PDA

View Full Version : PEACH - Homebrew Spells

Revan Ordo
2010-08-12, 10:43 AM
Created these last night and wanted to know if they seem balanced for their level. Let me know if they could use some rewording. Thanks.

Searing Light – Greater
Evocation
Level: Clr 5, Sun 5
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft. / level)
Effect: Ray
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Reflex partial
Spell Resistance: Yes
Focusing divine power like a ray of the sun, you project a blast of light from your open palm. You must succeed on a ranged touch attack to strike your target. A creature struck by this ray of light takes 1d8 points of damage per caster level (maximum 10d8). An undead creature takes 2d6 points of damage per caster level (maximum 20d6), and an undead creature particularly vulnerable to bright light takes 2d8 points of damage per caster level (maximum 20d8). A construct or inanimate object takes only 1d6 points of damage per caster level (maximum 10d6). Those struck must make a Reflex save or be permanently blinded.

Shockwave
Evocation
Level: Sor/Wiz3
Range: 20 ft
Area: 20 ft radius spread centered on caster
Saving Throw: See text
With a gesture of your hand a burst of electricity sweeps outward from you dealing 1d10 + 1 / 2 caster levels (max +10) electricity damage to everything within a 20 ft radius centered on you. Creatures within the area of effect must make a Reflex save or be knocked prone. They must also make a Fort save or be stunned for 1 round.

Peregrine
2010-08-12, 12:27 PM
Ooh, spells. My PEACHy specialty. :smallsmile:

Searing Light – Greater
Evocation
Level: Clr 5, Sun 5
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft. / level)
Effect: Ray
Saving Throw: None
Focusing divine power like a ray of the sun, you project a blast of light from your open palm. You must succeed on a ranged touch attack to strike your target. A creature struck by this ray of light takes 1d8 points of damage per caster level (maximum 10d8). An undead creature takes 2d6 points of damage per caster level (maximum 20d6), and an undead creature particularly vulnerable to bright light takes 2d8 points of damage per caster level (maximum 20d8). A construct or inanimate object takes only 1d6 points of damage per caster level (maximum 10d6).

In short, it's searing light but with twice the damage -- one die per caster level, instead of one per two. As the 5th-level Sun domain spell, it would replace flame strike, which deals less damage (except to inanimate objects), allows a save, and half of its damage is fire (subject to resistance), but it affects multiple targets (in a 10-ft.-radius cylinder).

Overall the level seems about right. Some little tweak or twist to make it stand out would be nice.

Shockwave
Evocation
Level: Sor/Wiz3
Range: Personal
Effect: 20 ft radius centered on caster
With a gesture of your hand a burst of electricity sweeps outward from you dealing 1d10 + 1 / 2 caster levels (max +10) electricity damage to all enemies within a 20 ft radius centered on you. Enemies within the area of effect must make a Reflex save or be knocked prone. They must also make a Fort save or be stunned for 1 round.

"Range" is not Personal because the spell doesn't affect you; it should be 20 ft., matching the size of the area. (I believe some spells like this go for "0 ft." or "Touch" instead, considering the spell to come from that point, but I feel that "20 ft." is the right choice here.) Speaking of which, that's an "Area", not an "Effect". It should also specify that it's a burst (or possibly a spread, if it can go around corners).

It's unusual for an energy area spell like this to only target enemies.

Do they get to reduce damage with the Reflex save? Not doing so would be very unusual. The damage isn't very high, but I think the double save-or-debuff makes up for it.

Haven't got my Spell Compendium handy right now -- okay, fine, it's like five metres away, but I can't be bothered :smalltongue: -- so I'm not really sure how it stacks up against other spells out there. But I will provisionally say that it feels right.

Revan Ordo
2010-08-12, 12:40 PM
Peregrine,

Thanks man for bringing the errors to my attention, they should now be fixed.

As for tweaks to Searing Light-Greater to make it stand out, I'm not really sure. What about making it a Cone with a save of some sort for half? Or I could leave as is and add a secondary effect of some sort that allows a save to negate.

Peregrine
2010-08-12, 12:54 PM
That'd work. Fort save or permanently blinded, for instance. Perfectly acceptable on a 5th-level spell.

Revan Ordo
2010-08-12, 01:43 PM
Peregrine,
Okay, added the blinding effect to Searing Light-Greater plus here's a couple of other homebrew spells of mine that could probably use some work as well.

Display of Power
Illusion
Level: Brd 2, Sor/Wiz 2
Saving Throw: Will negates.
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)
You reveal your true power and majesty in a way that all can see granting the caster a +5 circumstance bonus to the next Diplomacy or Intimidate check you make against someone who saw your display of power provided it is made within 1 round/level. Those who witness your display of power are allowed a Will save to see through it negating the circumstance bonus. This spell can be manifested in various ways chosen by the caster at the time it is cast whether it appears as an aura of light that surrounds you, or you seem to grow taller and more menacing as your voice deepens, or there is a flash of fire or lightning from your hand/staff, or the sky seems to darken, etc.

Sundering
Evocation [Force]
Level: Sor/Wiz 5
Casting time: 1 full round action
Range: Touch see text
Target: Touched structure and all parts within 2 10 ft. cubes per level.
With a touch, you channel magical force into the structure’s weakspots causing it to shatter. This spell destroys a single structure such as a bridge, house, portcullis, tower, wall, or the like. The target structure and all of its parts within 2 10 ft. cubes / level takes 2d10 points of force damage per level (max 40d10 at 20th). Unlike normal force damage this is subject to the hardness of the structure. A structure reduced to 0 hit points suddenly collapses. Sundering cannot affect creatures (including constructs) or smaller objects such as armor, weapons, etc. Since a structure is an unattended object, it gets no saving throw to resist the effect.

Tetrasodium
2010-08-12, 02:08 PM
Peregrine,
Sundering
Evocation
Casting time: 1 full round
Range: Touch
Target: One large object or structure touched
Saving Throw: see text
With a touch, you shatter and destroy a single structure such as a bridge, tower, wall, or the like. The target object touched takes 2d10 points of damage per level (max 40d10) this damage is subject to the hardness of the object or structure touched.
Sundering cannot affect creatures (including constructs). Since a structure is an unattended object, it gets no saving throw to resist the effect.

That seems really strong. A 5th level spell is available at level 10, so is doing the max 40d10 right out of the gate. 40d10 is enough to destroy most equipment, you specifically name creatures & constructs as not being affected and should probably include something to the extent of "only works on structures such as a house or a bridge, smaller objects like armor or a shield are simply too small to maintain the power of this spell" or something else fluff worthy just to head off any "but it doesn't say" confusion.

You don't mention what type of damage it is or what happens to the destroyed structure, an ice castle and a straw hut would both react very differently to certain damage types. Disintegrating or melting a wall has a very different effect than exploding it if you happen to be standing there.

You might also want to compare it to things like transmute rock to mud where it's limited to a given size based on your caster level.

Lysander
2010-08-12, 02:21 PM
Peregrine,
Okay, added the blinding effect to Searing Light-Greater plus here's a couple of other homebrew spells of mine that could probably use some work as well.

Display of Power
Illusion
Level: Sor/Wiz 2
You reveal your true power and majesty in a way that all can see granting the caster a +10 circumstance bonus to the next Diplomacy, Gather Information, or Intimidate check you make against those who saw your display of power for the next minute. This spell can be manifested in various ways chosen by the caster at the time it is cast whether it appears as an aura of light that surrounds you, or you seem to grow taller and more menacing as your voice deepens, or there is a flash of fire or lightning from your hand/staff, or the sky seems to darken, etc.

I'm torn about this one. I like it in concept but it seems a little powerful compared to Eagle's Splendor, which is the same level but only grants a +2 bonus to diplomacy. Also consider that diplomacy generally isn't the domain of wizards, it's essentially a bard spell. How about making it grant a +5 bonus applying just to your next diplomacy check, which you must start to attempt within 1 round/level. It should also grant a will save to see through it. It also shouldn't apply to gather information, since that takes several hours to accomplish.

Sundering
Evocation
Casting time: 1 full round
Target: One large object or structure touched
Saving Throw: see text
With a touch, you shatter and destroy a single structure such as a bridge, tower, wall, or the like. The target object touched takes 2d10 points of damage per level (max 40d10) this damage is subject to the hardness of the object or structure touched.
Sundering cannot affect creatures (including constructs). Since a structure is an unattended object, it gets no saving throw to resist the effect.

Generally hitpoints are given for small sections of a structure rather than the structure as a whole. Basically, if you hit a wall you eventually might knock a hole in that section of the wall, rather than instantly reducing the entire thing, even parts miles away, into rubble. As written the range here is unlimited, and it's not clear what would happen with a structure made out of many different parts of varying strength and hardness. My advice is making it a touch spells that deals damage to all parts of the touched structure within a certain radius. Each part affected would have its own hp and hardness come into play.

Revan Ordo
2010-08-12, 02:59 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I will rework both of these spells and should be able to repost them either this evening or first thing in the morning.

Revan Ordo
2010-08-12, 03:59 PM
Okay, I've made the revisions to both spells.

Tetrasodium
2010-08-12, 04:46 PM
Peregrine,

Sundering
Evocation [Force]
Casting time: 1 full round action
Range: Touch see text
Target: One structure touched
With a touch, you channel magical force into the structure’s weakspots causing it to shatter. This spell destroys a single structure such as a bridge, house, portcullis, tower, wall, or the like. The target structure and all of its parts within a 25 ft. radius per level takes 2d10 points of force damage per level (max 40d10 at 20th). Unlike normal force damage this is subject to the hardness of the structure. A structure reduced to 0 hit points suddenly collapses. Sundering cannot affect creatures (including constructs) or smaller objects such as armor, weapons, etc. Since a structure is an unattended object, it gets no saving throw to resist the effect.

25ft/level radius is absolutely huge, I copied a couple similar-ish spells from my wizard's spellbook to put it into perspective about how your spell compares. Your spell basically amounts to dimension door inside the castle and destroy a significant portion of entire wing or simply remove the entire castle gate-wall. What happens if you cast the spell somewhere the rubble would fall on you?

STONE METAMORPHOSIS
Transmutation [Earth]
Level: Cleric 4, druid 4, sorcerer/wizard 6
Components: V, S, M/DF
Target: Stone object touched, up to 10 cu. ft. + 1 cu. ft./level
Spell Resistance: No
You can change an existing piece of rock to another type of rock. For instance, you can make crumblestone into granite, substantially strengthening it. (See Chapter 7 for more information on types of stone.) Precious and semiprecious gems cannot be manufactured with this spell, and its effect does not change the monetary value of the affected stone object.
Arcane Material Component: A grain of talc and a chip of obsidian.
STONE METAMORPHOSIS, GREATER
Transmutation [Earth]
Level: Cleric 6, druid 6, sorcerer/wizard 8
Target: Stone or stone objects touched, up to 10 cu. ft. + 10 cu. ft./level
This spell functions like stone metamorphosis, except as noted.

Transmute Rock to Mud
Transmutation [Earth]
Level: Drd 5, Sor/Wiz 5
Components: V, S, M/DF
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Area: Up to two 10-ft. cubes/level (S)
Duration: Permanent; see text
This spell turns natural, uncut or unworked rock of any sort into an equal volume of mud. If the spell is cast upon a boulder, for example, the boulder collapses into mud. Magical stone is not affected by the spell. The depth of the mud created cannot exceed 10 feet. A creature unable to levitate, fly, or otherwise free itself from the mud sinks until hip- or chest-deep, reducing its speed to 5 feet and causing a –2 penalty on attack rolls and AC. Brush thrown atop the mud can support creatures able to climb on top of it. Creatures large enough to walk on the bottom can wade through the area at a speed of 5 feet. If transmute rock to mud is cast upon the ceiling of a cavern or tunnel, the mud falls to the floor and spreads out in a pool at a depth of 5 feet. For example, a 10th-level caster could convert twenty 10-foot cubes into mud. Pooling on the floor, this mud would cover an area of forty 10-foot squares to a depth of 5 feet. The falling mud and the ensuing cave-in deal 8d6 points of bludgeoning damage to anyone caught directly beneath the area, or half damage to those who succeed on Reflex saves.
Castles and large stone buildings are generally immune to the effect of the spell, since transmute rock to mud can’t affect worked stone and doesn’t reach deep enough to undermine such buildings’ foundations. However, small buildings or structures often rest upon foundations shallow enough to be damaged or even partially toppled by this spell.
The mud remains until a successful dispel magic or transmute mud to rock spell restores its substance—but not necessarilyits form. Evaporation turns the mud to normal dirt over a period of days. The exact time depends on exposure to the sun, wind, and normal drainage.
Arcane Material Component: Clay and water.

Andion Isurand
2010-08-12, 06:54 PM
That'd work. Fort save or permanently blinded, for instance. Perfectly acceptable on a 5th-level spell.

Sunburst is a reflex save against blindness, which means closing your eyes in time against the flash.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Here is one of my homebrew spells to add:

Indiscernable Location
Abjuration
Level: Sor/Wiz 9
Components: V, S, M, F

As mage's private sanctum (PH 256) except that all creatures and objects within the area at any given time are also protected as though by mind blank (PH 253) and sequester (PH 276) against all creatures and effects originating from outside the area, but not those originating from within the area. Creatures within the area are not held comatose or in suspended animation, and function normally.
This spell's effect cannot be dispelled unless the dispeller’s caster level is at least as high as your caster level.
You can’t have multiple indiscernable location effects. In such a case, the more recent effect stops at the boundary of the older effect.
Indiscernable location can be made permanent with a permanency (PH 259) spell.

Focus: A black pearl worth 500 gp.

edit: Duration now inherited from Mage's Private Sanctum

Lysander
2010-08-12, 09:59 PM
Here is one of my homebrew spells to add:

Indiscernable Location
Abjuration
Level: Sor/Wiz 9
Components: V, S, M, F
Duration: Permanent

As Mage's Private Sanctum (PHB 256) except that all creatures and objects within the area at any given time are protected as though by Mind Blank (PHB 253) and Sequester (PHB 276) against all creatures and effects originating from outside the area, but not those originating from within the area. Creatures within the area are not held comatose or in suspended animation, and function normally.
This spell's effect cannot be dispelled unless the dispeller’s caster level is at least as high as your caster level.
You can’t have multiple indiscernable location effects. In such a case, the more recent effect stops at the boundary of the older effect.

Focus: A black pearl worth 500 gp.

I think the permanent duration makes it pretty overpowered. I'd change it to 1 hour/level or a flat twenty-four hours.

Lev
2010-08-12, 11:13 PM
For Searing Light, does the light magically stop at the walls of it's effect range absorbing and bouncing back so it appears to be only mildly bright from the outside? Because that would be bright as frack to look at-- at least enough to count as a daylight spell around where it hits.

What about if smoke is in the way? Does it magically pierce it like a fogcutter lamp or can the light be blocked by anything? Does the light diffuse in water, magically not diffuse, or simply evaporate it?

Magical darkness?

Is it real light energy or magic light since real light would penetrate antimagic fields if the light was conjured outside of it, right?

Revan Ordo
2010-08-13, 07:29 AM
Okay, I made some changes to both the Searing Light-Greater and the Sundering spells. Let me know if there are any other changes that should be made.

Andion,

As for the Indiscernable Location spell, I like it. However, like Lysander said it definitely needs a non-permanent duration such as 1 hour / level or a flat 24 hours would be good.

Lev,

The light works the same as that of a Searing Light spell, except it is stronger. Just look at the spell description for Searing Light.

Everyone else,

Keep up with the critiques and post more homebrew spells.

Lysander
2010-08-13, 10:04 AM
Here's a useful one. It's great as a translation tool for diplomacy and it also can be used to may enemies vulnerable to language-dependent spells.

Grant Language
Divination
Range: Close (25ft + 5ft/level)
Target: One creature
Duration: 10 min./level
Saving Throw: Will negates

You grant the target creature the ability to understand and speak a single language of your choice that you yourself know. This spell can only affect creatures intelligent enough to use languages. The spell does not impart literacy in the language.

Lev
2010-08-13, 04:28 PM
Here's a useful one. It's great as a translation tool for diplomacy and it also can be used to may enemies vulnerable to language-dependent spells.

Grant Language
Divination
Range: Close (25ft + 5ft/level)
Target: One creature
Duration: 10 min./level
Saving Throw: Will negates

You grant the target creature the ability to understand and speak a single language of your choice that you yourself know. This spell can only affect creatures intelligent enough to use languages. The spell does not impart literacy in the language.
I like this one, what about grant language, mass?

Andion Isurand
2010-08-13, 04:31 PM
You should also make it a bard spell.

Lysander
2010-08-13, 11:32 PM
I like this one, what about grant language, mass?

Sure. The mass version (following the lead of spells like Bull's Strength) would be 6th level and affect one creature per level.

You should also make it a bard spell.

Doh. Yeah, that seems perfect for bards.

Here's another spell ideal for the unfortunate times the party splits up:

Friendship Thread
Divination
Level: Brd 1, Sor/Wiz 1
Components: V, S, M
Target: Two creatures, plus one creature per level
Duration: 1 hours/level (D)
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless)

The subjects see ghostly threads connecting them to one another. These threads do not truly exist out of their own minds, so no one else can see them, they pass intangibly through any barrier, and they grow or shrink in length as the subjects move closer or farther apart from each other. This allows the subjects to know in what direction their allies are. The threads also appear brighter or fainter depending how far the subjects are from one another, ranging from a thick glowing white line to a thin gossamer strand. If a subject strays more than a mile from another subject the thread between them ceases to exist, but their connections to other subjects may remain intact.

Material Component
A cobweb

Revan Ordo
2010-08-16, 07:13 AM
Lysander,

Nice spells. I also agree with Lev about making a mass version. Both would be extremely useful.

Revan Ordo
2010-08-16, 08:45 AM
I was looking throught he LOTR RPG book and I got another idea for a spell. I'm not sure about its balance and it definitely needs some work, but here it goes.

Intercept Projectile
Evocation?
Level: Sor/Wiz 1
Casting Time: 1 immediate action
Range: Medium (100 ft + 10 ft / level)
Target: Up to one fired projectile within range / 4 caster levels (max 5)

A magical blast destroys any nonmagical Large sized or smaller projectile of the caster's choice within range per 4 caster levels (maximum of 5), whether they are arrows, bolts, javelins, knives, rocks, etc. The caster must be able to see the source of the projectile(s). At 5th level, the caster may destroy magical projectiles with this spell but must succeed at a ranged attack roll that equals the attack roll of the projectile(s) to be intercepted. Permanent magical items like thrown magic axes, knives, etc. instead of being destroyed are merely diverted instead. Artifacts and living creatures are unaffected by this spell. At 10th level, the caster may use this to destroy Huge projectiles. At 15th level, the caster may use this to destroy Gargantuan sized projectiles. At 20th level, the caster may use this to destroy Colossal sized projectiles.

Lysander
2010-08-16, 08:58 AM
That seems good. I would make a few more restrictions on what the item can and cannot destroy though. With improvised weapons rules anything can be a projectile. Evil invincible artifact? Chuck it at the wizard and he can turn it to ash. What if you throw a living creature at someone? Permanent magical items like a thrown magic sword instead of being destroyed could just be diverted. Artifacts would be unaffected. Living creatures would also be unaffected.

Revan Ordo
2010-08-16, 11:20 AM
Lysander,

Okay, I made some changes to take into account your concerns for abuse. However, in the low-magic campaign in which I intend to use this there should be little to no problems with this as it was originally written.

Lysander
2010-08-16, 12:09 PM
This is a somewhat related cantrip I came up with last year. It's not nearly as powerful though:

Intercept Arrow
Abjuration
Level: Sor/Wiz 0
Casting Time: 1 immediate action
Target: 1 ranged weapon projectile
Saving Throw: No

A quick gesture causes a projectile heading towards the caster to stop in midair a few inches away and fall downward. Roll the projectile's damage when it is intercepted. If it would deal 6 or more damage on impact (before taking any type of protection into account) the spell cannot block it. If the projectile gets past Intercept Arrow it must still overcome the caster's AC to hit.

Revan Ordo
2010-08-16, 12:30 PM
Lysander,

That is a nice cantrip. I probably ought to rework mine so that it doesn't destroy the projectile, but I like the flavor of destroying the projectile completely. Also, I'm beginning to consider that I may need to increase it to a 2nd level spell.

Andion Isurand
2010-09-25, 10:27 PM
Flexing Weapon
Transmutation
Level: Brd 1, Clr 1, Hex 1, Pal 1, Rgr 1, Sor/Wiz 1
Components: V
Target: One touched weapon
Duration: 1 hour/level
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless, object)
Spell Resistance: Yes (object)

Any kind of weapon that can be, or has been, modified so that its wielder may apply their strength bonus to damage (such as bows, whips, etc.), is made to dynamically alter its own structure as it is being used. This enables the wielder of the affected weapon to apply their full strength bonus (if any) to damage rolls when using it.
A wielder that lacks the strength requirement normally required to use the affected weapon without penalty, may ingore that penalty and apply their strength modifier to damage rolls with that weapon.