PDA

View Full Version : Reworking the Adept (for E6)

zakkain
2010-07-20, 03:54 AM
I'm putting together a low-magic E6 campaign, where the only allowed spellcasting classes will be the Warlock and the Adept. My goal is to modify the adept to give it some more capability since it is the only true spellcaster, and allow the player to customize the adept to fit either the "cleric" or "druid" archetype. I've never really built a class before so any help will be greatly appreciated.

E6 Class: Adept

Hit Die: d6

Class Skills: Concentration, Craft, Handle Animal, Heal, Knowledge (nature, religion, history, arcana, the planes), Profession, Spellcraft, Survival

Skill Points: 4 + INT (x4 at 1st level)

Class Features

Weapon & Armor Proficiency: All simple weapons, no armor or shields

Adept Focus: At level 1, an Adept chooses one spiritual focus they will manifest as their power grows.
Channel Divinity: An Adept gains the Turn Undead feature (as cleric), and access to the Healing domain with one extra spell slot per level for that domain
Nature Devotion: An Adept gains one use of Wild Shape (as druid) at level 6, and access to the Plant domain, with one extra spell slot per level for that domain

Spells: An Adept casts divine spells which are drawn from the adept spell list (see below). An adept may cast any spell he knows without preparing it ahead of time, as a sorcerer. To cast a spell, an adept must have a Wisdom score equal to at least 10 + the spell level. The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against an adept’s spell is 10 + the spell level + the adept’s Charisma modifier. Like other spellcasters, an adept can cast only a certain number of spells of each spell level per day. In addition, she receives bonus spells per day if she has a high Wisdom score. The table's format is: Spells Per Day (Spells Known).

Brew Potion: The adept gains Brew Potion as a bonus feat at 3rd level

Animal Companion:: At second level, an Adept gains an animal companion, as a druid.

{table=head]Level|
BAB|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|0|1|2|3

1st|
+0|
+0|
+0|
+2|Adept Focus|4(4)|2(2)| | |

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+3|
Animal Companion|5(5)|3(2)| | |

3rd|
+1|
+1|
+1|
+3|Brew Potion|5(5)|4(3)| | |

4th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+3|--|5(6)|5(3)|2(1)| |

5th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4|--|5(6)|5(4)|3(2)|

6th|
+3|
+2|
+2|
+5|--|5(7)|5(4)|4(2)|1(2)[/table]

Spell List:

Orisons: Create Water, Cure Minor Wounds, Daze, Detect Poison, Electric Jolt, Purify Food & Drink, Resistance, Touch of Fatigue

1st Level: Bless, Cause Fear, Command, CLW, Endure Elements, Healthful Rest, Obscuring Mist, Omen of Peril, Produce Flame, Protection from Good/Evil, Sandblast, Sleep, Shield of Faith, Shillelagh, Snake’s Swiftness, Winged Watcher, Winter Chill

2nd Level: Aid, Animal Messenger, Barkskin, Bear’s Endurance, Bull’s Strength, Cat’s Grace, Creeping Cold, Darkness, Delay Poison, Gust of Wind, Lesser Restoration, Resist Energy, See Invisibility, Splinterbolt, Web

3rd Level: Blindness/Deafness, Call Lightning, Continual Flame, Daylight, Deeper Darkness, Heatstroke, Neutralize Poison, Poison, Prayer, Remove Disease, Sleet Storm, Speak With Dead, Water Breathing, Wind Wall

I've made a point of not putting any really ridiculous spells on the list, like teleport, fly etc, to keep the craziness down. I've left out spells like Light as a cantrip too, as I want to keep the flavor of the game very non-magical, and nothing spoils that like not needing to carry torches.

Am I missing anything huge? Is this wildly unbalanced? Any suggestions as to spells to put on the list, or how to improve the Adept Focus ability?

I've also been thinking about not having a Spells Known, and letting the adept cast any spell on their list spontaneously. Is that way too powerful?