PDA

View Full Version : What the F... eats?

Morph Bark
2010-07-19, 10:48 AM
JUST A HENCHMAN
Prerequisites: Str 9 or lower
Benefit: You can carry four times as much as normal, having trained yourself in lifting heavier things while relinquishing fighting ability and the use of strength-based skills.

JUST A MEATSHIELD
Prerequisites: Dex 9 or lower, BAB+1, 1st level only
Benefit: Once per round, you can and must willingly fail the first Reflex save you are entitled to or allow the first attack that targets you to hit you without fail. You gain an additional 3 hit points per level.

JUST A LINGUIST
Prerequisites: Int 9 or lower, must be capable of speaking languages, 1st level only
Benefit: Your Int penalty functions instead as an Int bonus for the purpose of determining bonus languages gained. Furthermore, at level 4 and every four levels thereafter, you gain one bonus language.

However, you aren’t perfect with the use of these languages and every time you speak in a language gained through this feat, you must make a level check (1d20 + character level). On a result of 15 you manage to say what you want perfectly. If you fail, you mispronounce some words and don’t convey your meaning well enough and the other party might misinterpret you. If you fail by 5 or more, you say some really embarrassing or offensive things, causing the other party to become two steps closer to hostile (hostile if they were indifferent or worse before, unfriendly if they were friendly, indifferent if they were helpful). This attitude remains until the end of the encounter and 1d6 hours afterwards.

JUST A GUARD
Prerequisites: Wis 9 or lower
Benefit: All Int- and Cha-based skills are never class skills for you. Listen and Spot are always class skills for you. You gain a +4 bonus on Listen and Spot checks.

JUST A MESSENGER
Prerequisites: Cha 9 or lower
Benefit: By going about it slowly and carefully, you can voice the words of your leader well in another language. By taking ten times as long, you may use someone else’s Diplomacy check in your place, but if that other person is not present (or can’t convey the words to you through magic), you must have a written version of what to say with you and you must be able to read.

JUST ACKNOWLEDGEABLE
Benefit: You can use Knowledge skills that you have 0 ranks in untrained, but only if the DC of the check is 20 or less. However, you must also re-roll Bluff, Diplomacy, Gather Information and Intimidate checks and use the lower roll.

I'M JUST SAIYAN
Prerequisites: BAB+6, Int and Cha 9 or lower
Benefit: You gain the ability to enter a state that is similar to a barbarian's rage as a full-round action once per day. Your hair turns golden and your eyes turn green and your body seems to bulk up and pulse with power. For 1 round/level or until you fall unconscious, your Str, Dex and Con modifiers count as double. At the end of this transformation, you must make a Will save (DC 10 + your character level) or fall unconscious for 1 hour. Even if you succeed you become fatigued instead.

JUST ICE
Prerequisites: Int 9 or lower, Good alignment
Benefit: You gain the ability to serve evildoers a cold glass of justice. Once per day per level you can use detect evil as a supernatural ability at will. If you determine a creature to be evil in this manner, you can spend a standard action to deal 1d6/2 levels points of cold damage to each evil creature in the area of your detect evil ability.

Partly inspired by this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160641), even though it wasn't brought up in there. I suppose you could call them anti-feats?

Antifeats can be implemented in several ways:
As normal feats
Antifeats could just be used as normal feats, the normal way. However, antifeats may seem rather weak for this, as they are essentially more like traits, except for the fact that you can learn them and exchange them.

The idea for antifeats is always that if you lose access to one of them - permanently (like the ability score was raised and it wasn't an enhancement bonus), you can get another one by practicing for a day or so.

As extra traits
When used as extra traits, antifeats are gained every few levels, every 4 levels being an okay standard (make it less and it would be too much, but more, like every 5 or 7 levels is likely better).

Temotei
2010-07-19, 12:21 PM
Just a Meatshield takes away hit points, usually. Say they get an additional three hit points.

Morph Bark
2010-07-19, 12:29 PM
Just a Meatshield takes away hit points, usually. Say they get an additional three hit points.

Ah! Thanks for noticing that small thing. It is so easily overlooked. Fixed that now.

Do the others have any similar problems?

For Valor
2010-07-19, 01:51 PM
other than the feats making me want to cry? No.

This stuff is somehwere between Alertness and Power Attack. It's befitting of Fighters and Monks, but nothing better.

Temotei
2010-07-19, 01:56 PM
Do their attitudes return to their normal statuses after 1d6 hours (Just a Linguist)?

Other than that, I don't see anything problematic, other than the fact that these will never be taken as feats. Maybe if you granted one free anti-feat per character...if they wanted them...they might be okay. Just a Guard wouldn't be awful for a fighter, for example.

Dairun Cates
2010-07-19, 02:03 PM
Holy Crap! That Squirrel Speaks 5 Languages... Poorly!

Silverscale
2010-07-19, 02:18 PM
I think these look like excellent ways to help out characters who rolled really low on one or more stats. I agree that players should be given a free "Anti-feat" at first level if they want it.

Darkxarth
2010-07-19, 02:59 PM
I agree that they make nice level 1 feats for players who rolled poorly in a stat.

Just a Messenger seems weak compared to the others, though, if you intend player use (fine if it is for NPCs).

I would also revise Just a Linguist so that it looks more like this:
{table]Intelligence Modifier|Bonus Languages
-1|+4
-2|+3
-3|+2
-4|+1[/table]
Or maybe a flat bonus of 2 extra languages at 1st level and an additional language every 4 levels. After all, the other feats don't scale according to penalty.

Of course, now you need one for Constitution, but its only uses are HP, Fortitude saves, and the Concentration skill, and I will almost guarantee that if you have a low Con give a bonus to Concentration skill, 80% of Wizards and Sorcerers will take it, possibly deliberately putting their low score into Constitution for the increased bonus to Concentration.

Tinydwarfman
2010-07-19, 03:57 PM
My Frenzied Berzerker with -14 AC would love Just a Meatshield. :smallcool:

Morph Bark
2010-07-19, 07:27 PM
other than the feats making me want to cry? No.

This stuff is somehwere between Alertness and Power Attack. It's befitting of Fighters and Monks, but nothing better.

What, is it bad to give characters something a little nice if they otherwise suck badly enough already?

And if you thought Just A Henchman was PC stuff, that was your first mistake. :smalltongue:

Do their attitudes return to their normal statuses after 1d6 hours (Just a Linguist)?

That is the intention.

Other than that, I don't see anything problematic, other than the fact that these will never be taken as feats. Maybe if you granted one free anti-feat per character...if they wanted them...they might be okay. Just a Guard wouldn't be awful for a fighter, for example.

Perhaps. That could be an idea to use. I will think about it once my head is clearer and I'm not as tired as now.

I think these look like excellent ways to help out characters who rolled really low on one or more stats. I agree that players should be given a free "Anti-feat" at first level if they want it.

Thanks, that was the intention. I intend to try and make more of these, perhaps some involving 0 skill ranks, bad BAB or bad saves.

I agree that they make nice level 1 feats for players who rolled poorly in a stat.

Just a Messenger seems weak compared to the others, though, if you intend player use (fine if it is for NPCs).

I would also revise Just a Linguist so that it looks more like this:
-1|+4
-2|+3
-3|+2
-4|+1[/table]
Or maybe a flat bonus of 2 extra languages at 1st level and an additional language every 4 levels. After all, the other feats don't scale according to penalty.

Hm, could do that instead. My intention was to make it more like it is though:

-1|+1
-2|+2
-3|+3
-4|+4[/table]

Prettymuch just because you're already going about with an abysmal Int and big penalties to other stuff. These are meant to not entirely make sense, but still aid a character in some way as to not suck as much for one small thing that depends off a certain ability score that is low.

Of course, now you need one for Constitution, but its only uses are HP, Fortitude saves, and the Concentration skill, and I will almost guarantee that if you have a low Con give a bonus to Concentration skill, 80% of Wizards and Sorcerers will take it, possibly deliberately putting their low score into Constitution for the increased bonus to Concentration.

Yeah, I was stuck on that one and then dinna bother with it. I was considering putting that with Just A Meatshield at one point, but as it is, that just didn't work for me.

And maybe I should put in something for Just A Meatshield to not make it too saucy... but right now my mind is blank on that.

Mongoose87
2010-07-19, 10:03 PM
My Frenzied Berzerker with -14 AC would love Just a Meatshield. :smallcool:

It would be great for ensuring you never pass that save on Grease to keep you from killing your party.

imp_fireball
2010-07-19, 10:15 PM

A nice alternative to traits. Maybe if they get an extra boost at a later level (ie. a bonus feat; or two bonus feats if this costs a feat and doesn't actually replace traits).

DracoDei
2010-07-19, 11:02 PM
LINK (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4505657#post4505657) for wikipedia like cross-referencing purposes.

Morph Bark
2010-07-20, 04:36 AM
It would be great for ensuring you never pass that save on Grease to keep you from killing your party.

Kind of why it'd probably be a good idea to get something against such things. Any suggestions?

LINK (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4505657#post4505657) for wikipedia like cross-referencing purposes.

Heh, honestly hadn't ever seen that. I knew of your acid classes, but hadn't seen any anti-feats like these before. :smallamused:

Xallace
2010-07-20, 08:11 AM
I'm gonna be just an orc linguist! Now I can speak in fractured everything!

Now this reminds me of something I saw in a 3rd party book; a variant wherein you get a special ability for having a particularly low score. Yours are far better than that book's, and as such I think you should expand the list!

Morph Bark
2010-07-20, 10:16 AM
I'm gonna be just an orc linguist! Now I can speak in fractured everything!

Now this reminds me of something I saw in a 3rd party book; a variant wherein you get a special ability for having a particularly low score. Yours are far better than that book's, and as such I think you should expand the list!

Thanks! :smallbiggrin: Always great to hear a little support. Ego-boosting gives the confidence to keep on going with homebrew, after all.

I don't suppose you still know the name of the 3rd party book? I might be able to get a look into it and be inspired by it (and do better of course).

DracoDei
2010-07-20, 11:16 AM
Heh, honestly hadn't ever seen that. I knew of your acid classes, but hadn't seen any anti-feats like these before. :smallamused:

It wasn't originally intended as a joke at all. It was designed as a mechanical solution to the problem that, as one later thread put it, "In D&D the term 'Dumb Jock' is an oxymoron." and being especially useful for half-orc (and other Int penalty races) fighters and monks and such. It does relate in its effects to what you have though, which is why I posted it, and I suppose if grouped with them it might take on their humorous aspects.

I certainly wouldn't group them with the Acid Classes... those are SPECIFICALLY meant to be crippled or outright "does not compute" such as having the names of living organisms for attack bonuses in some cases. BTW, someone else rounded out the rest of the PHB mirroring Acid Classes.

EDIT: In case it isn't obvious, yours might work better as Traits (retaining the pre-requisites), rather than Feats. Mine I am not so sure about.

Mongoose87
2010-07-20, 12:46 PM
Kind of why it'd probably be a good idea to get something against such things. Any suggestions?

You want to kill your party?

Morph Bark
2010-07-20, 01:26 PM
You want to kill your party?

Of course, I'm the DM. :smallamused:

More on the point, I want the feats to be somewhat counter-intuitive (that's the whole point prettymuch), but yet also somewhat balanced. I think most are so far, only Just A Meatshield is perhaps a problem, so if anyone has any suggestions for it, I'd welcome them.

Xallace
2010-07-20, 01:52 PM
I don't suppose you still know the name of the 3rd party book? I might be able to get a look into it and be inspired by it (and do better of course).

Advanced Player's Guide from Sword and Sorcery.

The book itself is not particularly worthwhile; maybe one or two things actually stand out. The variant in question actually has a second half: penalties for characters with ability scores at 18+. Kinda interesting, I guess.

Temotei
2010-07-20, 07:12 PM
Advanced Player's Guide from Sword and Sorcery.

The book itself is not particularly worthwhile; maybe one or two things actually stand out. The variant in question actually has a second half: penalties for characters with ability scores at 18+. Kinda interesting, I guess.

Nice rolls! *subtracts 1 hit point per level*
What'd you do that for?
You rolled well in a game centered around rolling dice.

imp_fireball
2010-07-20, 08:14 PM
Besides potential traits or the special flaws I proposed, some of these are good feats for npc mooks.

Xallace
2010-07-20, 09:58 PM
Nice rolls! *subtracts 1 hit point per level*
What'd you do that for?
You rolled well in a game centered around rolling dice.

Yeaaaaah that was my reaction to it. :smalltongue:

I only say it was "kinda interesting" because options included things like having Con 20+ meant that if you made a save against poison, you didn't realize the poison was there.

...and honestly that's only a drawback if you're, like, testing food for the king.

UndeadCleric
2010-07-21, 03:23 AM
Holy Crap! That Squirrel Speaks 5 Languages... Poorly!
My thought exactly.

But just a henchman isnt horrible. I can see a wizard taking it though.

ericgrau
2010-07-21, 04:23 PM
I'd make just a linguist a flat 20% failure chance or at very low or high levels it gets messy. Just a guard is an easy victim of minmaxing for anyone who only has 2 skills anyway. Maybe you want that, but then it should be free with a houserule not from a feat.

Just a henchman + dwarf could make a hilarious 360 lb. carrying capacity without reducing movement speed. Similar to a strength of 28. Maybe tag it on a poor dwarf cleric healbot that carries all of the party's loot and sees only by peeking through the cracks between treasure.

Morph Bark
2010-07-21, 05:35 PM
Just a henchman + dwarf could make a hilarious 360 lb. carrying capacity without reducing movement speed. Similar to a strength of 28.

Perhaps, but his carrying capacity is still only about a fourth of someone with Str 28 at best.

And perhaps for Just A Linguist I should include "humanoid, monstrous humanoid giant or outsider type"? Or just "Int can't be 1 or 2"?

Thieves
2010-07-28, 04:13 PM
Like. +1. Have antifeats be received at 1, 5, 10 and 15. Further specialization and descent into madness as power (?) increases?

More antifeats, moar!

Perhaps Just An Extra, a bonus to Hide checks equal to 1,5 x Charisma penalty? Puh...puh...puh...puh-ker fays, for a penalty to enemy's Sense Motive checks against you equal to 1,5 your Wisdom / Intelligence penalty? Possibilities are endless!

DracoDei
2010-07-28, 06:30 PM
Is that second one an "A Fish Called Wanda" reference of some sort? I suspect not, but other than that I got nothin'.

ericgrau
2010-07-28, 09:54 PM
Perhaps Just An Extra, a bonus to Hide checks equal to 1,5 x Charisma penalty? Puh...puh...puh...puh-ker fays, for a penalty to enemy's Sense Motive checks against you equal to 1,5 your Wisdom / Intelligence penalty? Possibilities are endless!

Or how about +4 to hide checks for each level or CR you are below those around you :smallbiggrin:.

Perhaps, but his carrying capacity is still only about a fourth of someone with Str 28 at best.
Ya but practically speaking the str 28 guy doesn't like to carry more than a light load, which is the same amount of weight, unless he is also a dwarf. I was merely combo-ing dwarfness with that feat, to get an effective strength of 28 for carrying loot... as a str 9 wizard. Dwarfness alone already provides a big boost. I showed the result of double boosting... a str 9 wizard carrying 360 lbs. without slowing down. "What? I'm just a dwarf henchman."

Morph Bark
2010-07-29, 04:19 AM
Like. +1. Have antifeats be received at 1, 5, 10 and 15. Further specialization and descent into madness as power (?) increases?

More antifeats, moar!

Heh, glad you like it. :smallbiggrin:

I don't think I will include mechanics for including these, unless I'd put several ways to implement them as an aside. The Just An Extra is a nice idea. The only anti-feat I had in mind yet was something to do with Knowledge checks as long as you don't have any ranks in them. I don't get the reference with your second idea though.

Ya but practically speaking the str 28 guy doesn't like to carry more than a light load, which is the same amount of weight, unless he is also a dwarf. I was merely combo-ing dwarfness with that feat, to get an effective strength of 28 for carrying loot... as a str 9 wizard. Dwarfness alone already provides a big boost. I showed the result of double boosting... a str 9 wizard carrying 360 lbs. without slowing down. "What? I'm just a dwarf henchman."

Only if the Str 28 (29 actually) guy is wearing no armour or light armour, since otherwise his speed is being reduced anyway.

But eh, the point is that carrying capacity ain't that big of a deal most of the time. These feats aren't meant to be huge boons, but moreso to be nifty and more or less on par with most other feats.

Darkxarth
2010-07-29, 06:26 AM
Puh...puh...puh...puh-ker fays, for a penalty to enemy's Sense Motive checks against you equal to 1,5 your Wisdom / Intelligence penalty? Possibilities are endless!

Is that second one an "A Fish Called Wanda" reference of some sort? I suspect not, but other than that I got nothin'.

I don't get the reference with your second idea though.

It is a reference to Lady Gaga's "Poker Face," through which others cannot see. I think it is clever, though I would simply have called the idea "Poker Face."

ericgrau
2010-07-29, 11:33 AM
Only if the Str 28 (29 actually) guy is wearing no armour or light armour, since otherwise his speed is being reduced anyway.

But eh, the point is that carrying capacity ain't that big of a deal most of the time. These feats aren't meant to be huge boons, but moreso to be nifty and more or less on par with most other feats.
Oh I wasn't dissing it. I found it amusing for a str 9 wizard to hold 320 pounds without worry. Though ya I can see how most str 28 characters would already be slowed down anyway. So maybe it's more like str 20 for all practical wizardy purposes.

Theodoxus
2010-07-29, 11:53 AM
while I don't know what it would do... you totally need one called Mostly Harmless.

Mnemnosyne
2010-07-30, 01:15 AM
For games that start at level 1, I could see wanting Just a Henchman on a mage type because carrying capacity is the main reason I don't like to tank strength. Of course, by level 5ish you usually have an opportunity to get a bag of holding or a haversack or something, so using an actual feat on this wouldn't be worthwhile. But as someone who likes to haul around everything and the kitchen sink just in case, I like the concept.

ericgrau
2010-07-30, 10:51 AM
JUST A BILL
"on Capitol Hill..."
Prerequisites: Any non LAWful.
Benefit: Once per session you may propose a house rule you like, even in response to some event. Players then vote on it, including yourself. If it wins the majority and the DM doesn't veto it, the house rule goes into effect before the event you responded to (if any).

MOSTLY HARMLESS
Prerequisites: Must not carry a melee weapon, maximum unarmed damage must be 1 (for example, due to a strength penalty or a flaw)
Benefit: You gain the benefits of the improved unarmed strike feat as long as you meet the prerequisites of this feat. When you hit with an unarmed strike, roll on the table below for an additional effect:
01-20: You gouge one of the target's eyes. A one eyed creature gets a -1 on attack rolls and a -2 on skill checks that require vision. In addition, double all distance penalties. The eye heals after 1 day of rest, a DC 15 heal check and 1 hour, or 1 point of magical healing.
21-40: You kick the target in the shins and your damage is nonlethal. The target moves across land at half speed, gets a -4 to any related skill checks and loses his dex bonus to AC for 1d6 rounds. 1 point of magical healing or a DC 15 heal check (and a full round action) ends the effect.
41-60: You spit in the target's face and deal no damage. The target is blinded for 1d2 rounds. He may also end the blindness with a move action to wipe away the spittle.
61-80: You kiss the target on the lips or perform some other form of surprise affection and deal no (physical) damage. The target is stunned for 1 round.
81-99: You slap the target and your damage is nonlethal. The target must make a will save DC 10 + your hit dice (level) or take a 5 foot step away from you on its next turn, regardless of what is behind it. The 5 foot step prevents other move actions that involve moving a distance, as normal.
00: Through a series of highly implausible events determined by your DM, the target is serious harmed or killed. Perhaps your flailing arm knocks over a book which annoys a donkey that kicks a lantern which sets the area on fire which causes a herd of stampeding owlbears to panic.

ONLY MOSTLY DEAD
Prerequisites: Con 9 or lower
Benefit: Your hit points must reach a negative score equal to at least half of your maximum hit points before you die from hitpoint loss.

Thieves
2010-07-30, 01:14 PM
It is a reference to Lady Gaga's "Poker Face," through which others cannot see. I think it is clever, though I would simply have called the idea "Poker Face."

Yea, it's that. The reason I typed it as "puh..." is because it's written as if a 4-INT troll with a stutter sung that stuff. If you think it's a 4-INT troll with a stutter singing it anyway, remember it's also got an 18 in CHA and, if measured by WBL, it's far off into epic levels.

MOSTLY HARMLESS

You need some towel technique in there. Or tea-fu. Without these, it's just not... wholesome.

ericgrau
2010-07-30, 01:34 PM
Oh, was that a Hitchhikers Guide reference? I'm not sure where to go from here. Feel free to do a total rewrite or add on 1-2 more applications. In the 2nd case I'll edit them into my original post (with credit given) whenever I'm forum browsing.

Darkxarth
2010-07-30, 02:40 PM
Yea, it's that. The reason I typed it as "puh..." is because it's written as if a 4-INT troll with a stutter sung that stuff. If you think it's a 4-INT troll with a stutter singing it anyway, remember it's also got an 18 in CHA and, if measured by WBL, it's far off into epic levels.
Ah, that makes sense.

You need some towel technique in there. Or tea-fu. Without these, it's just not... wholesome.

Oh, was that a Hitchhikers Guide reference? I'm not sure where to go from here. Feel free to do a total rewrite or add on 1-2 more applications. In the 2nd case I'll edit them into my original post (with credit given) whenever I'm forum browsing.

I think the 00 result is suitably H2G2, but I agree that the others could use more Arcturian Awesome.

Morph Bark
2010-07-30, 04:06 PM
I'm planning on creating a few more as I thought up some during my session today, which will be up later.

The tea-fu comment reminds me of Riddick killing someone with a teacup...

Morph Bark
2010-07-31, 10:13 AM
Some new ones. Not really what people expected, but... eh. :smallwink:

I'M JUST SAIYAN
Prerequisites: BAB+6, Int and Cha 9 or lower
Benefit: You gain the ability to enter a state that is similar to a barbarian's rage as a full-round action once per day. Your hair turns golden and your eyes turn green and your body seems to bulk up and pulse with power. For 1 minute/level or until you fall unconscious, your Str, Dex and Con modifiers count as double.

JUST ICE
Prerequisites: Int 9 or lower, Good alignment
Benefit: You gain the ability to serve evildoers a cold glass of justice. Once per day per level you can use detect evil as a supernatural ability at will. If you determine a creature to be evil in this manner, you can spend a standard action to deal 1d6/2 levels points of cold damage to each evil creature in the area of your detect evil ability.

Evard
2010-07-31, 10:27 AM
How bout this...

I'm just a poor boy
Prerequisites: Con 9, Str 9, or Dex 9 (represents malnutrition) and starting gold < 5 gp

Yes you need no sympathies but mostly because your song puts the most revered bard to shame.

Benefits: 1/encounter you may use any bard ability of your level no matter what class you are. This can be anything from Inspire to shooting a spell. You may also take feats to increase your singing ability as a bard.

*special* you must wear spandex and grow a mustache

Morph Bark
2010-07-31, 11:14 AM
Heh, well it sure is a nice idea. I'd limit it to fascinate and later perhaps inspire competence though. And perhaps limit it to children, too.

Which makes me think that if one ever loses access to an antifeat they could just immediately choose another. (Not on-the-spot though, because spells could make that get all wacky, let's say you would have needed to have lost the day for at least a full day.)

Thieves
2010-07-31, 12:00 PM
How bout this...
(...)
*special* you must wear spandex and grow a mustache

Up until this moment I thought it's a The Devil Went Down To Georgia thing, but now I don't get the reference. The only one that fits is Sean Connery's appearance in this wacked sci-fi movie the name of which escapes me now, but the bard thing? Other than that, neat.

Oh, I thought it was actually where you got the name from ;d I don't have ideas for your feat - I find it mentally difficult for me to introduce random combat happenings into D&D, dunno why, I just can't think of a mechanical form - but I have another one:

Dentarthurdent
Prerequisites: Charisma 9 or lower, must not have taken the Leadership feat
Benefit: Creatures not from your home plane receive a -4 penalty on Sense Motive checks against you, and you receive a bonus to your Survival checks made while not on your home plane, equal to +2 for every plane-native individual accompanying you (maximum +10 for 5 persons). However, on your non-native plane you have to reroll every d20 roll of 2 and 3. If you fail the second roll, treat it as critical failure, because trouble like you.

Evard
2010-07-31, 12:35 PM
Freddie Mercury ... Queen ... Bohemian Rhapsody...

Watch a few Queen music videos and you will see him roll around in spandex... Its kinda scary really... Oh and Freddie had a mustache :P

Morph Bark
2010-07-31, 06:04 PM
Freddie Mercury ... Queen ... Bohemian Rhapsody...

Watch a few Queen music videos and you will see him roll around in spandex... Its kinda scary really... Oh and Freddie had a mustache :P

Oh, I know what you meant to reference. It's just that that seemed a little too silly with what I was trying to aim for. Still, kudos on the idea. :smallwink:

ericgrau
2010-07-31, 08:14 PM
Oh, I thought it was actually where you got the name from ;d I don't have ideas for your feat - I find it mentally difficult for me to introduce random combat happenings into D&D, dunno why, I just can't think of a mechanical form - but I have another one:

while I don't know what it would do... you totally need one called Mostly Harmless.

Doesn't have to be my feat. Anyone can take over and make a HG2G style feat.

imp_fireball
2010-07-31, 11:46 PM
Broken Cutie
Prerequisites: Wis 9 or lower, must be of the age category of 'young adult' or younger, must have failed three will saves within the past weak or have died and been ressurected

If you are ever panicked by a fear effect, you may instead enter a deathless frenzy (as the frenzied berserker's ability) for a number of rounds equal to half your charisma score (rounded down). After the deathless frenzy ends, all mind affecting ailments that you possess are eliminated.

Mostly Harmless
Prerequisites: 0 ranks in Intimidate, 'Non-combatant' trait, Strength and Constitution scores of 9 or less

Your demeanor is that of a small and narrow framed someone who is not harmful in any immediately threatening way. To the good alignned, you are an innocent bystander. To neutrals, you don't appear at all dangerous and to those of evil alignment, you aren't worth their time to consider you as an obstacle or threat.

You acquire an aura of 'calm emotions' of radius out to 10*half Cha score feet (rounded down). If you would detect as evil, you instead detect as another alignment at GM discretion. People who would be hostile towards you, treat their DC to become one step more friendly as 10 less when making an attitude adjustment roll towards your diplomacy check or as a reaction to any actions you take that might upset them.

Morph Bark
2010-08-03, 03:55 AM
New antifeat! Woo?

JUST ACKNOWLEDGEABLE
Benefit: You can use Knowledge skills that you have 0 ranks in untrained, but only if the DC of the check is 20 or less. However, you must also re-roll Bluff, Diplomacy, Gather Information and Intimidate checks and use the lower roll.

As for that "Mostly Harmless" idea of yours, Imp, I wouldn't have a feat require a trait, since traits aren't used as much as flaws and it undermines the concept of feats a bit as well (being that everyone could take them if they just picked their choices right to meet the prerequisites - whilst ICly Flaws, Traits and Race are the only incontrollable things for a character, though Reincarnate can aid in one of those).

Dairun Cates
2010-08-03, 12:15 PM
ONLY MOSTLY DEAD
Benefit: Your hit points must reach a negative score equal to at least half of your maximum hit points before you die.

You know. The immediate thing that comes to mind. Human Fighter 20 with improved toughness for every feat. With AVERAGE HP gains, you die at -237 damage. That's with nothing but base con and feats. No magic items spells, or anything.

Optimal? No. Funny? Yes.

Although, if you tweak the numbers, you might end up with something formidable. Especially since you're treating con as a dump and can then max out strength AND dex on said fighter. Point is. Someone could become a decent meat tank with that without any risk usually associated with tanking the front.

imp_fireball
2010-08-03, 03:24 PM
Warrior Inert
Prerequisite: Only mostly Dead, Hold the Line

When you are disabled and dying, prone or unconscious, your body becomes a massive obstacle that provides total cover to any creature of your size or less. Creatures that wish to move past you must climb over you, which provokes attacks of opportunity.

Additionally, allies can throw or wield your prone carcass as an improvised weapon - you do not take damage from things you collide with. Only the things you collide with take damage.

Morph Bark
2010-08-03, 05:11 PM
You know. The immediate thing that comes to mind. Human Fighter 20 with improved toughness for every feat. With AVERAGE HP gains, you die at -237 damage. That's with nothing but base con and feats. No magic items spells, or anything.

Optimal? No. Funny? Yes.

Improved Toughness can only be taken once though. Taken once and the rest Toughness would work, though the Fighter would be otherwise pretty useless.

A Barbarian of that sort though? That'd work, though he'd need ways to extend his rage or otherwise end encounters quickly.

ericgrau
2010-08-03, 05:46 PM
It's funnier when combined with diehard. Bear in mind you are still disabled, limiting you to either a move or a standard each round. And anything strenuous makes you lose 1 HP.

Morph Bark
2010-08-03, 05:54 PM
It's funnier when combined with diehard. Bear in mind you are still disabled, limiting you to either a move or a standard each round. And anything strenuous makes you lose 1 HP.

What's funnier is that you are auto-stabilized at -1 to -9 by RAW, so this feat would make it so that if you fell from 0 or higher to -10 or lower you wouldn't auto-stabilize. :smallamused:

Sinfonian
2010-08-05, 05:14 PM
ONLY MOSTLY DEAD
Benefit: Your hit points must reach a negative score equal to at least half of your maximum hit points before you die.

As written, it would seem that this Anti-feat would provide a much greater benefit than originally imagined, as it places an additional condition on death. By a certain interpretation of this, it would provide protection against death effects. For example, the only way to die to Finger of Death would be to pass the saving throw and take enough damage to put you below the new threshold.

Morph Bark
2010-08-06, 06:44 PM
I just came up with this idea, and wonder if it would actually be balanced... didn't really have that with the others so far, but eh.

JUST AWESOME
Prerequisites: Dex 9 or lower, Con 9 or lower, Wis 9 or lower, base Fort save +2, base Ref save +2, base Will save +2
Benefit: Before rolling a saving throw, you can choose to automatically succeed it, as if you rolled a natural 20. You can do this once per day for each save (Fort, Ref and Will).

Shatteredtower
2010-08-10, 06:24 AM
JUST KIDDING
Prerequisites: Cha 9 or lower, cannot possess ranks in Bluff
Benefit: You can opt to take 10 on an Intelligence or Wisdom check instead of the usual mechanic for attempting a Bluff check. You can take 10 on this check even when rushed or threatened. Targets of this check apply your Charisma penalty to their Sense Motive checks.

Take a -5 penalty on this check when it is used more than once in an encounter.

awesomessake
2010-08-29, 11:30 PM
I'm Just A Prodigy
Prerequisites: Level 1, Int 9 or lower
Benefit: Select one skill that your class posseses, and at each level you gain an additional rank in that skill. But you must subtract a rank from another skill each level.