PDA

View Full Version : "Aging Decay Touch" ability - [3.5/PF] PEACH [Updated]

Hurlbut
2010-07-21, 01:54 AM
I need your help figuring out how much of an increase to the CR if this is added as an at will ability to a creature (looking at a skeletal champion)
Edited: Now figuring it as a CR +1 ability.

Aging Decay Touch [UPDATED!]
Melee Touch
Casting: Standard Action
Duration: Instaneous
Target: Living creature touched
Saving Throw: Fortitude negates
Spell Resistance: Yes

A successful melee touch attack inflict 1 point of Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution.

Assuming target is in a Young Age category. The damage is cumulative. The first point cause the target to age to Middle category. The second point cause it to age to Old age category. The third point of ability damage from this spell cause it to age to Venulerable age category. The total sum of the points cannot be greater than 3 points of attribute damage and cannot reduce the affected score below a 1. Further melee touch attacks cause 5d6 points of damage. The aging effect is instantaneous.
The physical attribute penalties of Age categories apply, the mental attribute bonuses does not.

As the target heal naturally or by spells that restore ability damages, he gradually revert back to his normal age category.

Lord Vukodlak
2010-07-21, 02:06 AM
Damage can be cured with restoration, but an curse that ages you would require remove curse/break enchantment or powerful healing magic.

My suggestion is to simply the ability, it flat out advances them an age category and it functions as a curse. If their hit multiple times they get older and older until they reach venerable.

You could take it a step further and just have the curse instantly advance them to venerable.

Anyway +1 CR at the most its not a very significant ability as you've written it. [or even as I wrote it].

Hurlbut
2010-07-21, 02:22 AM
Well as I written it take at least four successful attacks (and failed fortitude saves likewise) to advance the target to vulnerable age category. As you write, just three. I was going for the "impending doom" of Age, an aspect of Death.

Oh, the aging itself is temporary. As the target heal normally the ability damage, he slowly revert back to his own age (or instantly revert back when he get hit with a Restoration :smalltongue:).

UndeadCleric
2010-07-21, 03:49 AM
If performed on a fighter, that ability could be harmful but I know people (wizards in particular) who choose to be aged before they begin. So as long as you keep it the way it heal, I'd say +1 LA.

Hurlbut
2010-07-21, 10:49 AM
Hm, I can put in a clause that the rapid aging isn't enough to "expand" their mind.

UndeadCleric
2010-07-21, 02:33 PM
That actually makes a lot of sense because the mental gain from age is supposed to be about the knowledge you have gained from living those years. The aging itself isnt what let you gain the knowledge.

Does the aging happen instantaneously, in a round (6 seconds), or what?

Hurlbut
2010-07-21, 03:58 PM
It is instantaneous :)

Rapid aging caused the ability damage points above along with the physical penalty of growing older for your body :smallbiggrin:

I confess that this characer Baraggan Luisenbarn (http://bleach.wikia.com/wiki/Baraggan_Luisenbarn) along with the Chronomancy article of Dragon #350 are the base for the ability :smallsmile:

Temotei
2010-07-21, 05:41 PM
It is instantaneous :)

I find this humorous. :smallamused:

Lalalala...walking in a meadow...
Touch! *runs away*
*ages from 15 years old to 85 years old instantly*
...huh?

Hurlbut
2010-07-21, 05:44 PM
Actually that would take three touch attacks heh. :smallbiggrin:

Hurlbut
2010-07-22, 06:32 PM
Just occurred to me. If the target is still in Vulnerable Age category and he take enough damage from Aging Decay Touch that he died from it, it would count as "dying from old age". There are several resurrection spells that won't work if the target had died of old age right?