PDA

View Full Version : The Hands of Fate (IC)

OMG PONIES
2010-07-28, 12:32 PM
As you enter the great hall, a wall of sound assaults your ears. Individuals from various countries, races, and religions are deep in heated discussions. The entire chamber is abuzz. You see priests of every stripe around the chamber, from fresh-faced acolytes of Pelor to a shady-looking halfling with one eye who clutches the holy symbol of Olidammara. Suddenly, a tankard of ale flies through the air and shatters on the ground in front of you. Tracing its path, you see a dwarven priest, his face red with fury, shouting at a gnome in a jester's suit. On the other side of the chamber, a synad is having a polite, quiet conversation with himself, shadowy heads manifested on either side both nodding in agreement.

At the far end of the hall, a creature of sheer beauty sits silently. When her gaze finds you, you can't help but feel strangely warmed--comforted, even. Your eyes are drawn to her, though she is veiled by white light. You can distinguish the vaguely human outline of a woman with wings. Long, curling blonde hair runs down both sides of her head, and she holds a scroll tightly in her right hand. She stands and unfolds her wings.

The entire room falls silent.

"Lo," her voice booms, "our hopeful heroes, the brave and faithful, have arrived." She raises her left hand towards you. "Step forward and introduce yourselves." The entire room remains eerily silent, as if something of great importance was about to be said.

Trodon
2010-07-28, 12:44 PM
A scaly humanoid of about five and a half feet tall steps up, his golden leathery dragon-like wings unfurling a little, the light shines on his golden scales reflecting his heritage, he wears a long cloak with a silver trim, at his neck you see a necklace of simple beads on a string.

"I am Nixeu, a Dragonborn of the revered Bahumat and sorcerer at your service my lady." He gives a low bow, then takes a step to the side, allowing everyone else to introduce themselves. He looks at each one, his golden eyes lingering on them for a moment, then looking at the next one.

OMG PONIES
2010-07-28, 01:03 PM
As the sorcerer steps forward, furious applause erupts from a group of dragons, men, and fellow dragonborn all clad in platinum armor. "FOR BAHAMUT!" one shouts, and raises his sword into the air.

Trodon
2010-07-28, 01:07 PM
Nixeu Waves his hand to them.

He speaks. "vinxa! jaka quite vhira, origato wer lyriki renthisj." Lowering his hand when he finishes.

Translation: (For those who speak Draconic.) Thank you! Now quite down, let the others speak.

Noctemwolf
2010-07-28, 08:12 PM
Once Nixeu finished speaking, the young Dillan stood up from his seat. Walking foward, he clapped a hand on Nixeu's back before stepping foward and speaking.

"You can call me anything. Great one, your Majesty, even Chosen one. Personally, I prefer Dike. Your choice."

His smile betrayed a hint of cockiness, his entire body coiled like a spring, ready to pounce on anyone stupid enough to come looking for a fight.

DoomCup
2010-07-28, 09:11 PM
A dark haired human, respectfully attempting to avert his green eyes from this fair being's countenance and failing miserably, gives a short bow. "I'm Douglas son of Hawk, a humble blacksmith's apprentice, at your service.", he adds nervously.

Keld Denar
2010-07-28, 09:46 PM
Shosden

A blond haired man with a gnarled tree branch over his shoulder kneels before the woman. Shosden Wavery, High Cudgel of St Cuthbert, at your service. The honor is mine.

Private-Prinny
2010-07-28, 09:54 PM
A crimson-haired tiefling steps forward, his hair just short enough to make out small horns on the top of his head. He stands at about the same height as his draconic companion, but appears to be sturdier than one would guess at a glance. He wears a fair bit of armor, and holds a guisarme by his side.

My name is Aramis. What can I do for you, my lady?

Critical
2010-07-29, 05:13 AM
The man in a full plate armor, with his face covered by his helmet, being about the same height as the dragonborn and tiefling beside him, stepped forward. There was something... frightening and mysterious about him.

"I prefer to not use my name... Call me Predator."

OMG PONIES
2010-07-29, 05:41 AM
As Shosden introduces himself, a half-orc with the cross of St. Cuthbert tattooed on his chest cheers and punches the chair next to him, causing it to splinter and break. Various others provide polite applause for those who did not mention a particular deity. When you have all introduced yourselves, the chatter subsides into a nervous hush. Fluttering her wings ever so slightly, the angel speaks once more.

"Thank you all for displaying the courage to serve, and possibly die. Surely, you are aware of the threat that the Hands of Fate poses. For months now, they have been making veiled threats, but we did not take them as anything serious. Until we received this."

With that, she hands you the scroll she has been holding. Unfurling it, you find the following note scrawled in what appears to be blood:

Your time has elapsed. Millenia have been given unto thee, and they have been wasted. Your secrets are known, and they shall be revealed. Prepare to see the coming of your end. A new sun rises in seven days. You have all been warned.

The letter bears no signature--simply a crude drawing of a hand with a circle drawn in its palm. As you come to the end of the message, the angel explains: "Yesterday, a copy of this letter was delivered to every temple in the city under the cover of early morning darkness. It is clear that they are serious; the Hands of Fate are mobilizing. Brother Quickstep has more information for you." The angel sits, folding her wings around herself.

The one-eyed halfling you had seen earlier limps forward. "Sure enough," he rasps, "I was coming back from a job when I saw the little sumbitch drop the scroll on my temple's doorstep and walk away. I trailed him for a few hundred yards, and then we had a little...talk." The rogue laughs as he shares his tale, resting his hand gently on the hilt of his dagger. "It turns out the Hands are meeting tonight in the old graveyard off Daw's Field. That might be as good a place to start as any. Y'all have any questions?"

Trodon
2010-07-29, 08:08 AM
"I have none." Nixeu says, stretching out his wings.

When he can he walks up to the angel.
"Relhhu sz hatz." He begins, with a low bow. "I allonel zuo, I fihh tu eljelnzyricw ic sz qufeln yu lyuq yrel ractl ub bayel, eljelc ib iy selacl sz ufc telayr."

Celestial speakers only! (I think I am the only one...)
Hello my lady.
I assure you, I will do everything in my power to stop the hands of fate, even if it means my own death.

Keld Denar
2010-07-29, 11:52 AM
Shosden

The people shall be protected. You have my word.

Private-Prinny
2010-07-29, 11:55 AM
So we wait until nightfall, then? Sounds good to me. I do have one question, however. Brother Quickfoot, did you happen to "take care of" their messenger? We can't have them knowing about us.

Noctemwolf
2010-07-29, 12:17 PM
Dillan gave a small chuckle, and jabbed at the air a few times with his fists.

"No questions here. I'm ready to go!"

DoomCup
2010-07-29, 08:07 PM
Douglas nods. I'll help deal with this threat any way I can, even if I can't do all that much...

Critical
2010-07-29, 09:27 PM
The man in the armor remains silent, with only hard breathing that could be heard by those standing near him.

OMG PONIES
2010-07-30, 06:28 AM
So we wait until nightfall, then? Sounds good to me. I do have one question, however. Brother Quickfoot, did you happen to "take care of" their messenger? We can't have them knowing about us.

The halfling smirks, turning to Aramis and whispers, "No, I didn't take good enough care of him. I tried," he says with a trace of sarcasm as he glares at some of the more lawful committee members, "but he had a horrible accident. He fell down a flight of stairs and landed on some daggers." He concludes with a small, knowing wink to Aramis before taking his seat once more.

As the little thief sits, a warforged covered in runes rises and approaches you. "You are not ready to face the Hands, as a blacksmith is hardly ready to craft weapons without his tools. For this reason, I have made tools for you."

Crossing in front of all of you, the mechanical man stops in front of Dike. He pulls a ring off of his finger and slides it onto the monk's left index finger. "In order to war with spirits, you must often become one." He comes to Douglas next, greeting him with a gentle smile. "You'll do more than you can imagine, child." As he speaks, a flap in his arm opens to reveal a hidden compartment. He retrieves a set of thick glasses and places them on the man's face. "Your foes are like your handiwork; you must strike fast and true." He gives Douglas a friendly pat on the back before moving on.

Coming to Predator, the warforged squints at the man, as if he was trying to study him. After a brief pause, a look of recognition comes over his face, and he reaches into the bag he wears on his back, carefully retrieving a cloak covered in sharp points. "Yours is an enemy that cannot be subdued. You must destroy them." Taking a somber pause, he turns to Aramis. "But to destroy your foe, you must know them. May knowledge always be at your fingertips." He reaches into the same bag and retrieves a thick, leatherbound tome. As he drops it in your hands, you are surprised at its lightness.

The warforged skips over Nixeu, muttering that he has already received his gift. He comes to Shosden, quickly retrieving a pair of armbands from his pack. "While knowledge is necessary," he states, "it must be accompanied by power. Never relent." He straps the armbands on the cleric, nods to all of you, and reclaims his seat.

The angel speaks once more, her voice booming: "Prepare yourselves for the task ahead. Your gods, and ours, depend on you."

OOC: Make any preparations or plans in-character here. For OOC discussion and strategizing, please take it to the OOC thread. PMs have been sent to you all describing the powers of your magic items. Sorry for the long post.

Critical
2010-07-30, 07:01 AM
Predator accepts the cloak and after examining it for a second, puts it on. "You have my thanks, warforged." He turns to the rest of the party to see when they'll be ready, definitely showing that he is.

Private-Prinny
2010-07-30, 07:11 AM
The halfling smirks, turning to Aramis and whispers, "No, I didn't take good enough care of him. I tried," he says with a trace of sarcasm as he glares at some of the more lawful committee members, "but he had a horrible accident. He fell down a flight of stairs and landed on some daggers." He concludes with a small, knowing wink to Aramis before taking his seat once more.

I always knew there was a reason to like halflings. This one is crafty.

Aramis opens the tome and begins to look through its pages.

Hmm... Interesting... I didn't know that... He looks back up at the Warforged. Thank you for this. I'm sure it will be incredibly useful.

Trodon
2010-07-30, 08:37 AM
As the Warforged passes Nixeu he seemed to zone out, as if his mind was else wear. After a moment he snaps out of it, looking around he pauses his gaze on the angel, nods his head, then resumes looking about the room.

He turns to his new companions. "I am ready to leave once everyone else is."

Keld Denar
2010-07-30, 10:51 AM
Shosden

Bowing deeply, Shosden addresses the winged woman; What intelligence do you have of the Hand? Do they employ spellcasters? Do they have divine backing? To they consort with fiends or other outsiders? Do they count the undead among their ranks? Do they operate in cells, or do they have central leadership? The more information you can share with us, the better prepared and more successful we may likely be. If circumstances are indead as grave as you predict, we may need every advantage to fight for our very SURVIVAL.

OMG PONIES
2010-07-30, 12:12 PM
The angel's light shines brighter than before, and she rises to address you. "Your strength is rivaled by your wisdom, Shosden Wavery, High Cudgel of St. Cuthbert," she both roars and coos at the same time. "These are questions you are right to ask. We have little information about this group as, until now, they have played their cards close to the chest. However, we may draw knowledge from those that came before."

The angel lowers her voice and makes it more expressive, in a combination of storytelling and warning. "Half a millenium ago, there was another group who called themselves the Hands of Fate. Mortals from all walks of life, from the mundane to the magical, joined together in an attempt to destroy all of the gods. In doing so, they hoped to establish themselves as the sole authority in the multiverse. However, the power of the deities was greater than that of the Hands. A mighty tide was unleashed against them." Here, the angel's voice breaks for a moment, and loses all its sense of joy.

"For the first time in history, a truly multifaith army marched against the usurpers. Demons, devils, and angels joined forces to prevent the victory of the godless. I personally fought in that battle, alongside many--many great soldiers, from every realm. There were...heavy casualties," she sighs and pauses for a moment, "but we managed to prevent The Hands from slaying even one god. Subsequently, any living members of the Hands of Fate were either killed or imprisoned, depending on the faith of those that discovered them. A clandestine multifaith council--this council--was formed to track the activities of all cults to ensure that nothing so dangerous ever occurs again.That was the last we had heard of them, until cryptic messages started arriving on temple doorsteps a few months ago. The rest is still a mystery.

The angel opens her wings and floats gently from her seat to stand in front of you, pacing slowly in front of you. Her brilliance increases, and you must struggle not to avert your gaze.

Everyone except Nixeu:
Please make a Fortitude save if you wish to gaze past the radiance to see her face.

Nixeu (and anyone who makes a Fortitude save, DC 20):
You easily see Ana as she appeared to you in your vision, her red hair seemingly sparkling as her own light plays off of it. However, her eyes lack the luster that you saw previously. You can't be certain, but there seems to be a light stream of tears on her cheeks.

She continues to address the group, much quieter now: "Make no mistake, these people are nothing if not intelligent. They have managed to block our attempts at scrying on them, and we fear that a force of powerful believers attempting infiltration would be much too identifiable. They have the backing of no god, as representatives of even the most vile deities are represented by our council...there is no god so foolish as to desire their own destruction. As far as any extraplanar allies or undead soldiers, we are unsure. Their central leadership was destroyed after the battle, but yet their communication with the temples has been very organized. We need you to collect information so we may decide how to proceed. You have a few hours before their meeting--I suggest you prepare for any and every contingency."

Trodon
2010-07-30, 12:40 PM
Nixeu bows, then speaks. (In Celestial.) "Zell sz hatz I fihh cuy baih, zuo rajel sz funt."

Translation:
Yes my lady I will not fail, you have my word.

Critical
2010-07-30, 01:10 PM
Fort - [roll0] + 3 if that's a spell or spell-like ability

Noctemwolf
2010-07-30, 01:54 PM
Once the warforged placed the ring on his finger, Dike felt a small surge from the ring. He knew what it could do for him now, and he smiled.

This, is nice, he thought.

Fortitude check to see the angels face:
[roll0]

Though he tried, the light emanating from the angel was too much to bear, and he closed his eyes, turning his head away from the bright glow.

While listening to the angel speak, Dike grew more and more somber, the glow of confidence ebbing away from his face. If the Old Hands of Fate had been so strong as to kill a god... How could he handle them?

Perhaps it would be wise to learn about his teammates and learn what they could do. If he was lucky, some of them might actually be useful. Though he hoped none of them were making the wrong choice in risking their lives, he hoped sincerely he would live through this.

We're not actually fighting the Hand. Not yet, at least, he thought to himself.

He nodded his head in resignation to the angel's words.

"You have a few hours before their meeting--I suggest you prepare for any and every contingency."

"We're gonna need it."

Critical
2010-07-30, 02:52 PM
The man in the armor listened to the angel, and when she turned bright didn't turn away and he saw it, although, he didn't say anything.

DoomCup
2010-07-30, 05:17 PM
Douglas looks in suprise at the spectacles, turning them over in his hands before putting them back on the face. "Thanks" he manages to mumble.

Private-Prinny
2010-07-30, 05:34 PM
Fortitude Save: [roll0]

Aramis looks at the angels face, but the light is too intense.

Since he cannot bear looking at his employer, he looks back to the book and begins thumbing through it again.

I may be able to piece together some sort of plan, once I have an idea of what we're up against. And I think I may find something worthwhile in this book.

Keld Denar
2010-07-30, 06:45 PM
Shosden

[roll0]

Shosden stares at the ground, waiting for the light to pass, then waits again to be dismissed.

OMG PONIES
2010-07-31, 07:02 AM
The angel smiles, and curtsies politely. "You may take your leave, brave and faithful ones. You have many preparations to make."

Trodon
2010-07-31, 01:30 PM
"Zell sz hatz." Nixeu says, he then turns and walks away.

Translation (Celestial)
Yes my lady.

Noctemwolf
2010-07-31, 08:50 PM
Once Nixeu turns and walks from the angels presence, Dike quickly catches up to him.

"So, what do you say we do? I think we need to teach these guys a lesson, eh?"

though some of the color had returned to his face, He was still a little shaken on his thoughts from the angels words.

Trodon
2010-07-31, 11:36 PM
"I'm not sure, we could." Nixeu says, glancing back at the rest of them. "On second though, why don't we just get to know them a little, if they ever decide to leave that hall." Nixeu chuckles a little, then turns and waits for everyone else.

Keld Denar
2010-08-01, 12:47 AM
Shosden

Walking along the others, Shosden addresses the group. This situation is indeed grave. We need to approach carefully. Getting information back to the council is of the utmost importance. If we can slay or capture some of their members, that would be best, but in the event that combat turns against us, one of us needs to escape to pass word on to the council and the lady. These words seem dire, but the situation as a whole is dire. If this really is the Hands of Fate, existance itself is under siege.

DoomCup
2010-08-01, 10:33 AM
Douglas nods, remaining silent. The planning is better left to greater minds than his, while he'd give support with his swords.

Private-Prinny
2010-08-02, 09:59 AM
I've got mostly word of mouth to go on, but there may be some sort of lead we can follow.

Knowledge (Local) check to know more about the upcoming encounter.[roll0] (+3 Int, +5 ranks, +5 tome)

The tiefling smiles, revealing a small fang at his bottom-left incisor. And it looks like they let something slip its way into this book. It's not much, but I do have something to go on.

OMG PONIES
2010-08-02, 12:52 PM
@Prinny:
Most of what you know about the Hands (of the past) has been discussed already. However, as you open your new tome, a blotch of ink on the page starts to swirl and form recognizable letters. As the letters come together into words, you begin to read a synopsis of an ancient ritual.

The Left and Right

A deeply symbolic group, The Hands of Fate used to begin each meeting with an act of good: a display of charity from one member to another, a tale of selflessness, or one of countless others. This seemingly innocuous act would often open the night's ceremony, prefacing the more utilitarian parts of the meeting (inductions, memoriams, and announcements). However, The Hands believed in the supremacy of the human will over all morality. They thought of themselves as outside the boundaries of good and evil. The act of good was only the first half of the ceremony, as the Hands would often conclude their meetings by--

The text cuts off abruptly, as if erased, and the next line of text is unrelated, reading:

Leg of Lamb Cinnamon Honey Glaze(recipe)

As the group approaches the cemetary, it seems an almost cheery sight. A large, groomed dirt path leads up a slight incline to the entrance, flanked on either side by a large dogwood tree. Over the horizon, an amber sun is enjoying its last moments beneath a lush blanket of pale purple sky, and the few remaining birds of day are still chirping the goodbyes. The grounds seem well-lit and immaculately gardened, and the masonry on every mausoleum is precise.

You begin to wonder if you have been given misinformation, when the last ray of the sun disappears from the sky. A low hum spreads from the back-center of the cemetary, as if a horn is sounding somewhere far off in the distance. Then, you each begin to hear an echoing hum--much like the sound of a choir--still distant, but closing in on all sides.

Please make Spot and Listen checks, but feel free to act otherwise.

Critical
2010-08-02, 01:47 PM
Spot - [roll0]
Listen - [roll1]

Trodon
2010-08-02, 06:39 PM
[roll0]
[roll1]

Private-Prinny
2010-08-02, 07:03 PM
Spot: [roll0]
Listen: [roll1]

Aramis speaks quietly to his teammates.

Be careful, everyone. Their meeting will start out harmlessly enough, but I don't think we want to stick around for the ending. According to the book, they start each ceremony off with an act of Good, and they put themselves above the Gods' vision of morality. I bet that means they finish with something Evil, but I don't know for sure.

Keld Denar
2010-08-02, 07:17 PM
Shosden

We should stay together. If they find any one of us alone, he will probably be slain or captured. Together we can protect each other. Prepare for the worst.

[roll0]
[roll1]

DoomCup
2010-08-03, 01:05 AM
spot: [roll0]
listen: [roll1]

OMG PONIES
2010-08-03, 05:52 AM
@Aramis, Shosden, and Douglas:
Amidst the droning sound, you can swear you hear words--three phrases repeated over and over as a call to worship. The droning voice chants: "Come, now is the time dy nyka ocyra arym
, yu ynaclvelct wuut."

@Aramis only:
You understand part of the phrase as Infernal, but can't place the rest. "Come, now is the time to rise above evil, yu ynaclvelct wuut."

@Shosden only:
As the chanting begins, you notice movement out of the corner of your eye, as if a creature had moved towards the back of the cemetary (towards A8). However, you can't be sure the creature noticed you yet--if there's even anything there. You notice that the door of one mausoleum (J14-K15) is slightly ajar.

Night falls abnormally fast over the cemetary, and the chanting continues to intensify until it is a mad din. Whoever is chanting, they are on their way. You have but seconds to flee or prepare. What do you do?

Keld Denar
2010-08-03, 10:22 AM
Shosden

Keep alert. I saw something moving in the back. There is an open door. Lets check it out.

Noctemwolf
2010-08-03, 06:36 PM
Dike, who had been leaning against the Willow while the others searched, stood up and stretched.
"Alright then! Let's get going!"
His voice was kept low while he spoke. He moved toward the Mausoleum pointed out by Shosden, taking the lead, but doing so with caution.

(Moves to point K11)

Move Silently [roll0]

Critical
2010-08-03, 07:28 PM
Predator silently follows. Clearly, he's not a very talkative fellow and was here just to get the job done.

Private-Prinny
2010-08-03, 07:44 PM
Aramis lets out a small chuckle.

Right, let's go into the mysteriously open crypt. Still, it can't be any worse than the humans chanting in half Infernal. Let's just move quickly.

Move to L9, since I don't know if Dike is going for J14-K15 or M14-N15.
Move Silently check: [roll0]:smalleek::smallannoyed::smallmad::smallfurious:

Keld Denar
2010-08-03, 09:18 PM
Shosden

Shosden casts Hide from Undead, affecting the whole party (for 5 hours) then hefts his club and walks forward, making no attempt to be silent. Don't attack any mindless undead you see, they can't harm you unless you do.

[roll0]

Noctemwolf
2010-08-03, 09:36 PM
Nods in response to Shosden's comment, feeling the magic slide over him.

Dike reaches the door and attempts to determine what is on the other side of the door.

Listen [roll0]
Hide [roll1]
Spot [roll2]

(Moves to k13)

OMG PONIES
2010-08-04, 05:47 AM
As you reach the door to the mausoleum, you notice that it is entirely normal, save for the fact that everything inside has been stripped bare. Furthermore, there is no body interred within.

As you explore, the dim chanting continues to grow louder until it washes over the entire cemetary. Whoever is making the sound will be arriving shortly; you have a matter of seconds to make your decisions--will you hide or confront this odd group?

Noctemwolf
2010-08-06, 10:19 PM
"Ahh, there they are!"

Dike quickly straghtenes his bandana, taking up a stance as he looks to the others.

"Well? Should we hide and strike with suprise? Or go for them now? I'm Sure we can take them. Come on!"

Critical
2010-08-07, 05:37 AM
"Hmph." - could be heard from the armored man, as he prepared for battle. - "Lets take them on. I'm no good at hiding in a full plate armor."

Private-Prinny
2010-08-07, 07:22 AM
Aramis smiles, polearm at the ready and his hands crackling with arcane energy.

They're going to find us anyway, so we may as well be ready.

Keld Denar
2010-08-07, 02:42 PM
Shosden

Feeling the power of his god surge through him, Shosden nods to Aramis and holds his cudgel over his head like a big league slugger.

DoomCup
2010-08-07, 08:40 PM
Douglas draws his swords. "I think I can handle myself..."

Trodon
2010-08-08, 01:17 PM
"Well let's get this done quickly, shall we?" Nixeu says as he pulls off his necklace, once it is removed from his neck it transforms into a golden chain with seven golden spheres.

OMG PONIES
2010-08-10, 06:00 AM
As the party readies themselves, the din escalates to a roar, as a herd of worshipers converges on the cemetery from every direction. They pay no attention to you, instead moving directly towards the back. While most cults wear matching robes of one sort or another, you notice that this group is dressed in ordinary clothing from all walks of life--a butcher still wears his apron, a banker is clad in an immaculately-kept suit, and a painter wears his smock, among others.

Map (http://www.celestine-empire.net/battlegrid/DM.php?sessionID=Cemetary) updated. If you choose to attack these worshipers, you get a surprise round. For whatever reason, they have tunnel vision right now and act as if they don't even see you.

Noctemwolf
2010-08-11, 10:36 AM
"Let’s get a hold of one of these worshipers, shall we?"

Sneaking up behind the last worshiper in the line, Dike attempts to grab him without the others noticing.
(Moves to I 15 and attempts to grapple the worshipper in that square.)

Grapple Check
[roll0]
Move Silently
[roll1]

OMG PONIES
2010-08-11, 10:52 AM
As you grab the worshiper, he attempts to scream out. However, the volume of the trifold call to worship is more than enough to drown him out, and the other worshipers procede towards the back of the cemetery. As he lays on the ground, his eyes are not full of fear. Instead, he beams up at you with a look of adoration. "Welcome, friends!" he says, "we were expecting that you would join us, but we didn't know when. Come, come, the service is starting! Let us join the others in the back!"

OOC: Usually, you need a touch attack to initiate a grapple, but I'll let it slide this time given his flatfootedness, the darkness, and confusion of the scene.

Private-Prinny
2010-08-11, 07:51 PM
Aramis eyes the worshiper intently, remaining on guard.

They always begin with an act of good, and then... something. I don't think I can afford to take any chances.

Move Action: Move to I13. (the map didn't show it, but I did move to L9 earlier)
Standard Action: Ready an action to channel a Shocking Grasp into him if he gets violent.

Critical
2010-08-11, 09:41 PM
"What would that... include?.." - Predator asks in a grim voice from the armor.

Noctemwolf
2010-08-12, 12:43 PM
Dike let the man go, seeing an opportunity to sneak into the meeting and learn more about the Hands of Fate.

"Of course," he says hastily, "Let us go. Don't worry, we'll be there shortly."

Dike lets go of the worshiper.
Bluff against the worshiper
[roll0]

OMG PONIES
2010-08-13, 05:39 AM
The man looks at Predator quizically. "It includes the same things as most worship services...hymns, tithing, fellowship, prayer, and preaching. Brother Bartleby is an excellent speaker--oh come, come, you'll see!"

With that, the man turns to walk towards the back of the cemetery, towards an area currently hidden by trees and shadow. You notice that the chanting has died down to only one voice once again.

Noctemwolf
2010-08-13, 10:41 PM
Dike turns to the other members of the group.

"Alright, guys. I think we may have a chance here of being able to do this without too much violence..." His eyes give a look of slight disappointment, but he goes on speaking.

"With any luck, we can learn more this way than going headlong. Though, if they force our hand, I'll certainly be happy to oblige them..."

Keld Denar
2010-08-15, 01:50 AM
Shosden

Resting his cudgel casually over his shoulder, Shosden shuffles along after the interesting man.

Critical
2010-08-15, 04:58 AM
Predator slowly followed and without much words followed the man.

Trodon
2010-08-15, 11:21 AM
Nixeu follows, keeping the golden chain in hand.

Private-Prinny
2010-08-15, 12:46 PM
Aramis follows after Nixeu, still wary of the worshiper.

Noctemwolf
2010-08-15, 01:28 PM
Dike brings up the rear of the group, following behind Aramis.

OMG PONIES
2010-08-16, 06:27 AM
As you follow the worshiper deeper into the cemetery, you notice that things begin to look deeper and more foreboding. The trees are sparse and colorless, the headstones are jagged in the ground, and mist hugs your ankles. The last few bars of a melancholy hymn are being sung, but they end just as you approach, and you cannot make out any of the words. The gravestones become sparse, yielding to a grove of willows with a clearing in the middle--this is where the service is taking place. As you enter, the worshiper you captured springs forth and ebulliently shouts, "They're here, they're here! I was the one that found them!" He runs into the center of the clearing, which is surrounded by worshipers in a massive circle. However, the circle breaks as you approach, and the worshipers allow you to pass freely.

As he sprints forward, he comes before a creature of intense beauty, wrapped in layer after layer of robes in order to minimize the brilliance of the light emitting from him. He looks almost exactly like Ana: his red hair is close-cropped and neatly groomed, and his blue eyes sparkle with the reflections of his own shine. He stands with all the grace and majesty of a king. When he speaks, his voice is firm and powerful, but comes as a whisper.

"Lo," he says, "our hopeful heroes, the brave and faithful, have arrived." He raises his right hand towards you. "Aramis, Dike, Douglas, Nixeu, Predator, Shosden," he lists your names with a sense of familiarity, as if he has known you for decades. "Step forward and prepare your hearts, as we have a mighty task to ask of you. My name is Aaron--please, allow me to explain, before you act hastily upon my sister's lies."

OOC: New map. (http://www.celestine-empire.net/battlegrid/DM.php?sessionID=Clearing) If you want to take a hostile action, you'd get a surprise round. If not, please note your assent.

Private-Prinny
2010-08-16, 08:33 AM
There are way too many of them to try anything. Let's hear what this guy has to say.

How do you know our names? I do not recall ever meeting you.

Keld Denar
2010-08-17, 02:19 PM
Shosden

Shosden leans casually on his cudgel, cocking his head to listen.

Noctemwolf
2010-08-17, 02:19 PM
Dike, having no idea what to think, simply stands to listen to the shining figure.

OMG PONIES
2010-08-17, 03:54 PM
There are way too many of them to try anything. Let's hear what this guy has to say.

How do you know our names? I do not recall ever meeting you.

"Of course," Aaron laughs, "my apologies. Many of you were not yet formed the last time we met. But I have known you for ages before your birth, friends. Trust this. In a matter of speaking, you could call me your guardian angel."

He pauses to allow this to sink in. "However, now I must call upon you to guard me. Hopefully, you will all choose to serve, knowing that you may die. Apparently, you are unaware of the threat that the Braid of Faith poses. For millenia now, helmed by my own kin, they have been subtly oppressing the masses. Let me clarify," he says, shaking his head, "I have nothing against any particular deity, or even the pantheon as a whole. However, this cadre of religious zealots has been operating together, each under the guise of their respective faiths to subvert the one thing that matters--personal choice. Long ago, I swore a pact not to make my presence known to those I guard, but agents of the Braid have been watching me, ready to strike. In an effort to buy time, I sent them this."

He hands you a copy of a familiar letter, but this is clearly a rough draft. Notes are scribbled and scratched all over the margins, but the body of the text is familiar:

Your time has elapsed. Millenia have been given unto thee, and they have been wasted. Your secrets are known, and they shall be revealed. Prepare to see the coming of your end. A new sun rises in seven days. You have all been warned.

Aaron's eyes dart from left to right, possibly scanning the treeline for any intruders. "I wish we had the capability to expose the Braid. However, they are nothing if not intelligent. They wrap themselves in layer upon layer of secrecy, and my sources told me they had already approached you to carry out my assassination...which I see is true, judging by your arrival tonight. The way it stands, you have three options: either expose the Braid of Faith for their injustices, join us and guard me from their attacks..." here the angel steps forward, kneels, extends his neck, and says matter-of-factly, "or do what you were sent to."

Critical
2010-08-18, 08:54 AM
"...Braid?.." - Predator calls out from the armor in a grim voice.

OMG PONIES
2010-08-18, 09:50 AM
"Yes," Aaron calls from his position, unmoving and unflinching. "the more power-hungry leaders of each faith are represented, though many believers and priests are unaware of the Braid's existence. They chose the name because their faiths are woven together in support of a common cause--keeping the peace, they call it. They wish to eliminate the knowledge of free will in order to keep the faithful blindly following and generously giving. The sickest part? It's been working; a cord of three strands is not easily broken."

Trodon
2010-08-18, 02:40 PM
Nixeu speaks up. "Prove it to us, prove that you are what you say." He brings the golden chain to his other hand, ready to grab one of the spheres.

OMG PONIES
2010-08-18, 03:43 PM
Aaron looks up at Nixeu with bewilderment in his eyes, and speaks in a strange yet beautiful language. "Fray sunel qnuub tu zuo neldoinel, Nixeu? Iy fal I fru lajelt zuo bnus yray binel, I fru fayvrelt al zuo octelnfelcy yrel Niyel ub Nelpinyr. Iy ral ahfazl pelelc sel act, ib zuo saxel yrel vruivel yu xihh sel, iy fihh pel cu sunel. Lyihh, yrel vruivel il zuonl. Lynixel ib zuo soly, poy lynixel ynoel."

Translation for Celestial speakers only:
What more proof do you require, Nixeu? It was I saved you from that fire, I who watched as you underwent the Rite of Rebirth. It has always been me and, if you make the choice to kill me, it will be no more. Still, the choice is yours. Strike if you must, but strike true.

Noctemwolf
2010-08-18, 03:44 PM
Dike lets Nixeu Speak, crossing his arms and stepping up beside him.
Though he does not understand a word spoken, Dike tries his best to seem like he understands.

Trodon
2010-08-19, 08:27 AM
"I, I tuc'y xcuf fray yu pelhieljel. I vac pnicw reln relnel niwry cuf." Nixeu drops to his knees, and lowers his head. "Ur pelhujelt Parosay fray lruoht I tu?" After speaking he raises his head, gazing at the heavens as if to see something.

I, I don't know what to believe. I can bring her here right now. Oh beloved Bahumat what should I do?

OMG PONIES
2010-08-19, 08:40 AM
Aaron's eyes go wide, and he darts upright with his arms extended (as if to stop Nixeu). "You mustn't!" he shouts at the dragonborn, "You don't know what she's capable of!"

@Nixeu:
As you raise your head to the sky, you hear a draconic voice behind you, as clear as day. "Anyon lionmydr myihufii, lian stniunchty. Yrai yhu drnii ydrniihu."

Translation:
"You must serve, my child. One or the other."

Trodon
2010-08-19, 08:45 AM
"Yes my lord." Nixeu stands up, then kneels before Aaron. "I relnelpz qheltwel szlelhb yu zuon vaolel, ic yrel ruqell yray I fihh pel bunwijelc bun sz lyoqitiyz."

I hereby pledge myself to your cause, in the hopes that I will be forgiven for my stupidity.

OMG PONIES
2010-08-19, 08:53 AM
Aaron draws his sword, steps forward, and knights Nixeu. "Now we shall guard each other, brave Knight of the Hands." He looks to the rest of the party. "Your comrade's choice is his own; it does not speak for you. What say you? Will you join our cause?"

@Nixeu: make a Spot check, please.

Trodon
2010-08-19, 09:06 AM
OOC:Spot check.
[roll0]

Private-Prinny
2010-08-19, 05:57 PM
Aramis glances towards the dragonborn, his grip tightening on his weapon. He looks back at Aaron.

Nixeu seems to believe that your words have some merit, but I am not so easily impressed. Ry' drar, Aaron, 'a'ra roj ary'kr domg yr dra mork'oka yv dra 'kkan kmorak. Yv iy' gry' dra kyd'odyyr ok 'amm ok iy' rmoyz, iy' kry'mj ca ocma dy kyra za kyza kynd yv knyyv caryrj iy'n 'ynjk, orj yr dra mork'oka yv zi orrakdni.

Orj cakyjak, Y jy rora ydran ky'nrak Y ror rrarg.

He takes the book out, showing it to Aaron.

Gdoom boom sootsat ge pa nee oo papnan ek eta ek gda mdaenmdam gdoog kaalm gdnaoogatag. Oo get'g bteb ook da boom doosd-nootboots ateaesd ge na boong ek eeeaen me-moollag "Braid," naeg gdoom gepa oom koooonlee bebankael. Oomboots oo chaeamgooet en gbe beaelg ge aem mepa seeg, teb beaelgt'g oog?

Translation (Infernal Speakers)Now then, Aaron, we've had enough talk in the language of the upper planes. If you know the situation as well as you claim, you should be able to give me some sort of proof behind your words, and in the language of my ancestry.

And besides, I do have other sources I can check.

This was given to me by a member of one of the churches that feels threatened. I don't know if he was high-ranking enough to be part of your so-called "Braid," but this tome is fairly powerful. Asking a question or two would do us some good, now wouldn't it?

Noctemwolf
2010-08-21, 08:15 PM
With Nixeu pledging his loyalty to the new figure, Dike was suddenly struck with a severe case of confusion. He wasn't sure what to do; he had already pledge his service to, if this new angel was correct, the Braid.
Not that he wasn't use to betrayal; he had, in a sense, betrayed his teacher and his rules. Now it was another test, to see if he could do the 'right' thing. The real problem was figuring out which path was the right one to take.

Dike decided to wait out all the talking for now, seeing as he understood none of it.

Keld Denar
2010-08-24, 12:40 AM
Shosden

Forgive my skepticism, but thats the exact opposite story that your sister gave us. What gives you more credability than her? What proof do you have that your words are truer than hers? As a servant of the gods, St Cuthbert in particular, I dislike the idea of any faithful group being considered "false", regardless of patron. I garuntee that my faith is well placed, and would die to prove it.

OMG PONIES
2010-08-24, 05:39 AM
@Trodon:
As Aaron knights you, you notice that there is an inscription down the middle of his sword's blade. One side reads: "Yu qnuyelvy," while the other bears an inscription stating: "Dy jakdnyi."

Celestial Translation:To Protect
Infernal Translation:To Destroy

Aaron turns towards Shosden, motioning to Nixeu that he may rise. "Your faith shall be rewarded, Shosden, but I fear you misunderstand me. I am not stating that the gods are not worthy of worship--far from it. However, you made a choice to devote your life to St. Cuthbert. What if that choice was stolen from you? That is what the Braid seeks to accomplish. They are not a group of faithful people--they are but totalitarians masquerading as people of faith so as to deceive them. Unfortunately, it seems that they may have already deceived you, too.

Allow me to answer your question with a question: what indication do you have that my sister's words are true? What gives her story more credibility than mine? If I know her as well as I once did, I will guess that she appealed to your emotions and then attempted to purchase your loyalty. I, on the other hand, have presented simple facts, even extending the opportunity for you to kill me with no resistance. I can make one guarantee--Ana would never do the same."

As Aramis draws the book, Aaron shifts his glance to the tiefling and shakes his head sadly. "It seems I was correct about her attempt to purchase your loyalty. Iy' ona z'rr dyy kzond dy vomm knai dy k'rr kyzkma jarakdyyr, Onozyk. Nazoyr rykymord."

Translation (Infernal):
You are much too smart to fall prey to such simple deception, Aramis. Remain vigilant.

"We may consult that tome if you wish, but allow me to ask you a question as well: did you consider who has edited that book? My sister is as shrewd as she is beautiful; she would only allow you access to the information she wants you to have. Tell me, have you come across any inaccurate or incomplete entries?"

Private-Prinny
2010-08-24, 01:20 PM
The tiefling lets out a small chuckle. You misunderstand me, Aaron. This book is an example of the fear you have instilled in honest people. Do you honestly think that the more honest members of the churches you contacted aren't afraid?

Your story also has just as many holes as Ana's. I have come across an incomplete entry with this tome, relating directly to this organization. This could be a result of tampering on either end. Editing of information is possible, but the most powerful divinations can also be fooled. You also don't gain much credibility for being an angel that just so happens to speak Infernal.

But even more crucial than that is one important question. If one side is lying, is the other necessarily truthful? I don't know or care about the decisions of the others, but I am going back to Ana to report the facts plainly. We met with you, encountered resistance, lost Nixeu and whoever else feels like joining you, and were forced to retreat. Your sister will send me after you again soon enough, and I'll have more information next time. Until then, I am leaving, regardless of how well you manage to weave your words. If anyone is coming with me, I suggest you make the decision now.

OMG PONIES
2010-08-24, 02:03 PM
"Speak to my sister in Infernal when next you meet," Aaron says, "and you will find her quite the conversationalist. We both served in the great war, and learned the language from our unlikely compatriots. Your skepticism is justified, though."

He narrows his eyes slightly, more in thought than anger, and continues. "Your questions about honesty are valid. Who is completely honest all the time? If you choose to return to Ana, you are free to do so, but tell me: what resistance have you encountered? Who is forcing you to retreat? You may weigh my words carefully, but weigh your own likewise."

OOC: You know, not one person has made a Sense Motive check this whole time. How interesting. :smallwink:

Private-Prinny
2010-08-24, 02:22 PM
Simple. You are attempting to convince us to join you and interfering with our mission. That is the very definition of resistance. I am forced to retreat by my own suspicions, as well as... let's call it a tactical disadvantage. Aramis eyes the surrounding members.

I weigh my words carefully, Aaron, which is why you will not convince me to stay.

I have a horrid Sense Motive, so this probably won't do anything, but [roll0]

Noctemwolf
2010-08-24, 03:24 PM
Dike, Still not so sure about all this, Steps up to Nixeu.

"Are you sure about this? I don't know half of what he's saying, but don't you think you've given in a little too quickly?"

Sense Motive [roll0]

Critical
2010-08-24, 08:07 PM
[roll0] - Sense Motive.

Also, I'm real confused with the story. o_O

Noctemwolf
2010-08-24, 08:17 PM
Knowledge (Religion) Check : [roll0]

Keld Denar
2010-08-29, 12:16 AM
Shosden

I think we have heard enough. I believe we should withdraw and hold council, regardless of your current beliefs.

OMG PONIES
2010-08-29, 06:26 AM
Aaron smirks. "Yes, very wise. You have heard many conflicting things this very day, I'm sure. Take your time, and make your choice. Will you be conversing here and now? If not, I will have Tenacio show you back to the exit."

With a snap of his fingers, Aaron brings forth a small wiry man with thick glasses from the crowd.

Keld Denar
2010-08-29, 09:58 PM
Shosden

If we choose to make contact with you again, how would this be possible? Secret assemblies generally don't advertise their meetings.

Noctemwolf
2010-08-31, 05:21 PM
With Nixeu's silence, Dike stands up to follow Shosden out of the graveyard.

OMG PONIES
2010-09-03, 02:59 PM
Aaron smirks slightly. "I'll be at the White Dolphin Inn at sundown tomorrow. Whether your choice is to aid me or assassinate me, I shall be waiting. Until we meet again, friends. Tenacio, make sure they can find the exit."

The wiry man blinks, his eyes exaggerated behind large lenses. "Thish way, then, friendsh," he mumbles, limping back towards the main courtyard.

You arrive back in town in the thick of night. The merchants have closed up their shops for the night, and the only sounds heard are coming from the more raucous taverns in town. You fight sleep from your eyes as a young child approaches the group.

"Aren't you geezers looking the worse for wear? Say, any of you carrying pipe tobacco? I seem to be fresh out."

Noctemwolf
2010-09-07, 07:21 PM
Looking somewhat cross, Dike looked at the young child. His voice was somewhat harsh as he spoke.

"Don't think you need something like that, kid. That stuff will kill you. Trust me. I know. Scat!"

OMG PONIES
2010-09-07, 07:29 PM
The youth scoffs at the naysayers. "I can live me life alone on the streets but can't enjoy a proper smoke? Fie! You lads need a good place to stay? Two gold a piece, I might remember the name."

Noctemwolf
2010-09-13, 05:24 PM
Having cooled his head slightly, Dike simply looks at the child, no expression adorning his face.
"Depends. How much it cost? And beside that, is it a GOOD place to stay?"

He leans against a nearby wall and crosses his arms, still watching the child quietly, two gold coins flickering between the fingers of his right hand.

Sense Motive: [roll0] +8 18
question. What is the child's gender? :smallcool:

OMG PONIES
2010-09-13, 06:44 PM
The boy laughs, a genuine chuckle that conveys no deceit. "Just them two quid a peace, guvs. Most reputable inn in town. That is, 'less you're looking for a different kind of quality," he says with a raised eyebrow and a gentle elbow to Dike's ribs. "That'll bump it to three a head."

@Dike:
He's being perfectly straightforward, and you're surprised that he doesn't even try to swipe anything when he nudges you.

Noctemwolf
2010-09-13, 07:06 PM
Dike brushes off his chest, then looks down at the kid.

"No, no... How bout' This?"

he tosses the kid a coin.

"That one's for the name of the inn."

he pulls an additional three coins out of his pocket, holding all four coins between each of his outstretched fingers.

"These ones are to take me there, if it's the one I... We're looking for."

Trodon
2010-09-13, 08:05 PM
Nixeu looks around quickly, as if coming out of a trance, he lowers his head for another moment, then speaks. "So, what are we going to do?"

OMG PONIES
2010-09-13, 08:20 PM
The untidy youth makes a strange face at the dragonborn's comment, then shrugs. "'Spose we're going to head towards the--eh, pretty quick for a geez. Almost made me give up the name. I've only collected my finder's fee from one of ye. So, lads, ante up."

He holds out his hand expectantly, waiting for the others to pay their initial gold.

OOC: Please post your reaction to this offer. If you don't post within 48 hours, I will assume you have no problem parting with 1 gp in order to keep things moving. If you have issue with the offer, speak now or forever hold your peace.

Private-Prinny
2010-09-13, 08:21 PM
Aramis just stands there and smirks to himself, surprised that Dike of all people was taking the lead. At the youth's offer, he tosses a coin through the air.

Take it. You certainly need it more than I do. I suggest you listen to my friend about the tobacco, though. People who live on the streets don't get out of them by wasting their money on such frivolous things.

Critical
2010-09-14, 08:55 AM
Predator, clearly unpleased with the offer at hand. mumbling something to himself, throws a gold coin at the kids palm.

Trodon
2010-09-14, 09:54 AM
Nixeu takes a coin, then hands it to the kid.

OMG PONIES
2010-09-14, 10:10 AM
The scrawny varmint whistles as he collects the gold from the group. "Not bad at all, gents, not bad. Hope you like full mugs and plush pillows, 'cause the White Dolphin's got plenty of both." He skips merrily down a twisting alleyway.

"This way, my children, this way. HEY!" he calls out to the crowd of shadows loitering in the alley's nooks and crannies. "No daggers or jumps, sports. These geezers are with me, hear?" A chorus of disappointed mumbles echoes through the alleyway, and the unknown crowd fades back into the darkness. The alley seems to widen thanks to your guide dispersing the crowd of crooks, thieves, and ne'er-do-wells.

The boy skips at a pace that makes it easy for you to follow, and leads you straight to the door of The White Dolphin. A clean storefront sits among a row of tall, decrepit buildings. A soft wind blows the sign in the wind, a dolphin carved out of wood, hanging by two chains. The thick door is closed securely, but the warm light of a roaring fireplace escapes freely through the windows.

"Okay, lads, I gave you the name, for which you've paid. Now I got you here. Balance due: 3 golds a peace." He holds out his greedy little hand to you once again.

OOC: 24 hours to post consent or refusal to give your gold, otherwise I'm autopiloting you to pay up.

Keld Denar
2010-09-14, 01:04 PM
Shosden

Spose you can't fault an entrepreneur. Shosden flips the kid 5g. If you like that, stop by the church of St. Cuthbert. There are many there who can teach you a trade to help you get out of this risky, dangerous life.

Trodon
2010-09-14, 08:24 PM
Nixeu takes 3 gold, then tosses them to the kid, then walks into the bar.

OMG PONIES
2010-09-16, 11:54 AM
The doorman smiles at you as you walk in, then turns to the street rat. "That's some great finding, Gregory! Round up more customers like that, and we may just give you a raise. Well, here it is, 2 gold per traveler." The doorman extends a small sack to the boy, but pauses. "You haven't been charging no finder's fee, have you?" The boy shakes his head, and the doorman gives him the pouch. "No, Mr. Willington," he lies to the doorman, "I just brings 'em. Thank you, sir." The boy turns and darts, scampering into the night.

Inside, the bar is atypical. Rather than a dirty, loud den of drunkards, it seems more like the sitting room of a wealthy family. Leather chairs are gathered around a bearskin rug in front of the fireplace, and the tables are both clean and sturdy, an oddity in these parts. Rather than a barmaid, a slight man in a three-piece suit comes to greet you. "Welcome to ze White Dolfeen," he coos, "we have rooms ready for all of you, or you can choose to veesit the bar."

OOC: Take your time to relax, discuss what Aaron had to say, and so on.

Noctemwolf
2010-09-17, 07:49 PM
Dike looks at the man, dressed as he is in his finery, and presents an emotionless face.

"Thanks. Just let me know which room is mine. I'm going to go sit over there."

He points toward the fireplace. He walks over and sits on the rug. Crossing his legs, he closes his eyes and places his hands on his knees, and breathes deeply, centering himself for the coming conversations.

OMG PONIES
2010-09-23, 02:45 PM
The tiny little man smiles broadly at Dike. "Zertainly, zir. You are in rooms Zeven through ten. If you weel follow me, pleasss?" He escorts you down a broad hallway lined with ornate sconces, and shows you to your rooms. As you enter, he hands each of you a key.

The night passes without incident, allowing each of you plenty of time to sleep, relax, meditate, or prepare your spells for the day. You are amazed at the serene peace a place like the White Dolphin offers; despite its many travelers, the usual cacaphony of an inn is absent here. You each spend the day as you see fit, with instructions to meet in the hallway outside your rooms shortly before sundown.

You each leave your rooms at almost the same time, preparing to meet Aaron at the bar. However, as you step into the hallway, you see a dark plume of smoke rolling like a wave across the ceiling. It seems to be coming from the area of the tavern, and you hear a short set of screams coming from that direction that affirms your suspicions.

Trodon
2010-09-23, 05:58 PM
*Sigh*"Well, let's fix this." Nixeu runs down to the first floor.

Noctemwolf
2010-09-23, 06:16 PM
After his night of rest, Dike does some quick stretching before moving out into the hall.

He notices Nixeu already moving down to the first floor.

"Maybe he'll Answer me now..." Dike said, Bitterly.

"What do you guys think he was thinking?" Dike said to Shosden and Predator, moreso though to Shosden. He was somwhat wary of Predator. After all, he didn't even know the man true name.

Keld Denar
2010-09-23, 08:13 PM
Shosden

Smelling the smoke, Shosden reaches over and grabs his cudgel. Whispering a prayer before moving to the door, he walks over behind Dike.

Cast Bulls Strength.

Noctemwolf
2010-09-23, 08:22 PM
Startled out of his sleep coma, Dike shook his head some.

"Wait... Smoke?"

He quickly rubbed the sleep from his eyes. It was indeed smoke. How could he have missed that?
Dike hurried down after Nixeu, after a nod to Shosden, aknowledging his prescence.

Who did you cast bull's strength on? Me, or yourself Keld?
Sorry for missing the part about the smoke.... Something tells me I was as tired as Poor Dike 0_0**

Critical
2010-09-24, 06:34 PM
The fully-armored Predator simply responds: "Don't know, draconic blood, perhaps?" - he says, sighing and following Nixeau.

Private-Prinny
2010-09-24, 10:59 PM
*sigh*

Aramis follows the others, wondering if this is merely a coincidence.

OMG PONIES
2010-09-27, 03:45 PM
As the group follows the source of the smoke, they confront a grim scene: the tavern is aflame. Patrons are attempting to run from the scene, but a small force of demons are attacking them. Two of the demons--ugly, fat, things--are laughing as they scamper about with torches in hand, frightening customers and producing putrid clouds that fill the room. They keep looking back over their shoulders over a taller, slender demon who sits at the bar sipping a glass of mead, desperate for his approval. He gives them a dismissive wave of apathy, but bolts upright when you enter the room.

"Good evening, gentlemen. Kindly tell me where Aaron is, and I'll only rip out half of your intestines," he snarls with a malicious grin.

OOC: Roll initiative. Map to come.

Noctemwolf
2010-09-27, 04:38 PM
"What...?" Dike readies for battle.

Initiative [roll0] +2 18

Private-Prinny
2010-09-27, 05:11 PM
If we knew where he was, we wouldn't even be here right now. Now just run along, and we all get to stay alive.

Aramis grips his weapon, ready to strike.

Initiative: [roll0]

Keld Denar
2010-09-27, 06:52 PM
Shosden

How about...no.

[roll0]

Trodon
2010-09-27, 10:29 PM
"What do you want with him, Mr.?" Nixeu asks, still gripping the chain.

[roll0]

OMG PONIES
2010-09-28, 03:43 PM
"Simply put?" the slender demon asks, "I want him to suffer."

The two smaller demons break from their fiery revelry and turn towards you. "Here, hummies," they hack and wheeze in eery unison, "we can show them!" The two lesser demons grin from ear to ear, eager to please their superior as they raise their claws and turn towards you.

{table=head]|A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H|I|J
1|__|__|__|__|__|__|__|__|__|__
2|fff|{colsp=9}
bar

3|||1|||fff|||fff|
4|fff|||||||||
5|fff|||||||||
6|fff|||fff||2||||
7|fff||| X ||| X |3||
8|||||||fff|||fff
9|| X ||||||| X |
10|fff|||||||||[/table]

LEGEND:
1, 2, 3= demons
fff= fire (A4-A7 is a fireplace)
X= table and chairs (can move through as difficult terrain with Jump checks)

Knowledge: religion checks may identify these demons. Please place yourselves in C9-H10. The hallway leading to your rooms is off the map in what would be E11-F11, and the doors leading out of the establishment are on the right edge of J5-J6. As mentioned in the OOC thread, we will be using a minor variation of Saph's group initiative rules (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110323). For this combat, you all have higher initiative than the monsters, so take your first turn whenever you're ready.

Noctemwolf
2010-09-28, 07:20 PM
Dike moves foward, toward the nearest demon. "No matter what I think of Aaron, you still cannot burn this place down. Leave at once!"

Move action: Dike (Standing in square H10) Moves to square H6, tumbling past demon 3
Tumble check: [roll0]
Standard action: Unarmed strike with Stunning fist added in
Attack roll [roll1]
Damage Roll [roll2]
DC for stunning fist: 15
Well crap... I certainly didn't hit him. Can anyone come flank this thing? Please? =P

Keld Denar
2010-09-28, 07:36 PM
Shosden

Hefting his cudgel, Shosden invokes the might of the Cudgel of St Cuthbert.

Cast Brambles on his great club, move to F8.

Trodon
2010-09-28, 08:47 PM
"Why do you want him to suffer, what has he done to you?" Nixeu holds his hand toward the demon sitting at the bar. "MyStYHuStNiUnRaK HuEAn!" After he speaks, a fiery ray springs from Nixeu's hand flying at the demon.

Nixeu is standing in C10, casting Scorching Ray. [roll0]

Critical
2010-09-29, 06:17 AM
With a loud, horrifying roar, Predator charges at one of the demons, absolutely unarmed. However, on his way, his visor started opening... With an illithid-like tentacle? He certainly wasn't an illithid, though... As he reached his destination, three more tentacles came out, attempting to grab the poor demon by the head.

Starting in F9, using Psionic Lion's charge for 3 power points, 4 tentacle attacks at the 2nd demon.

[roll0]; [roll1]
[roll2]; [roll3]
[roll4]; [roll5]
[roll6]; [roll7]

If any hit, grapple check as per improved grab on the tentacles, +3 modifier on them. 1d6+3 on the grapple checks due to armor spikes, if you do apporve the question in OoC thread.

Private-Prinny
2010-09-29, 02:33 PM
Aramis notes Dike's struggle, lashing out with a flash from his polearm.

Move Action:Move to H9
Free Action: Knowledge Devotion check (17, from OoC thread)
Free Action: Quick Cast True Strike
Standard Action: Attack Demon 3 with a channeled Shocking Grasp, Power Attacking for 5.
Attack Roll: [roll0] (No BAB left, +3 Str, +20 TS, +2 KD, +2 flank)
Damage Roll (Weapon): [roll1]
Damage Roll (Shocking Grasp): [roll2]

OMG PONIES
2010-09-29, 04:55 PM
Predator tears into the room with tentacles poking from his visor. The long appendages eagerly choke one of the lesser demons, who crumples dead in Predator's clutches. Likewise, Aramis' blade strikes the soft tissue of the other dretch's neck, chopping off its arm. The creature squeals in pain, but its throat fills with blood that drowns out its cries as it dies.

The demon by the bar smirks. "You are well-trained. Naturally, we are a step ahead." He snaps his fingers, and a small flying demon appears out of nowhere. "Just because you can't always see us," the lead demon mutters, "doesn't mean we're not real." The flying demon in the center of the room lets out a chilling shriek, and you must all fight to retain composure. Suddenly, three more flying demons materialize, scratching at Shosden, Predator, and Dike with their claws. With another snap from their leader, all of the demons go silent, and the room is bathed in shadows.

1|__|__|__|__|__|__|__|__|__|__
2|fff|{colsp=9}
bar

3||||||fff|d1|d|fff|
4|fff||||d|d|d|d|d|d
5|fff||||d|d|d|d|d|d
6|fff|||dfff|dq1|d|d|dDq4|d|d
7|fff|||dX |d|dPq3|dX |d|d|d
8|||||d|dSq2|dfff|d|d|dfffd
9|| X |||d|d|d|dA|dX |
10|fff||N||||d|d||[/table]

LEGEND:
1, 2, 3= demons
q1-4=demons
N=Nixeu
D=Dike
P=Predator
S=Shosden
A=Aramis
d= Darkness (20% miss chance from concealment)

Aramis, as these other demons come into view, you identify them as quasits, cowardly scouts of the demon world. You remember reading in an old medical text that their claws are rumored to be poisonous. These quasits are tiny, which is why they are sharing a space with some of our party members. Since they entered your space while invisible, they did not provoke attacks of opportunity.

Shosden: 1 damage, Fort save (DC 13) or 1 DEX damage
Dike: 1 damage, Fort save (DC 13) or 2 DEX damage

The party's initiative is up--you are free to post in whatever order you see fit.

ROLLS:
[roll0] Q2 vs Shosden
[roll1] Q3 vs Predator
[roll2] Q4 vs Dike
[roll3] Q2 Damage
[roll4] Q3 Damage
[roll5] Q4 Damage
[roll6] Shosden DEX damage
[roll7] Predator DEX damage
[roll8] Dike DEX damage

Keld Denar
2010-09-29, 07:58 PM
Shosden

Shosden slams his cudgel into the offending creature.

Activate Law Devotion for AC, PA for 2
[roll0] [roll1]

Conditions

Stats
HP: 42/43
AC/Touch/FF: 22/13/22
F/R/W: +8/+3/+9
Active Effects: Bull Str (4.8 min remaining), Law Devotion(AC) (10 rounds), Brambles (4 rounds)

Noctemwolf
2010-09-29, 08:42 PM
"Gah!" was all that came from Dike as the darkness settled over the group, clouding their sight. Unable to distinguish what was going on, and feeling his body stiffen and slow in response to the monsters attack, he quickly backed away from the darkness to gain a hopeful advantage.

Activates his ring's invisibility as a standard action; move action to H1 (Jump check over the bar)
jump check:
[roll0] +17 [25]
Move silently: [roll1] +1 [14]

Critical
2010-09-30, 06:45 AM
Predator laughs with an evil laugh, and whispers silently to himself, with a smile on his face: "Food." With that, he attempted to finish off the poor little demon.

5-foot step to F5, full attack on the q3 guy. Rolling concealment as such: higher than 20 - success.

[roll0] ; [roll1] ; [roll2]
[roll3] ; [roll4] ; [roll5]
[roll6] ; [roll7] ; [roll8]
[roll9] ; [roll10] ; [roll11]

Improved grab still working, +3 modifier on it.

Private-Prinny
2010-09-30, 05:19 PM
Enough of this.

Move to G5
Attack Demon 1, Power Attacking for 2.

Attack Roll: [roll]1d20+8
Damage (if hit): [roll0]

Trodon
2010-09-30, 07:35 PM
"VehAf VACCAGo!" Nixeu points at the same demon, as three missiles of magical energy fly and hit it.

Casting magic missile. [roll0]

OMG PONIES
2010-10-01, 01:54 PM
Dike: 4 damage, Fortitude save DC 13 or take 1 DEX damage from poisoned claws.
Aramis: 12 damage. Your weapon takes 4 acid damage, which hardness does not reduce. Shaken (http://dndsrd.net/abilitiesAndConditions.html#shaken) for one round, Will save DC 11 or be frightened (http://dndsrd.net/abilitiesAndConditions.html#frightened) instead (same duration).
Predator: Shaken (http://dndsrd.net/abilitiesAndConditions.html#shaken) for one round, Will save DC 11 or be frightened (http://dndsrd.net/abilitiesAndConditions.html#frightened) instead (same duration).
Shosden: 2 damage, Fortitude save DC 13 or take 3 DEX damage. Shaken (http://dndsrd.net/abilitiesAndConditions.html#shaken) for one round, Will save DC 11 or be frightened (http://dndsrd.net/abilitiesAndConditions.html#frightened) instead (same duration).
Nixeu: Shaken (http://dndsrd.net/abilitiesAndConditions.html#shaken) for one round, Will save DC 11 or be frightened (http://dndsrd.net/abilitiesAndConditions.html#frightened) instead (same duration). You are entitled to an attack of opportunity against Q1 if you have a melee weapon.

The fire spreads, setting the tables and chairs alight. Predator's tentacles make short work of yet another demon, as the quasit that attacked him falls dead beneath his tentacles. The one buzzing around Dike claws wildly at the air as the monk disappears and scurries away, managing to cut a gash in his shoulder. As he jumps the bar, it feels hot to the touch, and he smells smoke. Shosden can't manage to land a hit, but both Nixeu and Aramis cause the large demon by the bar some pain.

The demon that attacked Dike flaps away and lets out a vicious shriek, one that rattles the bones of the rest of the party. The demon that had attacked Shosden continues to claw at him furiously, managing to connect with a poisoned claw and a bite. Another flies straight towards Nixeu, claw stretched forward. However, the little demon's charge misses.

The babau takes a single step forward and grins madly at Aramis. "Hitting once is good," it whispers, "but I think thrice is nice." The demon grabs Aramis by the shoulders, stabbing into them with its claws. Licking its lips, it takes a bite from the duskblade's arm.

1|fff|__|__|__|__|__|__|D |__|__
2|fff|{colsp=9}
bar

3|||||fff|fff|d|d|fff|fff
4|fff||||d|d|d1|d|d|d
5|fff||||d|d|dA|d|d|d
6|fff|||dff|d|dP|d|dq4|d|d
7|fff|||dfXf|d|d|dfXf|d|d|d
8|||||d|dSq2|dfff|d|d|dfffd
9||fXf|||d|d|d|d|dfXf|
10|fff||Nq1||||d|d||[/table]

LEGEND:
1= babau
q1-4=demons
N=Nixeu
D=Dike
P=Predator
S=Shosden
A=Aramis

In case it wasn't clear, the fire is spreading. Each round, it will continue one square in the same direction. I know real fire would fan out in all directions, but that would make this very fiery very quick. However, if you'd rather have this for the sake of "realism" or somesuch, let me know. Also, Dike, that bar will go up in flames at some point. I just wanted to give you fair warning.
ROLLS (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9461777&postcount=1814)ROLLS (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9461847&postcount=1815)ROLLS (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9461878&postcount=1816)ROLLS (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9461900&postcount=1817)ROLLS (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9461907&postcount=1818)ROLLS (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9461931&postcount=1819)

Keld Denar
2010-10-01, 03:12 PM
Shosden

Frustrated by the stinging quasit, Shosdem swings again before moving up toward Aramis.

No PA.
[roll=Attack]1d20+9]/roll] [roll0] [roll1] Screwed up, but I missed the miss chance anyway. FDSGDFSGDFHGNJGGSDH!!!!!

Stats

Stats
HP: 40/43
AC/Touch/FF: 20/11/22
F/R/W: +8/+1/+9
Active Effects: Bull Str (4.7 min remaining), Law Devotion(AC) (9 rounds), Brambles (3 rounds), Shaken (1 round), 3 Dex Damage (10 rounds to save)

Noctemwolf
2010-10-02, 10:30 AM
Though Frustrated by the darkness now engulfing the battlefield, Dike begins to panic as he notices the fire begining to spread.

"Guys, the place is burning down! We need to get out of here! Now!"

He sincerely wanted to leave, and it was because he feared for his life in this battle. He wasn't one to back down from a fight, but these... these were no ordinary creatures. They were demons, and they had come for Aaron.

What did he care, anyway? This place was a rich man's hovel. Let them worry about it.

2 move actions: move to c9 (jumping once over the bar)
Jump: [roll0]

Noctemwolf
2010-10-02, 10:34 AM
Forgot my Fortitude save.
[roll0]

Private-Prinny
2010-10-05, 08:49 PM
The tiefling grits his teeth as the demon connects his blow.

Screw this, it's not worth defending that secretive bastard.

Withdraw, moving 60' towards the door, whichever direction that may be.

Critical
2010-10-05, 11:40 PM
"Indeed." - Predator added to the Aramis, following the tiefling's example and retreating, much faster, though.

Run action towards the door! :smalltongue:

OMG PONIES
2010-10-18, 10:44 AM
Dike: 2 damage, Fortitude DC 13 or take 3 DEX damage. Shaken for 1 round, Will DC 11 or be frightened.
Shosden: Shaken for 1 round, Will DC 11 or be frightened.

The tiny demon tears into Nixeu, rending the scales from his flesh and causing the dragonborn to slump to the floor. Aramis and Predator both dart towards the door, flinging it open to fresh light of day. Meanwhile, Dike and Shosden find themselves fighting off not only demons, but the growing heat as well. The bar bursts into flames, and the remaining demons close in on the heroes left behind. The larger demon smirks, mutters something under his breath, and attempts to unravel the protective spells surrounding Shosden.

The quasit attacking Shosden continues, while the others flap towards Dike. The one that felled Nixeu attacks the monk viciously, while its partner shrieks, causing Dike and Shosden to shake with fear. The fire continues to spread, and consumes the entire bar. The taller demon cackles and shouts, "Burn! Burn! Watch the Dolphin burn!"

1|fff|fff|__|__|__|__|__||__|__
2|fff|{colsp=9}
ffffffffffffffffffbarffffffffffffffffff

3||||fff|fff|fff|d|d|fff|fff
4|fff||||d|d|d1|d|d|fdf
5|fff||||d|d|d|d|d|dA
6|fff|||dff|d|d|fdf|dq4|d|dP
7|fff|||dfXf|d|d|dfXf|d|d|d
8|||fff|fff|d|dSq2|dfff|d|d|dfffd
9||fXf|Dq1||d|d|d|d|dfXf|
10|fff||||||d|fdf||[/table]

LEGEND:
1= babau
q1-4=demons
N=Nixeu
D=Dike
P=Predator
S=Shosden
A=Aramis

OOC: It is now the party's initiative.

OMG PONIES
2010-10-18, 02:52 PM
ROLLS

[roll0] vs Bull's Strength
[roll1] vs Law Devotion
[roll2] vs any other spell I may have missed.
[roll3] Quasit 1 claw 1 vs. Dike
[roll4] Quasit 1 claw 2 vs. Dike
[roll5] Quasit 1 bite vs. Dike
[roll6] Quasit 1 claw 1 damage
[roll7] Quasit 1 claw 2 damage
[roll8] Quasit 1 claw 1 initial DEX damage
[roll9] Quasit 1 claw 2 initial DEX damage
[roll10] Quasit 1 bite damage
[roll11] Quasit 2 claw 1 vs. Shosden
[roll12] Quasit 2 claw 2 vs. Shosden
[roll13] Quasit 2 bite vs. Shosden
[roll14] Quasit 2 claw 1 miss chance (1-20 miss)
[roll15] Quasit 2 claw 2 miss chance (1-20 miss)
[roll16] Quasit 2 bite miss chance (1-20 miss)
[roll17] Quasit 2 claw 1 damage
[roll18] Quasit 2 claw 2 damage
[roll19] Quasit 2 claw 1 initial DEX damage
[roll20] Quasit 2 claw 2 initial DEX damage
[roll21] Quasit 2 bite damage

Noctemwolf
2010-10-26, 06:27 PM
"D-Damn it..." Dikie Whispered as he felt the Demon tearing into his flesh, and feeling his body seize up even more.

"Get away from me!" He growls, before launching an assault on the Quasit.

Full attack on the Quasit, flurry of blows.
rolls:
[roll0] +5 +2 [26]
[roll1] +5 +2 [25]

Noctemwolf
2010-10-26, 06:30 PM
Damage Rolls:
[roll0] +3 [11]
[roll1] +3 [8]