PDA

View Full Version : Map Making Assistance?

imp_fireball
2010-07-16, 10:21 PM
I need tips on how to indicate elevation levels for my maps - ie. slopes, risings, etc.

I've already established grids, and used pictures with the grid overlayed as my basis for the map (and a legend for terrain type with copy/paste snippets of parts of the greater image, not including detail about objects/obstacles/barriers, which are provided by the map pictures; as GM, I'd just point this out to players later on).

So, any advice? Sample maps with details of what you did?

Using D&D 3.5 rules btw.

Kuma Kode
2010-07-16, 10:45 PM
Well, you can do topographic stuff with contour lines, possibly with different fill colors for different altitudes, kinda like this (http://www.geog.nau.edu/courses/alew/ggr346/text/maps/usa-elevation.gif). If you're working digitally, you can have the elevation map be a separate layer that can be overlayed or even set to be mildly transparent. What programs are you working with, if any?

BLiZme.2
2010-07-17, 12:34 AM
About large scale as in whole worlds tectonic plates are everything. There movement and relation dictates mountains valleys trenches EVERY THING comes back to them look it up. But basically they can meat three ways coming together both folding up and making mountains like the Himalayas, coming together and one going down the other up like the san Andreas fault causing the Rockies and continental shelf and finally puling apart like the Marianas Trench. After figuring out the plait layout and motion use that to guess elevations and from there imagine water filling the world for oceans and rivers. Also not volcanoes can happen anywhere and make Rouge Mountains usually in chains along the motion of the plait. Finally weather tends to move with the direction of planetary rotation (west to east on earth) with warm weather going north and cold going south this helps you infer climates. On the small scale I am no help.

Zeta Kai
2010-07-17, 12:59 AM
The Cartographers' Guild (http://www.cartographersguild.com/) calls to you, my friend. Answer its sweet siren song. They are waiting to answer your questions, & to question your answers.