PDA

View Full Version : A random chemistry question

Fortuna
2010-08-10, 03:33 AM
I'm studying high school organic chemistry at school at the moment (read: I just read the organic chemistry chapter of an old Atkin's General Chemistry book), and I've been wondering about something. Both my teacher and the book proved singularly unhelpful, so I turn to the playground.

First question, which I need the answer to to phrase the second question: if we have a straight-chain hydrocarbon C5H8, in which there are two carbon-carbon double bonds instead of a carbon-carbon triple bond, how do we name it? How do we distinguish in the name between the two structural isomers?

Astrella
2010-08-10, 03:38 AM
I believe, if for example the double bonds are at the ends of the molecule it would be 1,4-dipentene. (It's been a few years since I had to do any naming of molecules, so don't take my word on it.)

Fortuna
2010-08-10, 03:49 AM
That sounds plausible. My next question is significantly more complicated.

Take, for example, 1,2,4,5-tetrachloro-1,4-dipentene. Is it possible to distinguish between the four (by my count) geometric isomers in naming this molecule? If so, how?

Iruka
2010-08-10, 04:15 AM
With geometric isomers, do you mean stereoisomers?

Fortuna
2010-08-10, 04:19 AM
Yes, I think. Geometric as opposed to structural.

Teddy
2010-08-10, 04:22 AM
That sounds plausible. My next question is significantly more complicated.

Take, for example, 1,2,4,5-tetrachloro-1,4-dipentene. Is it possible to distinguish between the four (by my count) geometric isomers in naming this molecule? If so, how?

I counted 3: Cis-Cis, Cis-Trans and Trans-Trans (Trans-Cis is the same as Cis-Trans turned 180 degrees). I'm not sure on how to distinguish them, though

Elder Tsofu
2010-08-10, 04:24 AM
Like this?

Depending on how the substitutes sit on the two double bound C.
E= opposite side
Z= same side (zuzammen)

http://i681.photobucket.com/albums/vv173/Tsofu/1.png

Fortuna
2010-08-10, 04:26 AM
That makes a good deal of sense. Thank you. Where did you get the images?

Elder Tsofu
2010-08-10, 04:31 AM
Created it in Symyx draw, nifty (and free) tool when you have to draw your own structures.
http://www.symyx.com/downloads/

But it seems like I was ninjad by Teddy, giving the same answer. :smalltongue:

Eldan
2010-08-10, 06:12 AM
Yeah. The two possible terminologies are cis/trans or E/Z, depending what else is on the chain.

Oh god horrible memories of Organic chem II.

Nomrom
2010-08-10, 07:10 AM
In about three hours, I'll be taking my ochem 2 final. I can't wait to be done with the class. Of course, In three weeks I'll be starting another chemistry course, so I guess it never really ends.

Eldan
2010-08-10, 08:40 AM
It did for me. But then, I'm not actually a chemist.

It was just that biologists were forced to take Chemistry I, Organic Chemistry I+II, Physical Chemistry I+II, Analytical Chemistry I+II and one other I can't remember the exact name off during the first two years. And most likely, I'll never use most if it ever again.

Asta Kask
2010-08-10, 01:30 PM
Am I the only person in the world to like Organic Chemistry?

GrlumpTheElder
2010-08-10, 01:37 PM

I enjoyed it, when I did it.

I counted 3: Cis-Cis, Cis-Trans and Trans-Trans (Trans-Cis is the same as Cis-Trans turned 180 degrees). I'm not sure on how to distinguish them, though

Hmm, never come across Cis-Cis or Trans-Trans before.

mangosta71
2010-08-10, 02:55 PM
Hmm, never come across Cis-Cis or Trans-Trans before.

It's a less common conformation because it's a higher energy state.

Elder Tsofu
2010-08-10, 03:12 PM

Loved it, thinking of getting a master in chemistry - or maybe a bachelor.
Just for fun.

Lioness
2010-08-10, 04:50 PM

Nope. I loves it.

Forget all the stupid analytical stuff, that requires maths, I like organic.

Don Julio Anejo
2010-08-10, 11:09 PM
Oh god I have my analytical chem final next Wednesday and my organic II next Friday.. :eek:

Anyone care to send me some cyanide? :annoyed:

Eldan
2010-08-11, 02:27 AM
If you want cyanide, just eat some raw cassava.

Anyway, I preferred analytical chemistry over organic or inorganic. At least our exam was a three hour long logic puzzle, and I'm good at those.

Teddy
2010-08-11, 02:30 AM

I did. I quite liked how heavily structured it was. Then, after we finished the Organic Chemistry, we went on to Biologic Macro-Molecules, where everything is abbreviated and made as uncomplicated as possible. The difference was quite confusing (and I must say that I liked the Organic Chemistry better, just because of that).

Eldan
2010-08-11, 04:11 AM
After a while it just gets too tedious for biochemists to name everything correctly. Yes, it's abbreviations of abbreviations of abbreviations, but it's just the only way that works.
Though in the end, they usually end up with three letters and two numbers.

GrlumpTheElder
2010-08-11, 04:18 AM
Forget all the stupid analytical stuff, that requires maths, I like organic.

I still get confused with the nmr...

Infrared Spec is ok

Teddy
2010-08-11, 04:28 AM
After a while it just gets too tedious for biochemists to name everything correctly. Yes, it's abbreviations of abbreviations of abbreviations, but it's just the only way that works.
Though in the end, they usually end up with three letters and two numbers.

Yeah, I know that, and I think I said something along that line when I explained the difference between organic chemistry and biochemistry to my parents, and pretty much everyone else who was willing to listen. :smallamused:

Don Julio Anejo
2010-08-11, 05:16 AM
Anyway, I preferred analytical chemistry over organic or inorganic. At least our exam was a three hour long logic puzzle, and I'm good at those.
Organic is OK for us, it's going to be all reaction mechanisms. My prof is pretty anal about little electron pushing arrows but in the end it's just going to be memorizing a few dozen mechanisms and the exam will involve stuff like "how would you make this molecule" or "show a Robinson Annulation for this thingimajig from these two whatchamacallits"

Analytical on the other hand... I'll bet you my right hand 75% of it will involve electrochemistry (I HATE electrochemistry. Sorry, didn't emphasize it enough. I despise electrochemistry). I can probably use my TI-89 but it ain't gonna help me much if I still get confused as to which side is the anode or the cathode and which way the minus sign goes. That's after like... 5 classes that involved it. The other 25% is going to be on systematic treatment of equilibrium. It's as much fun as it sounds, but you probably already know that.

Lioness
2010-08-11, 05:32 AM
Analytical chemistry-wise, I hate Atomic Ab(d?)sorption spectroscopy and chromatography. The teacher never really explained it properly, so I don't understand it at all.

Equilibrium is fine, because I've memorised Le Chatelier's principle, and that's pretty much all we get tested on. Electrochemistry...again, not so great, but manageable. I get confused as well.

Eldan
2010-08-11, 05:59 AM
Organic is OK for us, it's going to be all reaction mechanisms. My prof is pretty anal about little electron pushing arrows but in the end it's just going to be memorizing a few dozen mechanisms and the exam will involve stuff like "how would you make this molecule" or "show a Robinson Annulation for this thingimajig from these two whatchamacallits"

Analytical on the other hand... I'll bet you my right hand 75% of it will involve electrochemistry (I HATE electrochemistry. Sorry, didn't emphasize it enough. I despise electrochemistry). I can probably use my TI-89 but it ain't gonna help me much if I still get confused as to which side is the anode or the cathode and which way the minus sign goes. That's after like... 5 classes that involved it. The other 25% is going to be on systematic treatment of equilibrium. It's as much fun as it sounds, but you probably already know that.

Ah. Our analytical course mainly involved "here's the result of four different analyses (proton NMR, infrared, mass and so on), draw a possible structure for the entire molecule". Got difficult, but a logical process, at least.

Our organic chem exam was pretty much the same either "You have this, you want that, what do you do", "Do an X reaction on this molecule pair", "Show this reaction in detail", "What's the name of this exam" and so on. I just dislike memorizing dozens of mechanisms and functional groups. Or pretty much memorizing any list of objects.

Adlan
2010-08-11, 06:48 AM

Distinguish them by optical activity, seperate them by chromatography.

Teddy
2010-08-11, 12:39 PM
Distinguish them by optical activity, seperate them by chromatography.

Actually, that was just a poor wording for "I don't know how to name the difference between them.".

Elder Tsofu
2010-08-11, 12:53 PM
Add an R and an S and I think he might have it Teddy. :smalltongue:

Teddy
2010-08-11, 12:59 PM

Eh, what? :smallconfused:

Don Julio Anejo
2010-08-11, 02:24 PM
Ah. Our analytical course mainly involved "here's the result of four different analyses (proton NMR, infrared, mass and so on), draw a possible structure for the entire molecule". Got difficult, but a logical process, at least.
We do this for organic. Dunno, but I actually find it pretty fun. Better than electrochemistry or memorizing a list of objects.

Uhm there's nowhere to stick an R or an S in there. All the carbons are either sp2 or have identical groups attached.

Analytical chemistry-wise, I hate Atomic Ab(d?)sorption spectroscopy and chromatography. The teacher never really explained it properly, so I don't understand it at all.

Equilibrium is fine, because I've memorised Le Chatelier's principle, and that's pretty much all we get tested on. Electrochemistry...again, not so great, but manageable. I get confused as well.
Damn lucky :wink:
Systematic treatment of equilibrium = you get something like a triprotic acid with no pKa for any dissociation, you get an electric cell that uses that acid and then by some unknown means you have to calculate Kf for metal-EDTA titration complex and you don't even know where those came from since the original problem only involved an acid and a cell.

Elder Tsofu
2010-08-11, 02:44 PM
Uhm there's nowhere to stick an R or an S in there. All the carbons are either sp2 or have identical groups attached.

Ha, correct.
Man I want back to my dear chemistry. ^^

Don Julio Anejo
2010-08-11, 05:25 PM
Like this?

Depending on how the substitutes sit on the two double bound C.
E= opposite side
Z= same side (zuzammen)

http://i681.photobucket.com/albums/vv173/Tsofu/1.png
BTW something I realized. For this particular molecule, there's only two stereoisomers. The other two are simply the original isomers flipped upside down. Only works because it's symmetric though, change one of the chlorines to 3-carbon and suddenly you've got both enantiomers and 4 E/Z configurations.

Teddy
2010-08-12, 05:42 AM
BTW something I realized. For this particular molecule, there's only two stereoisomers. The other two are simply the original isomers flipped upside down. Only works because it's symmetric though, change one of the chlorines to 3-carbon and suddenly you've got both enantiomers and 4 E/Z configurations.

No, there are three:

Cis-Cis, Trans-Trans and 2 Cis-Trans.

Eldan
2010-08-12, 05:51 AM
Yeah, not the same at all. Watch the chlorines.