PDA

View Full Version : Who here plays a (no-recurring fee) MMO? Who wants to? (GW push)

theMycon
2010-07-24, 09:14 PM
Hey, all

My boyfriend and me want more people to join our guild, on Guild Wars. We (our gaming group) are pretty much the perfect candidates, since we're already known nerds who like to play games.

The pros:
*No recurring fee- buy a campaign, and it's yours. And there's always some sort of sale at the oneline store.
*Relatively low level-cap: For any campaign except the original, it's reasonable to reach the level cap in a day. You still can get wildly more powerful (since you can get flat-out-better skills & equipment), but you won't spend time grinding for XP or loot.
*Essentially free rebuilds: Decide you don't like the skills you got, or that another attribute would really be more useful? As long as you're in a town, you can tweak your stats to your choosing. Changing your backup class is a bit of a pain (takes a quest and can only be done in 1 town per campaign), but it's easy enough.
*An extant story: It isn't amazing, but it lets you know there's a goal, lets you know what it is and how to get there, and occasionally gives a sense of urgency. From a mechanical standpoint, it gives you enough experience/money/equipment to get by, too. Also, only the original campaign would take more than, say 30 hours of devoted play for a story-only character. And, yes, you can port characters between campaigns freely.
*Only as MMO as you like: You can form a party of NPCs, including (in the latest two campaigns) ones you build/level/equip yourself from the ground up. Everything is instanced, so you only deal with random folk in towns. Real folk are almost always more useful
*PvX Wiki. You have no idea how useful "a reference for community vetted great builds" can be until you try making a party yourself.
*Free trial- no credit card info needed. So you can tell for yourself if it's worth a shot.

Also, of course, you'll have our support. The boy seems to know everything about it and can power your way through trouble spots. I've at least got two "power parties" that do a good job of buffing allies and debuffing enemies.

You can buy the first three campaigns for twenty nine dollars (total) at a retail store, and the extra expansion for another twenty. We have probably spent fifty dollars, about the price of any other video game, and nothing more, but had HOURS of entertainment from the game.
The official Website (http://www.ncsoft.com/en/guild-wars/)

If you have any questions, just ask.
Thank you,
TheMycon

Domochevsky
2010-07-24, 09:48 PM
You may want to indicate in the topic that this is a Guild Wars ad. :smallwink:

Deme
2010-07-24, 10:54 PM
Yeah, because otherwise, I was going to turn it into a The Endless Forest ad.

theMycon
2010-07-25, 09:44 AM
Fair enough. Edit done.

Tydude
2010-07-26, 07:34 AM
This post has made me want to start playing again....

theMycon
2010-07-26, 11:45 PM
Fantastic! I've almost made some progress.

What, with our beyond-all-reason resources, will push you from "want" to "do"?

Foeofthelance
2010-07-26, 11:56 PM
I really just need plyers to get back into the game. Send me an invite at Valor Singus and we'll talk.

Freylorn
2010-07-27, 07:14 PM
Every time I get out, they keep sucking me back in!

You may want to provide a character name or two so we interested parties can get in touch with you :smallbiggrin:

I'd be happy to join, although I'm fairly inconsistent in my playing. It'd be nice to do something other than Alliance Battle, though. PvE man at heart.

Oh, whilst I think of it - is the guild Luxon or Kurzick?

theMycon
2010-07-27, 08:11 PM
I usually go by "Sven T Uncommon" and the guild leader usually goes by "Of the Otori." It's a Kurzick guild.

We'll be on later tonight, and send an invite out to you, FoeoftheLance.

NecroRebel
2010-07-27, 08:36 PM
Well, I have been complaining that I've been bored recently, and it's only going to get worse next week... So I may be interested in starting up GW again.

You implied that you yourself are less experienced. Are you perchance going through one of the campaigns as a guild group? That'd be something I'd be greatly interested in; the last few times I've restarted the game, I've gotten bored due to always having difficulty getting a team of competent individuals together. Also, roughly when would I be able to expect people online?

I'm not sure what characters I've got at the moment. I had a level 20 of every profession, but I remember that I had deleted and restarted some or all of them, and since it's been more than a year since I last played I don't remember where they're at.

deuxhero
2010-07-27, 08:42 PM
I'm waititng to see peoples opionons on the 2nd. Annie Carlson Mitsoda is writing parts, so at least that will be witty .

theMycon
2010-07-29, 06:49 PM
You implied that you yourself are less experienced. Are you perchance going through one of the campaigns as a guild group? That'd be something I'd be greatly interested in; the last few times I've restarted the game, I've gotten bored due to always having difficulty getting a team of competent individuals together. Also, roughly when would I be able to expect people online?

I'd be up for that- I'm less experienced than him, I've never played through the original the whole way (largely for the same reason as you), but I've handled the others.

We're Eastern Standard Time, I'm on most weekend and available many weekdays between 7 PM and Midnight. He works a much earlier schedule, and is usually on most days from 3 or 4 'til "really damn late".

Foeofthelance
2010-07-29, 06:55 PM
I'd be up for that- I'm less experienced than him, I've never played through the original the whole way (largely for the same reason as you), but I've handled the others.

We're Eastern Standard Time, I'm on most weekend and available many weekdays between 7 PM and Midnight. He works a much earlier schedule, and is usually on most days from 3 or 4 'til "really damn late".

In that case, I would gladly join you guys. I already have a guild established, but would have no problem dropping out of it since I run it and it consists of me and my own girlfriend.

We should at least make a definite and public start time/place so we can all meet up in-game.

NecroRebel
2010-07-29, 07:23 PM

Sounds good. I'm on Pacific time, myself, but my days are pretty much entirely free at the moment, so I'll probably just log on after I eat (my dinner is in the oven right now, so I'm somewhat busy :smallwink:)

Anyway, I did chance to log on and check out my existing characters a bit. Oddly, and annoyingly, it appears that all of their appearances got screwed up somehow, so I'll probably be remaking all of them if I continue playing that long. I'll probably start off a new Monk, though, since that's been my main class since I started playing, and keep my Ele, since he's at 20 and has long been my main farmer. If you, or your boyfriend, want to send a guild invite, send it to Sagary Azell.

I'll probably be starting a new Prophecies Monk and just hanging out in presearing Ascalon for a while after I log on, so I'll probably be available for contact whenever that happens.

Foeofthelance
2010-07-29, 07:46 PM
Sounds good. I'm on Pacific time, myself, but my days are pretty much entirely free at the moment, so I'll probably just log on after I eat (my dinner is in the oven right now, so I'm somewhat busy :smallwink:)

Anyway, I did chance to log on and check out my existing characters a bit. Oddly, and annoyingly, it appears that all of their appearances got screwed up somehow, so I'll probably be remaking all of them if I continue playing that long. I'll probably start off a new Monk, though, since that's been my main class since I started playing, and keep my Ele, since he's at 20 and has long been my main farmer. If you, or your boyfriend, want to send a guild invite, send it to Sagary Azell.

I'll probably be starting a new Prophecies Monk and just hanging out in presearing Ascalon for a while after I log on, so I'll probably be available for contact whenever that happens.

Necro, if you get this before signing up, look me up under Valor Singus, I'm gonna hop on now if anyone else wishes to join me.

AlterForm
2010-07-29, 07:47 PM

Might be an issue with missing some game files. Try running the game with the "-image" launch command (preferably overnight -- it will take a long time), which will cause it (re)acquire any files it might be missing.

Foeofthelance
2010-07-29, 07:52 PM
Might be an issue with missing some game files. Try running the game with the "-image" launch command (preferably overnight -- it will take a long time), which will cause it (re)acquire any files it might be missing.

Also might be the fact they changed all the character looks a little back. Depending on when the last time Necro played, it could be the difference.

NecroRebel
2010-07-29, 08:02 PM

I did the -image trick earlier today; on my computer it only takes a half-hour or so. I seem to recall it being screwed up that way last time I played, too, so that isn't a problem.

Of course, despite the fact that I got into the program and it worked fine a couple of hours ago, now the game is claiming that access is denied on my Guild Wars directory, so I'm having to make a new one. So I'm doing the -image trick again, except since I have exactly none of the old files in the new directory it's having to download 110000+ files, so it'll take quite some time. With my connection and computer, though, it won't take all night, though probably an hour or more :smallannoyed:

Edit: ...Actually, why don't I just copy-paste the old directory into the new one? That'd be the smart way to go about it...

EditEdit: Yep, that worked out. So I'm online already. Good times...

Foeofthelance
2010-07-29, 08:11 PM
Good luck. Let me know when you're ready to get one, I'm bouncing between a couple things including GW at the moment.

Freylorn
2010-07-30, 05:16 PM
You can find me under the name Malus Marisade, if you're interested in friending me. I'm also quite interested in joining up with the guild - just having trouble running into you guys online! :smalleek:

Setra
2010-08-01, 09:54 AM
I haven't played Guild Wars in a long time, but lately I've been thinking about getting back into the game... maybe I will.

Foeofthelance
2010-08-01, 10:01 AM
NecroRebel and I got through Presearing on Thursday. I'll probably be on tomorrow night after I get home from work. RIght now I'm helping my girlfriend paint her room though.

theMycon
2010-08-01, 07:18 PM
NecroRebel and I got through Presearing on Thursday.

Just occured to me to ask (Online now & for a while, as Sven T. Uncommon mostly and Dom Manuel)-

Should I still be looking for you guys ubder Valor Singus & Sagary Azell, or are your new characters named something different?

Edit: Boyfriend's told me "add them to the friends list, it'll show up no matter which character they're on." He's smart like that.

NecroRebel
2010-08-01, 08:01 PM
Should I still be looking for you guys ubder Valor Singus & Sagary Azell, or are your new characters named something different?

Edit: Boyfriend's told me "add them to the friends list, it'll show up no matter which character they're on." He's smart like that.

I've mostly been playing my monk, Amn Unk, running around Ascalon and gathering better gear. I'll probably be on a bit later tonight, though I won't be on until relatively late tomorrow; I've got stuff to do until ~5:00 tomorrow evening.

But yeah, adding people to your friends list lets you see them whoever they're calling themselves. I've added everyone who's mentioned their name here, but for the most part haven't seen anyone.

I'm currently in Foeofthelance's guild, but if you want to send me an invite to the other, I'll probably leave his and join yours. It seems to be just him and me in that one, which is a bit boring :smalltongue:

Foeofthelance
2010-08-01, 08:56 PM
Ha! Should invite them all into mine. I like my cape!

Volug
2010-08-01, 09:56 PM
I just got hooked onto GW again, owned it for almost 3 years. Previously I started all chars in factions since they level faster, but I'm going through prophecies again.

My guild is just a guild of my buddies, would be around 15 people, but 12 of them don't even get on for the invite >_> We are all slowly starting back into it however. I've never gotten so far so quickly before myself.

Grumman
2010-08-01, 10:07 PM
*Only as MMO as you like: You can form a party of NPCs, including (in the latest two campaigns) ones you build/level/equip yourself from the ground up. Everything is instanced, so you only deal with random folk in towns. Real folk are almost always more useful.
This was my biggest problem with the game: it's incapable of being as MMO as I'd like. If there are still people whose experience with MMOs comes from MUDs, Guild Wars' heavy instancing will be a major disappointment.