PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Ring (dnd 3.5)?

gallagher
2010-08-08, 01:58 PM
so i am looking to have some really good loot throughout a dungeon i am planning, and i will be putting a ring for every member of a 4 person party in the loot, hoping that none of them sell it back (therefor, it needs to be cool enough that they will want to keep it). they will be around level 12

W3bDragon
2010-08-08, 02:06 PM
What classes are they? What magic items do they have so far?

Rings of freedom of movement and rings of evasion are pretty popular.

gallagher
2010-08-08, 02:14 PM

i dont have their sheets in front of me, so i dont know their magical items, but it is as such: Cleric with Persisted buffs, Swift Hunter, Wizard/Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil, Bard/White Raven Crusader

i was thinking maybe a ring (or other item made into a ring) that could give a template? i thnk i will give the swift hunter a collar of umbral metamorphosis in ring form, if it helps to base it off of that

ericgrau
2010-08-08, 02:20 PM
In forums yes. In gameplay this is impossible before level 11 and highly unlikely before level 16. Even at level 16 it's a huge investment.

Practically speaking I like a ring of protection plus whatever. It's highly dependent on class and situational. I mean at low levels you might get a ring of sustenance, a high level rogue might grab blinking. Water walking is cool, spell storing is cool. Etc. One thing I find is that with only 2 slots and so many nich rings appearing in treasure (at least in the group I play in), it's like deciding which movie to watch if you can only pick 1 or 2.

Thrice Dead Cat
2010-08-08, 02:21 PM

i dont have their sheets in front of me, so i dont know their magical items, but it is as such: Cleric with Persisted buffs, Swift Hunter, Wizard/Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil, Bard/White Raven Crusader

i was thinking maybe a ring (or other item made into a ring) that could give a template? i thnk i will give the swift hunter a collar of umbral metamorphosis in ring form, if it helps to base it off of that

I've got to agree with W3bDragon on those two rings being pretty fun for most everyone. If the Shift Hunter enjoys sneaking around, I would definitely give him the collar in ring form.

I'm personally a huge fan of the Ring of Anticipation from Drow of the Underdark, as it allows you to roll for initiative twice and take the better of the two options. If the Bardsader uses White Raven Tactics at all, I'd probably throw that his way, although everyone would probably enjoy it.

Rings of Arcane Might would probably make the wizard happy with more caster levels, but I don't have any idea for the cleric. Maybe a reliquary holy symbol in ring form, but that seems forced to me.

mjames
2010-08-08, 02:22 PM
Ring of blinking or Ring of Dimension Door /x times per day.

My personal favorites.

gallagher
2010-08-08, 02:27 PM
I've got to agree with W3bDragon on those two rings being pretty fun for most everyone. If the Shift Hunter enjoys sneaking around, I would definitely give him the collar in ring form.

I'm personally a huge fan of the Ring of Anticipation from Drow of the Underdark, as it allows you to roll for initiative twice and take the better of the two options. If the Bardsader uses White Raven Tactics at all, I'd probably throw that his way, although everyone would probably enjoy it.

Rings of Arcane Might would probably make the wizard happy with more caster levels, but I don't have any idea for the cleric. Maybe a reliquary holy symbol in ring form, but that seems forced to me.

the swift hunter does indeed like sneaking around, as he is their sneaky scout.

one of the tactics that they have been using so far is that the IotSFV wizard likes to put his walls up where the players have cover, protecting them while the swift hunter uses his mobility to his advantage and shoots on the run between the wall and some other form of cover

Evard
2010-08-08, 02:37 PM
For all but the wizard give them a ring of elemental command :P It will be something to give a lot of fun :)

For the wizard...Ring of Wizardry :)

cZak
2010-08-08, 03:15 PM
Back for your buck:

Ring of Darkhidden (2500gp?) - cannot be seen by darkvision

Ring of Sustenance - the main advantage is the casters having the opportunity to stand watch.

Ring of Jumping (or other skill buff) - not very often, but when you need it you appreciate it

The energy resist rings have kinda been outclassed by the Armor crystals, which are limited per day but significantly cheaper

Marnath
2010-08-08, 03:38 PM
I also love the ring of sustenance, adding the effects of another niche-type ring with MiC rules when i can afford it. And then adding a deflection bonus on top of that :smallbiggrin:

iDM
2010-08-08, 03:56 PM
Ring of Shooting Stars is a fun toy to have around; giving the cleric more damage-dealing power to supplement his buffing duties would be good. It's not as good of an item indoors though.

Zaydos
2010-08-08, 04:01 PM
Personally my favorite is Ring of Protection +X, although my players liked Rings of Sustenance, and the defensive warlock loved Ring of Evasion (he had high Dex, the best cloak of resistance he could buy, and Lightning Reflexes; as well as continuous flight and invisibility) to become rather hard to kill (he was completely built around defense). Ring of Arcane Might is good for an arcane caster.

Darrin
2010-08-08, 04:18 PM
Stormfire Ring (MIC p. 206, 4000 GP). Faerie fire 5/day + 1d6 electricity damage for 5 rounds. Completely negates invisibility and concealment, and 25d6 electrical damage a day, no hit roll (5' burst area effect), bypasses DR.

cooperflood
2010-08-08, 07:25 PM
Ring of Spell Battle is a solid magic item that may interest your wizard.

Greenish
2010-08-08, 07:30 PM
Ring of Feather Falling. I mean, you can fall any distance ever without getting hurt. How cool is that?

Andion Isurand
2010-08-08, 07:30 PM
Ring of Enduring Arcana is pretty nice for those who want to help keep their buffs from being dispelled.

mobdrazhar
2010-08-08, 07:35 PM
Ring of Sustenance and Ring of Feather Fall would have to be my personal favorites

Shademan
2010-08-08, 08:22 PM
the one that throws spells back at the caster.

Tokuhara
2010-08-08, 09:49 PM
My GM came up with one for our wizard that I wanted to buy off of him: Ring of Meat-eor Storm. 1/day, you can summon a rain of large chunks of meat, which do equal damage to an Empowered Meteor Swarm!!!

iDM
2010-08-08, 09:59 PM
My GM came up with one for our wizard that I wanted to buy off of him: Ring of Meat-eor Storm. 1/day, you can summon a rain of large chunks of meat, which do equal damage to an Empowered Meteor Swarm!!!

Dinner and the ability to brutally murder your enemies! What's not to love?

Marnath
2010-08-08, 10:14 PM

Is there a version that shoots hot fudge sundaes? O.o
If so, Want!!!!1!!

Human Paragon 3
2010-08-08, 10:18 PM
I've always been partial to Ring of the Ram.

sambo.
2010-08-08, 10:25 PM
i've always been a fan of a ring of Featherfall on non-casters myself.

whenever i play a caster, i almost always have that spell available to me.

Featherfall has probably saved more PCs bacon than just about any other spell i can think of over the years.

Marnath
2010-08-08, 10:28 PM

Featherfall has probably saved more PCs bacon than just about any other spell i can think of over the years.

That's odd, i'd expect gentle repose to be more useful than feather fall for saving bacon from spoiling. :smallwink:

arguskos
2010-08-08, 10:28 PM
Gutterang would be my favorite printed ring, with the ring of nine lives and the ring of three wishes coming in swiftly behind, and the ring of Gaxx bringing up the rearguard.

The Glyphstone
2010-08-08, 10:30 PM
I love the Ring of the Darkhidden for sneaky characters.

Marnath
2010-08-08, 10:31 PM
What does Gutterang do?

Evard
2010-08-08, 10:31 PM

its also killed more than probably any other spell...

PC: *fake fear* Omg i'm falling....
DM: The archers take aim...
PC: HOLY SH%$

Tokuhara
2010-08-08, 10:32 PM
In another campaign, this one comedically focused, my DM added a Ring of Gygax, so named since the day we met was the day Gary Gygax died, so the DM gave our Gnome Fighter this ring that once/gaming session, he could summon an Aspect of Gary Gygax

Marnath
2010-08-08, 10:34 PM
In another campaign, this one comedically focused, my DM added a Ring of Gygax, so named since the day we met was the day Gary Gygax died, so the DM gave our Gnome Fighter this ring that once/gaming session, he could summon an Aspect of Gary Gygax

And what would that prove? Wasn't his favorite thing causing TPK's? Lol, seems like summoning him would be dangerous :smallsmile:

Tyndmyr
2010-08-09, 02:21 AM
ring o' counterspells

Psyx
2010-08-09, 05:24 AM
so i am looking to have some really good loot throughout a dungeon i am planning, and i will be putting a ring for every member of a 4 person party in the loot, hoping that none of them sell it back (therefor, it needs to be cool enough that they will want to keep it). they will be around level 12

My choice picks would be:

Ring of wizardry
Ring of Freedom of Movement
Ring of feather fall (because it's a classic)

Zeta Kai
2010-08-09, 05:31 AM
Other rings might be nice, but for almost any character, I'll wear a Ring of Protection & a Ring of Feather Fall. Those two are a given, & are almost as important as a magic weapon & a magic armor.

Tokuhara
2010-08-09, 07:34 AM
And what would that prove? Wasn't his favorite thing causing TPK's? Lol, seems like summoning him would be dangerous :smallsmile:

He would destroy the monsters with his eye lasers of Alter Reality and could breathe fire, carrying and swinging his colossal +++ Greatsword

Person_Man
2010-08-09, 01:32 PM
Spellguard Rings: Allows you to ignore the spells cast by an ally. For example, they could lob a Fireball at a group of enemies even though you’re standing in the middle of them without effecting you. 4,000 gp, Complete Mage pg 127.

Toliudar
2010-08-09, 02:06 PM
Especially for your DMM cleric, a ring of greater counterspells, with Greater Dispel Magic on it, would be extremely helpful.

Greenish
2010-08-09, 02:11 PM
Spellguard Rings: Allows you to ignore the spells cast by an ally. For example, they could lob a Fireball at a group of enemies even though you’re standing in the middle of them without effecting you. 4,000 gp, Complete Mage pg 127.Hmm, are those the cheapest magic rings in the game, given that you get a pair?

Fanged Ring is an amusing backup weapon.

Person_Man
2010-08-09, 03:18 PM
Since there are four of them, you could go for the Captain Planet-ish route and give each one a toned down Ring of Elemental Command.

gallagher
2010-08-09, 04:39 PM
Since there are four of them, you could go for the Captain Planet-ish route and give each one a toned down Ring of Elemental Command.

would it be toned down enough if they just got the bonus spells that are unique to each ring? and i wonder what would happen if i gave them a fifth one that controlled heart...

gallagher
2010-08-09, 04:42 PM
Spellguard Rings: Allows you to ignore the spells cast by an ally. For example, they could lob a Fireball at a group of enemies even though you’re standing in the middle of them without effecting you. 4,000 gp, Complete Mage pg 127.this actually makes it much more awesome when playing with a spellwarp sniper or something. you can be in melee at any distance and wont have to worry about accidently getting hit by their ray spells

Greenish
2010-08-09, 04:45 PM
this actually makes it much more awesome when playing with a spellwarp sniper or something. you can be in melee at any distance and wont have to worry about accidently getting hit by their ray spellsIt's not possible to be accidentally hit by ray spells, unless you mean "accidentally". Well, not by default rules at least, but don't we all love fumble rules? (I hate fumble rules! :smallfurious:)

Marnath
2010-08-09, 04:46 PM
Don't spellguard rings only work 3/day too?

ex cathedra
2010-08-09, 05:57 PM
Rings of Spell-Battle are easily my favorite rings. In higher-level play that involves spellcasters, they're absolutely invaluable. I often bring two.

TheManlyFlower
2010-08-09, 07:10 PM
Favourite rings would have to be:
1. Ring of Chameleon Power, +10 hide and disguise self at will.
2. Ring of Mind Shielding, Immune to Detect Thoughts, Discern Lies and and attempt to magically discern her alignment.

I also love these on Rogue/Assassin type builds for the extra sneakyness and abilities to hide your alignment from those pesky paladins! :)

Wonton
2010-08-09, 07:20 PM
For the poor wizard:

Ring of Silent Spells - like a cheaper Rod of Silent Spells, Lesser (though slightly more limited in use).

For the rich wizard:

Ring of Arcane Might - Who doesn't love a +1 to caster level? Also costs 10K less than the equivalent Ioun Stone. And if you ask me, magic rings fit far better into a fantasy setting than magic colourful stones that orbit your head. :smallannoyed:

arguskos
2010-08-09, 07:30 PM
What does Gutterang do?
Gutterang is a unique artifact from Elder Evils (sidebar in the Ragnorra section, it's worn by Irthicax Vane). I won't say it's mechanical effects here (non-OGL material and all that), but I will tell you it is an intelligent item that was once an elemental weird that's since been bound into ring form for Irthicax Vane to wear and to guide him spiritually.

The concept of wearing a personal oracle is TOTALLY BITCHINGLY AWESOME.

Person_Man
2010-08-10, 09:44 AM
would it be toned down enough if they just got the bonus spells that are unique to each ring? and i wonder what would happen if i gave them a fifth one that controlled heart...

Sure, though instead of bonus spells, I would make them spell-like abilities. That way the caster levels are fixed, and any non-casters in your party wouldn't be screwed.

Zieu
2010-08-10, 10:58 AM
Ring of Vengeance: When an enemy creature confirms a crit on you, they are dealt 5d6 of holy damage. Function 3/day.

If some lowly bandit with a scimtar is harassing you, BAM. He's gone. Also helps to whittle away creatures with multiple attacks -- if a dragon scores two crits with claws, he gets 5d6 per confirmed crit instantly. No DR/SR.