glares, and makes a strange, aborted gesture. Next, she smiles at Dreamcatcher. "Do you think wrapping chains around my body will stop me?"

Her eyes turn inward and down, as if praying. Perhaps she is, you think.

[roll0]

1/6

The air around her suddenly becomes hazy and difficult to perceive. It isn't clear where she's standing. "Get out of this mess and kill the interloper!" the Inspired screams.

Another blast arcs down from above, this time aiming for the warrior entangled in Dreamcatcher's spell.

[roll1]
[roll2]

The creatures are oddly clumsy, so the strike hits true, spattering against the metallic skin of the beast.

Sallera
2010-08-28, 12:33 PM
About to dive into the web of string, Niev holds her ground when the Inspired conceals her position. If she were focused on defense, then perhaps her soldiers were more important to her than they seemed, and they presented much easier targets. Scanning the threads wrapped around the nearest warrior, she picks out one that passes close by, and reaches out to lay a finger upon it. A line of fire ignites, running along the guiding string toward the trapped target.

Wild-surged energy ray at the entangled warrior.
Ranged touch: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1] fire
Enervation on 1: [roll2]

Fishy
2010-08-28, 06:57 PM
At the beginning of Dreamcatcher's turn, everyone caught in the spell makes another Reflex save, including himself.

[roll0]

Fishy
2010-08-28, 08:57 PM
"Yes," Dreamcatcher notes dryly. The web shifts, changing from a chaotic, tangled mass to an intricate fractal, which suddenly becomes painful to look at.

Chastise Spirits! Every Inspired and Kalashtar within 30' of Dreamcatcher takes [roll0], Will save DC 17 halves.

FirebirdFlying
2010-08-28, 11:19 PM
It looks like nothing so much as snapping off a piece of air and pushing it, what Mari does halfway between fighting off strands of - well, what she's not managed to get beyond thinking of as Dreamcatcher's guts. The air hurtles towards one of the soldier-things, shattering wherever it hits. Look at me, little construct.

Ref: [roll0]
Ranged touch: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2] (piercing)
EDIT: That's to the one at B17, by the way.

appending_doom
2010-08-29, 10:50 AM
Reflex Saves
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Will saves
[roll3]

The fire and shards seem to do little actual damage to the robot; it seems oddly resistant to physical harm, and the metallic form doesn't burn well. Still, the immobile warrior seems damaged by the attack.

Now there are three entangled by the webs; they struggle against the restraints while the Inspired glowers. The last free warrior escapes the area of effect, and takes another potshot at the hidden sniper.

appending_doom
2010-08-29, 10:55 AM
The Inspired winces at the sight of the projection. "You think stealing our power will get you anywhere, made thing? You won't survive this encounter!"

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2] 1-2 miss

The warrior's blaster bolt goes wild.

appending_doom
2010-08-29, 11:14 AM
Gah. Strength checks for robots to get out of web.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

"Regardless, I tire of this."

The Inspired glows blue for an instant -- as does the one warrior free of the entanglement.

Concentration: [roll3]

Then the two swap places, the warrior fully entangled in the web while its master is free.

Sadly, the location appears to be in the sniper's blind spot, and now free, the Inspired closes her eyes, as if concentrating even harder. She does not move.

Psicraft for details.

The sniper makes another shot at the nearest robot, perhaps hoping to chip away at its strength.

ranged touch: [roll4]
if hit: [roll5]

The metallic substance that makes up its form is beginning to show wear...and something is visible in between the gaps in the metal.

Spot (move action) to discern

Sallera
2010-08-29, 01:18 PM
Should have known fire wouldn't work... Niev glances around, quickly gauging distance. The Inspired was out of range, and she didn't much feel like casting a bolt straight through the crowd in any case. Studying the nearest warrior, she visualizes a link between them, then, almost as an afterthought, snaps her hand closed, ready to release a violent bolt of electricity into the entangled warrior's shell.

Psicraft: [roll0]
Active Spot: [roll1]
And another wild-surged energy ray, electricity this time, unless the previous two rolls reveal something important...
Ranged touch: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]

FirebirdFlying
2010-08-30, 04:17 PM
Mari struggles through the string, breaking free into the crowd with her sights set on the Inspired.

Reflex: [roll0]
Psicraft:[roll1]
Spot:[roll2]

appending_doom
2010-08-31, 04:42 PM
Mari

At first, it seems just like she's summoning and astral construct, but then you realize there is a beacon embedded in the power, calling for something to inhabit the body within.

Given everything you know about the Inspired, there is only one type of creature they would dare summon from the outer planes...

FirebirdFlying
2010-09-01, 11:29 PM
She's summoning quori. The pit of dread in Mari's stomach suddenly seems a lot deeper. "She's summoning quori!"

Sallera
2010-09-02, 12:30 AM
Niev briefly clenches her hands into fists, immediately dismissing the warriors. Fear flutters at the back of her mind, but it lacks importance in the face of the more immediate threat, and she ignores it. Damn it, I got too complacent. Never should have underestimated an Inspired. "Hit her with whatever you can, I'll be right there!"

appending_doom
2010-09-02, 08:48 PM
On top of the roof where the sniper has crouched, a monstrous form takes shape. Dozens of legs, too thin to support any weight, sprout from the headless, handless body; eyes glare from the creature's torso, and two glowing blades of force take the place of the thing's hands.

The crowd, already panicking at Mari's warning, try to flee away from the monster, as it closes in on the sniper and attacks it.

[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]

The Inspired, oddly, is not moving, her eyes fixed on the living nightmare.

Mari

Your psicraft was high enough to know - this power is maintained by concentration alone; rather than defeating the quori, you can attempt to break the manifester's focus.

Sallera
2010-09-03, 10:11 PM
Niev shivers as she watches the quori take form. She couldn't usually feel much from her shared spirit, and she couldn't be entirely certain the growing chill wasn't just her own reaction to the manifest nightmare, but such a creature could not be allowed to remain, regardless of what it took. As the crowd begins to recede, Niev skirts around the edge of Dreamcatcher's web, her form growing slightly hazy as wisps of fog follow her movements. Whatever she's doing, she's just made herself a target. She looks over at Mari, trying to time her attack so as not to interfere, then nods once, and the mist abruptly rushes forward, a swirl of fog briefly coalescing around a line of air between Niev and the Inspired as she releases the gathered energy.

Moving to I19, and a wild-surged energy ray at the Inspired. (I presume the edges of the crowd have moved out of her way.) Also spending an action point with Psionic Luck on the attack roll.
Ranged touch: [roll0] + [roll1]
Damage: [roll2] cold
Enervation on 1: [roll3]

appending_doom
2010-09-04, 06:10 AM
The blow from the quori nearly bisects the sniper's chest; the creature stumbles back, eyes wide in terror from the strike.

FirebirdFlying
2010-09-06, 01:16 AM
Mari sprints to the Inspired, casting about for something - if Niev can't make her flinch…Inspired. Quori. Possessed…what do I…huh.

She clutches a handful of silver dust, ready to throw.
Move to I-14.
Touch Attack: [roll0]
On a 2, fails (GCA): [roll1]
Cast Protection From Evil, Will save DC 16.
2/3 IP left.

Fishy
2010-09-06, 11:09 AM
"I do not tire," Dreamcatcher replies to the agent's offhanded taunt, and the web pulses again.

Sorry, didn't realize that the map had updated and the Inspired was still in range. [roll0]

appending_doom
2010-09-06, 07:24 PM
Despite the blows, the Inspired tries to keep focus on the quori spirit, holding its manifestation in check.

Concentration: [roll0] DC 34
[roll1] DC 19

The attacks seem to do nothing to the quori, but the Inspired is injured, and looks it. She glowers at those near her. "Kill them!" she howls at her warriors.

appending_doom
2010-09-06, 07:32 PM
The four, struggling against their bounds, make to fire their bolts at Niev and Dreamcatcher as one. The thunder sparking on one's form seems almost completely ineffective -- it's like assaulting a solid object itself, rather than any true creature.

(to Niev) Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

(to Dream) Attack: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]

(to Niev) Attack: [roll4]
Damage: [roll5]

(to Dream) Attack: [roll6]
Damage: [roll7]

Sallera
2010-09-06, 07:49 PM
The bolts seem to curve around Niev's form, scything away layers of psionic energy but failing to reach her body. Ignoring them, she summons another swirl of power, and a few flakes of snow coalesce out of the mist. "Just need a clear shot, Mari, once you're done with what you're doing."

I know I keep switching elements, but I hit the warrior with electricity the second time, if it matters; the ice was at the Inspired.

Regardless, readying another wild-surged energy ray (cold) for as soon as Mari's no longer in the way.
Ranged touch: [roll0]

FirebirdFlying
2010-09-07, 01:02 AM
Oh, wonderful. So successful. Mari scrambles back, out of the way of Niev's rays. Might as well do what I can.

Another flash of hardened air shoots from her palm a split-second after Niev's flies by.

Ranged Touch:[roll0]
Misses on 2 for GCA: [roll2]
13/18 pp
Move to I-16

Fishy
2010-09-10, 10:17 PM
Dreamcatcher takes a bolt to the chest, snapping strings and knocking loose some structurally important beads. "Bloodlust. Interesting. Know that I take know joy in destroying you, monster."

At 3 HP and not looking too hot, but I've got nothing better than what I've been doing- [roll0]

appending_doom
2010-09-10, 11:18 PM
Perhaps it is the freezing attack, or the spiritual assault, but the Inspired stumbles and slumps, limply, to the ground. Something boils around her flesh for an instant, and then one of her guardians lets out a cry.

"I am not worthy!" But he jerks weakly, and then his metal skin falls away to reveal an ordinary human within...

Until his eyes glow a brilliant violet, and the four human warriors, and unmoving Inspired, vanish.

Roll Knowledge (the planes) or (psionic); also, Psicraft.

Without a conscious mind to support it, the Quori spirit vanishes back to Dal Quor.

Sallera
2010-09-10, 11:39 PM
Niev goes still for a moment, letting out a long, slow breath as the mist around her dissipates into the warming air. One only; that was all she could afford. Dreamcatcher, at least, was not at risk of bleeding out, but she wasn't sure what had happened to their unknown ally, and getting up there might be difficult if whoever it was needed help. Her mind isn't quite up to an analysis of their enemies' powers and how likely they were to return soon, so she settles for leaving that to Mari and calling up to the roof.

"Ah... are you alright up there?"

Knowledge: Psionics: [roll0]
Psicraft: [roll1]
I presume the Quori is also gone?

Fishy
2010-09-10, 11:49 PM
Dreamcatcher scans the area, still on guard- just because her host has vanished doesn't mean that the Quori is necessarily gone.

Detect Spirits, just in case. If the coast is clear, he'll dismiss Entangle and wind up all of his stringy bits.
Also, [roll0]
[roll1]

FirebirdFlying
2010-09-12, 09:23 PM
About to doggedly attack again, Mari stops as the Inspired melts away, sagging. Opening her mouth to say something, she finds she has nothing to say, and contents herself with staring at the place where the woman was a bit dazedly.

Psionic: [roll1]
Psicraft: [roll2]

appending_doom
2010-09-13, 05:10 AM
A quiet groan from above is the reply to Niev's question. "I'm alive, if that's what you want to know," a feminine voice replies.

Dream

Other than the faint sign of your own rider, and the kalashtar, you sense no spirits.

Niev

You did not kill the Quori spirit; nothing on the material plane can kill them. It is likely when you downed its host, the Quori went for help.
You're not quite certain what power was used to evacuate the Riedrans.

Mari

Whatever just happened, you suspect it had something to do with the fact that time moves...differently in Dal Quor. If they're planning for a counter-attack, they have a minute for every six seconds that pass to plan it in.

The creature hops to the side of her perch and swings down, favoring the gash in her chest. And then she stops and stares at Niev and Qush.

"I can't believe it," she whispers. "They said we were crazy, but we knew it was our only hope. And you proved it! The last Kalashtar -- you can fight them in a way we can't. You can help us beat them!"

Sallera
2010-09-13, 03:36 PM
The last Kalashtar? Are the few here really... the only ones left? Well, rumours grew in the telling, and any others remaining would have to be at least as well hidden as in Rasht. Still, this just might be the chance they had been hoping for - if they were careful. The Inspired, it seemed, had been speaking the truth, to a degree. And she had been worried about this exact possibility. Trust would come later, but for now, time was more important.

Laying a finger on the creature's forehead, she mentally encourages her body's natural healing processes, a channel of psionic power providing them with the energy they needed to function at a much higher rate. Moving over to Dreamcatcher, she is initially unsure how to proceed, but once she recognizes the patterns in the tangled string, she simply feeds energy into them instead, reinforcing their essential nature and causing them to reassert an undamaged state.

Only then does she speak, the act of channeling clearing her thoughts, as it often did. "It seems we'll need to find some place to talk." She glances up at the hole in the cavern's ceiling, belatedly remembering its presence. "About that, too. But the Quori isn't dead, and it will be letting others know what happened. One way or another, I think we're involved, now; we won't be getting out easily." She turns to Mari. "Do you think they're likely to return soon?"

Healing the creature for 10 and Dreamcatcher for 20.

FirebirdFlying
2010-09-13, 03:42 PM
Mari swallows and shrugs. "Don't know. Not as long as we'd like, I think - they've got ten times the time we do, in their plane. You're alright?"

Sallera
2010-09-13, 04:19 PM
Niev nods, trying not to let the aftereffects of the battle show on her face. "I'm fine. Not ready for another fight, though, if we can help it. They didn't hit you, did they? It was a little hard to see with all the string."

appending_doom
2010-09-13, 05:07 PM
"Involved?" Qush demands. "We aren't involved -- or we're not meant to be."

He storms up to the sniper, who appears to be a wild-eyed female gnome, and picks her up by her shirt, glowering at her. "We didn't get asked to be dragged into your problems. We've got enough just surviving down here!" He tosses her aside, mindless of her recently-healed injuries. "If you're not out of here by sundown, I'll send you up that hole to talk to the Inspired. If anyone talks to her, they can go with her."

His face is ashen, even as it's set into a grim mask, as if he's angry and terrified at the same time. It's not something you're used to seeing on the man's face.

Sallera
2010-09-13, 05:52 PM
Niev turns to regard Qush, her expression serene. "Well then," she says in a quiet voice, each word carefully measured. "Why don't you talk, instead? You knew that Quori, yes? Would you say it is likely that she considered us not involved? That now we have prevented her from murdering however many of us she liked, she will simply give up and go away?"

Fishy
2010-09-13, 11:10 PM
"Fear makes the Darkness stronger," Dreamcatcher remarks in his low monotone, as he finishes winding up his various bits of string. "As does anger. All of us did what we thought needed to be done at the time."

Dreamcatcher is going to go ahead and manifest Empathy, enabling him to detect everyone's surface emotions, because something weird is going on here.

"I am, however, willing to accept the consequences of my actions. Would Rasht'dajath be safer if I left? Would your fear and anger be any less?"

Sallera
2010-09-13, 11:37 PM
Dreamcatcher:A fair bit of anger, although she's trying not to let it show, and a mix of concern and curiosity.

appending_doom
2010-09-14, 05:24 AM
Dream

Qush's mind is, like always, heavily shielded from such inquiries. He was, after all, born in the time when assault from the Inspired was always a constant threat.

The gnome's mind is full of sparks of anxiety, excitement, fear, annoyance...the maelstrom of emotions is hard to decipher.

"They are...understanding," Qush says. "Do you honestly think we could hide from them if they believed we were a real threat? If you listen to this...child, you'll make them want to take an interest. That spirit was the one that first exiled me and my followers here. It will allow me an opportunity to convince them this was all a misunderstanding, but only if we're properly contrite."

It doesn't take telepathy to see he's anxious, angry.

"And fear? If we make real enemies of the Quori, your fear will be an ocean compared to the puddle it is now. She was the one who violated our sanctuary, bringing them after her."

Fishy
2010-09-14, 11:27 AM
"And what is the proper act of contrition for having killed a vessel?"

appending_doom
2010-09-14, 06:46 PM
"Act? They're telepaths; they just need to be certain we're not going to make trouble. And no one who lives in this village is going to be," Qush replies harshly.

FirebirdFlying
2010-09-15, 01:01 PM
Dream:
Mari's confused (unsure what to do) and angry.

"So - we're not safe here, is what you're saying. Sir. This is all a pretty lie."

Sallera
2010-09-15, 01:45 PM
"What, we just let them kill Dreamcatcher and they leave us alone? 'Oh, we're so sorry, we didn't mean to defend our friends. We'll be sure to leave you to your business next time you stop by.'" Niev's tone is dry, but it is only long practice keeping her expression smooth. Her mind is already reaching out to Mari, lost as to a course of action.

Mari:I've long suspected the Quori might know about this place, but I never thought it had been arranged. They must have some purpose for leaving us here, and I doubt it's respect for an old foe. I'm not sure I want to bet our lives on them just leaving us alone after that fight, either.

appending_doom
2010-09-15, 04:55 PM
"Do you think anywhere is safe from the Quori?" Qush demands. "The day Adar fell, the world's hopes died with them. All we can do is hope we can find a way to live in relative peace. Something you don't seem to understand."

This last is directed at the gnome, who bristles at the accusation.

"Peace? You think this is peace? This is death! It's no better than the haze the Inspired stick their sheep into," she snaps. "Your people spent decades telling us that fighting our nightmares was the only way to make the world a better place -- and now that we're ready to believe you, you tell us there's no hope? There's always hope -- that's why we came. That's why my companions died. For a world without nightmares."

She stops speaking, huffing, glaring at Qush. Neither speaks, but the air between them almost sparks with the intensity of their gazes.

appending_doom
2010-09-18, 09:02 AM
Qush sighs, and glances at the three who had decided to fight against the intruder. "Well? Are you planning to act like her, fighting until the Quori kill you, or are you going to survive here?"

Sallera
2010-09-19, 03:44 AM
"So, it comes to that, does it..." Niev's voice is even quieter, now, as if she is making the effort to be audible only as a courtesy. She focuses her level gaze on Qush, giving nothing. "I wonder, how much do you know of my training? Of the mantras Rivan was so fond of? 'To reinforce, for one cannot build without a foundation. To protect, for one cannot grow under constant assault. To endure, for one cannot live when one cannot stand.' I'm certain you, of all people, are well aware that those teachings do not simply apply to the body."

She lets out a small breath, not quite a sigh. "I have endured, for that is the lot of everyone in Rasht. But I have never accepted this existence, any more than I accepted what that Quori just tried to do. I'm sure you don't particularly care, but what you are asking me to do goes against everything I've been taught. Everything that was taught to me so that I could be of the most help to Rasht. Are you saying that that, too, was just another comfortable lie? This is not... the path I want to walk."

Mari:But... I don't want to walk alone, whether the path be to light or darkness. I'm not sure I can. I... suppose you're probably not any more sure about this than I am. Maybe this isn't the right time. Maybe fighting the Quori directly really is just a quick death instead of a slow one. But I can't help thinking that everyone in Rasht right now is creeping into the axe's path, and none of us know why.

However you answer... I'll walk with you. If you think we need to, we can hide our intent, put our dreams off until the next opportunity. Or we can take this one, and maybe we'll be able to ward off the axe and find something worth searching for.

Fishy
2010-09-19, 11:44 AM
"We endure, yes, and Qush has done well to protect us and ensure our survival. But I think that you have forgotten why we endure."

"We do battle against the pawns of the Quori in this physical world. We make war against the Quori in the Quor Tarai: the Dream of the Age, the hearts and minds and hopes and fears of everything that dreams."

"I will not allow my hope to die, for the survival of this body. I live so that I may hope. I hope so that one day we will see the turning of the age and the end of darkness."

"And if that means I am not welcome here, then so be it. I shall gather my things and leave. You may tell the Inspired that the one who killed their envoy has left this place, along with everyone who harbored thoughts of rebellion."

"I have always stood against the darkness. Perhaps it is time that I stood closer."

appending_doom
2010-09-19, 01:39 PM
Qush shakes his head wearily.

"Those who would make war are not welcome here. You will find, perhaps, that there is greater freedom within out halls than among those truly ruled by the Quori. But you have marked yourselves as their enemy, and thus, you cannot return here. The safety of those who remain depends upon it.

FirebirdFlying
2010-09-19, 11:36 PM
Mari's mouth is dry. "Well, I haven't got a speech. But I'm going. Just to make that clear."

Niev:
I think I'd rather a quick death, if that's what it is. But Sarlona isn't the only - there must be other people out there. And I'll go with you. No matter what.

I don't think there will be another opportunity.

Sallera
2010-09-20, 01:11 AM
Niev nods firmly, and the mask finally cracks, a mixture of relief and determination flooding her face. "We will walk our own path. I don't plan on forgetting about this place entirely, but I haven't spent a decade protecting Rasht only to lead angry Inspired back here."

She turns to face the others, wrapping the cloak about herself. "We'll want to be gone as soon as we can, then. I've only a few things I need to get, so I'll meet you back here in a few minutes."

Her possessions are few, and all she retrieves are a nearly empty pack and a bedroll. She checks the pockets in her cloak before she returns, mentally marking each's contents, and very nearly sticks her hand in the last when she feels something unfamiliar. Memory returns at the last moment, though, and she jerks her hand back before she can touch the strange dragonshard, pushed out of her mind by what came after. Another part of this day that raised many questions and answered few - but it might have a use, if the way it had behaved was at all connected to the presence of the Inspired. If you have any books that could tell us about that shard we found, Mari, it might be a good idea to take them with you.

appending_doom
2010-09-20, 04:29 PM
They may have been effectively banished, but the gnome, the sniper, stands apart from them, watching with attentive, almost gleeful eyes. She looks...well, excited. As if she'd been given a chance to do what she'd always been denied.

The rest of the village, though, seem to take Qush's demands as a warning, and keep their distance from the small group.

FirebirdFlying
2010-09-21, 02:28 PM
I'll look.

Ima isn't there when Mari arrives, and she lingers over the scent of books briefly before carefully taking a few. I should… she looks around for paper, and dashes off a letter (shorter than it should be) to her sort-of mother. I'm sorry for taking your books, Ima. But I think - I hope - this is important enough.

She returns to Niev quickly, hunching a little under the stares. Ready as I'll ever be.

Sallera
2010-09-21, 03:48 PM
Unless that pack is holding more than it seems, you could probably be a little more ready with something to sleep on. Niev smiles faintly, looking up at the hole in the rock again. It's been a while since we were away from Rasht for more than a day, hasn't it? And now we're leaving for good... I'm not sure whether I'm going to miss the place or not.

FirebirdFlying
2010-09-21, 04:01 PM
Um. Yes. Except I don't really have anything that…well. I mean. It doesn't really get that cold down here, does it? So I never needed much of a blanket. And I don't think anyone here really wants to lend one to me. And I can't find Ima. I hope she's okay.

Sallera
2010-09-21, 04:54 PM
Still, rock's not a very comfortable bed. I'll lend you mine; at least I have the cloak. She frowns slightly, her expression softening. I hope she's not avoiding you. I'm sure she's alright, but...

appending_doom
2010-09-23, 06:22 PM
At long last, the gnome seems to have actually gained the courage to approach the three.

"You said you would stand against the darkness," she says hesitantly. "Does that mean..." Her gaze flicks between the warforged and kalashtar. "You'll help me?"

Sallera
2010-09-25, 02:47 AM
"That's a good question," replies Niev without turning around. "I don't think this is the best place to discuss it, though. We shouldn't linger. Although I am curious about that hole; I'd thought we were far too deep for light to reach like that."

She turns to Dreamcatcher, hesitating for a moment. "Seer, do you have what you need? Can you provide us with any direction?"

Fishy
2010-09-27, 08:15 AM
Dreamcatcher returns from his home, cloaked in an illusion- the gaps and hollows of his body have all been filled in, and he looks like just another anonymous Warforged, straight out of Cannith mass-production. Still an oddity, but less of a hindrance.

"I am ready, and I will help in whatever way I can. As for guidance, I'm afraid that my visions, when I have them, tend to be indistinct. I am, however, adept at interpreting the dreams of others, where our world touches our enemy's."

appending_doom
2010-09-28, 05:01 PM
"A dream-reading robot?" the gnome asks curiously. "It seems a worthwhile thing to drag along. But I don't suppose...were you planning to go up there?" She jerks her head towards the beam of sunlight. "Or could I convince you to come with me? Only we found a tunnel...a shortcut...out of here."

Sallera
2010-09-28, 05:47 PM
I'm not sure we're ones to talk, but, ah, she's rather odd, isn't she?

Niev sighs, finally looking at the gnome. "Loath as I am to take any path referred to as a 'shortcut' down here, I don't suppose we have much choice. Where does it lead?"

And how far do we trust her?

Fishy
2010-09-29, 08:31 AM
Dreamcatcher eyes the sniper for a moment. "Suspicion," he intones, "Which is, of course, uncalled for," he adds quickly, "But you nevertheless have me at a disadvantage. Who is 'we', and who are you?"

FirebirdFlying
2010-09-29, 01:08 PM
It's weird that she'd show up right now, if she's from outside. And if she's not - we'd have seen her before. Mari waits for the gnome's reply.

appending_doom
2010-09-29, 05:01 PM
"Who?" the gnome asks. "My name is Reason ir'Korran, foundling and journeyman of the House of Korranburg...or what's left of it." She smiles weakly at all three. "We're...me and Doctor Kollos and the rest of the expedition were going to see if there were any kalashtar left. No one else believed there were - they said the fight's hopeless - but we knew there had to be." There is a fierce look in her eyes as she declares this. "That's why we risked the journey through Khyber to get here. I'm the only one who made it, but if that's enough to get some help in the war - that's worth the price."

Sallera
2010-10-02, 01:04 AM
Ah, of course. A 'shortcut'. Through Khyber. And the Inspired still followed her here? Or... perhaps they simply guessed her destination, and took the direct route. Hm... easy to get lost down there. Maybe further down is the direction to go to avoid their notice temporarily.

"Any shortcut through Khyber is unlikely to be particularly short, but we do want to be gone from here before they return. Where does it lead?" There is a hint of impatience in her voice, mostly crafted but perhaps somewhat genuine.

She can't be much of a threat to us on her own. As long as we work out the rest of this before we walk too far...

appending_doom
2010-10-02, 05:40 AM
"Well, the entrance we used was in the Cogs, but...leaving from that exit wouldn't be wise. Luckily, I studied Kollos' map well enough to know how to find the Talenta exit. And once there, we should be able to find a way back to Zilargo." The questions seem to be exciting the gnome, likely because the goal of her quest is within reach. "I promise we'll do our best by you. Your our only hope, and the--" She abruptly breaks off, glancing around her suspiciously. "But this isn't the place to talk about that, sitting between Khyber and Dal Quor."

FirebirdFlying
2010-10-02, 11:36 AM
It's not as if we have much choice, is there? She seems to know at least more than we.

"…What happened at the Cogs?"

…Zilargo.

Knowledge Geography to confirm she knows where Zilargo is: [roll0]

appending_doom
2010-10-02, 12:40 PM
The gnome flushes. "Nothing happened. It's just it took a lot of work to sneak through Quori's Shields patrolling the area, and it'll be a lot harder to get through with psions and a kalashtar, much less the sort of trouble we'd get into if Lord Deneith knew there was a warforged in his city." She shrugs. "All in all, it's easier to make the detour, even if we might have to skirt a little closer to the labyrinth than I'd like. But if we're going, we might as well. Daylight - ah, well, time's passing."

@Mari

It's in Khorvaire, somewhere. You think it might be a country.

Fishy
2010-10-04, 12:15 PM
"Curiosity. Have Warforged become as much of a rarity above as below? I have not exactly been in contact with my... counterparts."

appending_doom
2010-10-04, 04:07 PM
Reason laughs. "Oh, it depends where, of course. Of course Lord Deneith keeps Breland free of warforged, mostly, and Q'Barra's not friendly to anything that doesn't sleep. But Zilargo, such as it is, always welcomes our mechanical brethren. And Censer pretty much proved that warforged could be inspired by the Flame, so you can bet you'll always see a couple with the Torches.

"Plus, you know...the Mournland." She shrugs. "But I've never seen anything like you before. Warforged make better artificers and wizards than much else.."

FirebirdFlying
2010-10-04, 05:10 PM
"Khorvaire. You're from Khorvaire." Mari's mouth opens slightly in awe before she collects herself. "Is it true…oh, nevermind. We should go."

appending_doom
2010-10-04, 05:14 PM
"Well. Time isn't moving any slower, and Khyber's always a bit of an ordeal..."

Reason grins and turns to the path towards the mines.

Sallera
2010-10-04, 08:49 PM
Niev wraps her cloak tightly around herself for a moment, eyes closed, before forcing herself to relax and turning to follow Reason. She draws nearer to Mari almost subconsciously, pulling out the flask of tea and taking a few sips before offering it to Mari with a slight smile. Well, one needed something of normalcy at a time like this. No face-stealing demons on this route, I hope.

FirebirdFlying
2010-10-04, 10:35 PM
Mari accepts the tea gratefully, returning Niev's smile. Yeah. No demons.

appending_doom
2010-10-05, 06:52 PM
The area around the mines feels odd, now. Perhaps the knowledge that nowhere is safe from the Inspired haunts this redoubt. Perhaps the fact that something of incredible oddity was found here makes it not as familiar as it was.

Reason seems unconcerned with the area as she leads you past it and to the metal grille that had, once, been set into the rock to protect the community from the inhabitants of Khyber.

FirebirdFlying
2010-10-07, 09:25 PM
Mari breaks the silence a bit awkwardly; "How long does it take, again?"

appending_doom
2010-10-08, 04:34 PM
"Days, weeks, who knows?" Reason replies with a shrug. "We didn't exactly have any means to tell the time. A while, I'm sure."

Sallera
2010-10-08, 06:33 PM
"Plenty of time to learn, then..." And... Her train of thought breaks off as she realizes the connection had vanished, probably several minutes ago. Perhaps it was merely the physical proximity that had prevented her from noticing, but she hesitates for a minute, mentally berating herself for not paying attention.

"How far have the Inspired spread their influence?" she asks eventually, realizing only belatedly that the question is unlikely to be answered in terms she'll understand.

appending_doom
2010-10-08, 06:47 PM
The gnome presses a latch on the gate, opening it and stepping through into the tunnel beyond, silent for a few moments. "Well...there's Sarlona, of course, and most of Breland. And Thrane and Karrnath. And with the Twelve in disarray, no one's bothering to care much about Xen'drik, but no one knows whether the giants or shadow elves have been doing anything. They're rumored to have some sort of non-aggression pact with Aerenal, but who knows if they're actually keeping their word. They did something to the Hags, so Droaam's pretty much full of chaos. And Q'barra, of course, and there're rumors they've got some sort of foothold in Mror.

"But not Zilargo. Never Zilargo. We started the Next War, you know," she says proudly. "Every time one of their people wormed their way into one of our leader's dreams, some brave soul did his duty and saved the Zils. And then Merrix made the first Ring of Insomnia..." She sighs happily. "As long as there is breath in a single gnome, there will be a Zilargo to fight them."

appending_doom
2010-10-09, 06:48 PM
The path from the gate is winding, branching, and tinged with the lingering scent of sulfur.

When conversation finally dies down, it becomes apparent that the mental song has returned, filling the travelers' minds with the humming tune that recalls a world of light and beauty far from the dark worlds below.

Fishy
2010-10-09, 11:10 PM
Dreamcatcher continues in stoic silence, marching through the tunnels with a robotic gait that could continue for weeks on end.

"These Rings of Insomnia- Do they do what I imagine they do? How many of them are there?"

appending_doom
2010-10-10, 05:51 AM
"Why do you ask? You don't need one. I suppose the human's the only one who would benefit, and you lot have always been pretty skittish about the side-effects." She waves her hands dismissively. "And in any case, we've got a terrible time making them; after the Inspired figured out about them, they cut off supplies of several of the more vital ingredients." She stops moving for a moment, glancing at her three companions. "On that note, you're going to have to tell me when you're tired. I sort of forget that some people still need rest, sometimes." She chuckles nervously. "Of course, the upside of it is that I can keep watch all night. Although I guess you can do that too." This last is aimed at Dreamcatcher.

Fishy
2010-10-10, 10:56 AM
"Skittish," Dreamcatcher says, trying out the word and filing it away for later. "You could say that I am 'skittish' about the side effects as well. Dreaming exposes you to danger, yes, but leaving the dreamworld to them, uncontested?"

Sallera
2010-10-10, 01:04 PM
"Good for a while yet," murmurs Niev absently. She walks in a distracted, half-content silence, trying to piece together the shard's song. It seemed so simple on the surface, just a melody of reassurance and remembrance, albeit of things she had never seen, but it had shown too much power to be a traveler's memento - and it had spoken. No, she reminds herself, something had spoken, while they were with the shard. Come to think of it, the gnome hadn't mentioned anything about the song. Either she couldn't hear it, or she had heard it before, and wasn't surprised...

For that matter, was Niev the only one that could hear it? Catching Mari's eye, she taps a hand against the pocket containing the shard and raises an eyebrow questioningly.

FirebirdFlying
2010-10-10, 01:12 PM
"…What side effects?"

Mari glances at Niev, and nods.

appending_doom
2010-10-10, 01:24 PM
"Well, Merrix theorized the Ring of Sustenance works in the manner it does because sleep is necessary for some...well, things. I'm not an expert. They're minor, anyway. I'm not planning to take it off. Plus, some of the other effects are more or less helpful for an enemy of the Inspired."

She seems unable to hear the singing as she leads the group in a direction that is more-or-less downward.

Despite the malevolence of their surroundings, the small party isn't feeling any particular foreboding, other than those born of natural suspicions.

Knowledge (planes) or (religion) if you've got them.

FirebirdFlying
2010-10-10, 01:27 PM
Religion:[roll1]

appending_doom
2010-10-10, 06:49 PM
@Mari

Khyber is evil; it contains within it the seed of most of the darkness native to the plane of Eberron. That there should be no sense of that darkness here, even a hint of it, is strange. Either the plane is lurking, waiting to spring something on you, or something is keeping the darkness at bay.

Fishy
2010-10-10, 08:30 PM
I haven't been peeking in spoilers earlier in the thread- is this something Dreamcatcher can hear/should know about?

[roll0]

FirebirdFlying
2010-10-11, 10:15 PM
"…Um. Was it quite this serene last time you came through?"

appending_doom
2010-10-12, 05:04 AM
"Now that you mention it, no," Reason replies worriedly. "It was a nightmarish wasteland that filled the very air with the putrid scents of the damned. The canaries went insane after three hours.

She starts glancing anxiously towards the dark corners of the caverns. "You don't think we're being stalked by something, do you? Only we had a lot of trouble with those stupid slime zombies last time and I can't remember what they were weak to."

Sallera
2010-10-12, 12:21 PM
So, do you sing to save us, little shard, or to keep our guard down? Well, if ever there were an effective counter to a place filled with such pervasive malevolence as Reason described, the song yet running through her head would be it. It almost felt as though she could keep on walking without pause, as though this were nothing more than a long circle around the city to clear her thoughts... see, there was the downside.

"Well, I don't want to get too complacent, but perhaps we should just keep our eyes open and enjoy it while it lasts."

appending_doom
2010-10-13, 05:39 PM
Reason spends the next few hours anxious and visibly on edge. At last, when she notices her companions (the humanoid ones) beginning to slow, she calls a halt to their travel.

"The warforged and I can keep watch," she says. "That is, I can keep watch and your friend can keep an eye on me. I suppose I'm keeping an eye on him."

And just before the humans drift off to sleep, the gnome offers this cheerful advice:

"Remember, don't believe anything you dream!"

appending_doom
2010-10-15, 07:33 PM
The ambient light doesn't shift as the sleepers dream, or rest, but a melancholy air overtakes the small cave Reason had seen shortly before calling for a rest. Unlike other spellcasters (for what power had she drawn on than magic?), she does not seem content to rest, but gets up and paces at irregular intervals, watching the dark corners endlessly.

It would be enough to drive someone to distraction.

Hours pass in this way.

@everyone (especially dreamcatcher)

Listen checks (remember unconsciousness penalties) and Spot checks for those with their eyes open)

Sallera
2010-10-15, 08:09 PM
Having given her bedroll to Mari, Niev curls up against the wall, the enchanted cloak keeping her warm and dry, at least, if not necessarily entirely comfortable. This didn't really seem the place to investigate the shard further, and for now, it was rather pleasant to have the song warding off Khyber's ambient malevolence. Whether to trust the shard, whether to trust Reason... it didn't seem all that important just now. Sleep, and then in the morning, walking further. No sense in worrying until something happened, after all. Was that quite right? A strange thought... on the edge of sleep, and quickly forgotten as she falls over that edge.

I can't just make a check without at least rambling for a little while. <<;;
Listen: [roll0]

Fishy
2010-10-16, 12:01 AM
Dreamcatcher keeps silent watch while Niev and Mari sleep. It's what he does.

[roll0]
[roll1]

No special ability to see in the darkness, but he'll keep Detect Spirits up, just because he can.

FirebirdFlying
2010-10-16, 10:42 AM
Curled up in Niev's bedroll, Mari lies awake for nearly an hour, silently puzzling over various things. By the time she'd gotten to imagining the shard as a Siberys that fell too far and was swallowed by a demon before it was killed by a half-dragon canary which snatched it up but was attacked by a large cat - she wasn't quite sure whether she was awake or not, although anyone else could have told her that she was definitely asleep.

Listen:[roll0]

appending_doom
2010-10-16, 10:46 AM
@dreamcatcher

You see something lurking out at the very boundaries of your sight, and can hear the same creature, half your size, moving nearly-silently along the gravel.

Fishy
2010-10-16, 10:51 AM
Dreamcatcher raises a heavy metal finger, and beckons to Reason, trying to draw her attention and get her to pace closer to him.

Also, manifests Empathy, detecting emotions in a 30' radius, no save.

appending_doom
2010-10-16, 11:16 AM
Reason peers into the edge of the darkness, and her wariness suddenly gives way to delight. "Professor! You're alive!"

The figure that steps into the ring of light is indeed a gnome, albeit one whose skin seems permanently cast into shadow. He moves with almost preternatural silence, but he does smile widely when he sees Reason.

"Reason? How delightful to see you!"

@dreamcatcher

You can sense the sharp edge of Reason's nervousness, which gives way to delight. You can sense the calm dreaming minds of your companions. You cannot sense anything from the new arrival.

Roll Knowledge (psionics)

Fishy
2010-10-18, 09:31 PM
"Doctor Kollos, I presume," Dreamcatcher intones, "Your companion speaks highly of you. Has the damnation-scented nightmarish wasteland been treating you well?"

[roll0]

appending_doom
2010-10-19, 04:59 AM
@Fishy

Anything that renders a creature immune to mind-affecting effects would keep you from learning their emotions with empathy.

There are creature types, powers (mind blank, most notably), and items that can confer this benefit.

appending_doom
2010-10-19, 05:28 AM
The gnome laughs brightly. "Oh, well enough. It's easy to keep out of sight, and staying out of the way is half of what you need to do to stay safe down here. And Reason, what did you find? I thought we agreed not to pick up hitchhikers down here."

Fishy
2010-10-23, 12:28 PM
"Forgive our intrusion, Traveler, but we are exiles from our homes and have nowhere to go. Resentment. Reason was attacked by agents of the Insipred, and we came to her defense- it is my hope that I shall be able to do more to assist you than burden you. Vanity."

appending_doom
2010-10-23, 01:56 PM
Dr. Kollos grins at the warforged. "Well, that's a different kind of dragonmark entirely! We've got to stick together down here; there are some very nasty creatures lurking between here and...we are still pressing forward, aren't we, Reason?"

She shakes her head. "No sir. I...they're...well, you see, this woman's a kalashtar."

Dr. Kollos' eyes gleam with triumph. "Ah! I knew we'd do it! So back the way we came, eh? Good job!"

Fishy
2010-10-26, 04:45 AM
"While I'm sure we're all eager to be going, our companions still have a need for sleep."

appending_doom
2010-10-27, 06:38 AM
The Professor nods and sits, and Reason, after a moment joins him. The man produces a map which looks more like a random array of scribbles, but he and Reason spend several hours discussing it.

In the morning (or at least eight or so hours after the people who need to sleep went to sleep), they are both a little energetic, looking as if they are ready to go.

Sallera
2010-10-27, 11:09 AM
Niev awakens slowly, sitting up against the wall, and looks over at Dreamcatcher and Reason. She closes her eyes again, reaching for the flask and taking a long sip of tea, then takes a second look. Oh, I am awake.

She briefly considers saying something, then thinks better of it, pulling a bit of food from another pocket and watching the shadowy gnome as she waits for Mari to wake. May as well get the explanation once.

FirebirdFlying
2010-11-06, 11:07 AM
Mari jerks awake, and sits up, attention immediately settling on the professor. …Um…

She turns to see Niev, and tilts her head in question.

Sallera
2010-11-06, 01:18 PM
Niev simply shrugs and tosses Mari the stoppered flask in response. Whatever was going on, better for both of them to be properly awake for it.

After a minute, she calls to the others. "Dreamcatcher, Reason, who's the new arrival?"

appending_doom
2010-11-07, 09:47 AM
"This is Doctor Kollos!" Reason exclaims. "The whole band got split up along the way, but Doctor Kollos made it through safely. He actually knows more about these caverns than any of us; with him along, we should be able to get back safely."

She glances at Niev and gives Doctor Kollos a sly look. "He's the one who found the-"

"The prophecy, yes," Doctor Kollos agrees. "The turning slows by weight of nightmares, until all spirits are bound in webs of dream, 'les the shape of our dreams are forged into a new weapon." He grins at all of them. "I translated it myself."

Fishy
2010-11-07, 11:51 AM
"Anxiety," Dreamcatcher intones. "A dire prophesy indeed, but a hopeful one as well- I would be eager to hear anything you've surmised about this 'weapon'."

When Niev wakes up, the warforged turns to give her a short, respectful bow. "Welcome back, Dreamer. Can you spare a while to tell me what you have seen?"

In the event that Niev has dreamed anything significant, Dreamcatcher can use his Dreamtelling feat to get information vaguely equivalent to an Augury or Divination spell from it:

[roll0]

Edit: According to the handy chart, that's enough to get an Augury out of an obvious dream, ad peer a fairly useless 30 minutes into the future. Better than nothing. So: following our brand new Gnome friends, Weal or Woe?

appending_doom
2010-11-07, 12:37 PM
@dream

You see neon green tendrils tied about Doctor Kellos' fingers, and silver ties between him and Reason. Golden threads entwine the three of you and Reason.

Weal and woe.

Sallera
2010-11-07, 02:32 PM
Niev frowns, turning over the words of the prophecy in her mind. A familiar cadence...

"That sounds very similar to the core of the Path of Light. Not exactly the same, of course, but... where did you come across it? And... translated from which language?"

appending_doom
2010-11-10, 08:58 PM
Dr. Kellos sniffs. "I don't think deep in the heart of Khyber is the place to talk about the details. You said you wanted to head for the Talenta exits we found?"

Sallera
2010-11-11, 12:33 AM
Niev raises an eyebrow. "Oh, right, I'd... forgotten." She had almost forgotten where they were, with the stone's song ensuring that the surroundings felt no different than any path around the city. It seemed that the Doctor was another who couldn't hear the song.

"That is where Reason said she was taking us. I don't really know enough geography to have an opinion on the matter, myself."

appending_doom
2010-11-11, 12:32 PM
"Oh, believe me, we don't want to show up in the middle of Sharn with a warforged in tow," Dr. Kellos says.

Assuming no other conversation is immediately necessary, Kellos takes the lead, following a path only he seems to understand. The path is circuitous, and possibly truly so, but you never quite recognize the same place twice. At times, the caves are barely narrow enough to admit a single Medium creature, and at others, you walk through caverns so high and wide, you imagine you must be outside. Sometimes, lights glitter in the distance in what you imagine stars must look like.

As the living creatures begin to tire, and the sleeping ones begin to droop, Dr. Kellos calls for a rest. "I think that's far enough for today," he says cheerfully. "Shall we set up a watch?"

You all may, if you choose, make a Sense Motive check to indicate your general hunch about Dr. Kellos over the course of a day.

@Fishy, if you like and Firebird agrees, you can again try to read her dreams after the night cycle.

FirebirdFlying
2010-11-12, 12:33 PM
Sense Motive:[roll0]

And Dreamcatcher can go ahead and read Mari's dreams.

appending_doom
2010-11-13, 08:34 AM
@firebird

Nothing seems out of place. The guy's weird, but so is Reason, and you've heard gnomes are just weird.

Fishy
2010-11-13, 10:17 AM
"I don't believe that will be necessary, Doctor, I am happy to keep watch for the length of the night."

[roll0]
[roll1]

Sallera
2010-11-13, 06:31 PM
Niev nods her thanks to Dreamcatcher, sitting back against the wall of the cave. This journey seemed to be imposing an odd sort of lethargy on her; perhaps it was the way that even walking miles through Khyber had thus far been no different from exploring the caverns near Rasht. At least, aside from the scale of things. Or perhaps it was the shard, its seemingly benign and minor mystery nonetheless sitting unexplored at the back of her mind, unforgettable and seemingly growing stranger as time passed. She doesn't feel quite up to an open conversation, but she mentally reaches out to Mari again, seeking... something; she's not quite sure what.

Not quite what I expected our trip through Khyber to be like. From what Reason said, what we thought we knew of it wasn't exactly exaggerated, but we've seen nothing, felt nothing... I know the shard appears to be responsible for the last, but I don't see how it could be keeping things this quiet. And I don't feel like I should tell the gnomes about it yet... there has to be some reason they can't hear it. I... I don't know, really. This just doesn't feel right, somehow.

appending_doom
2010-11-21, 09:51 AM
@Dream

Something about the professor seems odd. He obviously is leading your somewhere, but you're no longer certain his goal is the same as Reason's.

You know nothing about him, but he seems untowardly fascinated with Niev. You remember odd discussions about face-eating horrors.

Mari's dreams haunt you as she describes them, as the imagery of strings of fate seems to have grown stronger, tying you, Mari and Niev to Reason, who is herself tied to the professor.

You are bound to follow them, you think, even though the source of the lime-green strings of fate tied about his forehead worries you.

The journey begins slowly, and again, you walk for some time. Something is beginning to fray at the edges of your minds, and you realize that the calm projected by the little stone seems to be fading.

And then, after a short break, Mari turns up missing.

@all

Roll Spot and Listen

Sallera
2010-11-21, 03:50 PM
The sudden absence hits Niev as she pushes away from the wall, spinning her around as she searches for something to disprove it. "Mari?" She tries to focus, but the increasing pressure from the surroundings disrupts her concentration, hampering her attempts to keep her emotions under control. There's something here... pushing through. Remembered stories, most of them Mari's own, flicker through her mind at the reminder of where they stand, and she grits her teeth against the urge to panic as she forces herself to study the surroundings carefully.

Listen: [roll1]

appending_doom
2010-11-21, 04:03 PM
Only the flickering light of the torches they bear, and the dim silence of the caverns beyond their path, reach Niev's senses.

Fishy
2010-11-28, 11:05 AM
[roll0]
[roll1]

"... Mari?" Dreamcatcher turns around- and on finding her gone, flies into something resembling panic, searching the darkness in all direction. "Mari?!"

Sallera
2010-11-30, 03:30 AM
"She was right beside me! Even if it's hard to see down here, we should have felt the presence of something! Even if..." Niev trails off as her thoughts flick once again to the shard. Even if the shard's been damping our presences and filtering out the feelings of this place?

"Agh!" She slams a palm into the wall in frustration, only barely keeping her roiling emotions from turning the gesture into a mental assault on the unyielding stone. A few moments pass before she stands straighter with a visible effort to keep herself in check. "Alright. Where do we start looking?" she asks, her voice softer but still determined.

Fishy
2010-11-30, 04:32 AM
"Here," Dreamcatcher says darkly, turning to face the good doctor. Sister, please back away. Doctor Kellos, I apologize if this is disrespectful, but given the nature of our common enemy, I must check that you are who you say you are."

Dreamcatcher moves in close to the gnome, waits for Niev to get out of the blast radius, and then fires off a Chastise Spirits. IIRC, Mind Blank and the like will foil Detect spells, but not getting blasted in the face.

appending_doom
2010-11-30, 06:00 AM
@Dream

Nothing happens to the doctor, but your attempts to remember what might have happened to Mari awakens a brief memory, something you had written off as your imagination:

A figure skulking in the shadows beyond your sight. You couldn't make out many details, only a trio of...tentacles?

appending_doom
2010-11-30, 06:03 PM
"There are plenty of places to look," Dr Kellos says, apparently ignoring the attempt to reveal something untoward about his...internal monologue. "But we suffered the same sort of disappearances on our way down here. I assure you, looking for your friend is pointless."

Sallera
2010-12-02, 02:20 AM
"Pointless? We're supposed to just give up on her?" Niev glares at the Doctor, the air around her threatening to turn the ice in her eyes into a reality. "From what Reason said, weren't you one of the ones that disappeared? You seem to still be alive. More or less."

appending_doom
2010-12-02, 05:25 PM
"I, young lady, am the exception that, ah, proves the rule," the doctor insists hotly. "Every threat down here is inescapable, and I assure you, if you're lucky, they'll only want to kill your friend."

Sallera
2010-12-02, 05:44 PM
"'Every threat down here is inescapable?' That can't be true if you escaped. And if it is true, and you didn't escape, then you're a thrall to someone or a face-eating demon or something and not to be trusted anyway! Either start making sense, or tell us how to find Mari."

appending_doom
2010-12-03, 06:28 AM
"Face-eating demon?" the doctor asks with a laugh. "I can assure you, if there were any face-eating demons around, G'nfr-" He stops mid-word. "Anyway, I'm hardly the thrall of a face-eating demon. And I don't understand why you think I'd know where to find your friend. There are hundreds of threats down here, and any one of them could be responsible for her disappearance."

appending_doom
2010-12-05, 12:34 PM
"That may be true," Reason says doubtfully. "But we only had trouble with those undead giants near the Labyrinth and those nasty things that cracked open Regis' skull."

Sallera
2010-12-06, 01:20 PM
"G'nfrwhat?" Niev shakes her head, trying to make sense of the gnome's obfuscations. "If there are hundreds of different threats down here - and that much, I don't doubt, given where we are - then how could you possibly know about every one of them? Why are you so adamantly set against trying to help Mari if you don't know what happened to her?"

Sense Motive, because it seems appropriate: [roll0] ...and also apparently quite useless.

appending_doom
2010-12-10, 09:40 PM
A flicker of something crosses the Professor's face. "Why can't you just take good advice?" he rages.

Without warning, an impossibly long, lime-green tentacle erupts out of the top of his skull.

OOC - Initiative.

Sallera
2010-12-10, 11:47 PM
Niev's expression hardens as the air around her begins showing wisps of freezing fog. The absurdity of the situation would have caught her well off-guard yesterday, but between the shock of Mari's disappearance, the increasing pressure from the surroundings, and the doctor's seeming apathy, she had been barely restraining herself from attacking him anyway. Finding out that he apparently is some sort of face-eating demon is almost a relief.

"Reason! Get away from him!"

Init: [roll0]

Fishy
2010-12-11, 12:05 AM
Dreamcatcher considers this development for a moment. "Smug satisfaction and visceral disgust," he decides.

[roll0]

appending_doom
2010-12-11, 06:17 AM
Evil Demon Professor [roll0]
Reason [roll1]

appending_doom
2010-12-11, 06:20 AM
The tentacle snakes around Reason, trying to entangle her.

[roll0]
Grapple [roll1] vs [roll2]

appending_doom
2010-12-11, 06:29 AM
Reason struggles futilely against the pressure.

[roll0] vs [roll1]

Note: Attacking grappling foes institutes a 50% chance of hitting either grappling creature.

Sallera
2010-12-11, 04:19 PM
A loud snap echoes through the cavern as Niev rushes forward, grey phantasmal streamers of energy trailing from her limbs. To reinforce, for one cannot build without a foundation. The familiar mantra begins echoing through her mind, a counterpoint to her wild emotions, as she approaches the doctor with her hands spread to front and back in an unusual stance.

That only applies to ranged attacks, though, aye?

At any rate, manifesting Animal Affinity (Strength) and moving into range.

appending_doom
2010-12-11, 05:08 PM
ranged attack rolls hit one random target, yes.

Fishy
2010-12-15, 10:33 PM
Moving with mechanical precision and the grace of the Path of Shadows, Dreamcatcher moves in to bludgeon the 'Professor' into submission as efficiently as possible.
[roll0] [roll1] [roll2]

appending_doom
2010-12-16, 06:22 AM
The Professor's eyes glow a terribly disconcerting shade of lime, and he unceremoniously throws Reason at Dreamcatcher before turning around and running down a tunnel.

@Niev

Make a will save

@Dream

Make a Dex check

Sallera
2010-12-16, 11:42 AM

Sallera
2010-12-16, 12:04 PM
Niev glares at the Doctor as Reason flies past. To protect, for one cannot grow under constant assault. The mist trailing from her arms and legs briefly coalesces into a thin sheath of pale grey as she rushes forward, and tendrils of frost creep outward from her hands as she snatches at the fleeing 'gnome', grabbing his far arm and spinning both of them around as she attempts to pin him to a wall.

Manifesting Adrenaline Rush for +2 insight to Str and Dex, and expending psionic focus for another untyped +2 to Str.
Touch attack: [roll0]
Grapple: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2] nonlethal

appending_doom
2010-12-17, 05:50 AM
Niev just barely gets a hand on the Professor's tentacle, which slides through her hand, leaving a viscous, disgusting slime behind.