PDA

View Full Version : A new adventure

Midnight Son
2010-08-02, 11:17 AM
I just started my new career as a truck driver. I started driving Thursday last week and am now in Southern California. Headed to Iowa next. Gimme a honk and a wave as you pass me on the highways of this great land.

Mr. Mud
2010-08-02, 11:18 AM
But what's going to happen to the awesome bike? :smalleek:

Congratz Mid <3

pendell
2010-08-02, 11:19 AM
May I ask how you made this career switch? Sounds interesting!

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Midnight Son
2010-08-02, 06:37 PM
After I quit Fidelity, I was looking to start a pizza place, but needed some school first. Unfortunately, that was right about the time the economy tanked, and, while I'm a brave soul, I'm not about to start a new business in this economy. So I started looking for work, and not having any luck. Ended up at Target in Utah. Shortly after that, I got myself engaged to the gorgeous Phoenixineohp, and transferred to Michigan so I could live closer to her. The Target there was horrible, so I started looking for a new job (yeah, I know...in Michigan!). I actually found work for a landscaping company, but that fell through the last day of my two weeks notice and I found myself unemployed again. About the same time, my sister had lost her job and was going to school with Truckmaster. She suggested that I look into it. After I had quit Fidelity, I had taken a 2 month motorcycle tour of the US and loved it. I thought about it and figured doing so in a truck would be just about as much fun. Then I discussed it with Phoenix and, despite some dislike of being apart so long, we decided it would be the best plan. So I took a month long class to get my CDL and am now with a trainer at Stevens Transport.

Erloas
2010-08-02, 06:58 PM
Well, if you're driving takes you across the country on I-80 (and a lot of truckers do) you'll pass right by me. I'm in the little bit of city by the tunnel on I-80 (its the only tunnel on the 3000ish miles of the interstate), its in southwest Wyoming.

phoenixineohp
2010-08-02, 11:06 PM
That's a heck of a summary of the last two YEARS. :smalleek:

arguskos
2010-08-02, 11:09 PM
If ya stop in Columbus, OH via I-70 or I-71, lemme know, and I'll meet up with you or something, give you a few hints on decent places to chow. :smallcool:

Also, I was thinking about trying the trucker life. Not sure about it. Keep us posted, yeah?

Moff Chumley
2010-08-02, 11:57 PM
I could only pull of trucking if they let me upgrade the sound system...

Serpentine
2010-08-03, 12:30 AM
IT'S DOUBLEPHOENIX! I was about to ask where you've been all this time, but apparently the answer is "getting engaged". Took you a while, though...

Interesting choice, Sonny-Jim. Whom I also haven't seen for ages. Make sure you always get the sleep you need! Don't crash!

Zeb The Troll
2010-08-03, 02:09 AM
MS! And PxP! Good to hear from you guys! :biggrin:

If your trucking ever brings you near our area, we'll be very put out if you can't stop in long enough to let us take you to dinner or something. Just sayin'. :smallcool:

smellie_hippie
2010-08-03, 06:04 AM
If your trucking ever brings you near our area, we'll be very put out if you can't stop in long enough to let us take you to dinner or something. Just sayin'. :smallcool:

That goes for the East TN area as well... :smallamused:

Lord Herman
2010-08-03, 07:22 AM
Good luck with your new career, Midnight Son! I hope it works out well for you. :smallsmile:

pendell
2010-08-03, 10:37 AM
Did you have to take a physical examination of some kind? My understanding is that you can be denied a CDL if you have certain medical conditions. True?

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Serpentine
2010-08-03, 11:04 AM
I had to get a physical for my library assistant jobs, so I wouldn't be surprised.

ForzaFiori
2010-08-03, 01:15 PM
I'll be sure to give you a wave if your ever in Upstate SC, though you'd have to give me some warning before hand.

Syka
2010-08-03, 01:35 PM
I'll be looking for a Stevens Transport truck in Florida. :)

Also, if you have any nieces/nephews/friends with children in the 8-15 range, I totally recommend letting them come with you if you are up to it (and allowed). One of my mom's friends was able to take us with them on a trip from Georgia to California and back when I was about 11. Him and his partner had done it with his partner's kids a month or so before. It was unforgettable. Fast (took all of a week), but unforgettable. I still have a bag of sand I picked up in the Mojave desert during the Fourth of July. :smallsmile: One of my coworkers has a friend who trucks, and was able to let her daughter ride in it.

Also also, if you want to eventually open a business...do it someday! A local burger joint opened about 6 months ago here and they are fantastic- and doing well fiscally.

Also also also, congrats to both of y'all on the pending nuptials. :smallwink:

Midnight Son
2010-08-03, 11:01 PM
Headed to Iowa right now. Can't give too many details, for security's sake, but rest assured, I shall be contacting some of you all if/when I get into your area. I don't have a lot of leeway for personal visits while with the trainer, but once that's done, short visits are quite acceptable.

As for the hiring. I had to go through a very thorough physical, and an equally thorough background check. There are definitely some things that can keep you from driving professionally. I had to get myself some glasses. If you haven't seen them in the You Thread, here's a pic...
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a122/Dwarf71/Graduation-1.jpg
I'll be getting some pics on the road with the truck and such too, but haven't taken the time to do so yet.

Midnight Son
2010-08-06, 02:13 PM
...Aaand back to California we go. Wheeeee! I love this job! Only thing that could make it better would be a Phoenix by my side.