PDA

View Full Version : Three Humanish Races

zakkain
2010-07-24, 11:07 PM
I'm going to be running a low-magic campaign set in a mythical Norse- and Welsh-influenced world, and I mocked up/edited some races to replace the standard Dwarf, Elf, etcetera.

Everyone in this world is Human, but there are various otherworldly powers that may enter peoples' bloodlines. Dwarfs are solitary craftsmen and hermits, not often seen by humans. Giants are almost like gods, great beings of power and mysticism. Fey are basically how fey are in D&D, they come from the spirit world.

This is for use in Pathfinder but it works out the same in 3.5 I guess. These races will be playing alongside the standard Pathfinder Human and Half-Orc. Any thoughts or suggestions? Is this fairly balanced?

Dwarfblood

+2 Constitution, +2 Wisdom, –2 Charisma: Those with dwarfish blood in their veins are built tough and are often quite wise, but they exhibit the gruffness and insular nature of their bloodline
Medium: Dwarfblooded are Medium creatures and have no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
Steady: Dwarfblooded have a base speed of 30ft, and their speed is never modified by armor or encumbrance
Diligent Craft: +2 to Craft checks. This bonus must be applied to a single Craft skill, chosen at 1st level.
Greed: +2 to Appraise checks involving precious metals or gemstones.
Stability: Dwarfblooded receive a +4 racial bonus to their Combat Maneuver Defense when resisting a bull rush or trip attempt while standing on the ground.
Blood: Dwarfblooded characters count as both humans and dwarfs for any effect related to race
Particulars: Those with dwarfish blood are often shorter and stockier than an average human, and often much heavier (though in muscle and dense bone structure as opposed to fat). They also often live to be older than average humans, living for as long as 120 years.

Feyblood

+2 Dexterity, +2 Charisma, –2 Constitution: Those with the few blood running in their veins are lithe and dexterous, and possess an unearthly quality that many find attractive or magnetic. However, their forms are often frail and wispy.
Medium: Feyblooded are Medium creatures and have no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
Magic of the Feywilde: The spirit world has left its mark on the Feyblooded. They are immune to sleep magic effects and get a +2 racial saving throw bonus against enchantment spells and effects. They also have Low-Light vision, which allows them to see twice as far as a normal human in dim light.
Keen Senses: +2 to Perception checks. +2 to Knowledge checks made to identify monsters or determine monster weaknesses.
Adaptability: Feyblooded receive Skill Focus as a bonus feat at 1st level.
Blood: Feyblooded characters count as both humans and Fey for any effect related to race
Particulars: Those with fey blood are often thinner and quicker than the average human. They also live to be older, living for as long as 150 years.

Giantblood

+2 Strength, +2 Intelligence, –2 Dexterity: Those with the blood of giants are strong and hardy, and inherited the cunning of their forefathers, but are often clumsy with their powerful physicality.
Medium: Giantblooded are Medium creatures and have no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
Jotunbrud: The physical stature of one who is Giantblooded lets them function in many ways as if they were one size category larger. Whenever a Giantblooded is subject to a size modifier or special size modifier for a combat maneuver (such as grapple, trip, bull rush), the Giantblooded is treated as Large size, if doing so is advantageous to him. He is also considered Large when determining whether a creature’s special attacks based on size (swallow whole, improved grab) can affect him. He may also use weapons designed for a creature of Large size without penalty.
Wisdom of the Elders: +2 to Survival checks and Knowledge (Nature) checks.
Blood: Giantblooded characters count as both humans and giants for any effect related to race
Particulars: Those with the blood of giants are often taller and powerfully built compared to an average human. They also live to be older, living for as long as 120 years.

Jallorn
2010-07-25, 02:19 AM
Slight (probably copypasta) issue under Feyblood, you have Giantblood's blood thing.

I'd critique, but I don't know PF. Otherwise they seem pretty good themewise and they seem balanced with each other to me.

zakkain
2010-07-25, 10:18 AM
I fixed that, thanks. What makes these Pathfinder is mostly the uniformity of attribute bonuses. Each race gets 2 +2s and 1 -2. Otherwise it might as well be 3.5 (except for the lines about CMB/CMD that just replace the old grapple/bull rush rules)