PDA

View Full Version : Help with battle maps in Google Docs

nefele
2010-07-24, 04:04 PM
So, I've been fooling around with Google Docs, Spreadsheets in particular, and I'm trying to learn how to make decent battle maps.

They will be used with PbP and PvP mostly, so that players can edit their new position on the map every round (if visible, of course) and make everyone's life very very easier.

This is my first try (http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0As43YDXYJ8pFdHpIRUxYS0FQMkxWLXRfSXpCLWkwU Gc&hl=en&authkey=COL2xq0D) (options set so that anyone with the link can view and edit it). So first of all, does it look good? Do you think it's easy to read and use?

Second, I had to adjust the width of every column manually, which means the scale is not quite accurate. Also, it's a hassle, and I intend to make a lot of maps. I couldn't find a way to simply define column width (and row height, presumably), so that the squares will be completely, well, square. Does anyone now how, if at all, I can do this?

Any other sort of feedback is of course welcome. If you can think of a way to make it better, please let me know.
Thanks. :)

aivanther
2010-07-24, 06:16 PM
Trying setting it up in Microsoft word then uploading and converting it maybe? I don't know, I don't use google documents that much.

Sc00by
2010-07-24, 06:41 PM
Second, I had to adjust the width of every column manually, which means the scale is not quite accurate. Also, it's a hassle, and I intend to make a lot of maps. I couldn't find a way to simply define column width (and row height, presumably), so that the squares will be completely, well, square. Does anyone now how, if at all, I can do this?

In older versions of Excel (and probably the new one too but I haven't used that) if you select a range of rows (or columns) and resize one of them they all jump to the same size.
I'm also pretty sure that you can set cell dimensions under cells - properties, but certainly the 1st one.

CTRL+A (that is pressing the CTRL and A buttons at the same time) will select the whole sheet so you can set every cell to the same size. I don't have access to Excel atm so I can't look at what you've done to further help though, sorry.

KerlanRayne
2010-07-24, 07:42 PM
Looks really good to me. Lot's of things going on there but still pretty easy to understand. As for sizing the rows and columns you just right click on the letters or numbers that label each one. You can also select multiple columns or rows and change the size of all of them at once. I just tried it on yours and it works. I changed them all to 17.

KerlanRayne

nefele
2010-07-25, 01:47 PM
That's it!

Thanks to both of you, I managed to fix cell height and width, and more maps are on the way.

Your help was invaluable. :)