PDA

View Full Version : Satyr (Pathfinder Homebrew)

meshumekha
2010-08-11, 11:44 AM
I couldn't find anything explicit for it, so I made my own. I'm just wondering if anybody could provide some constructive criticism, maybe tell me if I'm overdoing or underdoing or incorrectly doing something? Maybe even just a pat on the back to let me know that it looks okay? Or a smiley face? Or a cookie or two? Preferably chocolate chip? I'll gladly give my mailing address to anybody who's got chocolate chip cookies.

SATYRS
Satyrs, known in some regions as fauns, are debauched and hedonistic creatures of the deepest, most primeval parts of the woods. They adore wine, music, and carnal delights, and are renowned as rakes and smooth-talkers, wooing unwary maidens and leaving a trail of awkward explanations and unplanned pregnancies in their wakes.

Physical Description: Satyrs’ bodies are almost always those of attractive and well-built men, with the legs of a goat and curling ram horns extending from their temples. Their eyes are wide and slanted, usually dark green, hazel, or brown in color. Satyrs are generally nude.

Society: Many satyrs refuse to conform to any sort of society, though some choose to find their place in a small community, generally as a staunch guardian who would give his life, or his seed, for any member of the village.

Relations: Satyrs are trusting beings, sometimes too trusting. They lend their trust to most any creatures with a pretty face, and regard ugly beings as outsiders and unworthy of attention. They get along very well with most other feys and fairer humans, though they regard half-orcs as monstrosities.

Alignment and Religion: Satyrs are hedonistic beings with tendencies bordering on the immoral, but they also value kindness and beauty, and respect the wishes of most any female who says no (though few do). They are generally chaotic neutral or chaotic good. Some satyrs lend their belief to Calistria, Cayden Cailean, or Erastil, depending on what Satyr values are most important to them.

Adventurers: Most satyrs travel for the sake of hedonistic pleasures, such as wine, women, and great feasts. They appreciate being in the company of rich people, and they like to be in positions which grant them treasures.

SATYR RACIAL TRAITS
+2 Charisma, -2 Intelligence
Medium: Satyrs are Medium creatures and have no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
Normal Speed: Satyrs have a base speed of 30 ft.
Natural Weapon: Head butt (1d6).
Song of the Satyr: A satyr can focus his magic by playing a haunting melody on his pipe once per day which has a magical effect. A satyr must choose, at first level, what one song they are able to play: charm person, sleep, or suggestion. All creatures within a 60 foot radius must roll a saving throw against the Song of the Satyr. A satyr can sacrifice a bonus feat to gain another song which casts an enchantment with a caster level equal to or lesser than their level. This song can also be played at will.
Keen Senses: Satyrs receive a +2 racial bonus on Perception skill checks.
Weapon Familiarity: Satyrs are proficient with all simple weapons and bows.
Languages: Satyrs begin play speaking Sylvan and Common. Satyrs with high Intelligence scores can choose from the following: Gnoll, Gnome, Goblin, Orc, or Undercommon.

AtlanteanTroll
2010-08-11, 11:54 AM
Shouldnt they get a LA +1?

sscheib
2010-08-11, 04:44 PM
LA+1 for Pathfinder? I'd say no. Looks pretty legit to me, bro.

Tech Boy
2010-08-11, 05:55 PM
I like the idea!:smallbiggrin:

meshumekha
2010-08-11, 06:03 PM
I appreciate the level adjustment suggestion, but as sscheib pointed out, Pathfinder doesn't really call for that. Being a medium fey, I based some of the racial traits off of elves, which evened most things out.

One major concern I had on this one was whether the supernatural ability "Song of the Satyr" was too powerful for a racial trait. I picked and chose what would stay and what go from the elven racial traits. I sacrificed low-light vision, elven immunities to enchantments, and the bonus for spellcraft checks to add in this "Song of the Satyr" ability, which I actually adapted from one in the Pathfinder Bestiary. Is it too much, you think?

And thank you all for your kind words. :)

sscheib
2010-08-11, 09:34 PM
Maybe give it 'per day' usage. At will might be a bit much. Other than that, though, looks good.

AtlanteanTroll
2010-08-12, 12:14 PM
Maybe give it 'per day' usage. At will might be a bit much. Other than that, though, looks good.

I agree with this. At will was a bit extreme and was my original worry