PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts On Lining Up A Build

Amphetryon
2010-08-09, 08:14 AM
I had an idea for a character (obviously) that combines the Tome of Battle with Magic of Incarnum, and would like to get some input from the Playground on the best level progression for the classes and feats given, and on which maneuvers and to take as the character levels up. House rules of note: feat retraining is not allowed at the table; favored class restrictions are ignored; two flaws are allowed; fractional BAB/Saves are always in play.

The build idea:
Azurin Swordsage 2/Crusader 8/Master of Nine 5/Incarnum Blade 5. I know the flaws I want are Shaky and Vulnerable, since it's a melee character and Crusader-focused builds can soak damage so well. The Incarnum Blade's Brow Chakra bind is ruled to function as Blind-Fight for prerequisites, so it frees up a feat.

Feats wanted: Combat Reflexes, Improved Initiative, Improved Unarmed Strike, Weapon Focus - Shadow Hand Weapons ? (swordsage bonus), Adaptive Style, Desert Wind Dodge, Stand Still, Robilar's Gambit, Vital Recovery, Defensive Sweep, Earth Devotion.

Input on how to structure this thing 1 - 20 is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

true_shinken
2010-08-09, 08:52 AM
I had an idea for a character (obviously) that combines the Tome of Battle with Magic of Incarnum, and would like to get some input from the Playground on the best level progression for the classes and feats given, and on which maneuvers and to take as the character levels up. House rules of note: feat retraining is not allowed at the table; favored class restrictions are ignored; two flaws are allowed; fractional BAB/Saves are always in play.

The build idea:
Azurin Swordsage 2/Crusader 8/Master of Nine 5/Incarnum Blade 5. I know the flaws I want are Shaky and Vulnerable, since it's a melee character and Crusader-focused builds can soak damage so well. The Incarnum Blade's Brow Chakra bind is ruled to function as Blind-Fight for prerequisites, so it frees up a feat.

Feats wanted: Combat Reflexes, Improved Initiative, Improved Unarmed Strike, Weapon Focus - Shadow Hand Weapons ? (swordsage bonus), Adaptive Style, Desert Wind Dodge, Stand Still, Robilar's Gambit, Vital Recovery, Defensive Sweep, Earth Devotion.

Input on how to structure this thing 1 - 20 is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Well, I think Swordsage 1/Crusader 6/Swordsage +1 is better for the 3rd level stances you get from Swordsage - I tend to think they are better than Crusader's. Then into Incarnum Blade, finish it with Master of the Nine.

Amphetryon
2010-08-09, 09:21 AM
Well, I think Swordsage 1/Crusader 6/Swordsage +1 is better for the 3rd level stances you get from Swordsage - I tend to think they are better than Crusader's. Then into Incarnum Blade, finish it with Master of the Nine.Thanks for chiming in.

That was my thought as well. Is Shadow Hand the most advantageous choice for the free Weapon Foci? How do you think maneuvers and stances should be structured?

I'm figuring on using a Glaive with Spiked Armor, if it matters.

gallagher
2010-08-09, 10:39 AM
Thanks for chiming in.

That was my thought as well. Is Shadow Hand the most advantageous choice for the free Weapon Foci? How do you think maneuvers and stances should be structured?

I'm figuring on using a Glaive with Spiked Armor, if it matters.
I think that shadow blade would work perfectly for that, and you should also give some bit of focus to desert wind for their additions. diamond mind and iron heart are going to also pay off a few dividends

Amphetryon
2010-08-09, 11:01 AM
I think that shadow blade would work perfectly for that, and you should also give some bit of focus to desert wind for their additions. diamond mind and iron heart are going to also pay off a few dividends

Iron Heart requires Warblade or a spare feat; I have neither.