PDA

View Full Version : Arena Tournament Round 94: Korn vs Jose Sanchez

ArenaManager
2010-08-06, 07:16 PM
Arena Tournament, Round 94: Korn vs. Jose Sanchez

Map:http://i876.photobucket.com/albums/ab330/ArenaManager/Arenas/03-river_arena.png
The Arena walls for this map are 30 ft high, with a Climb DC of 30.

XP Award: 300 XP
GP Award: 300 GP

Korn (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=229403) - Olo Demonsbane
Jose Sanchez (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=223906) - Dwalin

All Combatants, please roll initiative and declare final purchases, if any

Olo Demonsbane
2010-08-06, 11:19 PM
Initiative: [roll0]

I'll get a quarterstaff, and I reserve the right to make reactionary buys. With my 44gp :smalltongue:

This is my first arena match, so I apologize in advance if I make any mistakes. I've read over much of the archives though, so I have a fair idea of what's going on here :smallsmile:

EDIT: Thoughts in a very rambling fashion (Refs/Spectators Only) Hmmm. He only has 11 hp and 17 AC, so Alpha Strike 1 has a very good chance of taking him out...in fact, I calculate that it has about a 91% chance of destroying him, unless my math is faulty. However, that's only if I get 1st strike.
I can ready Counter Charge to prevent him charging. I really hope he isn't trying to play some sort of battlefield control game here...I'll only have 14 touch AC with Law Devotion vs his +5 touch attack for trip...not the best odds. However, I still have a decent chance of beating his trip check... Overall, I have a moderately good chance of not getting tripped...so I doubt that's his ****ick. If he disarms me, that'll cramp my style, but I can always use my Armor Spikes and (possibly) unarmed strikes. But yet again, I'm decent vs. Disarming.
If he uses standard attacks on me...he has +5 to hit vs my 19 (with law devotion) AC, so he'll only hit me 35% of the time, and he does an average of 11 damage, which means exactly 2 hits would kill me.
He is rather slow though. If he's out of cover, I can dance around and use my slings on him. That'd be entertaining and would avoid any lockdown game he's playing. Of course, I assume he's intelligent enough to move behind cover as much as possible. He doesn't have a ranged weapon though, so he can't fire back.
Heh, I could climb up onto one of the pillars and fly after him...or fly around and shoot rocks. Heh, that'd be entertaining. I wonder...can I be tripped while flying? I remember some answer being given, and I suspect yes, but I can't quite remember if it was so.
If I take heavy damage, I can withdraw and then hide. He has -1 spot and listen, so that might not be terrible. Then I can shoot, and then run and hide.

Well, let's see how this goes. I think I have a very good chance of winning, but luck and time will tell!

Dwalin
2010-08-07, 03:10 PM
Initiative:[roll0]

I am really busy on weekends, so I will make first real post on monday (doesn't help that I have never interacted with a swordsage, so I will need to think about strategy). I also have never played a match before, but I should be okay as far as formatting wise. See you on monday.

Olo Demonsbane
2010-08-07, 06:15 PM
All right, see you on monday then. Do you want me to give you explanations of my maneuvers and general swordsage stuff?

Dwalin
2010-08-08, 01:19 PM
That's alright, I got access to the book, I just need to read through it. I might ask a question or two, but I will make a pass at it first.

Olo Demonsbane
2010-08-09, 11:08 AM
Allright...now the fun can start :smallbiggrin:

Dwalin
2010-08-09, 11:48 AM
Alright, I will craft two more spiked chains for 25. Holding for reactionary buys.

Olo Demonsbane
2010-08-09, 02:33 PM
No reaction to that.

Dwalin
2010-08-09, 04:00 PM
I noticed a possible problem with your character. You never payed for dragonborn (cost 100 according to races of the dragon). Let me know if I missed something or whatever. Assuming that we sort through that fact, I will take my actions.

I will start in B11 wielding spiked chain

Full Round: Withdraw to G13

Olo Demonsbane
2010-08-09, 07:28 PM
Um...I completely forgot about that...

So...what do you think I should do? Remove the template? Is that acceptable to you?

TheFallenOne
2010-08-09, 07:30 PM
hm, there has been indeed that oversight with the sheet check... Well, the character has to be legal, good thing you noticed the flaw before you started. So you need to remove either the template or other equipment until your character doesn't buy more than he can afford with his starting wealth

Olo Demonsbane
2010-08-09, 07:57 PM
hm, there has been indeed that oversight with the sheet check... Well, the character has to be legal, good thing you noticed the flaw before you started. So you need to remove either the template or other equipment until your character doesn't buy more than he can afford with his starting wealth

OK, removed here (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=229403)

May we continue?

Olo Demonsbane
2010-08-09, 09:41 PM
Assuming that's a yes, but I'll put my turn in a spoiler.

Edit: Removed Spoilers

Starting Location: Y10, with a greatsword in one hand and a sling in the other

Swift Action: Enter Hunter's Sense stance

Move Action: Move to T9.

Standard Action: Ready Action (Refs Only) Attack him with my sling if I have LoS to him and he doesn't have cover, or if he ends turn

End Turn

Stats: (Refs Only)
Hp: 11/11
AC: 17, ff:15, t:12 (+3 armor, +2 Dex, +2 natural)
Rageclaws (0), Wormtail Belt (0)
Maneuvers Prepared: Wolf Fang Strike [ ], Burning Blade [ ], Shadow Blade Technique [ ], Counter Charge [ ]

TheFallenOne
2010-08-09, 09:52 PM
sure, go ahead

Dwalin
2010-08-10, 11:50 AM
I would have thought you would still need to make the climb check (DC 10) to get out of the water even if you had the swim skill. Not that I care, I am willing to let you get closer, but I think it would be good to be sure before the melee magic begins.

Start of Round 2:

Move: to H15

Standard: Ready an Action (Refs only)

Attack with spiked chain when he enters range If I have to declare type of attack it is a trip

End of Turn

Stats:

HP: 11/11
AC: 17 Tc:11 Fl: 16

Olo Demonsbane
2010-08-10, 02:21 PM
Oh, sorry, I meant S9. I crossed the bridge to get there.

Does this change your actions? I have LoS to you from there, though you have cover.

Dwalin
2010-08-10, 04:41 PM
No, doesn't change my actions, though I need to reformat how I spoiler things a bit.

Edit: Fixed

Olo Demonsbane
2010-08-10, 09:32 PM
When you end turn, that triggers my readied action.

Sling Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Olo Demonsbane
2010-08-10, 09:54 PM
Assuming that doesn't trigger your readied action, my turn comes now:

Move: to Q13

Swift: Activate Law Devotion (to Attack)

Standard: Attack with Sling again (though you don't have cover this time, so I actually have a chance of hitting)
Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Free: Switch Law Devotion to AC

Edit: End Turn

Stats (Refs only): Hp: 11/11
AC: 20, ff:18, t:15 (+3 armor, +2 Dex, +2 natural, +3 LD)
Maneuvers Prepared: Wolf Fang Strike [ ], Burning Blade [ ], Shadow Blade Technique [ ], Counter Charge [ ]

Dwalin
2010-08-11, 12:07 PM
Actually I am pretty sure I would still have cover since none of your corners can see my top left corner. Didn't hit regardless, so moving onward. I suppose since you had a readied action, that your turn was actually top of round 3, so

Bottom of Round 3:

5ft step to G14

LOS:
Total Defense Action, no move

Stats:

HP: 11/11
AC: 17 Tc:11 Fl: 16

Olo Demonsbane
2010-08-11, 08:58 PM
Move: Move/Swim/Climb/Move to M17, if I succeed on my climb check:
[roll0] vs DC 10

If I succeed: Standard: Ready An Action (Refs Only): 5ft step and use Shadow Blade Technique if he comes within 10ft of me

If I fail: Move out of LoS to (Refs Only)N16, 5ft down.
Standard: Ready an action to 5ft step up and attack if he comes to M15, M16, M17, or N17.
Hide [roll1]
Move Silently [roll2]

End Turn.

Stats (Refs Only): Hp: 11/11
Law Devotion 2/10

Dwalin
2010-08-12, 01:11 PM
Bottom of Round 4:

Move: to K4

Standard: Trip Attack
Touch attack to initiate: [roll0]
If successful: Opposed Strength Check (with Improved Trip mod)
Mine: [roll1] vs. Yours:[roll2]

Bonus Attack if Trip is Successful:

Disarm:
Opposed Attack Rolls: (with modifiers for Improved Disarm and two handed weapon and prone penalty, still needs law devotion bonus if applicable)
Mine: [roll3] vs. Yours:[roll4]

End of Turn (Barring any necessary adjustments due to readied actions, etc)

Olo Demonsbane
2010-08-13, 12:56 AM
Um...K4? And even if you meant K14, it would take 20ft reach to him me in M17...

Dwalin
2010-08-13, 11:01 AM
Wow, don't know how I screwed that up, it was meant to be k15.

Also, just to note that reach weapons are an exception to the two diagonal spaces =15ft. With a reach weapon you can hit someone two diagonal spaces away.

Olo Demonsbane
2010-08-13, 12:28 PM
OK, my readied action goes off to 5ft step to L16 and initiate a maneuver:
(DC 11 Martial Lore) Shadow Blade Technique

Attack Roll 1 [roll0]
Attack Roll 2 [roll1]

If either hit, you take this damage:
Damage [roll2]

If both hit, you also take bonus cold damage:
Bonus Cold [roll3]

Sallera
2010-08-13, 12:51 PM
You can't 5ft step as part of that readied action, since you've already moved this round.

Dwalin
2010-08-13, 12:51 PM
You moved on your turn which means you can't 5ft step for a readied action.

TheFallenOne
2010-08-13, 12:53 PM
Ref ninja :smallbiggrin:

well, the action he readied was illegal, so we have to rewind to the point where he readied and he has to ready an action that is legal

hustlertwo
2010-08-13, 12:53 PM
A reminder, Dwalin: you don't roll another person's opposed check (unless they give you the go-ahead for something like that beforehand, I suppose). Anything involving their character should be rolled by them.

Dwalin
2010-08-13, 02:09 PM
Yeah, I posted the question immediately after having made the post. Noted for the future (when it will likely happen a lot). Luckily, not a factor here since the touch attack ended the whole sequence.

Olo Demonsbane
2010-08-13, 02:27 PM
OK, in that case....

Standard Action: Total Defense

End Turn.

hustlertwo
2010-08-13, 02:32 PM
Ah, OK. Carry on, then.

TheFallenOne
2010-08-13, 02:34 PM
Actually, Salleras ruling I referenced said "Rewind and have them ready something else.", so you still have to use the Standard for readying an action. Which of course can be total defense, an attack or whatever, as long as trigger and action are legal

Sallera
2010-08-13, 04:32 PM
Alright, Kyeudo has spoken. The readied action stands as it was, you just can't take the 5ft step. Resume play after Jose's trip attempt. (Incidentally, if you could label your rounds with a Character Name, Round <Number> heading, it would be helpful.)

Olo Demonsbane
2010-08-13, 06:55 PM
Ah, ok, that works. In that case, I did not take the readied action. The trip attempt missed, and it is now

Korn, Round 4

Free action: 5ft step to L16

Non action: Change Law Devotion to Attack

Initiate Maneuver (DC 11 Martial Lore) Shadow Blade Technique

Attack 1 [roll0]
Attack 2 [roll1]

If one roll hits, you take
Damage [roll2]

If both hit, you also take bonus cold damage
Cold [roll3]

Non action: Change Law Devotion to AC

Stats: (Refs Only) Hp: 11/11
Maneuvers Prepared: Wolf Fang Strike [ ], Burning Blade [ ], Shadow Blade Technique [X], Counter Charge [ ]
Law Devotion 3/10

Olo Demonsbane
2010-08-14, 11:38 PM
I'm going to be going out of town for an undetermined number of days...I may have internet access, but...I doubt it. Please don't DQ me...though that may not be necessary, due to the fact that I may have won in that last post.

Also, just for clarity, Dwalin doesn't post on the weekend. He posted that a little while ago, so hopefully that will avoid him getting DQ'd. I'd hate to have that happen to anyone...unless it was someone like Cinder. Sorry TheFallenOne, i've watched enough of your matches to be legitimately scared of you :smalltongue:

TheFallenOne
2010-08-14, 11:48 PM
Also, just for clarity, Dwalin doesn't post on the weekend. He posted that a little while ago, so hopefully that will avoid him getting DQ'd. I'd hate to have that happen to anyone...unless it was someone like Cinder. Sorry TheFallenOne, i've watched enough of your matches to be legitimately scared of you :smalltongue:

Heh, nice to know I got a reputation now :smallbiggrin: quite hard to tell how many people follow the matches.
Well, you're out of luck I fear, no DQ yet and to my delight I only faced a DQ once yet. Even if my notebook spontaneously combusts, there's still my roommate, university computers, internet cafes, friends... Cinder will burn her way to victory or die trying :smallcool:

Though assuming you win, you'd still have to get past Krunk first, and if he makes the CL check for Alter Self that's quite a challenge for a meleer...

Dwalin
2010-08-16, 02:09 PM
Looks like I am unconsious, posted for the match call (don't know how, but I missed the fact that a new page had started).

Sallera
2010-08-16, 03:04 PM
High Ref Sallera

Korn cuts down Jose for the victory.