PDA

View Full Version : Jack B. Quick Inspired Build Help

gallagher
2010-08-08, 01:16 AM
so i have an idea for an enemy, and i want him to be pretty much a beast. i dont want for this guy to be a TPK without some luck or cheese, but i do want him to be a serious challenge as a middle of the campaign boss.

I want him to be a JBQ inspired build, but i need to know some things. when does this guy become a big threat? i would guess either level 12 or 16 of course many tricks that he pulls off that make him legendary cant be had until later levels. here are the requirements:

this guy will have the insectile template from savage species, and i want him to use tiger claw for its TWF help. i would like for the encounter to be very difficult for a level 15 party of about 5-6 characters.

he will be in a very forest-themed area. he will be the sworn protector of an altar in the middle of a dense jungle with alot of insects. i am thinking of having a hellwasp swarm in the same encounter that wont attack the insectile boss. if anyone has any ideas for more creatures/challenges for this fight, please feel free to say so.

so, any ideas? any help given is alot of help, and thank you

gallagher
2010-08-08, 01:22 AM
i have also used a random encounter generator, and i like the idea of this guy as one of the parts of the encounter
Huge Shambling Mound, Barbarian 2, Monk 1 (Advanced Hit Dice) CR 12
Usually Lawful Neutral Huge Plant
Init +0
AC 21 FF 21 Touch 7
(-2 size, +14 natural , -1 Wis)
HD: 19
HP: 222 (16d8+112, 2d12+14, 1d8+7)
Fort +22 Ref +7 Will +8
Speed 20 ft. (4 squares), swim 20 ft.
Base Atk +14 Grp +33
Attack: slam +23 3d6+11
Max Power Attack: slam +11 3d6+23
Half Power Attack: slam +17 3d6+17
Full Attack: 2 slams +23 3d6+11
Full Attack: Flurry of Blows +21/+21/+16/+11 3d6+11
Space 15 ft. (3 squares) Reach 15 ft. (3 squares)
Abilities Str 33(+11) Dex 11(+0) Con 24(+7) Int 8(-1) Wis 8(-1) Cha 8(-1)
Stat Points Gained From Advancement: 2
Total Feats: 7 + 1Bonus feat
Feats: Stunning Fist, Iron Will, Power Attack, Weapon Focus(slam)
Skill Points: 28
Skills: Hide +6, Listen +5, Move Silently +6

this guy is CR 12. so this, plus the JBQ guy, plus a hellwasp swarm. how does that look?

TroubleBrewing
2010-08-08, 03:58 AM
how does that look?

Confusing.

Does... Does the shambling mound have a monk level? And there are hellwasps? And the fastest man alive? Is there a story, or is the party tripping on some Purple Fungi?

gallagher
2010-08-08, 10:35 AM
Confusing.

Does... Does the shambling mound have a monk level? And there are hellwasps? And the fastest man alive? Is there a story, or is the party tripping on some Purple Fungi?

the purple fungi sounds like a fun time, but no. anyway, here is the story:

the players will have their choice of who the BBEG will be, because both sides (a church headed by a Paladin-esque overzealous guy and a group of mages in exile) are going to be effectively buying them off. the party itself can have different members working for the two sides. but that is besides the point.

the players are questing for ancient, long-lost altars of which the source of all magic comes from. one side (the holy roller) wants the power and destroy it. the other wishes to free magic, as at this point anything but defensive arcane magic is illegal, punishable by death.

each of these altars is protected, and by killing the protectors, you become the protector yourself. the only way these stay hidden is by having the protector close enough that (s)he/they can actively guard the place. there is one in a sewer (protected by a Pied Piper-inspired bard who will control zombie children and rats), one in a frozen tundra (guarded by a white dragon or frost giants), one underwater (guarded by a druid i think), and one in the marshes/rain forest which will be protected by this insect guy.

i hope that helps the idea of the thing. each altar is being protected by guys considered the best at their job, though they will all be CR appropriate. i want them to be tough, and require imagination to defeat.

so yeah, the idea that these guys are so strange yet powerful is that the altar gives them some sort of extra power, which can corrupt or strengthen, depending on their will power

EDIT: and the shambling mound is going to be a grapple guy. he will effectively just try and hold people still so that either the swarm or the JBQ guy can get better hits