PDA

View Full Version : [3.5/PF] Missable magic missile

Rixx
2010-08-02, 11:49 PM
I was wondering - if one were to take away a magic missile's ability to automatically hit, what would be a decent tradeoff in terms of increased damage? I'm somewhat interested in having a sorcerer who can shoot bolts of force, but having them be fast-traveling projectiles rather than the winding magical bolts they usually are.

I'm guessing it would be a ranged touch attack with a relatively large range increment, but it would still have the normal range limits of a typical magic missile. Before I delve into this, has anyone else tried anything similar?

Krazddndfreek
2010-08-02, 11:54 PM
Wizards sorta did. (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/sb/sb20001001a)

EDIT: Although its a little weak, they should've increased the damage a little higher.

Rixx
2010-08-03, 12:00 AM
Yeah, plus it allows a save instead of requiring an attack roll...

Does this sound reasonable?

Magic Bolt: 1d8+2 per bolt, but requires a ranged touch attack (range increment 50) - behaves as magic missile in all other ways. Trade unfailing hit for 3 more damage per missile.

Krazddndfreek
2010-08-03, 12:05 AM
Looks good to me, I probably would have made it 1d8+1 but I'm not the best homebrewer ever.

Rixx
2010-08-03, 12:05 AM
1d8+1 actually makes a bit more sense anyhow.

wormwood
2010-08-03, 07:33 AM
I have to agree that 1d8+1 is rather high for a 1st level spell that will most likely hit. That'll one-shot damn near everything you'll be fighting at that level. That isn't necessarily a bad thing, as a fighter can do better, but do casters really need another edge at low levels?

Mongoose87
2010-08-03, 07:42 AM
I have to agree that 1d8+1 is rather high for a 1st level spell that will most likely hit. That'll one-shot damn near everything you'll be fighting at that level. That isn't necessarily a bad thing, as a fighter can do better, but do casters really need another edge at low levels?

But, just how much hitting is a Wizard with 0 BaB and probably not that much Dex doign at level 1?

Earthwalker
2010-08-03, 08:26 AM
Not sure if this matter, but making this a ranged touch attack not an auto hit, or a save for half does mean that it can add on sneak attack dice.

Not sure if that should effect the damage or not of the base spell.

Beelzebub1111
2010-08-03, 08:34 AM
What' you're looking for is called "Lesser Orb of Force"

Kylarra
2010-08-03, 08:35 AM
It's worth pointing out that it's slightly higher damage than the lesser orbs, which noticeably don't get a force version.

ericgrau
2010-08-03, 12:00 PM
But, just how much hitting is a Wizard with 0 BaB and probably not that much Dex doign at level 1?
Enough that he'll break even at 1d6+1 not 1d8+1. But I always saw the main advantage of magic missile to be the reliability. It's not that great of a spell otherwise. For example if there's cover or an ally is in melee with the foe, the wizard's chances just dropped significantly on that ranged touch attack; enough that you'd need 1d10+1 to break even in these situations. I deleted my original "It should be 1d6+1" post with much math b/c all this made me indecisive on whether or not it should be 1d6+1 or 1d8+1 for the less reliable spell.

Caphi
2010-08-03, 12:03 PM
What' you're looking for is called "Lesser Orb of Force"

Lesser orb of force is a single ranged attack that deals 1d4 damage + 1/2 levels. That's not what he wants.

panaikhan
2010-08-09, 07:12 AM
The spell one of my mages came up with, was a ranged touch attack for 1D4+1 per missile (as per the original Magic Missile) - I just upped the 'extra' missile rate to 1 per level (max still 5, as per normal 1st level spells), and said the mage launched one per round as a swift action.

mangosta71
2010-08-09, 10:53 AM
The spell one of my mages came up with, was a ranged touch attack for 1D4+1 per missile (as per the original Magic Missile) - I just upped the 'extra' missile rate to 1 per level (max still 5, as per normal 1st level spells), and said the mage launched one per round as a swift action.

So, once he reaches level 9, the stock version is completely superior. If it can miss, I'd call it something else. As has been mentioned, the whole appeal of magic missile is that it always hits. There are plenty of other spells that require attack rolls if that's what your players want.

Tyndmyr
2010-08-09, 11:00 AM
Well, they're not called hittles.

In seriousness, there's already plenty of spells that can miss. Magic Missile has a niche for a reason.