PDA

View Full Version : How would this turn-order houserule change things? (3.5)

RickGriffin
2010-08-07, 02:24 PM
On the first round of combat, as long as you have not been surprised, you may choose to move to the front of the initiative order by cutting your first turn in half and make either a move action and a swift action or a standard action and a swift action. This can only be done on the first round of combat.

In cases where multiple people take this option, the standard action always has priority; otherwise everyone in the first half-round moves in their initiative order (going standard action in order, then move action in order, then everyone who did not take this option in order). Combat then proceeds in this order.

I thought that this would mitigate the swordsman-vs-machine gunner problem without resorting to an FFT-like CT counter. (it's the problem where they notice each other at the same time but the swordsman has more dexterity and then moves and kills the machine gunner before any bullets are fired) I know this would give a huge advantage to ranged attacks and anyone who can engage where others can't.

Siosilvar
2010-08-07, 02:28 PM
First turn: Wizard casts encounter-ending spell, Celerity, encounter-ending spell.

Second turn: Wizard is dazed 1 round.

Umm... yeah. The Wizard doesn't even have to win initiative now, just not be surprised.

On second thought, this rule can never come into play because you're always flatfooted at the start of an encounter. Even if you have Uncanny Dodge.

RickGriffin
2010-08-07, 02:36 PM
Okay then my original wording was better.

What about with my other houserule where spells that take one standard action now take one full-round action