PDA

View Full Version : Custom Class is finished

Sir Yvain
2010-08-05, 05:01 PM
Thanks to everyone on this forum who helped me.

My custom class is finally done, well it has been done for a few days.

And here it is

Plane Hopper (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Plane_Hopper_(3.5e_Class))

Milskidasith
2010-08-05, 05:06 PM
Giving infinite plane shift that works perfectly at level 1 is broken. It's a great one level dip for anybody. Also, I would advise touching up the formatting and posting it here rather than linking.

Sir Yvain
2010-08-05, 06:18 PM
Plane Shift is not particularly useful in combat or even questing for that matter. it is only for flavor and spell preparation. He goes to a plane of his choice to absorb energy. I know he gets unlimited perfect use of a high level spell but it is an impractical and all but useless spell except for flavor.

Sure, he could shift from a dangerous battle and leave his friends to die, but that would not really do anything useful at all. It could also be great for a campaign where you have to travel the planes if a DM chose to make it integral to the plot.

Plot and Flavor are it's only uses really.

He seems really powerful, but he gets VERY FEW combat abilities and runs on power points. He is also a bit squishy (d6 HP) is a little better than a wizard. He is less broken than a Warlock and a Warlock wouldn't really break a game. I am playing with one in the game I am running. It would not suck all the fun out of the game like a Monk would.

PS: Sorry about the format, I will repost the class here.

Milskidasith
2010-08-05, 06:26 PM
All of what you said is irrelevant. As long as you can dip a single level in the class for plane shift, it is broken, because you cannot simply hand out improved versions of high level spells for free. At the very least, it allows semi teleportation by going through planes that let you travel faster due to time or being smaller than the material or whatever.

I did not even read the rest of the class, because A: the first level ability makes it broken (not overpowered, just broken design) and B: the formatting is terrible, especially considering, glancing over it, you don't even know your power points or any of the stats on the table until the end of the class, when that should be in the beginning.

Hyooz
2010-08-05, 06:34 PM
A seventh level spell at will at level 1? Seriously?

I honestly can't figure out why the Baator/Celestia etc. powers are separate from the rest of the Planar Powers.

Once a week might balance Maroon out. Honestly, I really hate powers that are only balanced by restricting their use hugely like that. As is, you're getting a 7th level spell... 4ish levels early, and it is much more versatile than Banishment, to the point of just being a SoD. Also: on the backlash: what kind of damage is this? That's important.

An 8th level spell at level 12? Seriously?

Negative Arrow is at least appropriately placed. Can't really complain.

Same thing for Shooting Star Strike.

Basing Power Points on skill ranks is... I dunno. Why not just give them a normal PP progression? This just feels like a skill point tax for no particular reason.

The extra planar powers... 90% of them are basically worthless. Can I take one more than once? If I can, the ones that grant skill points will just never, ever be taken.

This class is just... so very weird. It doesn't do the warlock thing as well as the warlock does, and it has very, very limited ability to do much beyond that. I have a very limited spell list, and sure most of them are powerful, all it's really good at is doing damage, and it only kind of does that well.

It's got a good skill list?

Milskidasith
2010-08-05, 06:40 PM
Going through the abilities...

Energy Bolt: Its a weaker eldritch blast with no way to improve it that costs a decent chunk of your daily resources. That's... pretty bad.

Energy Resistence: Meh. Not bad, but not great.

Celestia/Baator: Very meh spells, gotten late.

Dispel Evil/Dispel Good: You are stuck with a caster level of five on a dispelling spell you get at level 8. This ability will never be able to do anything.

Maroon: Will Save or Die on anybody is pretty fun, but the first decent thing this gets, and once per week is really, really bad.

Shield of Chaos: Not bad defensively, but not amazing by any means, and it costs resources you may not have.

Finger of Death: Another save or die added on. Not great.

Shooting Star Strike: Meteor swarm? Really? That's the near capstone? I'd prefer finger of death, honestly, because meteor swarm is just me. Also, if abilities work as they normally do with PP, you'd only be dealing 10d6 from each one. Also, saying the only difference between this meteor swarm and the other one is that the meteors are different, fluffwise, is rather silly considering the books specifically say all spells can be refluffed to look like pretty much anything.

Storm of Vengeance: A fairly weak capstone, in all honesty. It just doesn't do much, and it does it over a duration longer than most fights.

Caster level: OK, that makes your dispels better... but caster level including your stat modifier is really, really bad. As in, no class does that, and it makes no sense to change things. Caster levels should be equal to your class level.

Power Points: No need to put a skill tax on things; just give them 2X class level + stat mod +3 power points.

Planar Backlash: You can take more damage than you deal out, save with your capstones, to use them. Not that great, but at least it's something.

Planar powers: The movespeed, save, AC, initiative, and to a lesser degree HP are the only ones worth using. The skill point ones are absolutely worthless, and the +2 to saves against "stuff that uses a will save anyway and I can buy items of immunity to" are, well, strictly weaker than the will save one.

This is weird. It's weak, has very little potential, but gets plane shift at will for a one level dip and gets save or dies a bit early, which doesn't really make it useful, but still shouldn't be done.

Sir Yvain
2010-08-05, 06:45 PM
wait, if you did not read it, how can you dismiss it?

If the spell does not make much of a difference I don't see the problem. The warlock gets unlimited Eldridge Blast and that give him a huge advantage in battle. Yeah it is a high level spell, but is the NUMBER really that important? Isn't how good it is more important. Imagine having unlimited use of say Dancing Lights or Detect magic. Plane Shift is much more POWERFUL than those spells but not really useful. Dimension Door is a much more useful spell and he cannot do that at all. He cannot teleport on the battle field and appear behind an opponent or anything like that. It is more for flavor.

How is what I said irrelevant? Plane Shift was really just for Flavor in him preparing his powers.

Ex. Going to the plane of fire to prepare fire abilities.

I only care about it not being over powered. It may have a broken ELEMENT in it, but again it does not break the game or make it not fun. I am not caught up in the level number because it is not a big deal. Monk is an official class and it kills games.

As for the format, it isn't pretty but I explain everything in detail. It is kind of dismissive to not even read the whole class and see exactly what I am going for. The level of the spell is not necessarily the bottom line. It is a super natural ability and provokes an attack of opportunity.

Still not seeing the problem, or the irrelevance of my defense of the ability. I am not trying to be an instigator or an a**hole here, I am just present my reasonable and well thought out argument.

Of course, you are entitled to your opinion. You don't have to ever allow my class in a game or use it because it is a home brew class. I just feel I need to defend the thing I created as egotistical as this may sound.

I have mulled over the broken nature of this in my head and have personally not found it to be a really huge deal. I took a big liberty, this is true. That is the beauty of home brewing. I really do not see the problem at all.

Sir Yvain
2010-08-05, 06:48 PM
Amending my last post,

The class is not really weak and worthless. It is just specific and has VERY few abilities. His energy beam is the main mode of attack.

He is meant to be a mixed type of class not a really powerful caster.

My question is WHY shouldn't it be done?

Because Levels are Levels?

I go by usefulness

Yeah, the class is really weird, but it is useful at points for taking skills. Half of this is really just flavor I will admit. I don't think the class is that broken. I was meant to be a damage dealer and fun to play as.

It didn't mean it to be the most efficient class. I just wanted to make something different. I am focused on fun and flavor. But I think it is a decent class to play as even though it seems inconsistent with misplaced spells.

Milskidasith
2010-08-05, 06:56 PM
wait, if you did not read it, how can you dismiss it?

Because I posted the giant, massive balance problem with the class that occurs at level 1 before reading through the rest of the abilities?

If the spell does not make much of a difference I don't see the problem. The warlock gets unlimited Eldridge Blast and that give him a huge advantage in battle. Yeah it is a high level spell, but is the NUMBER really that important? Isn't how good it is more important. Imagine having unlimited use of say Dancing Lights or Detect magic. Plane Shift is much more POWERFUL than those spells but not really useful. Dimension Door is a much more useful spell and he cannot do that at all. He cannot teleport on the battle field and appear behind an opponent or anything like that. It is more for flavor.

How is what I said irrelevant? Plane Shift was really just for Flavor in him preparing his powers.

Except plane shifting is very powerful, can bring allies along with you for tactical retreats/full heals on the plane of positive energy, works as a touch attack save or die with a very high DC for level 1, and, again, you can just dip into the class to get the ability; the most useful ability of a class shouldn't come at level 1.

Ex. Going to the plane of fire to prepare fire abilities.

He'd die. Burnt to death and all that.

I only care about it not being over powered. It may have a broken ELEMENT in it, but again it does not break the game or make it not fun. I am not caught up in the level number because it is not a big deal. Monk is an official class and it kills games.

Wait, you think monks are brokenly powerful? Seriously? And yes, having the ability to avoid all combat encounters and getting a very powerful save or die at level 1 that is usable at will is a fairly game breaking ability, even if this class rapidly diminishes in usefulness after that. Broken abilities make for broken classes.

Of course, you are entitled to your opinion. You don't have to ever allow my class in a game or use it because it is a home brew class. I just feel I need to defend the thing I created as egotistical as this may sound.

This is a flaw. You should not "defend" classes. If people see something wrong with your class, fix it, don't argue with them. It's even weirder when you bring up how monks destroy games and don't seem to notice plane shift is a save or die and lets you take your entire party with you; not much fluff when your enemies all suffer death by awesome, DC 17+wis mod, which is, at level 1, near unpassable.

I have mulled over the broken nature of this in my head and have personally not found it to be a really huge deal. I took a big liberty, this is true. That is the beauty of home brewing. I really do not see the problem at all.

There are problems. We are pointing them out. Stop "defending" the class and just honestly listen to what we are saying; we are trying to help.

Also, at high levels, this class is very weak. It has a couple save or die abilities, but it's damage output is distinctly limited and requires a significant investment of your daily resources to do anything, after which it is near useless, and unlike most classes, running out of all of its resources is very likely, although you can always cast from hitpoints and heal in the Positive energy plane.

EDIT: Fun and flavor don't change the fact this has balance problems. The balance problems, do, however, get rid of fun; when, at level 1, you can cast very high save DC save or dies on enemies, never have to worry about damage by just going to the positive enregy plane during fights, and the fact you're doing things that wizards take years to do as a starting adventurer... it messes with both the fun (by being broken at low levels) and flavor (by breaking verisimilitude) of most games.

Hyooz
2010-08-05, 07:08 PM
Oh, geez, I didn't notice that the Bolt Gun cost PP. Per d6 no less.

Infinite Plane Shift at level 1 makes this class broken. The rest of the class just isn't very good. You'll blow through your PP so fast you'll freak, but at that point, you just fall back on sending foes to the Plane of Fire or Negative Energy or something.

Also, as Milskidasith pointed out, you need to look into the effects of being on these various planes. All the planes but the positive energy one will kill you before you attune your Bolt Gun to them, especially at low levels. And hell, the Positive Energy Plane might pop you before you're done. Overheal yourself to death!

For a completely different point: the abilities you get, being basically Wizard spells, kind of make this class boring. Every Plane Hopper is going to look basically identical, and do nothing a wizard couldn't with more alacrity.

Except Plane Shift all day.

Milskidasith
2010-08-05, 07:09 PM
Oh, geez, I didn't notice that the Bolt Gun cost PP. Per d6 no less.

Infinite Plane Shift at level 1 makes this class broken. The rest of the class just isn't very good. You'll blow through your PP so fast you'll freak, but at that point, you just fall back on sending foes to the Plane of Fire or Negative Energy or something.

Also, as Milskidasith pointed out, you need to look into the effects of being on these various planes. All the planes but the positive energy one will kill you before you attune your Bolt Gun to them, especially at low levels.

For a completely different point: the abilities you get, being basically Wizard spells, kind of make this class boring. Every Plane Hopper is going to look basically identical, and do nothing a wizard couldn't with more alacrity.

Except Plane Shift all day.

Positive energy Plane causes death by awesome three rounds after being topped off... it's actually the only plane you can never attune to (without an immunity class feature) because you can't get immunity to being healed, AFAIK, though the class feature is kind of vague.

Sir Yvain
2010-08-05, 07:10 PM
Monks are broken. I'll just say that.

Running away to other planes will help the characters SURVIVE, but that does not mean they'll win. Besides, it only works on him. I forgot to say that. Sure he can run away and SURVIVE, but that is not conducive to team work and would just have your team get seriously pissed off as you let them die.

That being said, how would you suggest increasing the classes stopping power. (Plane Hopping aside. I will make it a once a day thing only so he can prepare his powers. I will seriously just make it for flavor).

How can I balance out the power points and make his damage dealing better? (Though, I do not plan on putting him past epic level, this was just for fun.)

I just want him to be a damage dealer now. Extra Planar Powers are just for fun and not meant to be incredibly powerful. Those are more to give him a VERY little extra boost to his various skills.

Milskidasith
2010-08-05, 07:16 PM

Yeah, no. Monks are weak, not overpowered. Even if you mean "brokenly weak" they still aren't *that* bad; they're weak, sure, but in a party with non caster core classes, they can still be sort of useful.

Running away to other planes will help the characters SURVIVE, but that does not mean they'll win. Besides, it only works on him. I forgot to say that. Sure he can run away and SURVIVE, but that is not conducive to team work and would just have your team get seriously pissed off as you let them die.

Please don't use all-caps. Also, you shouldn't blame us for assuming when you said that you get plane shift, you could use it as plane shift normally can be used (on other targets).

That being said, how would you suggest increasing the classes stopping power. (Plane Hopping aside. I will make it a once a day thing only so he can prepare his powers. I will seriously just make it for flavor).

Reworking it... it's entirely based around casting a very few, very limited application spells and getting plane shift. It needs a total rework to actually be anywhere near warlock power level. Also, if you can only plane hop once per day, you're stuck to wherever you go, and as I've pointed out, you die on any of the planes anyway.

How can I balance out the power points and make his damage dealing better? (Though, I do not plan on putting him past epic level, this was just for fun.)

Rework it entirely. This class is... hard to salvage. It's a weaker eldritch blast that costs resources and a small number of spells that also cost resources. It's neither really unique nor useful.

I just want him to be a damage dealer now. Extra Planar Powers are just for fun and not meant to be incredibly powerful. Those are more to give him a VERY little extra boost to his various skills.

You could probably start by not making his ability to deal damage cap off at a very low number with no way to actually increase the damage and also costing a significant part of his daily resources.

Djinn_in_Tonic

Incorrect, but I won't go into that here.

Planar exploits at level 1 is just nonsense. I'm sorry, but there's just to much that can be done with that ability...instant teleportation, for example. That's just the tip of the iceberg.

Talbot
Monk ARE slightly broken... in that they need some DM help to keep up with most other classes in even a semi-optimized games at higher levels. Not necessarily a bad thing (it's totally possible to have an awesome campaign with both a monk and a wizard, so long as your DM is finding ways to keep the Monk relevant), but there it is.

This class, on the other hand, can Plane Shift at will. At Will SoDs are nigh-impossible to come by, and there's a reason for it. They're SoDs. From reading this thread, it seems like you may not have noticed when other people pointed out that Plane Shift can be used this way (and therein lies the (biggest) problem).

A relatively easy fix (for the level one problem, at least), is that he plane-shifts his bolt-gun to whatever plane, and it returns, attuned, X number of rounds later. That way he still gets the planar arsenal flavor, but without being a Win Button through the first ten levels or so. Just a thought.

Hyooz
2010-08-05, 07:17 PM

Gravity pushes things away from the earth. I'll just say that.

Sir Yvain
2010-08-05, 07:23 PM
I designed this is for D and D 3.5 edition. I've seen 3.5 monks and have found them to be broken. Are you guys talking 4?

I changed the Plane Shifting. Instead he just absorbs energy FROM the planes while still on the Material Plane.

Now about the power points, how can I make it so he doesn't run out really quickly? I still want to keep the same limited spell set, but how can I increase the energy bolt damage?

Milskidasith
2010-08-05, 07:26 PM
I designed this is for D and D 3.5 edition. I've seen 3.5 monks and have found them to be broken. Are you guys talking 4?

I changed the Plane Shifting. Instead he just absorbs energy FROM the planes while still on the Material Plane.

Now about the power points, how can I make it so he doesn't run out really quickly? I still want to keep the same limited spell set, but how can I increase the energy bolt damage?

Make it a psion.

Refluff things.

There. You've got your planar adept right there.

Also, in 3.5e, monks are bad. They're squarely T5 (out of six, T6 being stuff such as commoner and warrior), and have many non synergistic abilities with meh BAB on a melee class.

Sir Yvain
2010-08-05, 07:32 PM
How do Psionic power points work?

If i keep the energy bolt the same, will that provide enough power points to not run out super fast?

Also, can I give him unlimited plane hop at 20th level?

DEMON
2010-08-05, 07:35 PM

No, they are talking 3.5, too. Monks do seem broken, might even appear so in certain games, but are not, really, in groups of really experienced players, who play their (non-monk) characters to the best of their abilities.

On-topic: I have to agree with the majority here. What you´re looking for is an approval that the class you made with a certain flavor in mind and consider optimized within limits of the games you use to play. However, from a different POV, the class has several flows ranging from too much (power at the begining of his/her career), to too few (variability and viable abilities) at higher levels.

Sir Yvain
2010-08-05, 07:38 PM
Milskidasith, I think I will go with your suggestion of power point amount.

I will remove the "Never Exceed 7d6" and let it progress more.

Would you suggest making the energy ray do the large amount of damage without raising the cost per d6?

Should I have the damage of energy bolt also go up every 2 levels instead of 3?

Hyooz
2010-08-05, 07:47 PM
Honestly?

Go with Milski's suggestion. Just play a psion, but instead of drawing his power from the mind, they come from the planes. It's a fairly painless flavor change, that lets you play a relatively well put together class without much stress.

Analytica
2010-08-05, 08:01 PM
Given what you are trying to do, perhaps similar flavor might come from requiring the plane hopper to meditate each day, travelling astrally to the planes in question? That way, you avoid the problem of planar adaptation (on the other hand, how about making you immune to the hazards of each plane you are attuned to?).

I should also add, that if you can plane shift at will and control exactly where you end up, you can teleport to any point on any plane at will. Just go to another plane, wherever, then go to your chosen destination on the plane you just left.

Consider having some rules for how to construct a new bolt pistol if the previous one somehow breaks. Perhaps you can "attune" a weapon to focus the power in the same way? Could there be a feat that lets you channel the energy without a focus weapon?

You have some nonstandard choices in place: an uneven number of skill points per level (I would increase to 6, myself), caster level dependent on an ability, and saves midway between good and poor. This isn't necessarily a problem. Many people, me included, try to avoid them, but that is really just for maintaining symmetry with existing classes.

Why the limit of maximum 10 different abilities, by the way? Since you get one every two levels, you will end up with 10 at level 20, but there could be feats to get additional ones, or you might get more in epic levels.

In any case, the concept is interesting and I like the idea of charging your powers from a plane.

Sir Yvain
2010-08-05, 08:10 PM
Okay, I changed the name and the nature of his powers. Changed the skill points

I kept the same abilities, but I made some changes.

The energy bolt costs 1 power point per use regardless of d6. He can still change how much damage he wants to do.

I took the suggestion of 2X class level + Wisdom mod +3 power points. This way he will not run out of points like mad. He'll be able to attack with his specials a few times.

He gets more extra planar power even into epic levels. I kept the energy bolt progression rate the same, but kept it going into the epic levels.

(I'd like to apologize for getting defensive. It was a horrible day for me today and I liked having a custom class. So, sorry guys)

Analytica
2010-08-05, 08:16 PM
These boards can get a little insular at times. All the regulars have discussed things like the monk so many, many times, that many forget they once perceived it differently. :smallsmile:

Actually... since all your abilities require power points, and this is similar to a warlock, I would actually recommend allowing the plane hopper to recharge as many times per day as you want. If it takes a few minutes, the effect is kind of similar to Tome of Battle per-encounter mechanics, which many consider well-balanced.

Orzel
2010-08-05, 08:21 PM
Wow. Umm..
The spells you give out are either too weak, gotten too late, or cost too much. I can't even say give more PP because too many allows spam.

Effectively a plane hopper will max the skill and have 3 + twice her level + Wis PP. That give a level 1 Wis 16 PH only 8 PP and gaining only 2 per level. That's 8 1d6 shots for the day. Pass the crossbow.

Sir Yvain
2010-08-05, 08:25 PM
What do you suggest then?

Should I give it a high die, or make it a not cost any power points?

Or should I just give it a set damage and allow it to be used for free?

Also, should I just ditch the bolt pistol and let the Planar Adept channel the energy into his weapon?

Orzel
2010-08-05, 08:36 PM
I'd use a better formula for finding PP.

If you like Knowledge (the Planes), you could do 5*ranks.
or WIS score + Ranks.
or (Ranks + WIS mod)*3

Sir Yvain
2010-08-05, 08:39 PM
I will do (Ranks + Wis Mod) x 3

Now, should I ditch the bolt pistol and have him shoot it from his hands and weapon channel if he chooses?

Also, should I just give energy bolt a set die and make it a free ability instead of costing power points?

Orzel
2010-08-05, 08:47 PM
I will do (Ranks + Wis Mod) x 3

Now, should I ditch the bolt pistol and have him shot it from his hands and weapon channel if he chooses?

That's fluff. That's all you dude.

Also, should I just give energy bolt a set die and make it a free ability instead of costing power points?

If you go (Ranks + Wis Mod) x 3, you can leave it at 1pp a shot for full power.
But it will need at least one more level 1 class feature and Plane Hop to be toned down.

Sir Yvain
2010-08-05, 08:52 PM
I did not tone down plane hop but rather gave it to him at 20th level

Making it the Highest level skill that he strives for. Like the "Holy Grail" as it were.

Now what do you mean 1 more level 1 ability?

Also should I keep the damage progression the same or just give Energy Bolt a single die rating? Like give it 1 damage rating and not change it. I could give him other things in place of the energy bolt power increase.

What do you think?

Sir Yvain
2010-08-05, 10:16 PM
Level BAB Fort Ref Will Special

1st +0 +1 +1 +1 Extra-planar Power, lvl 0 Evocation

2nd +1 +1 +1 +1 Energy Resistance Least

3rd +2 +2 +2 +2 Extra-planar Power, lvl 1 Evocation

4th +3 +2 +2 +2 Celestia’s Blessing or Baator’s Bane

5th +3 +3 +3 +3 Extra-planar Power, lvl 2 Evocation

6th +4 +3 +3 +3 Energy Resistance Lesser

7th +5 +3 +3 +3 Extra-planar Power, lvl 3 Evocation

8th +6/+1 +4 +4 +4 Elysian Disruption or Hades Disruption

9th +6/+1 +4 +4 +4 Extra-planar Power, lvl 4 Evocation

10th +7/+2 +5 +5 +5 Energy Resistance Greater

11th +8/+3 +5 +5 +5 Maroon, Extra-planar Power, lvl 5 Evocation

12th +9/+4 +6 +6 +6 Shield of Limbo

13th +9/+4 +6 +6 +6 Extra-planar Power, lvl 6 Evocation

14th +10/+5 +6 +6 +6 Negative Arrow

15th +11/+6/+1 +7 +7 +7 Extra-planar Power, lvl 7 Evocation

16th +12/+7/+2 +7 +7 +7 Energy Resistance Perfect

17th +12/+7/+2 +8 +8 +8 Extra-planar Power, lvl 8 Evocation

18th +13/+8/+3 +8 +8 +8 Falling Star Strike

19th +14/+9/+4 +8 +8 +8 Extra-planar Power, lvl 9 Evocation

20th +15/+10/+5 +9 +9 +9 Winds of Pandemonium, Plane Hop

Hit Die: 1d6
Alignment: Any Chaotic
Skill Points: 6 + Int Mod (x 4 at 1st levl)
Class Skills: Bluff, Diplomacy, Disguise, Escape Artist, Forgery, Gather information, Hide, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge Arcana, Knowledge the Planes, Listen Balance, Move Silently, Perform, Sense Motive, Spot, Survival, Tumble, Use Magical Device

Description: Wizards spends their lives learning spells to increase their power. Clerics and other servants toil to please their patron gods in order to be granted a boon of divine magic. For some, magic comes not just by study or prayer, but more intuitive and active means. This is the definition of the Planar Adept. They don’t use the spells, but rather manipulate the raw energy of the planes of existence. They gain control by seeing into the planes and studying their shifts and movements. Unconventional, Chaotic, and Intuitive, the Planar Adept can make a wondrous companion and ally, but also an annoying, troublesome and deadly enemy.

CLASS FEATURES:

WEAPON AND ARMOR PROFICIENCY: The Planar Adept is proficient with all simple weapons and one martial weapon of choice. There are not proficient with any armor or shields. They need to be unbound to tune themselves with the energy of the planes. When wearing armor using shields or carrying a medium or heavy load the Plane Hopper cannot use any class abilities and loses his AC bonus.

AC BONUS: The Planar Adept realizes that the planes or not stationary. By studying the subtle nuanced movements of the planes and their energy, the Plane Hopper’s movements become harder to predict. He adds his Wisdom Modifier (if any) to his AC.

Plane Absorb: The Planar Adept can see and feel beyond the material plane on which he was born. The “walls” that divide the planes of existence are thinner. At the beginning of the day, the planar adept attunes himself to the planes to receive his powers, much like a wizard preparing his spells. It takes an hour of uninterrupted concentration.

Energy Bolt: The Planar Adept main method of attack is to channel the energy from the planes in the Great Wheel and unleash on their enemies as a devastating energy bolt. At the beginning of the day, the Planar Adept chooses one type of energy (Electric, Acid, Frost, or Fire, Negative, or Positive) to load into his gun. That is the energy damage that the Energy Bolt does for the day; on the next day the Planar Adept is free to choose a different energy type. This is a ranged touch attack. It does 1d12 and can only be used once per round.

NOTE: Negative energy does non-elemental damage but functions like an “inflict wound” spell. Positive energy heals any creature healed by positive energy as if a “cure wounds” spell was cast.

Energy Channel: At his option, the Planar Adept can channel the energy he absorbed through his weapon. He must be proficient with the weapon he chooses to channel the energy through. It still costs a power point but uses his attack roll to deliver the spell instead. This deals damage from the energy and the weapon.

Evocations: Through his constant observation of the shifting planes, the Planar Adept has gained an intuitive grasp of Evocations. At first level and every two levels after the Planar Adept gains 1 Evocation of appropriate level. He must be able to cast the Evocation. The Evocations he may select comes from the list of Wizard Evocations.

Spell Level Spell Point Cost

0 Can be used 3 times a day

1st 1

2nd 3

3rd 5

4th 7

5th 9

6th 11

7th 13

8th 15

9th 17

Energy Resistance: Studying the energies of the planes has given the Planar Adept the ability to resist them. At the beginning of the day the Plane Hopper must attune himself to the plane that contains the energy he wishes to resist. This resistance lasts for the day and cannot be changed; when the next day comes the Plane Hopper is free to choose a different energy type. At second level he gains the weakest energy resistance. The resistance gets stronger at level 6, 10, and 16.

2nd level: Least Energy Resistance (+5 to resistance to the selected energy for the day)

6th level: Lesser Energy Resistance (+10 to resistance to the selected energy for the day)

10th level: Greater energy resistance (+20 to resistance to the selected energy for the day)

16th Level: Perfect Energy Resistance: (Immunity to the selected energy for the day.

Extra-Planar Power: By extensive study of the planes, he gains access to even more of their energy, boosting his skills even more. At first level and every 2nd level thereafter the Plane Hopper may form an affinity toward a plane and gain permanent bonus associated with that plane. (See list below).

Celestia’s Blessing/Baator’s Bane: The Plane Hopper has gained affinity toward either the beautiful land of Celestia or the vile hells of Baator. At 4th level, the Plane Hopper may select one of the two powers. (5 PP)

Celestia’s Blessing functions as the spell “Bless.”

Baator’s Bane functions as the spell “Bane”

Hades Disruption/Elysian Disruption: At 8th Level the Plane Hopper has gained an affinity for the colorful vibrant atmosphere of Elysium or the gray lifeless glooms of Hades. He gains one of these two abilities. (5 PP)

Elysian Disruption acts as the spell “dispel evil” cast as the 5th level Cleric spell

Hades Disruption acts as the spell “dispel good” cast as the 5th level Cleric spell

Maroon: The Plane Hopper easily traverses the gate ways between Dimensions. At 11th Level the Plane Hopper can send his target to another plane of existence. This ability functions like the spell “Banishment” except the Plane Hopper can do this on any plane, not just his home plane. He sends the target to a plane of his choice. This functions as the 7th level wizard spell. This effect costs no power points but can only be used once a week as it takes time for the great wheel to realign and balance itself after such a wrench has been thrown into the works. If he tries to use it more than that, he suffers Planar Backlash (see below).

Shield of Limbo: At 12th level the Plane Hopper draws on his own chaotic nature and that of the plane of Limbo. Shield of Limbo acts as the spell “Cloak of Chaos” cast at the 8th level Cleric spell. (10 PP)

Negative Arrow: The Plane Hopper has come to understand the power of negative energy even further. By channeling negative energy into his bolt pistol, he can form it into an arrow and fire it at his foe. Negative arrow functions as the spell “Finger of Death” cast as the 7th level Wizard spell. (10 pp)

Shooting Star Strike: At 18th level, the Plane Hopper has almost perfect command of the energy forces he feeds off of. He proves it with this impressive technique. He summons energy from the elemental planes of earth and fire. He fires his bolt pistol into the air and the result is a shower of meteors that rain destruction down on his enemies (or anyone unfortunate enough to be in the area). This ability functions as the spell “Meteor Swarm” cast as the 9th level wizard spell. The only difference being the meteors rain from the sky. (10 PP)

Winds of Pandemonium: The Plane Hopper can now use his chaotic nature to its fullest extent. He summons a violent storm from the depths of Pandemonium and unleashes its fury on anyone who stands in his way. He fires his bolt pistol into the air over his intended targets. This spell functions like the spell “Storm of Vengeance” cast as the 9th level cleric spell. (15 PP)

Plane Hop: At 20th level the walls that divide the planes of existence are nigh nonexistent for the Planar Adept. He gets unlimited use of plane hop, which functions like the spell Plane Shift, except he can control exactly where he is going.

SPELL RESISANTCE: Energy Bolt and all other powers that the Planar Adept uses are affected by spell resistance. The Plane Hopper must make a caster level check like any other spell caster. His effective caster level is levels in Plane Adept + Wisdom Modifier. If his spells are interrupted he must also make a Concentration check or lose the effect.

POWER POINTS: The powers that the Planar Adept uses cost power points, much like a psionic character. The Plane Hopper gets a certain amount of power points for the day that are replenished the next day, although points left over do not get saved and added to the maximum the next day.

PP per day= (Ranks in Knowledge the Planes + Wis Mod) x 3

PLANAR BACKLASH: If a Planar Adept tries to exceed his limits he suffers what is called Planar Backlash. Manipulating the energy of the planes can take a lot out of a person. If the Plane Hopper attempts to use his powers when he is out of power points he may do it, but he takes 1d10 of damage per power point he tries to use. This includes him using a power when he does not have enough power points. For example if he tries to use a power that costs 10 power points and he only has 5, he takes 1d10 for each power point he lacks.

Special: (if the Plane Hopper tries to use his Maroon ability more than once a week he takes 8d10 of backlash)

PLANAR ADEPTS IN THE WORLD: Planar Adepts are, by nature, strange and off putting to many people. This is no different from any other of the chaotic alignment. Because they can easily defy many boundaries, they are of liberated personalities and therefore chaotic. No one would find one such as a paladin drawing power from Pandemonium even if it was for a good cause.
They are not by nature evil or unfriendly. Although their abilities are strange and rare, they are people like anyone else with hopes, dreams, fear, and aspirations. One would have a powerful ally and friend in a Planar Adept. The same can be certainly said about the reverse. The Planar Adept is an adventurous spirit who loves to explore unknown areas on the other planes and even his own home plane.

RELIGION: The Planar Adept has no affinity or revulsion toward religion. If they are religious, they worship chaotic gods. Gods of energy in particular are a main draw for Plane Hoppers because they see what energy can do on a daily basis. The Elemental Lords of Endhaven receive lots of praise and respect from them.

OTHER CLASSES: Planar Adept hold respect for many other classes, although even good Planar Adepts have a tendency to be mischievous toward lawful classes like Paladins, playing jokes and taking them out of their comfort zones. An evil Planar Adept is classic chaotic evil, causing as much suffering and mayhem as they can.

PLAYING A PLANAR ADEPT: This class presents an alternate type of magic to the traditional spell casting. The Planar Adept is hard to classify as a caster, but is mostly closely related to the Warlock in terms of play style, as in he gets powerful but few abilities. He lacks the list of choices a wizard or cleric has for his spells, but does not have to prepare spells. Like most classes it is a trade off, but this class can provide a fun and flavorful experience for those who want to play it. Wisdom is important for the Planar Adept because it determines his number of power points for the day and adds to his AC. Dexterity helps his Ranged Touch attacks and adds even more to AC. Constitution would be good for more HP, or Strength for his physical attacks.

DAILY LIFE: Planar Adepts spend their studying the planes to find interesting and miraculous sites and events. When they aren’t studying they enjoy many of the pleasures that other people enjoy. They can be very theatrical and can spend their time entertaining people on the street or socializing and drinking in the taverns. Although it may be good to keep an eye on them because they can be very mischievous.

NOTABLE: Planar Absorption is not an extremely common college of magic. There are a few schools. Class generally consists of looking into an observing the planes with occasional trips across the planes with an experienced Adept. They are like a geological or archaeological community being that there are notables within their own circle.

One Notable stands out in their circle and to a lesser extent the entire community of spell casters. His name was called William the Bold, and after mastering the art of plane hopping, he and a few of his followers set out to colonize other planes. They have not yet returned from the last expedition they set out on, to colonize the Far Realm. People realize that BOLD does not mean SMART, RESPONSIBLE, WELL PREPARED or SANE.

“Come at me fool. I have traveled the great wheel and have found things far more beautiful, frightening, and interesting than you.” The words William the Bold spoke before he slew a Lich Death Knight

EXTRA PLANAR POWERS: By gaining an affinity to one of the planes in the great wheel he gains a permanent bonus granted by the plane.

Wilderness of the Beastlands: +2 to listen, spot, and survival
Astral Plane: +2 Will save
Elemental Plane of Fire: +2 Reflex save
Elemental Plane of Earth: +2 natural AC
Elemental Plane of Water: +2 Fort save
Elemental Plane of Air: Base land speed +10
Plane of Shadow: +2 to hide and move silently
Plane of Positive Energy: +5 HP
Plane of Negative Energy: +2 to damage to energy bolts
Ethereal Plane: +2 to gather information and sense motive
Seven Mountain Heavens of Celestia: +2 to diplomacy and use magical device
Blessed Fields of Elysium: +2 to diplomacy and bluff
Twin Paradises of Bytopia: +2 balance and jump
Olympian Glades of Arborea: +2 initiative
Infernal Battlefield of Acheron: Proficiency with 1 additional martial weapon
The Heroic Domains of Ysgard: +2 to all Wisdom checks
Ever Changing Chaos of Limbo: Unlimited Detect Magic
The Windswept Depth of Pandemonium: +2 to intimidate
The Infinite Layers of the Abyss: +2 to resist fear effects
Tarterian Depths of Carceri: +2 to bluff and sense motive
Nine Hells of Baator: +2 to disguise and forgery
Gray Wastes of Hades: +2 to resist charm effects
Black Eternity of Gehenna: +2 to climb and tumble
Clockwork Nirvana of Mechanus: +2 to use magical device and craft magical item
Peaceable Kingdoms of Arcadia: +2 to Knowledge Geography and Knowledge Architecture

Concordant Domain of the Outlands:
New Technique: Outland Spire

Description: Through his study of the spire in the Outlands, the Planar Adept has learned the method of canceling out magical effects. He gains the ability to project a 50 foot Anti-Magic Cone. It costs 5 power points and lasts until his next turn. When his turn comes he can choose to keep it active, but it costs 5 more power points per full round it is active.

Okay, What do you think of the power point costs?

Glimbur
2010-08-05, 11:10 PM
Let's try some math.

At first level, assuming we start with 18 Wis, a Plane Hopper will have 21 pp. He has an evocation cantrip (I suggest Light) and a ranged attack that does 1d12. He also gets one small boost, probably +5 hp because first level is scary. He also has nothing to spend pp on.

By fifth level, he has a third, second, and first level evocation. If he wants to use the highest level one, it costs 5 pp. He has 36 pp, so he can sustain 7 rounds of max level casting. He can also cast either Bless or Bane, again for 5 pp. After running out of pp, he has a 1d12+2 gun to fall back on (I'm assuming you pick the bonus damage planar power).

By ninth level, he has 5th level and so on evocations. His highest level spell costs 9 pp. He has (assuming a +2 Wis item by now and 2 stat boosts in Wis) 54 pp. That means exactly 6 rounds of max level casting. He can save some pp by using Dispel Good/Evil, whichever he chose. After running out of pp, he can fall back on his 1d12+2 gun, or his martial weapon he picked up with a planar power.

At thirteenth level, he has 7th level and lower evocations. That's 13 pp per shot. He has (assuming +4 wis item and three stat boosts in wis) 69 pp. This means 5 rounds of full level casting. He also has the scary Maroon 1/week. If he buffs with Cloak of Chaos, he can only cast his highest level spell for four rounds. Then he falls back on the same 1d12+2 gun.

At level 20, he has had 9th level evocations. 17 pp per shot, assuming +6 wis item and +4 tome and +5 from level up boosts total pp pool is 93 pp. That means five rounds of max level casting. This has been a significant investment in wisdom. He is probably better off casting Meteor Swarm which means he can last 9 rounds. Then he falls back on the 1d12+2 gun.

How are the save DC's for the evocation spells determined? I would assume it is Wis based but you do not specify.

My biggest concern with this class is their lack of options. You get a smattering of Evocation spells, a handful of other spells, and a gun which does not do relevant amounts of damage by mid levels. The skill list is also all over the place. What do you want the class to do?

Oh, also an antimagic cone is too useful in a variety of situations and should cost significantly more pp or be a radius like the actual Spire or be scrapped.

Sir Yvain
2010-08-05, 11:22 PM
I gave them a variety of skills so there is the option to serve many functions outside of battle.

As for in battle, it is supposed to only have a few abilities. I scraped the gun BTW.

He can still use energy bolt, but it costs 1 pp each to use and does 1d12+2 of whatever damage. He can also channel it into his weapon or fire it from his hand instead.

Should I drop the cost of the Energy Bolt and make it free? Leave the spells for him to use up his PP?

(Save DC is wisdom Based)

It is also only 1 evocation. He only gets 9 in total