PDA

View Full Version : AvB T'ode

Shadowleaf
2010-07-17, 07:23 PM
ONLY RENTOK AND HIS DM ALLOWED IN THIS THREAD BY LAW AND ENFORCED BY THE GREAT TENTACLEMONSTER.

The Church of Pelor is actually situated very close to the Maid and the Mermaid, and you have absolutely no trouble finding it. Going north for a few hundred feet, then turning westwards at Ezekiel's Supplies and going west for another few hundred feet, take the first left, and you are there.
You pass a large beautiful lake and lots of impressive trees and grass areas on the way to the temple. The temple is the biggest temple in Sesbury, and is well crafted and impressivly big.
The outside of the temple is adorned with Pelor's symbol, gothic style gates and large oval windows. Two large pillars flank the great door on the front side of the church.

Rentok
2010-07-17, 07:26 PM
No problem. Oh, and I'll be using spoilertags for rolls and OOC stuff. To make it easier on you.

Shadowleaf
2010-07-17, 07:30 PM
Yep, so will I. Everything spoilered is OOC. I edited the OP.

Rentok
2010-07-17, 07:34 PM
T'ode walks straight in, purposefully, looking around for someone to ask about anyone in need of a protector or bodyguard. Or even just a security guard, T'ode wasn't picky. As long as he could use his knightly strengths to help those who were not capable of helping themselves.

Shadowleaf
2010-07-17, 07:44 PM
There are plenty of folk around the temple.
Outside, you can see robed men, boys and nuns hurrying between houses south and the temple. A few armored men patrol the perimeter, and two men in beautifully crafted fullplates stand guard by the front door, large swords unsheated and in hand, the tip of the sword on the ground.

The inside of the temple is even more beautiful than the outside. It is simple compared to the massive amounts of money used on the temple's size. You would have expected more.. Things to hang from the walls, more prestigous gold and so forth, but the simple design makes it perhaps even more impressive.
The inside is what you would expect from a temple to Pelor - a large symbol of Pelor hangs opposite of the door, rows of seats adorn the middle hall. There are small rooms on both sides of the middle hall, there is a room before the middle hall to place your weapons, there is an altar, priests, clerics and alterboys. There are many lit candles, and large illuminating windows above.

Rentok
2010-07-17, 07:51 PM
T'ode approaches one of the priests and makes a quick bow in greeting. Once standing again, he asks the priest, "I am looking to help protect those who cannot protect themselves. I was told to come here, that perhaps if there are people who need protection, but cannot afford it, I would find them here."

Shadowleaf
2010-07-17, 07:56 PM
The priest is a short bald man of roughly 45 years of age. He is thin to the point of it being unhealthy. He has strikingly blue eyes which breem with wisdom. "Well, my child, you have indeed come to the right place. We of Pelor get many requests for help, being ask to help where the City Guard fails or forgets to look. We do what we can, but-" the man gestures around "- we are a peaceful church of light and healing, not mercenaries. Our paladins do what they can, but there are not an infinite number of them. Tell me my child, what are your strong sides?"

Rentok
2010-07-17, 08:00 PM
T'ode lifts the visor of his helm.

"I am strong and sturdy. My honor is my life. I can stand my ground in battle, and help others to survive as well. Though... I am slow. I cannot run very fast."

Shadowleaf
2010-07-17, 08:08 PM
"Have you considered working with the City Guard? They are very short on men, and are surely looking to recruit."

Rentok
2010-07-17, 08:12 PM
"I considered it, but I was hoping to help more directly. By giving my services as a bodyguard of sorts to those who need it, but cannot afford to hire mercenaries."

Shadowleaf
2010-07-17, 08:16 PM
"That is very kind of you. I am sure some of our clerics would be delighted to have a strong soul watch over them - violence towards our temple and its members has increased as of late, what with the political situation and all. Opposition to the Frey family has been after our necks for some time now."

Rentok
2010-07-17, 08:21 PM
"Then I shall do my very best to protect whoever I can. Is there anyone in particular that has been targeted more, or that needs more protection? As well, if anyone comes seeking the protection of the church, I would be glad to help them as well."

Shadowleaf
2010-07-17, 08:33 PM
"Do you wish to enlist to the ranks of the temple's paladins?"

Paladin, Crusader, etc are all just titles, not classes.

Rentok
2010-07-17, 08:50 PM
Umm... T'ode hesitated, thinking hard on it, but then he shook his head. "No, I don't think so. While the paladins surely help people, and they are definitely good people, I could never forgive myself if I joined. I wish to protect those who cannot protect themselves, but the ranks of the Paladins are not for me. I am bound by honor, not by Pelor's will."

Plus, T'ode serves St. Cuthbert.

Shadowleaf
2010-07-17, 09:08 PM
"That is, of course, your choice. Do know that no one is bound, here - everyone is free to do what they want. We have simply bonded together, for everyone's sake. Anyway, I am unsure as to who I should direct you to. The leader of the Paladins - Sir Ulrik - or perhaps Mikael Frey."

Rentok
2010-07-17, 09:16 PM
T'ode's brow knits in his curiosity, and he lets his visor fall over his face once more.

"Who is this Mikael Frey?"

Shadowleaf
2010-07-17, 09:20 PM
"This temple is built on the Frey's lands. Their estate is almost just outside the gates."
Now that you think about it, the houses south of the temple did seem overly large. They could easily be part of an estate.
"The Frey is a noble family, which had this temple built on their estate ground. Mikael Frey is the oldest living Frey family member, and usually helps us watch over business concerning the temple."

Rentok
2010-07-17, 09:25 PM
"If this Mikael Frey is a noble, and the eldest of his family, I'm sure he can afford to hire people to protect himself. I was hoping to protect those who need my help, not those who have plenty of other options. Surely in a city such as this there are others aside from the members of the church, the nobles, the merchants, and the city guard. I cannot bring myself to believe that no one is in need of aid except for the people that have all the aid they need at their fingertips."

Shadowleaf
2010-07-17, 09:27 PM
"Nono, I meant, I can not decide whether to direct you to him or our Sir Ulrik. You won't be working for them, they will help you find something worthy of your services.
It is fishy, though. If someone needs protection, it is usually because they are afraid of someone, or afraid because of something they have done. Somehow, I cannot imagine a simple farmer having the need for this sort of protection - it usually only falls to nobles, mages, merchants and the likes. All of whom have plenty of gold."

Rentok
2010-07-17, 09:39 PM
"In a city this size, there is no crime that affects the less fortunate? I must say I am impressed. I did not think that possible. Surely if the only crime affects those with money, then if all money was disposed of, there would be no crime. It seems more likely that, simply, the stories of crime do not reach the church. I had thought for sure those who need help would come to a church for help."

Shadowleaf
2010-07-17, 09:47 PM
"Of course crime hits the less fortunate, but.. Lightning doesn't strike the same place twice. It's not like a family that's been robbed needs a bodyguard - it's too late for that. And people don't get robbed on a daily basis."

Rentok
2010-07-17, 09:54 PM
"But robbery isn't the only type of crime. Harassment, stalking, abuse. There are plenty of crimes that recur. And I can hardly believe that in a city this size, nobody but the nobles and merchants feel threatened at all by anyone. It is... It is impossible. Yet, it appears to be so... I cannot believe it, but I do not have much choice. I shall simply help out where ever I am needed, and I will ignore the impossibility that is this city. For the sake of my own sanity."

He sighs and shakes his head.

"So, should I go to see the paladin, or the nobleman to find where I might be needed?"

Shadowleaf
2010-07-17, 09:57 PM
"I doubt you will find any families constantly targeted by harassment, stalking, blackmailing and so forth - and much less find them. People don't usually speak up about such problems, you know. I understand you want to do good, but sometimes all you can do is be good in the moment, and tread the path before you with a smile and a light heart. I think Sir Ulrik would be best for one of your caliber."

Rentok
2010-07-17, 10:03 PM
T'ode shakes his head wearily. "I don't even want to think about it. It is impossible. It is true. That cannot be, so it must not be, yet it is. I will go insane from thinking about this too much. Please, just direct me to Sir Ulrik so I may stand around somewhere and look pretty, like all hired swords who have no real reason to do anything unless a fight breaks out in front of them."

Shadowleaf
2010-07-17, 10:11 PM
The man's smile faints. "Are you implying our paladins have no reason to exist? They serve our Lord and the people in more ways than you can possibly understand. Pride and predjudice are great sins."

Rentok
2010-07-17, 10:21 PM
T'ode shakes his head.

"Your Paladins surely do their duties and are a great boon to the people. Protecting the innocent and upholding the law. Except that there is almost no crime. Between the guards and the paladins, it seems I shall be completely and utterly useless in this city. Once more I fail to bring glory to my knighthood. My honor, while still intact, cannot find use here. There are no wrongs for me to right, no weak for me to protect, no great beasts for me to vanquish. Not even a glorious death while protecting a single soul. Only an empty city with no use for a nameless knight..." Sighing he shakes his head, "It is my shame, I cannot abandon the city with my honor intact, yet the city has no use for me. Once more I disappoint my knighthood. The best I can hope for now is to maybe do some small service. I will hope Sir Ulrik has a task that I can accomplish. Maybe I can still achieve some small gratitude for running errands."

Shadowleaf
2010-07-17, 10:26 PM
The man raises his eyebrow. "As I said, the City Guard is spread thin - crime is running rampant, murders everywhere, thieving and robberies in the Docks.. It's worse than ever. But if you are only looking for work to fuel your hero complex, perhaps you should get some help for that, instead of dressing up as a swordsman and trying to combat evil."

Rentok
2010-07-17, 10:36 PM
T'ode shakes his head.

"I want to help people. I have been trying to help people ever since I was knighted. I follow the code to the letter, I do my best to help those in need. Yet, up until now I have been completely unable to do anything of worth. I have brought no glory to the order I serve. I want to help people, and I want to be worthy of the order. I have staked my honor that I will help the people of this city who need my help, or die trying. Yet... now I find that nobody needs my help. So what can I do? I cannot leave and seek out those that need help, but I cannot help anyone here. I cannot help those who need no help. I cannot protect those that do not need to be protected. Above all, I cannot bring glory to the order where there is no glory to be had. My life is meaningless, but that is not why I would weep. I would rather weep because the I have let down my order, and I have let down this city."

Shadowleaf
2010-07-18, 10:53 AM
"Can't you simply pursue those who seek to do harm?"

Rentok
2010-07-18, 11:38 AM
"I would do exactly that, if I weren't so slow. In pursuing them, there is no hope that I could actually catch them."

Shadowleaf
2010-07-18, 11:40 AM
"And you don't think, that if you invade their territory, or threaten them, or stop them from doing something criminal, that they will fight you head on?"

The man looks extremely puzzled, to say the least.

Rentok
2010-07-18, 12:03 PM
"They might, but my strengths lay in protecting others, not in hunting down criminals. I am a protector, not a hunter."

Shadowleaf
2010-07-19, 12:38 AM
"But why would a common poor family need a protector? Those that know harm is coming has enemies, or expects to make some. Poor families do not usually make enemies."

Rentok
2010-07-19, 12:50 AM
"Not usually, no, but I would assume, in a city this size, there would be a few cases of those that have no money, but do have enemies. Family grudges, perhaps, or they may have had money previously, but the same groups they need protection from have stripped them of their wealth. I am not specifically looking for poorer folk, merely those that have need of my protection. You said that some of the members of the church have had troubles lately, yet your paladins are stretched as thin as the guard, I would expect. I doubt the individual members of the clergy have money in excess enough to afford to pay bodyguards. I would be glad to help them, but I cannot protect them all. Which is why I had asked if there were anyone in particular that seemed to be targeted more frequently..."

T'ode sighed, and shook his head slowly.

"But alas, you do not seem to know of anyone who is in need of my aid. Perhaps this Sir Ulrik will have a task for me. If you would but point me in his direction..."

Shadowleaf
2010-07-19, 01:09 AM
"I doubt such individuals would tell the church of Pelor of such hardships. They turn to the City Guard, or they turn to no one. You should find Sir Ulrik out in the courtyard within an hour's passing. He is scheduled to talk to some of the new recruits."

Rentok
2010-07-19, 01:29 AM
T'ode nodded. "Thank you for your help... I think."

He headed out to the courtyard and took a walk around, admiring the carvings and the scenery while he waited for Sir Ulrik to show up and adress the new recruits.

Shadowleaf
2010-07-19, 01:54 AM
After a few minutes, you see an armored man striding through the gate. He is just shy of 6'6" tall, broad across the chest, and has long flowing red hair which almost flies in the wind. His face is covered with a helmet.
He is wearing a beautifully crafted fullplate, the hilt of some weapon can be seen across his back, and you think you see a shield strap as well. His very presence commands respect and obedience.
He wears a tabard over his armor with the symbol of Pelor on it. You can tell he is a ranking officer by the way the paladins and common people greet him.

Rentok
2010-07-19, 01:59 AM
T'ode maneuvers himself to intercept this man's approach, and bows politely to him.

"Ah, might you be Sir Ulrik, the paladin?"

Shadowleaf
2010-07-19, 02:02 AM
The man stops, and pulls off his helmet. He is amazingly beautiful and easy on the eyes. He doesn't look to be more than 29 years of age, has sharp and striking features, a thin but muscled face, and a easy smile on his lips. "Yes, I am indeed sir Ulrik, paladin of Pelor. Who do I have the pleasure of speaking to, master..?"

Rentok
2010-07-19, 02:15 AM
"Sir T'ode Ironjaw, Knight of Wyvernstone, at your service." T'ode said, removing his own helm, "I was hoping you might be able to help me. You see, I am having trouble finding anyone in need of protection."

I, um, just sort of made up an order of knights on the spot. I don't think it matters. If it does, let me know and I'll change it to something more suitable.

Shadowleaf
2010-07-19, 02:18 AM
Sir Ulrik nods a greeting. "Another knight, always a sight for sore eyes. Define protection? You wish to do the heroic act of pushing yourself between a fair maiden and a ruthless ruffian, but have no fair maiden in distress?"

Rentok
2010-07-19, 02:23 AM
T'ode shrugged, "More or less, though I'm a bit more flexible on the details than all that. Anyone unable to protect themselves, or without others already to protect them, who needs protection from any number of sources. Be it protecting a fair maid from an over zealous lover, or watching over a priest on a crucial errand. At this point, I don't appear to have much choice. There isn't much room in this city for a protector of the weak, it seems, except as a guard or paladin, neither of which I am."

Shadowleaf
2010-07-19, 02:26 AM
"I can always use steadfast and determined men, be they men of the church or men of the land. I value three virtues above all else - strength, honor and dedication. If you have these abound, I am sure we can find work for you."

Rentok
2010-07-19, 02:36 AM
T'ode shook his head. "I apologize, but I am no paladin. A life of service to the gods is not for me. I serve as a protector to those who need me. I am bound by honor, not Pelor's will." T'ode sighs, "I was told you might be able to tell me of someone in need of protection. If that is not so, then it seems this has been just a vast waste of both of our time. Can you help me, or not?"

Shadowleaf
2010-07-19, 02:44 AM
"You misunderstand me. I do not mean serve under Pelor, I meant serve under me. I am of the Hertz family - a noble family, should you be in doubt - and I could use a fresh set of hands for protecting both family and clerical interests. You would not be serving Pelor any more than you are now - it would just free up some of my other paladins. You would most likely be guarding clerics as they do errands in the city, or guard them doing diplomatic meetings."

Rentok
2010-07-19, 02:51 AM
T'ode fairly glared at the man, fully irritated now. "So then you cannot help me, except in offering me a job as an ornament. You offer me a job that is already being done by your paladins, so that they are free to go and do more of the same. I fail to see how that serves any purpose whatsoever."

Shadowleaf
2010-07-19, 02:54 AM
Sir Ulrik's smile faints. He raises his voice. "You address a nobleman with the respect he deserves, sir. I have done nothing but the same. I offer you a chance to protect the most honored priests of Pelor as they do important work for the church, so that I may relocate my men currently guarding the priests to do other work in the name of the Sun God. I am offering you a chance to do good, take it or leave it, but do not disgrace my good name in doing so. I am simply trying to help."

Rentok
2010-07-19, 03:37 AM
T'ode nods and puts his helm back on his head.

"My apologies to the great and noble Ulrik Hertz, leader of men, most mighty of mighty, all powerful voice of Pelor in this humble city, he who can do no wrong and makes never a single mistake. I do not serve Pelor, as I have said now thrice to you. I care not for the advancement of his will. I ask for direction so that I may help the people of this city, and you attempt to place me in the service of yourself, for the benefit of your god. I apologize for your misunderstanding, as it would be a shame for this to come to blows between us, and my pride is not so great yet. Farewell, paladin, I see you can not help me. A word of advice before I go: Next time you cannot help someone, simply say so."

With that, T'ode steps around the paladin and heads off into the city to try and find someone in need.

Shadowleaf
2010-07-19, 08:26 AM
"I offered you my help, you turned it then, and then you took my help and spat on it. Do pray to whatever God you follow that our paths never cross again - I may not be so kind the next time around. I would not show my face here again, if I were you, sir."

As you exit through the gates, you feel the entire courtyard - the paladins in particular - are looking at you.

Rentok
2010-07-19, 12:07 PM
Nice work on the paladin. A guy that doesn't listen properly, assumes everyone is there for the advancement of his god, is too prideful to admit a mistake, swears vengeance on those that point out his mistakes, and is just generally all-around useless.

I'm being serious, as far as religious fanatics go, you are my favourite DM for the creation of them. If I ever DM a campaign, would you mind if I came to you for pointers on how to do that?

I am NOT being sarcastic. My character may have just made an enemy, but that doesn't mean I didn't enjoy that. Very nicely done. If letters had hands, I'd be telling these to applaud you.

T'ode ignored the paladin, because he must be mistaken in what he had heard, otherwise he would have been honor-bound to accept the challenge. Instead, he shrugged and shook his head. He was about to head to the guards and see if they could help him, but it was becoming clear that the authority figures already in place in this town thought everyone was happy with how things were.

T'ode sighed, and admitted he would probably have to work for a noble. If he was lucky, there might be a noble that could not afford enough bodyguards to protect his entire family, or some such thing.

T'ode took a moment to recall what he knew of the nobility of the city. What different noble houses there were, and what sort of people each family was.

Knowledge (Nobility and Royalty): (+9)
[roll0]

Shadowleaf
2010-07-19, 12:38 PM
That's a very broad question. Could you narrow it down? Perhaps explain what you hope to find? A noble family on the poorer side of filthy rich?

Rentok
2010-07-19, 01:12 PM
I want a list of the nobility. Like The Hertz Family and the Freys, and traits about them. Like, The Hertzes are proud, the Freys are religious, stuff liek that, in as much detail as my roll will allow. I can make more checks if this is a complex use of the skill, or something.

Shadowleaf
2010-07-19, 01:45 PM
There are a lot of noble families, OOC I'd rather avoid typing them all. What are you looking for?

Rentok
2010-07-19, 01:58 PM
Oh, um... I'm not sure. Any of them who are sort of poor for nobles, being targeted for more assassination/other crimes, are known to be good to the common folk, are currently the target of a vicious campaign, or have children that need protection. Like a daughter at the university who doesn't live on her family's estate, and doesn't have their protection, but might be a target of the other nobles. Basically anything of the sort that would catch my character's interest.

For the record, T'ode wants to help those that need help, not those that don't. Sir Ulrik was clearly strong enough to handle himself. In T'ode's eyes, he had no business asking for help from T'ode. T'ode doesn't want to fill in for some nameless NPC guard. If the person would be just fine without protection, like a gladiator who can defend himself, or if they already have protection, like the wealthy merchant and his bodyguards, then T'ode isn't needed and he feels he would be able to help more somewhere else.

Shadowleaf
2010-07-20, 07:53 PM
Even with your vast knowledge of the affairs of the nobles, you do not know a great deal about the personal lives of the nobles - you know their of names, wealth, even some intrique, but not really of their personal quarrels.

You do seem to recall the name of the Gheros family. They are noble, but only barely - apparently, they have been in some sort of financial trouble, and are on the edge between maintaining their nobility and not. The exact reason for this is unknown.

Rentok
2010-07-20, 08:10 PM
T'ode's brow furrowed in thought. A noble family that was on the verge of losing their noble status? Well, it wasn't life threatening, exactly, but... well, perhaps to a noble it would be. It would be a very large adjustment, going from working finances and intellectually like a noble to having to do manual labor just to survive. The family would probably be hard pressed just to maintain a home. Perhaps he could help, depending on what the problem was. It wasn't like he had anything better to do.

T'ode sets out in search of the Gheros Estate, trying to recall where it is located, or asking around if he cannot remember.

Knowledge (Nobility): (+9)
[roll0]

Gather Information: (+2) (Taking 20)

If I cannot take 20 on the GI check, then:
[roll1]

Shadowleaf
2010-07-20, 08:18 PM
You do seem to recall the Gheros not having an actual estate - but rather just a big house. They live with the other lesser nobles in the "Noble" District (it's technically not part of the Noble district, yet mostly nobles live there) just south of the inner city gate.

You head for the "Noble" District and stop a City Guard patrol who are happy to direct you. You head north on Mastiff's Road until you encounter a two-story house with the letters "Gheros" written in beautiful letters on the side. The house has a single large oaken door on the front, two windows on the ground floor, and three on the upper floor.

Rentok
2010-07-20, 08:25 PM
T'ode strides boldly up to the oaken door and knocks.

Shadowleaf
2010-07-20, 08:30 PM
A young woman of roughly 17 of age opens. She is quite beautiful, with long flaming-red hair and freckles. She is wearing a green summer dress of some fine material. "Hi there, what can I do for you?"

Rentok
2010-07-20, 08:36 PM
T'ode removes his helm and bows deeply.

"T'ode Ironjaw, at your service Milady. Which is the reason for my being here, actually. To offer my services to the Gheros family."

Shadowleaf
2010-07-20, 09:51 PM
"Services? Did my father send for you?"

Rentok
2010-07-20, 10:32 PM
T'ode shook his head. "No, Milady, I was not sent for. I heard that your family was, erm... having troubles... and thought that I should offer to help in any way I can."

Shadowleaf
2010-07-20, 11:29 PM
The girl looks confused. "Having.. Troubles? What have you heard?"

Rentok
2010-07-20, 11:39 PM
"Merely that your family is having financial issues, and is barely maintaining your status as nobility. I wish to help in any way I can, so I came to offer my services."

He bows again, for good measure.

Shadowleaf
2010-07-20, 11:41 PM
"What are you talking about? We've no such problems."

Even with your poor grasp on reading human behaviour, you pick up on her being a terrible liar.

Rentok
2010-07-20, 11:59 PM
T'ode nods, and respects that she does not want to tell him the truth. "Ah, well, it must have been just rumors then. I'm glad to hear it. Yet still, I wish to offer my services anyways. I have been searching all over the city for some way that I may be of aid to someone, and cannot find a single person or family in need of a bodyguard. I would appreciate it greatly if you would allow me to protect you and your family."

Shadowleaf
2010-07-21, 12:05 AM
The young woman leans out of the house, glancing left and right. ".. Get in. We'll talk."
She leads you into the house. The first room is a large greeting hall, with a rack for coats, hats and the sort. There is a small table, which looks like it used to have something on it which is now gone.
She leads you through the house and into a dining hall. She takes a seat at a large oaken table. "I'd ask you to sit, but I don't know if the chair will hold up to the weight of your armor. I was lying, we do have some.. Trouble. My father will not let me go anywhere, he says it is for my own protection. He thinks I do not know, but I am no idiot - he is in trouble, and whatever trouble he is bringing, it is coming down on me, as well. I do not know the specifics, but it seems bad.. Very bad. He is always standing near a window, glancing out, as if expecting someone.. He is always jumpy, and never ever smiles anymore. And the money is gone, all gone.."

Rentok
2010-07-21, 12:54 AM
T'ode looks around slowly, thinking things over a bit before speaking.

"Hard times indeed, it seems. I don't know how I can help your family recover lost money, but perhaps I can help protect you and your father from whatever it is he fears. I won't ask for payment, I help because I want to. I vow on my honor, as long as you desire my protection, you shall have it."

Upon making his vow, he kneels and bows his head respectfully.

Shadowleaf
2010-07-21, 01:07 AM
"Oh, get up, there is no need for all that for me." She seems to be blushing. "However, I do not think I need as much.. Protection as my father does."

Rentok
2010-07-21, 01:09 AM
T'ode slowly stands back up.

"I will do my very best to protect you both, of course. Perhaps we should speak with your father?"

Shadowleaf
2010-07-21, 01:16 AM
"Father is out at the moment. He disappears for most of the day, comes back at supper time. He says he is working, but.. I do not know. He used to be a scholar, but I doubt that is what he does these days.."

Rentok
2010-07-21, 01:19 AM
T'ode nods. "Then I suppose we shall have to wait until he gets back. What shall we do until then, Milady?"

Shadowleaf
2010-07-21, 01:24 AM
She looks a bit startled. "Are you.. Hitting on me?"

Rentok
2010-07-21, 01:30 AM
T'ode steps back, shocked.

"N-no, Milady. I was just asking what you wished to do while we wait for your father to return. I apologize if I have offended you."

He bows again.

Shadowleaf
2010-07-21, 02:21 AM
"Good.. Anyway, how about we get to know one another? Who might you be, then?"

Rentok
2010-07-21, 02:27 AM
"Sir T'ode Ironjaw by name. I am a Knight of Wyvernstone, though I must admit, I have not as yet been able to measure up to the great name of my order."

Shadowleaf
2010-07-21, 02:29 AM
"I am sure you do what you can, sir T'ode. I am Sarah Gheros, I am no one special - I can do a bit of magic tricks, but that is about it. I pretend to hone my skills at the academy, but they can not teach me anything, really."

Rentok
2010-07-21, 02:35 AM
T'ode smiles, "Ah, but even the smallest magic, in the right situation, can work wonders. Do not sell yourself short, Milady. Pray tell, what magics are you able to use?"

Shadowleaf
2010-07-21, 02:40 AM
"They call them cantrips. You know, nifty little spells, mostly useless, but fun in the right situation. I can mend things, perform minor magic tricks, whisper short messenges and make light."

Rentok
2010-07-21, 02:49 AM
"That's a very useful skill, Milady. Never underestimate the importance of light. I may be able to see in the dark, but not everyone is so lucky."

Shadowleaf
2010-07-21, 02:54 AM
She smiles a bit. "Yes, I am as useful as a candle - mother would have been proud."

Rentok
2010-07-21, 03:20 AM
T'ode chuckles softly, "It's more magic than I can perform, and more usefulness than most folk I've met. You're mother would have every right to be proud."

Shadowleaf
2010-08-01, 09:22 AM
"Well.. Enough about me. What can you do, sir knight? Do you have any.. Hidden abilities?"

Rentok
2010-08-01, 02:11 PM
"Not really. I'm good at stopping people from getting past me, and there are not many folk that will ignore a challenge from a knight. If someone does manage to injure the person I am protecting, I can lessen the pain by taking part of the attack on myself instead... A specialized set of abilities, but perfect for duty as a bodyguard."

Shadowleaf
2010-08-02, 10:00 AM
"Very interesting! And very useful, indeed. I still do not understand why you would help someone like us, with nothing really to offer. My father does know a lot of interesting individuals, which I am sure he would introduce you to, should you want to protect him."

Rizban
2010-08-02, 08:25 PM
A terrible explosion suddenly rocks the entire city, and the ground shakes as if an earthquake were tearing the city apart. The sky lights up from a blast many times the brightness of the sun, and you are certain that certain death has at last come to claim you. As the brightness fades, you look toward the Mages' Quarter and see the last remnants of the horror burning directly towards the sky in a seemingly endless stream of raw, burning mana which threatens to tear reality asunder. What seems like an eternity passes as you stare, though it is likely only a few seconds, and at last the blast fades away. In the distance, you hear a building collapse, and you are certain that something horrible has been unleashed upon the city.

Rentok
2010-08-02, 08:47 PM
T'ode places a hand on his axe and rushes to the nearest window to peer outside, unless he see's something, he walks back over to the lady.

"I want to help you because you seem to need help, and I am able to help you. I am honour bound to help those who need my help, and I need nothing in return. I shall protect you, and your father, if you request it..." T'ode pauses, then asks, "It seems something has happened... what would you like to do? If you wish to go see what has happened, I will protect you with my life. If you would rather stay here and wait for your father, I will still protect you with my life."

Shadowleaf
2010-08-03, 01:56 AM
Roll a spot check, please.

The young woman is obviously baffled by the sudden explosion, but quickly snaps back to her senses. "I need to go investigate, now! I have friends living in the Mage Quarter!"

Rentok
2010-08-04, 08:43 PM
Spot: (+2)
[roll0]

"Calm yourself, milady. We'll go, but carefully. Is there a uniform your family has their servants wear? I doubt your father's enemies will be after a maid and a guard, in case that explosion was merely a way to lure us out."

Shadowleaf
2010-08-04, 09:50 PM
You don't notice anything out of the ordinary, except the giant hole in the ground.
"I.. Guess. Though I must say I am not much for disguises. I do not believe I have any enemies of note."

Rentok
2010-08-04, 09:56 PM
"Better safe than sorry. It'll also save you a yelling at if we bump into your father, as long as he doesn't take much notice of your face." T'ode said, keeping an eye on the doors and windows. "Do the best you can with the disguise, and then we'll head out."

T'ode follows her, standing close, and when she goes into a room to changes, stands with his back to the door to wait.

Shadowleaf
2010-08-05, 06:20 AM
The young woman gets up, and leads you through a door, through a hallway, upstairs and lets you stand guard in front of what you think is her dressing room. As she is about to close the door, she turns her head and looks you directly in the eyes. She smiles. She then closes the door.

A few minutes later, the door is opened again - this time, she looks like a scholar or a monk. She has a dark grey robe with a deep hood, a simple cloth belt and a bag across her shoulder. Though it does not fit her exactly, it does not look anything like what you would expect a woman of noble heritage to wear.

"Good enough?"

Rentok
2010-08-05, 09:11 AM
T'ode grins, "I'm sorry, did you happen to see a young noble lady while you were in there? I'm supposed to be protecting her." he teased. "It will do splendidly. Let us go see that your friends are safe. If anyone sees us leaving, you are a sorceress, and I am a knight, we have just been declined a job here due to lack of funds. Once we are a few blocks away, our story changes if we are still unnoticed, and you are a simple scholar, and I am your bodyguard. While we are out we had best do some small shopping or browsing, as if we do not have a specific destination in mind. Other than that, we can do as you wish, milady. Do try to stay out of trouble, if possible, though. I don't run fast." He leads the way out the door, treating her every bit like a comrade in arms.

Shadowleaf
2010-08-09, 05:23 AM
The young woman walks gracefully besides you, but keeps 'in character' with every step. She hides her face deep within the hood, her head slightly bowed.

No one seems to notice the two of you.

You make your way to the Mages' Quarter, and obviously have no trouble finding the gaping crater in the hole. As you approach it, the damage to surrounding buildings increases. Eventually, you find the source, a smoking crater in the ground some 300 feet across and 100 feet deep. Nearer to the surface, you can see sewer tunnels sliced open by the blast, a slow trickle of sewage is just beginning to flow from one of the tunnels into the crater.

A crowd of the curious has begun to gather. The City Guard, to their credit, has already formed a perimeter and begun to try to send people away from the site of destruction. It is quite easy to mingle with the crowd unnoticed.

Rentok
2010-08-09, 12:46 PM
T'ode falls back to stand closer to Sarah, and whispers to her without turning his head. "What now? Where would we find your friends in all this?"

Shadowleaf
2010-08-09, 03:28 PM
Sarah is already scouting around, trying to catch a glimpse of someone in the crowd. After a few minutes, she starts walking around, in a pace where you you can keep up. Half an hour pass by, and she has yet to locate anyone she knows.
After a little over half an hour, she spots someone she knows. She pulls you close, point at someone and whispers in your ear. "That's my father."

She is pointing at a man of average height and build, roughly between 48 and 53 years old, scouting out over the hole. He is wearing a black robe with a simple deep hood pulled down. He is too far away for you to see any distinct features.
You notice he is flanked by two others wearing similar clothes.

Rentok
2010-08-10, 01:50 AM
T'ode nods and motions for them to disappear back into the crowds. He whispers to her as he does so, "I don't think he's noticed us, let's try to avoid him for now. If your friends aren't here, where would they be?"

Shadowleaf
2010-08-10, 07:26 AM
"I.. Don't know. I mean, they might have been caught in the explosion.. Or they might've been in another part of town. Wait, I know! Can we find someone to cast a locating spell for us?"

Rentok
2010-08-10, 06:20 PM
"We can certainly try. We're in the mages' quarter, I'm sure someone around here must be able to cast it for us. Let's check some of the shops and stalls for someone offering spellcasting services."

Shadowleaf
2010-08-12, 03:09 PM
"But they would most likely ask for gold. I do not have my pouch - my father takes it when he goes out, to ensure I do not use my money unwisely."

Rentok
2010-08-12, 09:26 PM
"It shouldn't be that expensive. I have a bit of gold available. Maybe we should start by checking your friends' homes, or places they hang out, first. It would be simpler, I think, and I'd rather not have to share our destination with a mage that sells his knowledge for coin."

Shadowleaf
2010-08-15, 08:44 AM
Sarah motions for you to follow, and leads you through the Mages' Quarter.

As you are walking through the district, you begin to notice the large amounts of refugees on the move. They seem to be heading for the various churches and other societies willing to help them.

"You know, maybe my friends headed for the Sisters of Salvation."

Rentok
2010-08-15, 08:29 PM
T'ode nods in agreement, "Perhaps they have, it won't hurt to check. I hope we find them soon."

He hurries onward with Sarah, eager to ensure her friends' safety.

Shadowleaf
2010-08-17, 05:24 AM
"They might still be moving towards one of the buildings owned by the Sisters of Salvation, or they might have gone to their headquarters. Should we go to their headquarters? They might not have made it there yet."

Rentok
2010-08-17, 09:58 AM
"Let's head towards it, and check other buildings on the way. If they're not there yet, they should be by the time we arrive."

Shadowleaf
2010-08-18, 04:20 PM
You head eastward, toward the exact center of the town. The Sisters of Salvation Center is a small two story plaster building with several open windows on the corner of Porter's Road and Steinbacher Hohl.

On the way, you pick up the rumours descriped in the first post of the OOC thread. Do you wish to react to that?

Rentok
2010-08-18, 06:09 PM
T'ode chooses to ignore the rumour, more concerned with protecting Sarah, and finding her friends.

Shadowleaf
2010-08-18, 06:16 PM
The building is large and rather plain. There seems to be a lot more people than usual: Women wearing white and black clothes mark themselves out as the 'authority' around this place - they greet newcoming refugees, treat wounds on injured, carries around supplies and so forth.
There is a lot of people, and Sarah is already standing on her toes spotting around. Her face lights up in joy as she obviously spots someone she knows. "That's Matthew!"
She starts darting through the crowd at an impressive speed.

Rentok
2010-08-18, 06:48 PM
T'ode grunts and follows after her as fast as he can. When he catches up to her, he sternly says, "Milady, it will be hard to protect you if you keep running off on your own."

He looks at Matthew briefly to make sure he isn't someone in a disguise.

Shadowleaf
2010-08-21, 02:30 PM
He seems like an ordinary boy.
He is average of height, a pretty boy with a nice set of noblemen's clothes - albeit dirty, they still look expensive. His fingers and neck are adorned with jewelry.
He hugs Sarah tightly, then turns and adresses you. "And who might this.. Ironman be? My name is Lord Matthew Hermann." He looks you dead square in the eyes.

Rentok
2010-08-21, 03:34 PM
T'ode looks right back, then slowly bows. "Sir T'ode Ironjaw. It is a pleasure to meet you, good sir."

Shadowleaf
2010-08-21, 03:36 PM
"Matthew is one of my oldest friends. We were homeschooled together."

"Indeed we were, my rose. It is a pleasure to meet you, good sir.. Knight, I assume? Of what order or land are you a knight?"

Matthew gestures towards your shield.

Sense Motive please.

Rentok
2010-08-21, 03:50 PM
Sense Motive: (+2)
[roll0]

Shadowleaf
2010-08-21, 05:43 PM
Somehow, you're sure Sarah is lying. She seems shifty. Matthew seems to be in on it too.

Rentok
2010-08-21, 05:48 PM
T'ode nods. "I am a Knight of Wyvernstone... Perhaps we should move somewhere more private, where we can speak openly without fear of being overheard."

Shadowleaf
2010-08-21, 05:53 PM
"One second. Matthew, where are the others?" Sarah looks a bit baffled.

"Others?"

"Heidi, Leonard, Sophie.. Liam?"

"They're inside. They're safe and sound, a bit ruffled by the explosion, so they're getting some water. "

"Oh thank Pelor!"

Sarah is obviously relieved from the news, and agrees to head with you. Matthew follows on her other side. He walks and greets exactly like a nobleman would.

Rentok
2010-08-21, 05:58 PM
T'ode nods and heads inside with them, to find Sarah's other friends.

Shadowleaf
2010-08-21, 06:01 PM
You can safely assume it is not more private inside - people are constantly passing in and out. A couple of Sisters are fanning out into the crowd, telling healthy bystanders to clear the street - there has to be room to transport the wounded.

Rentok
2010-08-21, 06:05 PM
"Let's find your friends first, and then we can find someplace private to talk."

Shadowleaf
2010-08-22, 10:41 AM
The Sisters look as if they are about to stop you, but Matthew pushes forward and makes himself visible. They notice his attire and jewelry, and let you slip inside.

The inside of the building is rather plain. Most of the funiture has been moved in order to make way for bunkbeds currently filled with wounded humanoids. Sisters and other good-doers are healing and bandaging the wounded.

Sarah and Matthew have no trouble locating their friends - they are some of the people standing upright who are not wearing blood-smeared clothes. They look shaken and dirty, but have no visible wounds. Some of them are even helping out by carrying gear, holding bandages and so forth.

Everyone in the group is around 16 to 20 years of age, obviously higher class citizens with finer clothes, wellgroomed and nicely cut hair. They take turns embracing Sarah in greeting. Sarah introduces you as Sir T'ode Ironjaw of Wyrvenstone, and they greet you politely.
After a few seconds, the lot of you are asked by a Sister to either help out or go outside. Several members of the group spring to aid. Sarah and Matthew look at you an await instructions - they are obviously viewing you as the leader.

Take 1500 XP for helping a girl in need.

Rentok
2010-08-22, 10:51 AM
"We should probably get you back home before your father finds out you're gone... If your friends can join us, that would be best, I think." T'ode suggests.

Shadowleaf
2010-08-22, 10:59 AM
"Somehow, I do not think my father will go home to check up on me. I am sure he will be made busy by the explosion. I would rather stay here and help the wounded, than sit on my hands at home and wait for my father. I should be plenty safe here - no one would want attack the Sisters' headquarters, after all. I am also sure they could use your help a lot more than I need it right now."

Rentok
2010-08-22, 11:11 AM
"As you wish, then. We'll stay here and help."

Shadowleaf
2010-08-25, 02:15 AM
You, Sarah and Matthew start helping the Sisters. You are put to work carrying supplies, removing dead bodies and holding down struggling patients.

After an hour or so the work load slows down, and the Sisters seem to be on top of things. Sarah is still busy at work, as she has some knowledge of applying bandages.

A Sister wearing the usual white attire, though with a bit of added gold details, approaches you. She is roughly 40 years of age, but looks alert. Wisdom brims from her eyes.
"Excuse me, master Dwarf, could I enquire for you to perform a good deed in the name of the Sisters, seeing as you seem to have a pause in your work? You look like a competent warrior, and we need an escort for a priest of ours - we need to help out those too wounded to be moved, but... Our organization have recieved some threats lately, and I would rather not have him walk alone."

Rentok
2010-08-25, 11:38 AM
T'ode pauses and looks over at Sarah, to she that she is still working. His brow knits in frustration as he tries to think of a way to help without putting her at risk. He turns back to the Sister and sighs. "Please allow me a moment to consult with my acquaintances, and perhaps I'll be able to help."

He nods to her politely, then heads over to where Sarah is. "The sisters need someone to escort a priest for a little while. Will you be alright staying here with your friends until I return, or would you like me to stay?"

Shadowleaf
2010-08-25, 01:24 PM
Sarah takes a quick glance around. "I doubt I am at risk here - who would attack one of the biggest collections of good people in the land? And with this much work? Go, woosh woosh, do your thing."

Rentok
2010-08-25, 03:17 PM
T'ode nods and returns to the Sister. "Very well. I shall escort the priest to and from his destination."

Shadowleaf
2010-08-25, 06:24 PM
You are lead into a nondescript back room, where a young woman is gearing up. She looks to be roughly 23 years of age, she has short blond hair and a strong but quite beautiful face. She seems fairly relaxed as she straps on a belt, and sheaths an impressive warhammer across her back. Though it is hard to see through her baggy robe, she seems to be rather fit. She also seems to be somewhat strong, if you are to judge from her neck- and forearm muscles.
As you enter the room, she greets you with a smile, and extends her hand. She speaks with an accent which you cannot quite place. "Hi, I am Anna, the Elder Sister maybe mentioned me. I am honored to meet you, Dwarf, your kind are much respected in my lands, Earth one. How may I know you, friend?"

Rentok
2010-08-25, 06:27 PM
T'ode takes her hand and bows politely. "I am Sir T'ode Ironjaw, Knight of Wyvernstone, lady. I take it we shall be working together to protect the priest on his rounds? I look forward to working with you."

Shadowleaf
2010-08-27, 05:17 AM
She looks midly surprised, then smiles. "Ah, you talk to Mother Kathrine. She always confusing me with being man. I wear much armor sometimes, you understand? I am warrior-priest of my tribe."

Rentok
2010-08-27, 12:06 PM
T'ode nods, "Oh, forgive me if I have offended you, then. You just don't look to me like someone who needs much protection. If Mother Katherine is so worried, though, as to ask my help, then I'll come along with you."