PDA

View Full Version : saving time, magic: the gathering - dnd conversion

big teej
2010-08-09, 04:43 PM
greetings members of the playground. I am in need of help and am trying to save myself alot of work and headaches...

is anyone here aware of a simple, quick, and efficient way to convert a Magic: The Gathering creature into a DnD monster?

why?
I used to be a huge magic player, and I'm going to make a random encounter generator filled with (almost) nothing but monsters from magic

any help in this would be GREATLY appreciated, and worth 80 gagillion internets!!!

failing this, if anybody would be willing to help me with said conversions, that too would be appreciated... but I'd rather find a way to do it on my own that's quick and simple.

thanks in advance

DracoDei
2010-08-09, 07:13 PM
Well, for pure combat creatures (rather than ones with Utility powers), the difficulty of playing a creature should map approximately to its CR... a VERY rough approximation for none artifact creatures with no special casting requirements is that CR is about twice the converted casting cost.

Artifact creatures should be constructs. Goblins are Humanoid (Goblinoid), Giants are giants, and Dragons are dragons. Black has most of the Undead. Note that some things might fit into the D&D categories I mentioned, despite not matching the MtG descriptions I gave.

Other than that, I can't really help you with creature types (not that it is that hard just based on the individual picture).

Anything with First Strike should probably either get good Hide and Move Silently OR Invisibility + Move Silently OR get Improve Initiative AND a very high Dex... actually both Reach (remember a lance/spear in Magic gives a creature first strike) and ranged attacks could also count.

Trample... actually maps most directly to Spring Attack (with Tumble for moving through threatened areas?) or maybe even pounce... which is unfortunate, since those aren't really very good matches.

Someone did up the Phyrexian eternal metal... don't remember where.

big teej
2010-08-11, 03:07 PM
I meant more along the lines of specific creatures,

i.e. "help me stat out a flametongue kavu"

But I appreciate the help.