PDA

View Full Version : Bone Sword (3.5) PEACH

zenanarchist
2010-08-08, 06:12 PM
Bone Sword

A bone sword is created purely from human remains, the bones are then fired and hardened, sometimes magically enhanced. The bones are linked with sinew and nerve endings and bonded with strong enchantments. However, for the Wardens of Kharak-Stain, this was not enough- They required a punishing brutal weapon that would end any childs thoughts of escape (For details on Kharak-Stain, please see the homebrews Child Horror Template or Child of Kharak Stain). The Bone sword's sinewy bindings allow a user to lash out with the sword that instantly seperates, it's bone links extending and the nerve and sinew extending the weapon. It whips it's opponents with it's sharp serrated edges.

A bone sword deals 2d6 slashing damage regardless of whether it is used as a sword or as a whip. If it is used as a whip it may also trip a foe or disarm a foe with a reach of 10ft and a bonus of +2 to these attempts. A small character using the weapon in this way deals 1d10 damage and only receives a +1 on trip and disarm attempts.

A wielder of the Bone Sword may not attack any adjacent foe, much like a long spear or any wepaon with reach. This prohibition only affects the whip. A wielder of the Bone Sword may attack any adjacent foe with the sword function.

The Bone Sword is a two handed weapon when being wielded as a sword.

It requires a move action to switch from the sword to the whip.

The weapon has a critical modifier of 20 x 2.

The Bone Sword requires an exotic weapon proficiency to utilise properly. Anyone not having the feat Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Bone Sword, suffers the regular penalties for lack of proficiency.

Milskidasith
2010-08-08, 06:19 PM
So it's a spiked chain, but better in all ways?

Orzel
2010-08-08, 06:21 PM
better spiked chain with creepy look?

zenanarchist
2010-08-08, 06:22 PM
So it's a spiked chain, but better in all ways?

Ah tis, tis my friend.

But I don't feel the Spiked Chain is necessarily overpowered. The way in which people use it is.

A non-optimiser would get great enjoyment out of such a thing, an optimiser...well...they can abuse a wizard can't they? :smallamused:

Milskidasith
2010-08-08, 06:30 PM
Ah tis, tis my friend.

But I don't feel the Spiked Chain is necessarily overpowered. The way in which people use it is.

A non-optimiser would get great enjoyment out of such a thing, an optimiser...well...they can abuse a wizard can't they? :smallamused:

The spiked chain is the best exotic weapon; improving it is rather odd. It's also well worth a feat, so... yeah. Making it more powerful is just silly.

Also, optimization is not all about taking the absolutely most powerful option; it's about being good at the concept you want. In this case, spiked chains become completely worthless compared to bone swords.

zenanarchist
2010-08-08, 06:34 PM
The spiked chain is the best exotic weapon; improving it is rather odd. It's also well worth a feat, so... yeah. Making it more powerful is just silly.

Also, optimization is not all about taking the absolutely most powerful option; it's about being good at the concept you want. In this case, spiked chains become completely worthless compared to bone swords.

Mils my man, offer advice not just grumpyness. lol. How do you suggest I level it out? Decrease crit modifier? Remove bonuses to tripping? Lower damage?

EdroGrimshell
2010-08-08, 07:31 PM
Mils my man, offer advice not just grumpyness. lol. How do you suggest I level it out? Decrease crit modifier? Remove bonuses to tripping? Lower damage?

Have it take a move action to switch from whip to sword and have it so one can attack with reach but not adjacent.

zenanarchist
2010-08-08, 07:40 PM
Have it take a move action to switch from whip to sword and have it so one can attack with reach but not adjacent.

Nice....I like it. Changes are made. I've also reduced the Crit modifier to 20.

EDIT: I also made it a two handed weapon as a sword to stop the shield/whip wielder move actioning to a sword and board when a foe comes closer.

backpackjack
2010-08-08, 09:35 PM
You've built some nice versatility there. How much would such an item cost? How much would it weigh?

I think I might give it an unpleasant odor (something what would improve the ability to locate one, say, by scent) as well as an unnerving clattering sound when the whip aspect is used.

I might also consider a (flavorful) requirement that the wielder keep it lubricated and well-maintained with 1d3 hp of his/her own blood at the beginning of each day and after each battle in which it is used.

Just my two copper on a very cool concept.

zenanarchist
2010-08-08, 09:41 PM
You've built some nice versatility there. How much would such an item cost? How much would it weigh?

I think I might give it an unpleasant odor (something what would improve the ability to locate one, say, by scent) as well as an unnerving clattering sound when the whip aspect is used.

I might also consider a (flavorful) requirement that the wielder keep it lubricated and well-maintained with 1d3 hp of his/her own blood at the beginning of each day and after each battle in which it is used.

Just my two copper on a very cool concept.

You have a very warped mind. But I like it.

The hp requirement actually...is quite good but perhaps a little evil orientated (then again what good character is carrying around a bone sword). Unpleasent odour is a nice flavour aspect, but that can go by character choice.

I think the weapon should be expensive mostly because it is so versatile. Perhaps 2-400gp, somewhere in there. Glad you like the concept though!