PDA

View Full Version : Following the tradition of the fixed list casters: The Spellshifter (3.5)

Frog Dragon
2010-07-29, 09:54 AM
Spellshifter
People change. The world changes. Life changes as it moves along. In the mind of a spellshifter, magic changes too. And magic brings change. The spellshifter's power is to change things. A spellshifter changes herself, her allies, her enemies, until the result is satisfactory. Many spellshifters are chaotic in nature.

HD: d6

Spellshifter
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|0lvl|1st|2nd|3rd|4th|5th|6th|7th|8th| 9th

1st|
+0|
+0|
+0|
+2|Armored Mage, Preserving Change +1|5|3

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+3|Powerful Shift +2|6|4|-

3rd|
+1|
+1|
+1|
+3|Force Shift 1/day|6|5|-|-

4th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4|Advanced Learning|6|6|3|-|-

5th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4|Preserving Change +2|6|6|4|-|-|-

6th|
+3|
+2|
+2|
+5|Change Intuition|6|6|5|3|-|-|-

7th|
+3|
+2|
+2|
+5|Force Shift 2/day|6|6|6|4|-|-|-|-

8th|
+4|
+2|
+2|
+6|Advanced Learning|6|6|6|5|3|-|-|-|-|-

9th|
+4|
+3|
+3|
+6|Preserving Change +3|6|6|6|6|4|-|-|-|-|-

10th|
+5|
+3|
+3|
+7|Face of Change|6|6|6|6|5|3|-|-|-|-

11th|
+5|
+3|
+3|
+7|Force Shift 3/day|6|6|6|6|6|4|-|-|-|-

12th|
+6/+1|
+4|
+4|
+8|Advanced Learning|6|6|6|6|6|5|3|-|-|-

13th|
+6/+1|
+4|
+4|
+8|Preserving Change +4|6|6|6|6|6|6|4|-|-|-

14th|
+7/+2|
+4|
+4|
+9|Powerful Shift +4|6|6|6|6|6|6|5|3|-|-

15th|
+7/+2|
+5|
+5|
+9|Force Shift 4/day|6|6|6|6|6|6|6|4|-|-

16th|
+8/+3|
+5|
+5|
+10|Advanced Learning|6|6|6|6|6|6|6|5|3|-

17th|
+8/+3|
+5|
+5|
+10|Preserving Change +5|6|6|6|6|6|6|6|6|4|-

18th|
+9/+4|
+6|
+6|
+11||6|6|6|6|6|6|6|6|5|3

19th|
+9/+4|
+6|
+6|
+11|Force Shift 5/day|6|6|6|6|6|6|6|6|6|4

20th|
+10/+5|
+6|
+6|
+12|Advanced Learning, Shifter's Nature|6|6|6|6|6|6|6|6|6|5[/table]

Skill Points: A Spellshifter gains 2 skill points per level+intelligence modifier. Quadruple amount at first level
Class Skills: The class skills for a Spellshifter are as follows; Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), and Spellcraft (Int)

Weapon&Armor Proficiencies: A Spellshifter is proficient with all simple weapons, light armor, and no shields.

Spellcasting
A Spellshifter has a list of spells she can cast from spontaneously, like a sorcerer. Any spell from the list can be cast, as long as the Spellshifter is high enough level to cast the spell. The DC:s for a Spellshifter's spells are 10+Spell level+Cha Modifier of the Spellshifter. A Spellshifter gains bonus spells based on charisma.

Armored Mage
The Spellshifter may cast spells she knows as spellshifter spells in light armor with no spell failure chance.

Preserving Change
"What good is anything if it doesn't last long enough for anyone to see it?"
The spellshifter gains the indicated bonus to her caster level for the purpose of the duration of any transmutation spell she casts.

Powerful Shift
The Spellshifter adds the indicated number to any one ability bonus granted by a transmutation spell she casts. This does not stack with the Ability Enhancer feat from the Dragon Compendium.

Change Intuition
"Could do it myself. I know this stuff."
While spellshifters aren't normally that good with magic theory or recognizing magic, they can see where change has been hurried.
A spell can recognize any transmutation school or metacreativity discipline spell or power as long has some sort of component or display. She can also recognize any transmutation aura.

Force Shift
"Change must happen."
Spellshifters may force change to happen. The indicated times per day, they may have one spell ignore spell resistance entirely or gain a +2 to the save DC of one spell.

Face of Change
If everything changes, so can the spellshifter. This works like the spell, Disguise Self except that the spellshifter make small physical alterations to her body, but not her possessions. This ability functions at will.

Advanced Learning
The spellshifter may add any transmutation spell to her spell list, assuming he is high level enough to cast it. The spell must be found on the sorcerer/wizard spell list.

Shifter's Nature
For the purpose of harmful spells, spell-like abilities and supernatural abilities, the spellshifter counts as whatever type (but not subtype) would be most advantageous to her at the moment, excepting the undead and construct types.

Spellshifter Spell List
Level 0
Mending, Mage Hand, Message, Stick*, Repair Minor Damage*
Level 1
Animate Rope, Enlarge Person, Erase, Feather Fall, Magic Fang, Magic Weapon, Reduce Person, Expeditious Retreat, Fist of Stone*, Cutting Hand* Ebony Eyes*, Ray of Clumsiness*, Nerveskitter*, Repair Light Damage*.
Level 2
Alter Self, Bear's Endurance, Bull's Strength, Cat's Grace, Spiderclimb, Darkvision, Fox's Cunning, Owl's Wisdom, Eagle's Splendor, Levitate, Swift Fly*, Belker Claws*, Earthen Grasp*, Repair Moderate Damage*, Lively Step*, Bite of the Wererat*, Whirling Blade*
Level 3
Fly, Haste, Slow, Greater Magic Fang, Greater Magic Weapon, Blink, Flame Arrow, Keen Edge, Water Breathing, Air Breathing*, Attune Form*, Primal Form*, Diamondsteel*, Girallon's Blessing*, Repair Serious Damage*, Stony Grasp*, Bite of the Werewolf*, Tremorsense*, Weapon of Impact*
Level 4
Polymorph, Mass Enlarge Person, Mass Reduce Person, Stone Shape, Flame Whips*, Repair Critical Damage*, Bite of the Wereboar*
Level 5
Transmute Mud to Rock, Transmute Rock to Mud, Animal Growth, Baleful Polymorph, Overland Flight, Passwall, Telekinesis, Greater Blink*, Greater Enlarge Person*, Greater Reduce Person*, Mass Fly*, Vulnerability*, Bite of the Weretiger*
Level 6
Mass Bear's Endurance, Mass Cat's Grace, Mass Bull's Strength, Mass Eagle's Splendor, Mass Owl's Wisdom, Mass Fox's Cunning, Disintegrate, Flesh to Stone, Stone to Flesh, Move Earth, Bite of the Werebear*, Control Water, Make Manifest*, Stone Body*
Level 7
Control Weather, Ethereal Jaunt, Statue, Reverse Gravity, Body of War*, Greater Stone Shape*
Level 8
Iron Body, Polymorph Any Object, Ghostform*, Mass Make Manifest*
Level 9
Shapechange, Etherealness, Undermaster*, Transmute Rock to Lava*

*From the Spell Compendium
For the purpose of Giant's (http://www.giantitp.com/articles/dC21fDHZ4tK8n5OjUm9.html) Polymorph (http://www.giantitp.com/articles/PbpHATjPkec7E82kEmo.html) the Spellshifter has all the spells detailed in those articles at the earliest spell level any class would gain the spells.

The transmutation fixed list caster has come. I already made the Seer (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=158308), which handles Abjuration and Divination so all that is needed now is the conjuration version.
This is quite powerful, but I'd say that is mostly because the school of transmutation is powerful. I'll have to see where the conjuration one ends up.
Anyway, PEACH requested. :smallsmile:

cooperflood
2010-07-29, 12:37 PM
This is a a very powerful class, but as you say it's primarily because Transmutation rocks hard.

Skills
4 Skill points per level, but only 6 class skills?

Spell List
I like the spell list it seems to cover most of the basics with out giving out too much. I'm not sure about the Repair X damage spells though, they don't really seem a good fit for the class.

Class Abilities
Preserving Change: I this ability. Good fit thematically, solid mechanically
Bonus Feats and Sudden Change: These two class features are hefty mechanical boost for a class that doesn't need them. Do you really want a full cast being able to cast Polymorph as a swift action 3 times per day at 10th level? Even worse they provide no thematic benefits what so ever. Leave the bonus feats to the wizards and give me something special/unique.
Spellshaping: Don't mess with metamagic reducers it almost always ends up being too OP. Again no thematic connection.

Conclusion
I love thematic spellcasters (I play Beguilers a lot), but this one still needs some work. The spell list is nice, but the class features fell flat for me.

P.S. You said you wanted to do a Conjurer. Have you seen Frank and K's Summoner (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Summoner_(3.5e_Class))?

Frog Dragon
2010-07-29, 12:57 PM
I'd drop the feats and swift shifter if I had a proper replacement. That many dead levels isn't good.
Skills points dropped to 2.

Frog Dragon
2010-07-30, 06:13 AM
I dropped the abilities. New ones needed. Ideas?
Added Change Intuition, but need moar. I still need something for levels 7, 11, 15 and 19. Also a capstone. Those levels because they are the only dead levels left that don't land you a new level of spells.
Edited Change Intuition to level 6 and added Force Shift. Just need a capstone now.
Also, that summoner looks very good. I might just steal that instead of making a conjurer.

jiriku
2010-07-30, 09:41 AM
I would imagine a class focused on change might have Perform as a class skill. I can't really find a reason why, it just feels right for some reason.

Change Intuition might more appropriately involve a Spellcraft check, as some changes are obvious and easy to see (that statue is someone who's been affected by stone to flesh!) and some is not (that tree was originally a quarterstaff before someone polymorphed it!). How about the ability to also make a Spellcraft check to identify if an object has been subjected to an instantaneous transmutation?

How about the ability to squeeze an extra +2 out of the various transmutation spells that grant enhancement bonuses to your ability scores (only on one stat for spells like bite of x that enhance several stats)?

How about cherry-picking some minor class abilities from some of the other classes, like the Thousand Faces ability of the druid?

Frog Dragon
2010-07-30, 10:12 AM
Face of Change added. It's basically Thousand Faces with a name change.
Perform added as a class skill.
I'd make it a spellcraft check, but what would be the DC?
Also. Apparently you could already do that with a decent spellcraft mod.
"20 + spell level Identify a spell that’s already in place and in effect. You must be able to see or detect the effects of the spell. No action required. No retry.
20 + spell level Identify materials created or shaped by magic, such as noting that an iron wall is the result of a wall of iron spell. No action required. No retry."
Basically the same thing. To keep this thing's value, might as well keep it automatic.
Edit: Also, I'm pretty sure you meant Flesh to Stone in your example there. :smalltongue:
Edit: And we have a captstone. Essentially, it's a load of fun immunities.

Zaydos
2010-07-30, 02:00 PM
Force Shift could get dangerous with save jacking on SoD transmutations (and really Flesh to Stone and Baleful Polymorph are SoD) but seems acceptable.
As for the capstone on first reading I didn't like it, but on thinking over the full implications of its limitations it seems really good.
I'd also say give them so way to increase the +X enhancement bonuses spells give; there's a feat in the Dragon Magazine Compendium that does just that and would work for all the stats with Bite of the X so maybe it as a bonus feat or even an improved version.

As for the spell-list:
I miss Draconic Polymorph a bit, but can understand multiple reasons it's not there and you can get it with Advanced Learning if you really want it.
I might give them the Bite of X spells at the same level as a druid gets them. A druid can use them better and wizards tend to have better things to do with spells of that level.

Frog Dragon
2010-07-30, 02:27 PM
Powerful Shift added. This should be about done now.

Zaydos
2010-07-30, 02:36 PM
I like it. At low levels its a minor boost to the Animal's attribute spells, at mid-levels it keeps them relevant with gloves of Dex and the like, and at high levels it makes them usable (although not worth the in combat action) when you have Belt of Giant Strength +6 on your fighter. Although I'd have just let it stack with the feat; then again that might get a little much at 3rd level when it is most useful.