PDA

View Full Version : [4E] Thieves in the Night [PEACH]

CarpeGuitarrem
2010-08-12, 12:26 PM
Okay, so I'm finally starting to homebrew some stuff here, primarily for use in my upcoming campaign. So, I figured I'd run it by the GITPers to see what they think.

The basic concept here is a group of thieves who isolate, confuse, and slip around the PCs. Right now, I have a single minion, but I also have ideas for soldiers and a solo, the solo mainly drawing off of the Lawbreaker (http://at-will.omnivangelist.net/2010/04/1511/) concept, who uses the minions to pave the way for beating the PCs up.

Nightpad Level 2 minion Controller (role is a bit mixed)
Medium natural humanoid
Initiative +5 Senses: Normal vision
HP 1 (a missed attack never damages a minion)
AC 16; Fortitude 15; Reflex 15; Will 13
Saving Throws: +2 against slowed
Speed 7

TRAITS
Night Runner: If the Nightpad moves less than 5 squares in an action, he gains a +2 AC bonus against opportunity attacks for that movement.

STANDARD ACTIONS
[m] Slash (standard action; at-will) (Weapon)
Attack: melee basic; +6 vs. AC
Hit: 6 damage
[A] Nightspeed (standard action; at-will) (Weapon)
Attack: area burst 2 within 3 squares (all enemies in burst); +6 vs Reflex
Hit: 3 damage, and target is dazed and until the end of their next turn.
Effect: Shift to the nearest square in the burst. All targets are distracted (-2 to Perception) for 1d4 rounds.

Alignment Evil Languages Common
Skills Intimidate, Stealth
Str 13 (+1) Dex 18 (+4) Wis 14 (+2)
Con 14 (+2) Int 10 (+0) Cha 12 (+1)

Basic Concept: Move around and stealth, distract enemies to help allies make their stealth checks, and splash a little damage and dazing on everyone.
Concerns: Should a controller be this mobile?
Updated (8/12/10): Removed a lot of stuff for a simplified monster. Allies will take care of it. Nightspeed is now the only major attack of the minion.

~~~

Gloaming-Thug Level 2 Soldier (Added 8/12/10)
Medium natural humanoid
Initiative +5 Senses Normal vision
HP 36; Bloodied 18
AC 19; Fortitude 16; Reflex 16; Will 14
Speed 6

TRAITS
Strong Presence: At the end of any move action, you may make an Intimidate (+8) check. Any enemy within 5 squares whose Will defense is lower than the result is distracted (-2 to Perception checks) until the start of the Gloaming-Thug's next turn.

STANDARD ACTIONS
[M] Furious Mace (standard action; at-will) (Weapon)
Attack: (melee weapon, one target); +8 vs AC
Hit: 1d6 + 3, and the target is marked by the Gloaming-Thug.
Special: You may use this power instead of a melee basic attack at the end of a charge.

MINOR ACTIONS
Attention-Getter (minor action; at-will)
Effect: All distracted creatures within 5 squares are marked by the Gloaming-Thug.

Alignment Evil Languages Common
Skills Intimidate, Stealth
Str 13 (+1) Dex 18 (+4) Wis 12 (+1)
Con 12 (+1) Int 11 (+0) Cha 14 (+2)

Basic Concept: Taking up more distraction here, and this is the guy who'll be drawing attacks away from the minions.
Concerns: Too few attacks?

Deathdarken
2010-08-12, 12:40 PM
this looks cool

Yakk
2010-08-12, 01:42 PM
Minion: should be simple. 4-6 times easier to run than a standard.

Dash and Nightspeed seem quite similar, other than power.

I avoid giving minions encounter powers, because it means I have to track each one.

The minor action attack is really annoying. Imagine making 8 different intimidate checks, and tracking 4 different durations of their distractions!

Immediate reactions cannot occur on your turn. You say make a steath check -- you mean, without any cover?

One cute trick I came up with is using random numbers for at-wills of minions. A move action 1d4 shift, for example, gives me a tactically interesting choice to make that doesn't require me to track state on the minion.

A variation of this might be a close burst power that attacks 1d4 targets in the burst, or attacks the closest 1d4 targets within 3 (and then can shift to a square as far away as the furthest of them).

This does move decisions in-turn, but if you are willing to have minions make bad decisions, it doesn't slow down play much.

CarpeGuitarrem
2010-08-12, 03:39 PM
Minion: should be simple. 4-6 times easier to run than a standard.

Dash and Nightspeed seem quite similar, other than power.

I avoid giving minions encounter powers, because it means I have to track each one.

The minor action attack is really annoying. Imagine making 8 different intimidate checks, and tracking 4 different durations of their distractions!
Good points. I was considering beefing this guy up, though it's a monster that feels like it would work better in a pack.

Immediate reactions cannot occur on your turn. You say make a steath check -- you mean, without any cover?
I could clarify that better...the idea I had was that after the standard action, if a stealth check can be made, then you make it. As far as immediate reactions on own turn, I wasn't sure how else to make it trigger after a standard...should've thought of that rule about reactions.

One cute trick I came up with is using random numbers for at-wills of minions. A move action 1d4 shift, for example, gives me a tactically interesting choice to make that doesn't require me to track state on the minion.

A variation of this might be a close burst power that attacks 1d4 targets in the burst, or attacks the closest 1d4 targets within 3 (and then can shift to a square as far away as the furthest of them).

This does move decisions in-turn, but if you are willing to have minions make bad decisions, it doesn't slow down play much.
That's very clever...I like that. I think I'll steal the idea, and do something with it.

CarpeGuitarrem
2010-08-12, 11:54 PM
Updated with another monster!

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-08-14, 08:41 AM
This has serious potential! :smallbiggrin: (I see you did them in the MM3 format. :smallwink:)

Night Speed Nightpad is overpowered, I usually give minion controllers a melee or short-ranged attack that deals low damage and gives a brief -2 penalty to something.