PDA

View Full Version : Venomfire Redux (please help with balance)

jiriku
2010-08-05, 06:15 AM
My druid player discovered venomfire, and now he wants to use it. I advised him early and often that the spell isn't appropriately balanced, so he asked me to revise it to a balance point where it is usable. I've got three attempts on the table here; one attempts to preserve the spell at its original level, one that preserves its original effect, and one that attempts to strike a compromise between the two. Thoughts?

Venomfire
Transmutation [Acid]
Level: Druid 3, ranger 4
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: Living creature touched
Duration: 1 hour/level
Saving Throw: Fortitude negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)

You cause the venom of one of the subject's natural weapons to become caustic, dealing 1d6 points of acid damage per use. This spell has no effect on a creature that does not normally produce poison.

Venomfire, Greater
Transmutation [Acid]
Level: Druid 6
Duration: 1 round/level

You cause the venom of one of the subject's natural weapons to become caustic, dealing 1d6 points of acid damage per caster level with each use (to a maximum of 20d6 at caster level 20).
Alternatively, you may transmute the venom of all of the subject's poisonous natural weapons, causing each to deal 2d6 points of acid damage, regardless of your caster level.
This spell has no effect on a creature that does not normally produce poison.

Venomfire, Superior
Transmutation [Acid]
Level: Druid 9
Duration: 1 hour/level

You cause the venom of the subject's natural weapons to become caustic, dealing 1d6 points of acid damage per caster level with each use. This spell has no effect on a creature that does not normally produce poison.