PDA

View Full Version : Help me with a spell I'm creating?

Zach J.
2010-07-20, 01:09 PM
I'm trying to design a spell for my mage in the D&D game I'm playing in, but I've never done anything like this so I was looking for help. Here's what I have so far:

Legacy of the Silverswords

Evocation

Level:
Components: V, S
Casting Time:
Range: Touch
Target: One melee weapon touched
Duration: 1 round/ level
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

This spell lets a melee weapon act as a +1 Silvered weapon of Disrupting. This spell supersedes any lesser enchantments on the weapon.

Edit: The creator of the spell is an elf so I'm trying to make the spell a bit more elf-y. I was thinking that it might only affect masterwork weapons created by moonlight. Do you think that's too much?

Milskidasith
2010-07-20, 01:24 PM
So... it's exactly like the spell Disrupting Weapon, except it also gives the weapon a +1 it probably already has (fifth level spell) and strips away all the other enhancements?

This doesn't even need to be a spell at all, frankly. Besides the silvered part, it doesn't do anything basic (far under) WBL appropriate gear + Disrupting Weapon (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/disruptingweapon.htm) does besides remove your enhancements.

If you meant a disruption weapon, then the spell is pretty weak and could probably safely be a level 2 spell; a bit low, but since it scales horribly because you lose all other enhancements, not super amazing.

EDIT: Fluff requirements on spells are very, very pointless.

Zach J.
2010-07-20, 01:26 PM
Ah, I'm sorry I completely forgot about the Disrupting Weapon spell. Hmm, well I'm back to square one it seems.

Temotei
2010-07-20, 01:28 PM
I was thinking that it might only affect masterwork weapons created by moonlight.

Yeah, don't do that.

DracoDei
2010-07-20, 02:16 PM
Fluff requirements are good... at least for fluff.

AugustNights
2010-07-20, 03:16 PM
The Masterwork Sword Made by the Moonlight bit, could be a Spell Focus for the spell. (Similar to the 'A tiny lens of ruby or sapphire set in a small golden loop. The gemstone must be worth at least 1,500 gp. ' of Analyze Dweomer (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/analyzedweomer.htm)). As long as you add a basic price (Say 365 gp or so) for the focus, it isn't that much trouble. For an Arcane spell caster I'd say you're spell is level 5, as that it's mildly better than disrupting weapon, but it's an arcane spell.

Also, I'd make it a Transmutation Spell, it's not terribly evocative.

Milskidasith
2010-07-20, 03:34 PM
The Masterwork Sword Made by the Moonlight bit, could be a Spell Focus for the spell. (Similar to the 'A tiny lens of ruby or sapphire set in a small golden loop. The gemstone must be worth at least 1,500 gp. ' of Analyze Dweomer (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/analyzedweomer.htm)). As long as you add a basic price (Say 365 gp or so) for the focus, it isn't that much trouble. For an Arcane spell caster I'd say you're spell is level 5, as that it's mildly better than disrupting weapon, but it's an arcane spell.

Also, I'd make it a Transmutation Spell, it's not terribly evocative.

Disrupting weapons are only obtained with a level 5 spell. You are thinking of a disruption weapon.

Prime32
2010-07-21, 04:50 AM
What about a variant of holy sword (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/holySword.htm)?

Moonwrought Blade
Evocation [Light]
Level: Pal 4
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Target: Melee weapon touched
Duration: 1 round/level

This spell allows you to channel lunar power into any longsword, rapier, longbow or shortbow. The weapon acts as a +5 undead bane weapon (+7 weapon and extra 2d6 damage against undead) which overcomes damage reduction as a silver weapon. It also emits light and magic circle against undead effects (as magic circle against evil, but affects undead creatures instead of evil ones). If the magic circle ends, the weapon creates a new one on your turn as a free action. The spell is automatically canceled 1 round after the weapon leaves your hand. You cannot have more than one moonwrought blade at a time.

If this spell is cast on a magic weapon, the powers of the spell supersede any that the weapon normally has, rendering the normal enhancement bonus and powers of the weapon inoperative for the duration of the spell. This spell is not cumulative with bless weapon or any other spell that might modify the weapon in any way.

This spell does not work on artifacts.

Or if it's for a wizard:

Moonwrought Blade
Evocation [Light]
Level: Wiz/Sor 6
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Target: Melee weapon touched
Duration: 1 round/level

This spell allows you to channel lunar power into any longsword, rapier, longbow or shortbow. The weapon acts as a +5 undead bane weapon (+7 weapon and extra 2d6 damage against undead) which emits a light effect and overcomes damage reduction as a silver weapon. You may wield the weapon as if you had a BAB equal to your character level. The spell is automatically canceled 1 round after the weapon leaves your hand. You cannot have more than one moonwrought blade at a time.

If this spell is cast on a magic weapon, the powers of the spell supersede any that the weapon normally has, rendering the normal enhancement bonus and powers of the weapon inoperative for the duration of the spell. This spell is not cumulative with bless weapon or any other spell that might modify the weapon in any way.

This spell does not work on artifacts.

Material component: A pinch of silver dust.

AugustNights
2010-07-21, 03:26 PM
Disrupting weapons are only obtained with a level 5 spell. You are thinking of a disruption weapon.

I compared it to the level 5 cleric spell 'Disrupting Weapon', which is a Transmutation spell. Unless the desired effect is to have a Disruption weapon, in which case I'd say 3rd level arcane spell, tops, as that the will save has nothing to do with the caster.

ericgrau
2010-07-21, 04:10 PM
I'd still make it a cleric/paladin spell, and then it's too similar to the existing spell. I'd try something else. A more wizard thing to do would be to deal bonus damage to the undead, make it flee, paralyze it, or even control the undead.

For example you could try a spell that targets only a silver masterwork weapon created by moonlight (which you buy and carry around, so it's no big deal), and grants it one of the above effects. All except damage should give a save DC equal to the spell save DC. It could be transmutation or necromancy. Maybe level 4. Even though the wielder will lose the damage from his normal magic weapon, a save not per round (already good) but per attack is very powerful, so I'd put in some kind of limit on its power. For example the cleric spell won't affect undead with HD above the cleric's level. Since HD scales faster than CR, that means the cleric spell only works on piddly undead.