PDA

View Full Version : Goodberry martini olive and other stupid druid tricks

derfenrirwolv
2010-08-09, 10:06 PM
Thanks to pathfinders no xp and FINDABLE processes for making magic items, my mounted dwarven druid has taken up potion brewing

- all potions are a minimum 100 proof alchohol.

- I was thinking about putting a goodberry in every bottle. The berry would have to be renewed every once in a while, but you should be able to chew one in the same action you're drinking the potion in, for an extra hp.

-I was also going to teach the horse to drink potions off of a bandolier kept on the saddle. I could use gourds to hold the potions and then have the horse just eat the gourd whole to get the potion. Perhaps profession: cook for the gourds?

Yukitsu
2010-08-09, 10:26 PM
Is there a spell that helps with drunk horses? You may want to add that to your potions list.

Starscream
2010-08-09, 10:30 PM
Complete Arcane introduces Potion Tiles, small bits of ceramic that you snap to get the effects of a potion.

Complete Scoundrel features the old Poison Tooth trick, where you crack open a fake tooth and spit poison at someone (or swallow it if you are captured or something).

Combine these ideas: ceramic potion teeth. Bite down for an emergency dose of CLW! Could have all sorts of other uses as well.

* Bulls Strength - can be used when you are tied up, giving extra boost when you try to break your bonds. Cat's grace may help as well.
* Delay Poison - Safely drink poison without anyone being able to tell you are protected. Recreate the Iocane Powder scene from Princess Bride without needing to build up an immunity.
* Tree Shape - Classy way to escape a grapple without somatic components
* Meld Into Stone - Likewise
* Water Breathing - Emergency Rebreather. Also handy because normal potions are not very sensible underwater.
* Grease - Again with the emergency escaping.
* Feather Fall/Fly - Hard to fumble for potions when you've just been thrown off a cliff.

W3bDragon
2010-08-09, 10:46 PM
- I was thinking about putting a goodberry in every bottle. The berry would have to be renewed every once in a while, but you should be able to chew one in the same action you're drinking the potion in, for an extra hp.

While its a nice touch, I suspect that by RAW, drinking a potion and eating a goodberry are two seperate actions. Drinking a potion is a standard action. If a DM rules that eating just 1 goodberry is a free action, then it should work I guess.

Darius Rae
2010-08-09, 11:15 PM
While its a nice touch, I suspect that by RAW, drinking a potion and eating a goodberry are two seperate actions. Drinking a potion is a standard action. If a DM rules that eating just 1 goodberry is a free action, then it should work I guess.

Rule of cool. It isn't being used to break the game and will not be incredibly useful, but it is nice flavor. Also, use prestidigitation for flavoring.

Another_Poet
2010-08-09, 11:17 PM
Thanks to pathfinders no xp and FINDABLE processes for making magic items, my mounted dwarven druid has taken up potion brewing

- all potions are a minimum 100 proof alchohol.

i love you.

The rules state that a potion is 1 ounce, which is the same as a single shot of tequila. This makes me worry about the following problems:

1. If drinking something that small is a standard action, eating the berry is going to be a whole other action

2. That berry is going to clog the mouth of the tiny bottle, preventing libation.

Additionally, if the potion is administered to an unconscious character with throat-rubbing, they are likely to choke and die.

That said, it is awesome.

-I was also going to teach the horse to drink potions off of a bandolier kept on the saddle. I could use gourds to hold the potions and then have the horse just eat the gourd whole to get the potion. Perhaps profession: cook for the gourds?

Should maybe require an extra trick for the horse? otherwise have to make that tough handle animal check. Alternately, increase the cost to make the potions since the horse is going to spill so much of it while chomping through the gourd, so there needs to be more there.

That said, with some kind of balancing mechanism, I would allow it.

W3bDragon
2010-08-09, 11:49 PM
Rule of cool.

I agree, however since this isn't a one-off desperate attempt, but a bunch of potions that he'll make, it would be nice to have an actual mechanism for how it worked.

Maybe you could use the Goodberry spell while you make the potions, so that the effect of 1 Goodberry is added in during creation. Might take some research, but would be cool.

derfenrirwolv
2010-08-10, 01:43 AM
i love you.

you're not getting my bud light goodberry tequilia.

1. If drinking something that small is a standard action, eating the berry is going to be a whole other action

there's no action listed on eating the berries. Walking and chewing bubble gum at the same time is synonymous with doing something easy, so it should be easy to chew and walk or fight at the same time. At the very least on round 1 you would drink the potion and be left with goodberry's in your mouth that would be a free action to swallow the next round.

2. That berry is going to clog the mouth of the tiny bottle, preventing libation.

I could either make it a big gulp style opening, or make the goodberry a techilia worm. you finish off at the end.

3) Additionally, if the potion is administered to an unconscious character with throat-rubbing, they are likely to choke and die.

Nah, takes a while to die from choking, especially in D&D.

Should maybe require an extra trick for the horse?

That was the plan. Druid companions get lots of them, and speak with animals helps.

otherwise have to make that tough handle animal check. Alternately, increase the cost to make the potions since the horse is going to spill so much of it while chomping through the gourd, so there needs to be more there.

well that was the reason for an edible (to a horse) gourd. He can just chew/eat the whole thing, the crunchy outer shell and the soft chewy center.

potatocubed
2010-08-10, 07:29 AM
Could you goodberry some juniper berries and make goodgin?

Marnath
2010-08-10, 02:03 PM
Could you goodberry some juniper berries and make goodgin?

I don't remember where, but i know i've seen goodberry wine in a book before.

urbanpirate
2010-08-10, 07:26 PM
goodberry raspberries for lambic:smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:

The Glyphstone
2010-08-10, 07:32 PM
Have two kinds of potions. The human-drinking ones are made with a grain mash base, while the horses drink potions based in hops and barley. This way, you have Whiskey for your men and Beer for your horses.
[/obscure country music reference]

MachineWraith
2010-08-10, 08:15 PM
This thread is made of win.

I agree that the horse potions should be a trick, but you've said that was the plan anyway. The goodberry martini olive is pure class.

Skorj
2010-08-10, 08:25 PM
Additionally, if the potion is administered to an unconscious character with throat-rubbing, they are likely to choke and die.

That said, it is awesome.

Don't you mean "they are likely to begin drowning, which restores them to 0 HP thanks to drown-to-heal"? :smallbiggrin: Sorry, had to go there.

Yes, awesome idea. Really, as long as it doesn't change the duration of the goodberry, I'd allow it, since it's mostly just refluffing.

Coidzor
2010-08-10, 08:37 PM
Complete Arcane introduces Potion Tiles, small bits of ceramic that you snap to get the effects of a potion.

Complete Scoundrel features the old Poison Tooth trick, where you crack open a fake tooth and spit poison at someone (or swallow it if you are captured or something).

Combine these ideas: ceramic potion teeth. Bite down for an emergency dose of CLW! Could have all sorts of other uses as well.

Awesome. :smallamused:

OracleofWuffing
2010-08-10, 10:34 PM

I could either make it a big gulp style opening, or make the goodberry a techilia worm. you finish off at the end.

Ramune (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramune). You use the berry as a cap/cork to the beverage, and retrieve the berry afterwards.

Don't ask me how you do it, don't ask me how easy it is, all I know is that my brother won't shut up about this concept, so it's your problem now! :smallannoyed: