PDA

View Full Version : Putting a comic online

Yora
2010-08-06, 10:14 AM
To practice my drawing I want to create a simple webcomic. I got webspace and a second free domain which I can use for it, but my html skills are very basic, and I know only html. I probably could build a simple site myself, but every time I would upload a new page I'd have to manually update all the internal links.
There has to be a much more practical solution to do this. Is there something like a customizeable pre-made kit you can just dump into your webspace, and it then automatically adds new uploaded pages to the index?

I did set up mediawiki and wordpress on a webspace before and it both went pretty well. I'm looking for something similar.

Zanaril
2010-08-06, 10:55 AM
Have you tried comicpress (http://comicpress.org/)?

I haven't used it, but it seems to be quite popular.

Domochevsky
2010-08-06, 11:02 AM
What you're looking for is a webcomic CMS. Googling it should turn up a couple of free ones.

Yora
2010-08-06, 11:42 AM
I downloaded comicCMS and it works like a charm. Thank you for showing me in the right direction.

Edit: While ComicCMS is very easy to install and works as advertised, I'm having massive trouble editing the layout. If anyone knows a CMS in which you can change colors and backgrouns by just adjusting the RPG values (and that's also good in other regards), I'd like to get some recommendations.

cdrcjsn
2010-08-06, 10:52 PM
I use Wordpress and the theme Comicpress.

Don't really know computers or programming, but I've managed to cobble together my own comic and have been updating for a while now.

Most webcomics I've seen tend to use some version of wordpress unless they're also a programmer.

Yora
2010-08-07, 07:51 AM
I don't really like using Comicpress as it seems far too complex for the basic thing I want to do.

I'm now using Istrip, which is a really simple html-based CMS. This allows me to chance colors, fonts, buttons, backgrounds and all such things by just editing the index.tpl file.
It's a bit old-school if you can make everything with php and flash and whatever, but I like it. :smallbiggrin:

http://www.sata-andagi.eu

Domochevsky
2010-08-07, 02:53 PM
I see these spearmen are so poor, they can't even afford faces. :smallbiggrin: