PDA

View Full Version : Symboite Companion

Demons_eye
2010-08-12, 01:18 PM
So for a game I am allowed to switch out my Animal Companion for a Symboite Companion. The idea is that it stays on me improving my abilities at a rate about the same as an AC. DM has ruled that I do not gain the bonuses while in Wildshape so that brings it down a little. Thats fine beacuse I don't want it as powerful as an AC, but I don't think what I have is that good either.

This is what I have so far

{table=head]Level|Ability bonus|Granted Ability
1st-2nd|+0|Improved unarmed strike, Poison Touch
3rd-5th|+2|Improved Grapple, Improved Grab
6th-8th|+2|Superior Unarmed Strike
9th-11th|+4|Improved Natural Attack (All Natural Attacks)
12th-14th|+4|Metabolic Healing
15th-17th |+6|
18th-20th |+6|

[/table]

Ability Bonus: The druid gains a bonus to his Strength, Dexterity, or Constitution score, choosing which ability score is affected at the time he prepares spells each day. He can change the affected ability score at any point in the day, but doing so requires a full minute of concentration and provokes attacks of opportunity. If this concentration disrupted in any way, the bonus is lost until the druid successfully attempts the process again

Poison Touch: The Symboite produces poison from its skin that takes effect when a foe is hit by an unarmed strike of the druid. This poison effects the nervous system of the target and reduces reducing their saves by 1. Fort save DC is Symboite level + Druid Wisdom modifier.

Metabolic Healing The Symboite can manipulate the bodies system to heal them at a cost. The Druid gains fast healing equal to his Constitution score for one hour. After this the Druid takes 2 points of Constitution burn.

I don;t thinks its that bad but its not up there is much as I want. Can anyone help/suggest anything? I remember a shifter druid variant that did something like this but Crystalkeep took that down and I can not find it.

Edit: Found The Racial sub levels so I am using some of that too.

Zaydos
2010-08-12, 01:34 PM
Looking at it I'd say it's a lot weaker than an animal companion. Most of these abilities you can either already get with wild shape (Improved Grab, Pounce) or do better just by wild shaping (Improved Unarmed Strike + Improved Natural Attack = 1d4 subdual damage). Now in gestalt with a melee character these powers might be nice alone not so much. I think it's a real neat idea, though.

As for the shapeshift druid variant I think you want the one in PHBII.

Demons_eye
2010-08-12, 01:41 PM
Looking at it I'd say it's a lot weaker than an animal companion. Most of these abilities you can either already get with wild shape (Improved Grab, Pounce) or do better just by wild shaping (Improved Unarmed Strike + Improved Natural Attack = 1d4 subdual damage). Now in gestalt with a melee character these powers might be nice alone not so much. I think it's a real neat idea, though.

How would you upgrade it?

As for the shapeshift druid variant I think you want the one in PHBII.

Nope it was a racial druid variant for shifters. You gains a spirit or something.

Zaydos
2010-08-12, 02:05 PM
How would you upgrade it?

Not quite sure. Personally I might grant the Superior Unarmed Strike (Tome of Battle) as a bonus feat at higher levels (inferior version of a monk's unarmed strike), and maybe a natural armor bonus or bonus to land speed. Still probably won't be as good as just wild shaping and going to town if Wilding Clasps are allowed.

Nope it was a racial druid variant for shifters. You gains a spirit or something.

I'm not familiar with it then. Might be in Races of Eberron then.

Demons_eye
2010-08-12, 02:26 PM
Not quite sure. Personally I might grant the Superior Unarmed Strike (Tome of Battle) as a bonus feat at higher levels (inferior version of a monk's unarmed strike), and maybe a natural armor bonus or bonus to land speed. Still probably won't be as good as just wild shaping and going to town if Wilding Clasps are allowed.

I'm not familiar with it then. Might be in Races of Eberron then.

Thanks found it and updated it

Zaydos
2010-08-12, 02:36 PM
Not sure about Poison Touch, it seems pretty weak at 1st level (~DC 5), but at 20th (~DC 30) if you can manage to hit and/or grapple you can get a nice little debuff for your wizard friend. At level 3~5 you'll be the grapple king, but once you get Wild Shape (Large) you'll be able to find better grapple by taking animal forms. This ACF means that instead of replacing the fighter with your animal companion, and a second time with yourself, and you're more MAD than a normal druid (although the +6 to a stat helps this somewhat). All in all I like it, although I'd probably stick with a normal animal companion (I like having my precious little kitty-cat, whether it's a familiar, a mount, or an AC I like pets).