PDA

View Full Version : Psionic Warlock Base Class[3.5, PEACH]

Dragon Elite
2010-07-21, 11:53 AM
Psionic Warlock

d6 HD
Class Skills:
Bluff, Concentration, Craft, Disguise, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge(Psionics), Knowledge (The Planes), Knowledge (Religion), Profession, Sense Motive, Psicraft, Use Psionic Device.
{table=head]Level | BAB | Fort | Ref | Will | PPs | Special | Invocations Known
1st | +0 | +0 | +0 | +2 | 4 | Psychic Blast 1d6, Least Invocations | 1
2nd | +1 | +0 | +0 | +3 | 8 | Detect Psionics | 2
3rd | +2 | +1 | +1 | +3 | 12 | Psychic Blast 2d6,| 2
4th | +3 | +1 | +1 | +4 | 16 | Deceive item | 3
5th | +3 | +1 | +1 | +4 | 20 | Psychic Blast 3d6| 3
6th | +4 | +2 | +2 | +5 | 24 | Lesser invocations | 4
7th | +5 | +2 | +2 | +5 | 28 | Psychic Blast 4d6 | 4
8th | +6/+1 | +2 | +2 | +6 | 32 | Psychic Regeneration 1 | 4
9th | +6/+1 | +3 | +3 | +7 | 36 | Psychic Blast 5d6 | 5
10th | +7/+2 | +3 | +3 | +7 | 40 | Vicious Blast 1d6| 5
11th | +8/+3 | +3 | +3 | +7 | 44 | Psychic Blast 6d6 | 5
12th | +9/+4 | +4 | +4 | +8 | 48 | Imbue Item,Greater Invocations | 6
13th | +9/+4 | +4 | +4 | +8 | 52 | Psychic Blast 7d6 | 6
14th | +10/+5 | +4 | +4 | +9 | 56 | DR 2/Cold iron | 6
15th | +11/+6/+1 | +5 | +5 | +9 | 60 | Psychic Blast 8d6, Vicious Blast 2d6| 8
16th | +12/+7/+2 | +5 | +5 | +10 | 64 | Dark Invocations | 7
17th | +12/+7/+2 | +5 | +5 | +10 | 68 | Psychic Blast 9d6 | 7
18th | +13/+8/+3 | +6 | +6 | +11 | 72 | DR 3/ cold iron | 8
19th | +14/+9/+4 | +6 | +6 | +11 | 76 | Psychic Blast 10d6 | 8
20th | +15/+10/+5 | +6 | +6 | +12 | 80 | Vicious Blast 3d6, Psychic Regeneration 5 | 9 [/table]

Class abilities:

Psychic Blast
The Psychic blast is the fist ability a Psionic Warlock learns. It is a ray and ranged touch attack with a range of 60 feet. it is the equivalent of a spell of one half the the warlocks level (rounded down) With a minimum of 1st and a maximum of 9th level.

Invocations
At first level, a psionic warlock learns a least invocation. Invocations take a standard action that provokes AoOs's. Invocations can also be suppressed like normal powers. the saving throw for a invocation is 10+the equivalent power level+the psionic warlock's Charisma modifier. When learning a new invocation, the psionic warlock can choose any of the types mentioned on the table above. See below for list.

Detect Psionics
At second level, a Psionic Warlock can Detect Psionics, as the power, at will. His manifester level is equal to his Levels of Psionic Warlock.

Deceive Item
Psionic Warlocks of level 4 or higher can take 10 on UMD checks, even when they are threatened.

Psychic Regeneration
Once per day, a Psionic warlock of 8th level or higher, he can enter a state for 2 minutes. Each turn during this, he chooses whether to regenerate 1 hitpoint or 1 Power Point. This number increases to 5 at level 20.

Vicious Blast 1d6
A warlock of level 10 or higher can spend 4 power points to increase their psionic blast by 1d6. At 15th level they can spend 6 power points for an additional 2d6. At level 20 they can spend 8 power points to increase the damage by 3d6

Imbue Item
A Psionic Warlock can make psionic items, even if they do not know the powers required. There is a DC 15+power level UPD to make for every power they do not know. Then, they can craft normally.

Invocations
The psionic Warlock gets to choose from the following lists of invocations:

Blast Shape

Least:Maximium PP: 5
Psychic Spear: Increases range to 200 feet+25 ft per power point
Psychic Touch: Touch attack channels psychic blast+3 damage per power point
Lesser:Maximium PP: 8
Psychic Chain: Hits one target, and additional targets within 30 ft for half damage+ 1 damage to all secondary per power point
Quick Blast: As a swift action, use an psychic blast at half the number of d6's you usually roll (+3 damage per power point)
Greater Maximium PP: 11
Psychic Cone: Cone 20 ft long+5 ft per power point
DarkMaximium PP: 15
Psychic Doom: Blasts all enemies within 20 ft+ 5 ft per 2 power points. Reflex half
Dark Blast: Target treats all creatures as 20% concealed for the next 1d4+1 per 2 power points turns. Will save negates.
Psychic Essence

Least:
Chilling Blast: Target gets -2 to Dexterity for 1 turn. Damage is cold typed.
Frightful Blast: Target must make a Will save or become shaken.
Lesser:
Brimstone Blast: Fire Damage. 1 extra damage per die
Hellrime Blast: Cold Damage. Target is fatigued next turn.
Greater
Bewitching Blast: Target makes will save or run away from you for 1 turn.
Repelling Blast: Target must make Reflex save or be knocked back 1d6x5 feet
Dark
Utterdark Blast:Target must make a Fortitude saving throw or gain two negative levels.

Other

Least
Control: Either Control flames, light or objects, pick whenever you activate this invocation.
See in the Dark: The power Psionic Darkvision at will
Unlock: The power Knock at will
Lock:The power Psionic lock at will
Attended: The power Far Hand at will
Lesser
Charm:The power Psionic Charm at will
Psionic Flight:Gain a 20 ft fly speed with good maneuverability
Walk Unseen: You become invisible
The Dead Walk: As the spell animate undead
Greater
Energy wall:Conjure a Wall of energy as the power. Half the damage dealt by it is healable only by natural healing.
Crystal Swarm: Manifest the power Swarm of Crystals
Shield:Manifest Thought Shield
Dark
Path of Shadow: Heal 1 HP per minute spent in shadow
Dark Enervation: Total concealment in dark areas, -2 Str to anyone within 5 ft of you.

Tell me what you think.

Hyooz
2010-07-21, 02:37 PM
It IS a direct power up of the classic warlock. Depending on the power level you want for it, that could be fine or problematic.

It will be a fair deal more powerful. It doesn't get a huge amount of powers known, but coupled with his invocations, there's some potential there.

Dragon Elite
2010-07-21, 02:45 PM
Cool. Thank you for you evaluation.

Bushidough
2010-07-21, 02:49 PM
I think this needs revising:

Vicious Blast 1d6
A warlock of level 10 or higher can spend 2 power points to increase their psionic blast by 1d6. They can spend 8 power points to increase the damage by 3d6

It reads that you can always spend the 8 pp to do the 3d6 blast, which is different from the table.

Also why 2 and 8, shouldn't it be 4 and 8?

No 2d6 at 15th for 6?

I also think the Psychic Regeneration progression is pretty weird, maybe 3 at 14th?

Imbue Item
A Psionic Warlock can make any psionic item. It is a DC 15+spell level UMD to make.

Spell level? :smalltongue:

Powers
The psionic Warlock gets to choose from the Shaper, Nomad, and Telepath Discipline powers. They can gain any spell up half their level +1 (round down)

Again, spell level? (picky I know but there is a major difference!)

Dragon Elite
2010-07-21, 02:57 PM
Great idea, adding 15th level vicious blast.

Bushidough
2010-07-21, 03:00 PM
Wow, quick!

I've edited that post several times btw, so don't know if you caught it all.

I've no idea on the actual power level of the class, just thought I'd point out the stuff that seemed odd :smallsmile:

Dragon Elite
2010-07-21, 03:03 PM
And the other stuff too.
Thanks. I love nitpicking others too.

Morph Bark
2010-07-21, 03:56 PM
Y'know, not to be a downer or anything, but at these classes that combine two different magic systems I always wonder: might it not be better as a Prestige Class? :smallconfused:

Dragon Elite
2010-07-21, 04:06 PM
Very true. I like this better than a PrC though.

Morph Bark
2010-07-21, 04:22 PM
Well at first I thought a Psionic version of the Warlock, which is arcane, would be pretty swell. I think you could pull it off without him having psionic powers though. You could have him be able to augment his eldritch blast in a way like the Lurk can augment his sneak attack, so you could make Vicious Blast. You could allow him to augment his invocations with power points too, rather than use psionic powers. Add in some custom psionic invocations and you'd be a good way ahead!

Bushidough
2010-07-21, 04:51 PM
You've missed these two bits:

I also think the Psychic Regeneration progression is pretty weird, maybe 3 at 14th?

Imbue Item
A Psionic Warlock can make any psionic item. It is a DC 15+spell level UMD to make.

Spell level? :smalltongue:

Also the table lacks a number in the "Invocations known" column at 8th level (presumably a 5)

Dragon Elite
2010-07-21, 05:29 PM
Thanks, I am changing that and adding invocations.

Morph Bark
2010-07-21, 05:38 PM
...wait.

Looking at Imbue Item, this class suddenly is better than the Artificer in terms of crafting! Suddenly he can make any psionic item like BAM!

Seriously though, it's worded very badly and not like the Warlock's Imbue Item, which says that they can craft items as if they knew the appropriate spells.

demidracolich
2010-07-21, 06:06 PM
Um, have you ever taken a look at the mindscourge? Its basically a psionic warlock. http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131476

Dragon Elite
2010-07-21, 06:14 PM
I have never seen the mindscourge. Oops. Oh well.

Siosilvar
2010-07-21, 09:13 PM
...and how do you intend Vicious Blast to be useful without a PP pool?

imp_fireball
2010-07-21, 09:26 PM
The mind scourge doesn't augment their blasts though.

EDIT: Or have powers.
----

To balance this out, I suggest slightly less invocations per level (maybe 8 or so at 20th; you don't have to remove any from your invocations list). Or, you can increase it to 9 or 10 and say that they can only take advantage of their invocations while psionically focused.

EDIT: Or give them even less invocations in return for some powers. Alternatively, you could make a PRC to supplement them.

It could have access to both warlock spells and psionic powers - using the levels in psionic warlock as manifester levels along with levels in the PRC; the same applies for levels in warlock and levels in the PRC for caster levels. Things from the psionic warlock and warlock could be prerequisites. :smalltongue:

Also, psionic blast could max out 8d6 and then become augmentable by up to about 5d6 or 6d6. Also, say that they have wild talent at first level (but without the bonus power points that the exact listing says they get) - they're supposed to be psychic, right? So may as well make them eligible for psionic feats and other things that wild talent grants. If they want bonus power points, they could take hidden talent - or you could say that they are permitted to take wild talent again and gain only the bonus power points and no other benefits (the secondary benefits shouldn't stack, even if you or I can't imagine how they would; may as well say it anyway).

Normally, you aren't permitted to take wild talent more than once, but this would be an exception (which you should mention).

Finally, I suggest coming up with good names besides 'psionic blast' or 'psionic warlock'.

And as for fluff, say how it corresponds to the mind scourge (the mind scourge being more like a wilder, and maybe this one actually tapping into eldritch horrors with the aid of their psionic aptitude to acquire invocations rather then through magic like the warlock or through innate psychic affinity like the mindscourge). :smallsmile:

Psionic Warlocks of level 4 or higher can take 10 on UMD checks, even when they are threatened.

How about - while psionically focused, psionic warlocks of 4th level or higher can take 10 on Use Psionic Device and Use Magic Device checks, even when threatened. If they expend their psionic focus, they can take 15 on either of these checks (choose one).

Imbue Item

A psionic warlock can make any psionic item as the 'craft universal item' feat.

NOTE: Giving them scribe tattoo, craft psicrown, etc. as well, seems a little extreme. Also, it should duplicate the feat and the DC (whatever check; psicraft maybe? I don't know, I have to check) as such. If you want to do things like speed up the time it takes to craft an item or reduce or eliminate the XP/GP costs, maybe say that they have to go without a portion of their power point pool for a week? Just suggestions.

----
Balance wise, this shouldn't be any better than the warlock with the exception that it could fix the warlock's flaws (whatever they are, I've never truly looked at a warlock or played one).

Prime32
2010-07-22, 07:09 AM
I would suggest changing psychic blast to this:

Psychic Blast (Ps): At 1st-level a warlock gains crystal shard (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/crystalShard.htm) as a psi-like ability at will, with a manifester level equal to half his character level.
Note that the increasing level of the original warlock's eldritch blast was an error - it was supposed to stay at 1st so you could apply feats like Maximise SLA to it. This was fixed by the errata.

Invocations:

Least
Energy Blast: Use energy ray instead of crystal shard
etc. - the others can be changed to fit powers like energy cone.

Make Vicious Blast into an ability which allows them to Overchannel their psi-like abilities.

EDIT: Heck, the invocations could be generalised into something similar to [Host] feats.

AustontheGreat1
2010-07-22, 08:07 AM
You might want to look at this.

Mindscourge (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131476)

Dragon Elite
2010-07-22, 08:16 AM

Someone already linked, but these guys get to overchannel their Psychic Blast and get Psychic regenration.

Morph Bark
2010-07-22, 08:18 AM
Note that the increasing level of the original warlock's eldritch blast was an error - it was supposed to stay at 1st so you could apply feats like Maximise SLA to it. This was fixed by the errata.

Oh wow, that changes so much. Still confused about some things though. I guess I should find out where the Warlock errata are.

EDIT: Heck, the invocations could be generalised into something similar to [Host] feats.

What are [Host] feats? :smallconfused:

*coughs and points at demidracolich's post*

Prime32
2010-07-22, 08:53 AM
What are [Host] feats? :smallconfused:Feats from Complete Psionic. Each feat is associated with two 1st-level psionic powers - you can use one of them 1/day as a PLA with a manifester level equal to half your character level. The flavour is that you have a psionic entity living in your soul.

There's no real reason to take them other than ML-based prereqs. Having one qualifies you for some feats like Gestalt Anchor, but kalashtar qualify for those too.

And like most of the stuff in CP ("Orc Double-Axe Mind Blade" feat anyone?), there's about a dozen of them when they could have had one feat which said "choose two 1st-level psionic powers". :smallannoyed: